[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

canadafag here, what are the pros and cons of going into the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 11

File: guranteedreplies.jpg (39KB, 640x427px) Image search: [Google]
guranteedreplies.jpg
39KB, 640x427px
canadafag here, what are the pros and cons of going into the military as a private vs as an officer?
>>
>>31766003
If you can get in as an Officer then you should do it, Enlisted may get to do certain roles (sniper for example) that Officers can't but they will generally have happier careers.
>>
>>31766003
I don't need to list them.
Go in as an officer.
>>
>>31766003
>enlisted
You have to be around other enlisted
>officer
You have to hang around other officers

Either way, you'll die in a war against Russia
>>
I have a degree and went in as private and have regretted it.
I wanted to go sniper but have yet to escape a rifle company because my chopper Plt commander wouldn't release his best private to another coy.
>>
Americunt here that wants to be an officer after college. This is just what I've gathered from people, both enlisted and officer, but I'd say the pros of being an officer are:
-More money
-Generally happier
-Generally more "comfortable" experience although that really depends on what you do
-Better for people that want to serve and keep a family

Pros of being a private/starting from the bottom:
-More hands on stuff
-You get to pick your job
-Being an enlisted man absolves you of a lot of responsibility (not all, but many times someone higher up than you is paying for your fuck-ups)

Cons of being an officer:
-Lots of responsibility
-You might not get to have the "fun" you'd like since you're supposed to not only be a role model, but a manager/administrator
-Career advancement can be fucked at times. Some jobs want you to find the perfect balance between hands-on guy and manager and that's not always easy.

Cons of being a private:
-You are the lowest of the low and unless you work a job most people can't do you will probably get shit on regularly
-You might get stuck doing purely moronic shit. I've heard of people having to "mow" a lawn with their hands...
-The money. Obviously benefits are a huge part of the package but if you're just looking for liquid money you'll make more delivering pizza or selling weed.

Again, this is just what I've gathered from my officer neighbors and my enlisted buddies.

>>31766118
Can't you start as an E-4 or similar if you have a degree? I mean that's how it is in America.
>>
>>31766197
Not in Britbongistan
>>
>>31766003
Enlisted:
>you get to play with guns and get more taskings, which = more cash

Officer:
>you fill out paper work and try to tell the Warrant's how to do their jobs
>>
>>31766003

My father was enlisted. His only advice to me was "Never fucking enlist. Enlisted men are peons who do peon tasks and get treated like shit. If you have to serve, be an officer."
>>
>>31766534
This is the truth
>>
File: 1441854763615.png (173KB, 1306x5702px) Image search: [Google]
1441854763615.png
173KB, 1306x5702px
which direction has the most options in terms of advancement or specialization? and what kinds?
>>
>>31767284
Anything above Captain is cut throat politics, you can make it or it will break you. There is a reason most of the decent Officers get out as Captains, they do not want to throw people under the bus for rank.
>>
>>31767284
>the fucking Gurkha teeth.
>>
>>31767315
Navy or Army/USMC? Captain can respond to two very different places in ranking
>>
>>31767284
I don't get the GROM one
>>
>>31768865
Navy Captains equal full Colonels, almost everyone that has interacted with SW Officers agree that they are more cutthroat than most.
>>
>>31769027
enough cutthroat for me
fuck that shit
fuck politics
>>
Canadian military?

Dude, like 2/3rds are middle aged and over weight.

Im not even exaggerrating to be mean. I served along side them.

During their unit formations it was a sea of salt and pepper hair and pudgy bellies.

I think I saw like, a dozen in total under the age of 30 and approaching something resembling physical fitness.
>>
>>31766003

Left, left middle, right middle, right?
>>
>>31766003
Officer:
>Better pay
>Get treated like an adult
>Get to make an actual decision once every year or two
>The longevity of your career is based on how well you can navigate the officer political system
>Your career make come to a swift and sudden end if a senior officer needs a convenient scapegoat for their fuckup

