[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

diy target stands

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 8

Is PVC the way to go for cheap target stands? What do y'all recommend?
>>
>>31743339
Large steel plates at 90 degree angles.
>>
>>31743339
PVC works.
Steel is recommendable as long as you can angle it right, but PVC works just fine.
>>
File: IMG_6116.png (969KB, 750x1334px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6116.png
969KB, 750x1334px
I made one very similar to this. The legs were closer together. Worked well until my buddy missed a couple of times and ripped a leg apart.
>>
>>31743339
One stray bullet of any caliber and it will instantly break.

I use EMT conduit. I made custom brackets, but you can just buy these: www.ebay.com/itm/3-way-FLAT-CORNER-FITTING-F3-3-4-Pipe-Canopy-Parts-/271529454653

EMT conduit is super cheap, light, and easily cut with a hacksaw or a tubing cutter.
>>
>>31743339
Have a guy hold a pack of smokes down range.
Just to make sure he zeroed it in.
>>
>>31743434
Those numbers please me. I remember parts of that movie but can't remember the name of it.
>>
wooden target stand are cheap as fuck. Takes a little more effort to put together though, and for it to be strong enough, means a pain in the ass to take down compared to any sort of piping as well.
>>
>>31743463
the jackal I think.
>>
Agree on pvc and the stray bullet thing. Invest in something better
>>
>>31743434

Jack Black's best work
>>
>>31743424
A roll of duct tape would fix a majority of issues. Lightweight, cheap, easy to assemble and dissamble, pvc is decent.
Another good target hold are political wire signs. But theyre low and you have to find them
>>
For semi-permanent I just buy a few 2x2s, cut them into 4ft segments, sharpen ends of some into stakes, hammer them into the ground. Take some tape, rope or nails and nail another on top between two, and blam, hang targets, put up carboard backing, whatever. Light, flexible, and I can leave them in the middle of nowhere and not feel bad.
>>
Campaign signs
The candidate doesn't matter
You can get them for free
>>
File: Plates.jpg (74KB, 650x488px) Image search: [Google]
Plates.jpg
74KB, 650x488px
depends what you want to shoot.

>>31743422
this works

or spend 5 bucks at lowes on pic related. i have a few of those and a few of these, i know not TOTALLY diy but it works like a charm

https://www.amazon.com/2x4-Target-Stand-AR500-Powdercoated/dp/B00VR6XL16/ref=pd_nav_hcs_bia_t_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=1ERK56YSNYHYQXEWPTFH
>>
>>31743477

Yeah.

Told you it was off.
>>
>>31743339
Spray can is your steel target renovator.
Tape and spray can is your other than steel target material renovator.

Place an inch thick rods with paint dots in odd angles at your range. See if you can hit them.
>>
That and shepherd's hooks for gongs.
>>
>>31743464
I like wood for my steel plates also. My torso is on a stand that has a base shaped like |=| with a 5 foot section between the =. Sometimes I add a brace from the base to the pole, but they're cheap as fuck and screws are reusable.
>>
Just get a regular stand.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00A2OA41E/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

PVC isn't really any cheaper and you're much less likely to break this. The wood arms this uses are literally $1/each at lowes or home depot and easily replaceable when you shoot them up to bad.
>>
File: IMAG0111_BURST002_COVER.jpg (3MB, 2688x1520px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0111_BURST002_COVER.jpg
3MB, 2688x1520px
I made 2 of those for just over $35 including the 1x2s. Its great because you can disassemble them for easy transport, and if you do shoot a piece of PVC its cheap and easy as fuck to replace. Also light. I plan on making more eventually.

Pic related, my old range set up.

The targets when broken down fit into the black range bag on the bottom left perfectly with my range gear. Easy transport and storage.
>>
For hanging paper stands like in the OP are great. You can make one for 6 bucks or so and about 3 minutes of work with a hacksaw or dremel.

For metal, go with the offerings JCsteel has.

https://jcsteeltargets.configio.com/ShoppingCart.aspx?com=productlist&cid=391&srch=t

Their stuff is really versatile. Some affixes to T-posts (About 5 bucks each). Some uses rebar for legs and support sections (about $1.5-2.50 per piece of bar). Some fixes to 4x4s or 2x4s, which are also cheap.
>>
>>31743339
Use wood, PVC shatters if you hit it, wood splinters. So the wood isn't instantly useless the first time you pull a shot.
>>
File: PGMin_500012500_1.jpg (71KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
PGMin_500012500_1.jpg
71KB, 1200x1200px
I just use a 2x4 I found in a dumpster near some construction and a big ass rock to hammer it into the ground, and just staple cardboard and hang my steel from it. When it gets shot to shit I'll just dig up another one.

