[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Pls help me sort my life out /k/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 3

File: poppop!.jpg (12KB, 800x193px) Image search: [Google]
poppop!.jpg
12KB, 800x193px
Whats good /k/

I'm a gun baby. I don't own a gun, but I'm trying to decide which rifle/carbine to get as my first gun.

Here's the thing - money isn't a problem for me and I like nice things, so I need you guys to help me decide which nice thing to get.

I want a solid rifle that can do anything, one that I know will be dependable as shit through all nuclear holocausts till the end of time, while also being a great innawoods gun and home defense gun.
In this respect, I'm leaning toward Fultons M1A1 scout arbine. I feel like If I pack some Hornady critical defense hollow points in this thing, it could be a mean lil home defense/survival gun that my girlfriend with baby arms could also use as well, since its so light. I'm a big guy, 6'4, so I feel like this light lil thing would be really easy for me to manage, especially if I put a nice red dot sight on top of it.

On the other hand, Fulton's MK14 MOD1 SOCOM looks pretty sweet though. Its definitely the most expensive gun I'm considering, but I've always loved the m14 platform and this looks like a really nice gun too.

I love FAL's but because I'm a golden stater, legit ones are a no no. Are DSA FALs high quality. Additionally, is there a higher quality (I don't care about more expensive) FAL clone manufacturer? Plus, would these clones hold up under conditions like The Road where I'd want to protect my family?

Also SCARs look pretty sweet, but because I'm a fucking idiot and I know nothing about guns, the more plastic a rifle has on it, the more I think that it will fall apart under stressful conditions.

Obviously, I'm a huge ignoramus and I know really nothing about guns.

In terms of home defense, I'd be worried about penetration, which is what is really pushing me towards the carbine.

Thanks for helping me out guys. Feel free to go to town and answer whatever questions I asked that you think are interesting or tell me how stupid I am so I can get smarter.
>>
I am in the same boat as you but have owned several guns before this decision.

M1A is a solid and easy to work on machine. 308 is dirt cheap and will takedown anything on this continent.

My neighbor used an M14 when he was in Vietnam and he loved that you could get it dirty and it would still function.
>>
As a person with kids I have always been more worried about over penetration than under penetration. I keep a shotgun loaded with copper 00 buck.
>>
>>31750584

Yes, I'm more worried about over penetration.
>>
>>31750564
Good to know, thanks.

I feel like a wood one is more rugged than the tactical version, but the tactical version has the pistol grip, which might be outlawed soon.

I kind of feel like I am falling for the get your pistol grips while you still can meme, if it even is a meme.
>>
>>31750655

I have always prefered wood over polymer, but in SHTF the polymer is much lighter.

Always felt pistol grips to be lame. Would never even consider.
>>
>>31750655
Wood can warp, polymer won't. It's lighter.

M-14s were notoriously unreliable though, with a worse maintenance requirement (or performance if not given that) than the M-16s in Vietnam, their only saving grace was that people weren't told they didn't have to clean them.
>>
>>31750523
Okay. Since money isnt an issue, and you are leaning toward an M1a, try and order one made from SEI. They are one of the best m14 smiths in the country. If they arent selling any, then buy a scout length m1a(18in barrel) and send it to them to install a proper scope rail, not a scout rail, that you can use both an optic, and worst case still see the iron sights through their rail system. They can also fine tune the gun while also properly setting up your optic and making sure everything with the gun is good to go.

If thats too much effort, just buy a scout length m1a, remove the forward rail, and install a receiver mounted rail, or just use the iron sights. DO NOT get a socom length(16in) m1a, their are more negatives concerning function failures with that proprietary system than normal m1a's.

Now on what stock to get. Remember that the less weight you have in the rear, the more heavy it will be in the front. The normal stock most m1a come with wood or plastic, make the gun almost perfectly balanced. The gun is already front heavy so take that into account.

Now, im not going to say that an m1a wont make a good home defense weapon, but be aware that you cannot use standard FMJ ammo(military type). It will definitly overpenetrate the bad guy and go through the wall. Stick with some kind of hollow point or soft point hunting round.

Youre in california(golden state) right? So as soon as possible, try and get yourself a handgun before the election. A handgun would probably be better served for home defense and shtf than a rifle, due to being able to conceal one in your house and on your person(if shtf). DO NOT conceal carry a handgun without a permit in CA. Not worth the trouble. If possible, go this weekend and get something. I recommend something in 9mm like a CZ75 full size or compact, or glock 17/19. These are very common in gun stores in cali. If youre anywhere near simi valley, all the gun stores are super friendly and knowledgeable.
>>
>>31750870
Cont

Forgot to say, if youre in CA, you cant have the pistol grip and folding stock version.
>>
>>31750886
Thank you very much for your advice!
>>
>>31750584
00 buck penetrates drywall better than 223. Low grain weight 223/556 is only deadly so long as its stabilized and thus moving very quickly. Once it strikes something, it tends to tumble and fragment, turning it into a jumped up 22 within a half dozen feet in terms of lethality. You should probably downgrade to 04 buck at least if your worried about overpenetrating. Better yet to choose a specific place to defend with a clear lane of fire (would likely not hit anyone if you miss and it escapes the room/house) to bunker down in the event of a home invasion.