Enlisted:
>Get treated like shit all day, errday
>Pay is shit for the first few years
>Pay gets better as you start to make rank, especially considering that most people go in with no higher education or marketable skills
>You can literally make it to SGM if you consistently show up at the right place at the right time in the right uniform with the right attitude
>Chose the right MOS and you can get out with marketable skills
>ONLY FOR US MILITARY: Do at least 2 years and get out with full GI Bill benefits. Going to college for free is a bit of a lie, but at least you'll get through without crippling levels of college debt.
>>
>>31766197
>-You might get stuck doing purely moronic shit. I've heard of people having to "mow" a lawn with their hands...
That kind of stuff usually ends after AIT/OSUT/whatever the other branches call their schools. The only way that happens after is if you fuck up. Don't be a fuck up.
>>
>>31769867
>Choose the right MOS

There's only one option
>>
>>31769949
faggot
>>
>>31770094
look at this 1171 bitch boy
>>
>>31769620
I used to be a cadet and whenever I went to camp that was 99% that for officer staff
>>
>>31766197
>-More hands on stuff

That is why I would join the military if I were young again. That and the free travel. I would learn as much as I possibly could. Of course, if you DO start as enlisted with a degree, I am pretty sure you can move your way up to being an officer later on?
>>
>>31769928
The person that went through this is actually a complete fuck up, now that you mention it.

>>31770497
Yeah, I think it's called Green To Gold here in the states. Either that or just complete an enlistment and submit a candidate package after. Either way, you can most certainly mustang it out.
>>
>>31766003

Officers are the men who learn to play the game of war.

Enlisted are the pieces.
>>
File: 1472405939299.jpg (106KB, 1284x980px) Image search: [Google]
1472405939299.jpg
106KB, 1284x980px
>>31770767
>>
>>31770767
2LT detected.

After you've been in for more than 5 mins you'll realise how foolish that attitude is. Try watching La 317em Section and see the leadership provided by Willsdorff vs the Lt. It's why armies without an professional non-commissioned officer corps don't do well.
>>
>>31766003
>what are the pros and cons of going into the military as a private vs as an officer?

Enlisted:
In the US you get to choose your MOS (job). At least in the Army. IIRC the other branches allow you to make a list of desired MOSs.

You get to actually do your job for your entire enlistment if you want to.

If you have your Bachelor's you can come in as an E4.

Officer:
You're more likely than not to be placed needs of the Army depending on your path of commissioning.

If you go through ROTC (college) you can get more say the better you do in class standing. OCS is also class standing but IIRC you have a higher chance of not getting the CMF you want even if you place really well in your class based on what's available.

Direct commissioning exists but I've only ever seen a recruiter try to get one of those for someone once and he got laughed out of the building by the 1sg (reserve unit).

There's also SMP (simultaneous membership program) which allows you to attend ROTC while enlisted in a reserve or guard unit. You get a guaranteed CMF because you're filling a slot for the unit. So if your SMP in an intel unit as a cadet you're getting commissioned and stepping into an intel officer slot.
>>
>>
>>31769867
College is overrated. Trade school is where it's at
>>
>>31766003
If you had to ask, then you're only suited to be rank and file. If someone said you can choose to be a) janitor or b) engineer at a company, which would you choose? Same here. Assuming you qualify to enter the officer training program, it's a no brainer.
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-10-16-11-51-58.png (1MB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-10-16-11-51-58.png
1MB, 1440x2560px
>>31766003
What the story on pic?

Here's my choice of meme of the year
>>
>>31766003
>enlisted
Varying levels of shop assistants, and store managers. You will always see some action. Mediocre to good and above pay. Not sirs. Mostly mouthbreathers and scum of the earth.

>commissioned officers
Branch managers and the executive roles that lie beyond. Chance of being able to get your hands dirty vastly decreases the higher up you go.
Good to excellent pay. Senior enlisted ranks will earn more than you as a 2LT, but that's not really a problem when you get promoted. Some mouthbreathers and scum of the earth, and some number of brats, too.

those thighs tho
>>
>>31769949
>choosing a job where you only do it 15% of the time and have only 1% of that 15% of the time of actually doing it
>all other times you are police calling ciggies,staying off CSM grass, waiting on that one faggot who gets drunk over the weekend to fuck shit up again, boot stories, avoiding the depressed gunny, avoiding 1SG or oogling at the glorious sight of seeing him at parade rest for fucking up CSMs shit, being board at Camp Pendleton, being board on fleet, playing spot the warrant officer.....

