[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Cartridge Failure

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

File: 1474228921941.jpg (336KB, 2048x1263px) Image search: [Google]
1474228921941.jpg
336KB, 2048x1263px
Anyone here ever have a cartridge fail on them for any number of reasons? What weapon was it and what provisions does it have to vent gas?

A few months ago I was shooting my m48 mauser and I was using some shitty Romanian steel case. As I was firing away, some of the rounds got stuck and the action wouldn't open, I had to hammer it open.

Well, I inserted another five rounds and I pulled the trigger, it fired and I felt all this shit fly back and hit me in the face. Some of it went into my mouth and I tasted it, the rest was on my face and I'm glad I was wearing safety glasses.

I doubt this is common, but how could a mauser 98 action fail like that? Was it the shitty (rumored out of spec) Romanian steel case?

>inb4 use green text
>>
File: 1472522674528.jpg (672KB, 1333x2000px) Image search: [Google]
1472522674528.jpg
672KB, 1333x2000px
Bump
>>
Did you hammer the bolt itself open? That may have damaged the locking lugs. Honestly, hard to say without seeing pictures.
>>
>>31743100
My locking lugs look good. I've examined them already months ago. When I use brass or good quality steel case she goes like a champ.
>>
Was messing around with a glock .22lr conversion kit and had a cartridge rupture. Got a bunch of shit flying back at my face and a nice scratch on my cheek. Glad I was wearing eyepro too.
>>
>>31743082
>Some of it went into my mouth and I tasted it, the rest was on my face
Bet that's not the first time that's happened, right bb?
>how could a mauser 98 action fail like that?
It didn't fail; the cartridge case did.
>>
7.62x39 cartridge not firing, no matter that the primer was clearly hit, is the worst I've had so far.
>>
>>31743082
Shitty barnaul 9mm didn't go off in a friend's PX4 subcompact (the tilting barrel version).
>>
>>31743082
It was the cartridge, I have had similar problems firing the Romanian steel case in three different Mausers. All rifles function fine with PPU or S&B.

Worst was an overcharged case that ruptured and blasted shit everywhere.
>>
Had a corroded .357 mag case rupture. They were some pretty hot hand loads and at the time I didn't think that the old brass would be an issue.

>Gun
A Ruger security six

>Where did the gas vent
Out the cylinder gap and behind the cylinder. Everything turned out fine. I ended up transferring all of the components out of the remaining lot of cartidges and putting them in new brass.
>>
File: 1472191443891.jpg (17KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
1472191443891.jpg
17KB, 640x640px
>>31743486
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.