[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

1911 as a first gun?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 7

File: PB9151LP_1200x782.png (1MB, 1200x782px) Image search: [Google]
PB9151LP_1200x782.png
1MB, 1200x782px
Hey there. I'm buying my first gun soon and wanted some feedback on the 1911. I know a lot of people like to shit on it, but I can't understand why. I've watched many reviews, and it seems like an excellent choice. What do you guys think?
>>
as a self defense gun you can do a lot better these days, but as a range toy I'd say go for it. I personally love shooting 1911s.
>>
File: 1352910908923.jpg (934KB, 2000x1049px) Image search: [Google]
1352910908923.jpg
934KB, 2000x1049px
>learning to shoot with a fuddy five
enjoy developing a flinch and progressing slower as a shooter.
>>
>>31760178
This.

t. learned to shoot pistols with a 1911
>>
>>31760178
i dont understand, why would he develop a flinch?
>>
>>31760411
Because new shooters a limp wristed bitches?
>>
>>31760411
If someone has never handled a pistol it's very easy to develop the habit of anticipating the recoil. This is exacerbated with .45 ACP. This carries over to all pistols. This is a very hard habit to break. This is an expensive habit to break.
>>
>>31760107
i bought a 1911 as my first pistol. i love the single action trigger, but technology has come a long way in over 100 years. if i had to do it over again i would get a glock 17. higher mag capacity, cheaper ammo, lighter polymer frame.
>>
>>31760107
Get a 92fs instead
>>
File: 1476339530235s.jpg (2KB, 125x83px) Image search: [Google]
1476339530235s.jpg
2KB, 125x83px
>>31760107
Do it. Anyone who says otherwise is a faggot and will probably go on and suggest something retarded like a .22.
Protip: .22's are for faggots. You don't want to be a faggot, do you?

YA GOT THAT ON CAMERA, SPORT???
>>
File: image.jpg (100KB, 1024x914px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
100KB, 1024x914px
>>31760107
>can't understand why

It holds 8 rounds and its big as fuck. Most 9mm its size holds 15 to 17 rounds. The gun has a historical aspect to it which indeed makes it a cool Murika gun but it's dated.

That being said you can do a lot worse but I have to agree with the other anon and call it a range toy. Also buy full size, the commander/compact versions are shit as well as the lower caliber versions.
>>
>>31760107
Get a 9mm
Cheap ammo so you can practice a lot, it's still practical, and there a shit ton of options from cheap to high end.
>>
File: Colt.jpg (1MB, 2272x1704px) Image search: [Google]
Colt.jpg
1MB, 2272x1704px
>>31760107
Mine has been a good investment (got it way back in the early 00's and it has done nothing but appreciate in price since then), and it's a good weapon overall, but with the following drawbacks:

-It's relatively heavy compared to many other pistols, particularly carry pistols

-Recoil is a pretty sharp. I don't have a problem with it, but my wife and some others seem to despise it. It has a kick - there's no getting around that.

-Limited capacity compared to wonder-nines or other models.

-Fairly complex maintenance if you want to disassemble/service it.

With that in mind, it has certain advantages, too:

-Deadly accuracy. Particularly the later 1970's models after Colt installed new machine tools at their factory. Even the lower-end ones are highly-precise.

-General reliability. I've never had a so much as a hangfire in years of shooting, just with basic maintenance and care.

-Aesthetics. People may shit on that as a rationale for ownership, but as they say, a nice-looking object has value even when not in use.

-Culture/tradition/community - there are a LOT of 1911 fans, online and in real life, and you're never really alone if you have one. Sort of like Nugget owners in that sense.

I'd recommend it, but not really as your very first firearm. It's easier to learn some marksmanship on a .22 then work up to a 1911. However, if you decide against that, I'd hardly call you a fool.
>>
My 1911 was the second gun I got (after a nugget). You could certainly do worse, as far as reliability goes. I've had a few feed issues, but they were generally caused by a not-fully-seated magazine.
>>
>>31760454
This really happens to people?

A 1911 was the first semiauto I ever fired, and I've never had flinching issues. (And the first handgun overall was a S&W 686 with .357 in it.)

Hmm, maybe airshit isn't so bad after all - I'd played a ton before shooting real guns and was so used to gas blowbacks that the real thing felt natural.
>>
Every gun owner/enthusiast should have a 1911. That comes after the basic purchases of a 9mm striker fired pistol, 12 gauge shotgun, and spooky salt rifle.
>>
File: 20161009_145713.jpg (3MB, 3400x1489px) Image search: [Google]
20161009_145713.jpg
3MB, 3400x1489px
I like mine, but be prepared for some tinkering if you get a commander size. My LWCO has had issues since I bought it with FTE and not locking back on the last round. I've tried different mags, ammo, and sending it back to springfield. The FTES have improved, but if I do anything other than static shooting, the gun doesn't lock back on the last round. I've debated getting a new recoil spring and seeing if that helps.
>>
>>31762967
It's not so much flinching because recoil is scary, it's a tendency to try and push the barrel down to counteract the recoil. The greater the recoil, the greater the tendency to try and compensate.
>>
>>31763978
have you checked the slide stop? you may want to replace it and see if that helps the failure to lock the slide back
>>
>>31764228
Also weak mag springs could be a culprit, but I've never had a problem with my Springfield magazines.
>>
>>31762967

It may or may not happen. Some people also say that every shooter should learn on a .22 rifle.

First pistol I shot was a 1911, all of my early practice was with a .40 and .45, and I don't recall ever having a flinching problem past the early days. As for long guns I learned on a 12 gauge shotgun.

I say that a new shooter should get whatever they want as a first gun, as long as it's not something that could be dangerous like a .500 s&w.
>>
File: IMG_0827.jpg (1MB, 2678x1695px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0827.jpg
1MB, 2678x1695px
>>31764237
My springfield mags always gave me trouble. The wilson mags perform a little better. I may try another slide stop, though. That seems like a potential cheap fix. Any recommendations?
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.