> total cost: $0.00
>>
my range has channels at 25, 50 and 100 yards. a 2x4 slides into the channel about 4 inchs. So two 2x4s with two cross to make a ladder shape. Works great. I used cardboard from my work and a staple gun. I need to print off another run of targets.
>>
>>31745597
What I use too.

Though mine I think used to be For Sale sign frames.
>>
>>31743339
Just lean a steel plate on some random garbage. PVC will explode into splinters if you accidentally hit it.
>>
>>31750397
you know thats just a stand right? you put like 6 feet 1x2s in the holes and staple cardboard and target between them. how bad a shot are you?
>>
Just buy an 80% lower and build your own AR. Cheaper then building stands and you don't have to waste so much time.
>>
File: 882646[1].jpg (52KB, 880x660px) Image search: [Google]
882646[1].jpg
52KB, 880x660px
I just recommend getting the basic ones you see at sporting goods stores. I have tried some fancier ones but its a sad day when you break it shooting a big boy bullet. You can make cheap ones out of scrap wood or what not but they are hard to get into the ground without digging.
>>
>>31747199
This solution depends heavily on how hard or soft the ground is at your range, i tried shep hooks and a .308 will knock them down after 1 hit at 100 yds if the ground is even halfway moist.

I made a folding galvanized steel pipe stand at home depot kind of like >>31743422 but the whole thing is metal with 4 legs, 1 beam pipe for the center, beam hooks into a t connector a both ends, t connectors hook into 2 8'' pipes and those hook into 90 degree joints for the legs.

Dont have a pic on me, but its pretty simple and the end cost is $100 for a nice steel foldable stable steel target stand that doesnt require you to fuck around downrange shoving it into the dirt.
>>
>>31745750
I came here to post this.

Hit up all the party offices for the lawn signs. I've also gotten lucky scoring a huge 8'x12' wooden standup of some local shit candidate. Then after election day you can often hit up streets "volunteering" to clean up/recycle signs off yards.
>>
>>31751095
In a lot of towns there is a municipal ordinance on sign placement and it can be required that whoever places them has to take them back or even keeping track of addresses. I wouldn't just go and take them. Sure you can nip 1 or 2 without issue after the election probably but you could run yourself into trouble just fyi.
>>
>>31751115
I was speaking more of the next day just hitting up the residential streets going door to door offering to take signs. Mostly people love having someone else cleaning up their shit. Hell I've had several people give me a few dollars out of guilt. But yes know your local laws before yanking signs out of yards.
>>
What steel should one get for using 5.56 at like 30 yards?

Or is it too dangerous no matter what
>>
File: P5280015.png (2MB, 1000x750px) Image search: [Google]
P5280015.png
2MB, 1000x750px
>>31743339

I have this in the deep woods. Easy and cheep.
>>
>>31751766

Here is a 50BMG shooting steel at 100 yards.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=1&v=QokV7HzJhG4

Of course AR500 steel but it must be angeled downward. However, you can still hit an edge and the coper jacket splatter is a concern.

I would not go under 50 yards and even 75 yards is a bit too close for me. If others are near then just forget it.
>>
>>31751798
What calibers can you short at lowish distances then?
>>
>>31751814

Most handguns have a fairly low bullet velocity which is what you are really worried about. But rifles other than say a .22 have such a high velocity that ricochets can really travel fast, far and hard. This guy shoot steel all the time and he is still alive. Here is his video about this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GpKZzt29BM
>>
I find old swingsets and use those. Usually can find them on Craigslist for free.
>>
I built a stand out of 2x4s. It holds up two furing strips that I staple torso targets to.

Realtor sign frames are good for small steel plates too.
>>
>>31752311
Election signs work great as well. Those and various advertisements that are that size. Easy to drive around a steal them.
>>
>>31745597
>But theyre low and you have to find them
They grow in the wild around here, but they only seem to bloom every four years.

There's a good crop right now, pick 'em while you can.
>>
File: thisfuckingguy.gif (2MB, 400x206px) Image search: [Google]
thisfuckingguy.gif
2MB, 400x206px
>>31750648
>>
Wood, pallet wood.
>>
>>31752467
Kek, think maybe he is in the wrong thread.
>>
>>31752300
honestly, not a bad idea
>>
>>31754306
newfag
Thread posts: 48
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.