Yeah sure, you can hopefully make it to E5 so you have a decent chance at possible PMC options but nah all other jobs that actually have applicable means towards college degree is soooo much better than that shit.
>>
Just got into ROTP. I'm curious where most officers go for postings.
>>
>>31766003
>saggy wrinkly grandma asses
>3 of them are practically fucking midgets

How much of a cuck do you have to be to find this attractive?
>>
>>31772896
That's great and all but op is Canadian. First thing you should ask your self OP is if this is a career or easy money on the side for you. If it's a career than officer is vastly superior for anyone who doesn't mind responsibility. There are several ways to become an officer in Canada. You can do direct entry where if you have a degree they will hire and train you on the spot if you have a valuable skillset such as engineering or pilot. Then there is ROTP where you train while at school and get your tuition paid, but you owe the CAF a year of service for every year of school they paid for. You are also guaranteed a job when you get out school. There are also military academy's in ROTP, but you need to be coming out of high school with stellar grades.
>>
How does one manage through the Officer Political System?
>>
File: 14alq54.gif (2MB, 497x269px) Image search: [Google]
14alq54.gif
2MB, 497x269px
>>31774566
>not getting hard at g-ma ass

like, we all have opinions, dude
>>
>>31769672
Left, right middle, right, left middle imo
>>
>>31773107
some IDF girls took pics of themselves and posted them, no more story than that
>>
>>31767284
Can anyone explain the Danish Jaegers one?
really don't get what driving a car into the house (for breaching?) has to do with the Danish Jaegers
>>
File: 1408391262271.jpg (89KB, 720x540px) Image search: [Google]
1408391262271.jpg
89KB, 720x540px
>>31766003
>people with low IQ in charge of your life.

Enlisted

>people with average IQ in charge of your life.

Officer
>>
File: image.gif (558KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
558KB, 500x375px
>>31774566
>not liking midget ass
You're objectively wrong, but whatever.
>>
>>31766003
Canuck armyman here. As others have said, officers get paid more and have comfier work. However, they don't get to do as much cool shit that most soldiers sign up for, but this also allows them to avoid the other 99% of bullshit army activities. It's a trade-off
>>
File: image.jpg (82KB, 370x499px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
82KB, 370x499px
>>31767284
Why the fuck does the SAS have a red beret?
>>
>>31766003
Officers get paid more, and have way better opportunities if you choose to make it a career
>>
>>31767284
>JTF-2
>Who?
>Does anyone else smell maple syrup?

can confirm JTF-2 a best
>>
File: Tinky winky tutu.jpg (33KB, 360x271px) Image search: [Google]
Tinky winky tutu.jpg
33KB, 360x271px
>>31779015
>Tinky winky
>man
Please...
>>
>>31779052
ex-CF Capt here, this is correct
>>
>>31781519
What kinda postings do officers usually get after enlisting? I just got into ROTP, but they really haven't told me anything
>>
File: FOBS 035.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
FOBS 035.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>31781600
depends on trade, usually after training the first posting is to a line unit, then after a period there, to places like trade/div schools, higher HQ staff, or NDHQ/DND staff jobs. All depends on the element and trade
>>
>>31781658
I'm a signals officer (electrical eng). I'm guessing this means they probably wont let me travel for my first year or two.
>>
>>31781688
you never know, signals units get sent on lots of joint exercises all over the world, you might luck out and get posted to a unit that gets tasked with one
>>
>>31766025
>sniper

I don't know as much about this shit compared to half the people here but I heard being a sniper is a shit job
>>
>>31769867
>Officer
>better pay

A Master Corporal makes more than an Lt up here.
>>
>>31781658
Wow the CF still used M113's during Afghanistan? What were they used for that the LAV III's couldn't do?
>>
>>31782279
The US still uses them.

They're cheap.

A lot of them were made.

Bullets usually can't penetrate them.
>>
>>31781761
People have this romantic view of popping heads off from miles when really you're laying down for fucking ever in the worst goddamn conditions, possibly in a diaper so you can shit/piss yourself without leaving your position to maybe pop someone in the lungs and exfiltrate or just simply provide LRRP of some form.

People look at Hathcock and shit and how they crawled for miles or whatever in 'nam just to kill some guy but can you imagine how shitty it must've been?
>>
>>31782279
the TLAV is nothing like the old M113 and the up armored ones had the best protection from IEDs besides the Leo2 A6M
>>
>just looked at maple enlistment packages
>even dumb private purple trades like warehouse monkey starts at $49,000 a year

Jesus christ what the fuck

You could just do 3 years and walk with $150K?
Thread posts: 64
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.