Buckshot by contrast are just spheres. Theres no specific orientation they need to be flying in to be stable in flight and they punch through drywall with only a small loss of energy.
>>
>>31750523
I've been stress testing a sig 556 long stroke. 11000. Rounds and counting without more than a wipe down, occasional lube and I check for damage a d malformation. Hasn't misfired once and remains accurate.
The SCAR is on a similar platform, which I would say is hands down the best combat rifle commercially available.
Can't say much about classic rifles however. I like m14s, they look cool. :-/
>>
>>31751064
>glock 17/19
I'll just leave this here
>>
>>31751132
Yummy felonies, anon.
>>
>>31751145
I though we were talking shtf senario?
>>
>>31751156
You're suggesting, under any circumstance, that someone in commiefornia should have an unregistered, illegal NFA item? Sounds like a good way to get executed by the gestapo in SHTF, anon. And how is he supposed to practice with it before he needs it? Hell, how is it supposed to zero the fucking thing? Roni kits are garbage for anything but airsoft.
>>
>>31751195
Not who youre responding, but commiefornia has these things most other states dont, called BLM land. They are huge expanses of land set aside for public use which include shooting and blowing shit up. No ranger or sheriff travel off the paved paths in those areas.
>>
>>31751195
You're aware that you aren't required to register, unless some law passed that I was unaware of. It's good if your shit gets stolen, I guess.
>>
>>31751195
>NFA item
>stock and 16" barrel
It's just a carbine, same as a Mechtech.
>>
>>31750523
MOSIN
NAGANT
>>
>>31751291
SBR's are 16 inches or less. You bet your sweet ass that Cali is going to measure that barrel at 15.9 inches.
>>
>>31751291
>>31751281
Holy shit, you guys are up late tonight, huh? That roni kit would create an SBR. You don't need to fill out the paperwork to buy it because it's not a firearm. You do have to fill it out if you use that kit and a 16 inch barrel because that would create an SBR. SBR's are regulated by the NFA and require registration and a 200 dollar tax stamp. Educate yourselves, commiefornians, ignorance is how you got into this situation.
>>
>>31751482
No...the hippy and liberal migrations from yalls states to here caused it. Plus mexican democrats who vote for anyone that will bring their family in.
>>
>>31751396
No
>>
>>31751801
>yalls states [sic]
>implications
How long have you lived in Cali? Why haven't you moved out yet? Why did you move there in the first place? Why did you misspell y'all? What states are exporting liberals in massive enough waves to effect cali's political climate? What kind of hippy can actually afford to move to the highest cost of living in the continental US?

To;dr shut your whore mouth after I'm done swallowing this bait
>>
>>31751838
Pretty incredible to think there are enough shit headed people moving there that after the Californians start leaving for Texas, Arizona, and Montana, there are still enough moving there that he complains.
>>
>>31751482
It's not a SBR. It had a 16 inch barrel.
>>
>>31750523
If you are getting your first gun, start with a .22lr. There are plenty of great choices, see the sticky to help you decide. Also, as a fellow 6'4" tall dude, look into recoil pads for your .22lr to great a longer length of pull.

I say start with a .22lr as ammo is still cheap, and is better for training. You absolutely want to develop good shooting habits before moving onto a higher caliber rifle.
>>
>>31752270
16 inch is the literal border between SBR and rifle. Commiefornia will assfuck you for having a 16 inch barrel. 16.5 is minimum.
>>
>>31751838
>high cost of living meme
Rent in san fran for a shared house 800$, rent in norfolk for same 800$

Food costs the same

Only difference is gas costs more
>>
OP here

Thanks everyone for your suggestions, I think I've narrowed it down to the M1A1 Carbine and the SCAR.

Since the M1A1 is a rimfire, I'm pretty sure that the CA law that I can't have a pistol grip and a folding stock doesn't apply.

Going off >>31752278 , what is the recoil like on an m1 carbine. Everyone says they're fun to shoot, but I've never even touched a gun before so I don't have a clue what that means. Would it be a good gun to develop good shooting habits with?
>>
>>31753676
Woah woah woah

Ok so you want an actual m1? Fyi m1a that everyone has been talking about in thread is not the m1 you are thinking of.

M1a is not rimfire its centerfire and shoots .308/7.62
>>
>>31753836
Cont

Also, the .30 caliber for that exact m1 youre thinking if is centerfire not rimfire. You still wont be able to get one with pistol grip and folding stock.

Now that i know what youre talking about, DO NOT get an m1 for home defense/shtf. The ammo is uncommon and parts are pretty much proprietary.
>>
>>31753896

Hey there.

I was talking about fultons m1 carbine scout variant, the one in the picture, that shoots .30 carbine ammo. Sorry for the confusion, and thanks for the paitence

is this still shit for home defense?
>>
>>31754114
Cont.

sorry im so stupid.

so fultons m1 carbine in the pic is not actually a rimfire rifle?

I thought .30 carbine was a rimfire round.
>>
File: 5816.jpg (37KB, 825x160px) Image search: [Google]
5816.jpg
37KB, 825x160px
>>31754114

In my opinion, M1 carbine wouldn't be a bad gun for your intended purpose but it would be, arguably, near the bottom of the list below dozens of better options. Same goes for the M1A but for different reasons.

>>31753896 sums it up nicely

>DO NOT get an m1 for home defense/shtf. The ammo is uncommon and parts are pretty much proprietary.

I'll add that .30 carbine (definitely a centerfire cartridge) offers 20-40% more energy than 9mm and .45ACP but has much fewer options in terms of projectile selection.

A pistol caliber carbine will be just as small, have the same or less recoil and have dozens of cartridges to choose from. Add in $8-$20 per 50 for practice ammo that you can get 24hours at your local Wal-Mart and the .30 carbine simply can't compete.

5.56 offers even better energy and laughably out ranges .30 carbine. It is also widely available along with a large variety of weapons that fire it. Recoil is mild and not much different from .30carbine.

I think I just figured out a direction to send you. Look into a Ruger Mini-14. They get a lot of hate here from people spouting about problems that have long since been fixed but they're solid rifles. I understand they are a good choice for oppressed states too.
>pic related
>>
>>31754145
Ya no worries, i was confused too lmao. I should have looked at picture more closely. Im >>31750870 and >>31753836

Stay away from the M1, get something like a sig mpx if u want a pistol caliber carbine.
>>
>>31753676
>Narrowed it down to SCAR and M1 carbine

Fucking kek, basically the only things these have in common are that they are semi auto long guns that use .308 cal bullets

SCAR is a meme in CA

M1 carbine is way overpriced currently, I don't think the other reasons people are giving are totally legit as it isn't really a pistol caliber carbine, ammo selection is good enough since there are a few loads that perform well, and it is a handy little gun that is CA legal. Problems are that ammo isn't that cheap, ammo isn't that common like say 5.56, and you can buy a new Mini 14 for hundreds less than a 70+ year old m1 carbine

Other things worth considering are:
Meme-14 (M1A, M14SA, M25 from LRB or Fulton)
Mini Meme-14 (Mini 14 or Mini 30 though Mini 30 may need a harder firing pin spring or other shit to work well with steel shit ammo)
Ares SCR or AR15 with meme stocks

Then there are the options with kydex grip wraps like ar15s with normal stocks and non folding cheeki breeki-47's
>>
>>31756167
I dont think you know what meme means...

If by meme you mean not an AR, then ya i guess every other non ar rifle is a meme.
>>
>>31756260
Thanks for informing me regarding the meaning of the word "meme," friendo

What I meant was those rifles have M model names and also are not things people typically would buy in a non-ban state

If the Ares SCR was an MCR I'd have called it the MemeCR but thanks for ruining my fun big guy
>>
>>31756167
Whats the recoil on the m1 carbine/mini like compared to a full size rifle?

because im a masterfaggot, the only thing i know about m1 carbines recoil is from CoD WaW where it has only a bit of recoil. While i dont think it will be like this in real life, does it have significantly less recoil than a 5.56 rifle?
>>
>>31758509
Between M1 carbine and Mini-14 there isn't much. With .308 there is a sizeable bump but combined with it's weight and CA muzzle brake it's not too bad. It would rock your world in full auto though, which is fine since it wouldn't have that capability.
>>
>>31750858
Oh my freaking jesus stop spreading this meme
>>
OP here.

I love quality. In general.

Lets say I wanted to make a custom built AR in either 5.56 or .308.

Which companies make the absolute best parts (uppers, lowers, barrels).

In the same vein, who are the best gunsmiths I could send the parts/buy parts from and have them build my rifle?

Thanks everyone. you guys are great.

Lots of love.
>>
>>31760759
Do not go .308 it's .300 Blackout or nothing if you want real stopping power
>>
>>31760810

I'm pretty concerned about over penetration.

.300 Blackout seems a bit like overkill. Is it becoming more common?
>>
>>31753544
Payments for nice houses in Texas go for that price or a bit higher cuckifornian
Thread posts: 47
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.