[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ADVICE REQUEST

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 7

Hello /k/

Due to recent world events, it is time for me to purchase a rifle in order to protect my family. I'd like your help, if possible.

I live in the southeastern United States. I am looking to purchase a rifle at a regular gun store with the following characteristics:

A) It must be combat effective. I am using this to defend my family. I am not trying to scare or maim potential aggressors.

B) I do not mind performing maintenance, but I'd rather it be a medium amount as opposed to a high amount.

C) Reliability is important. I will not be firing the weapon often, but would like to be confident that it's ready to roll when I am

D) I do not intend to modify it immediately (weapon attachments, mechanical modifications), but I would certainly consider it if a major happening ends up not happening in the near future.

I have experience with only small caliber rifles, and various handguns. I am, however, willing and able to hit the range a few times to get acquainted.

Can you help me /k/? I don't really trust anyone else for guidance.

pic not related
>>
A 12 gauge pump action shotgun sounds like it would fit the bill of whatever you're looking for.
>>
>>31740399
I considered this, but I'd really prefer an actual rifle... partly because I feel a shotgun would be the last thing a rogue president would ban.
>>
>>31740399
>>31740421
I have other reasons too of course. I feel that I would likely be dealing with multiple aggressors during something like a civil war or (god forbid) post-nuclear scenario, and I'd want to be able to deal with them- at range- if necessary.
>>
>>31740442
Shotguns work fine at range, unlike what vidya may have you believe. Unless you're dealing with sniper fire from 500+ meters away, it'll be fine, especially if you're using slugs.
>>
Just get an AR.
>>
Are there Academy stores in your state? They have cheap AR's on the shelf. I always make Cabela's and Bass Pro price match Academy. They've for M&P 15 Sport II's and Ruger AR's for cheap.
>>
Wasr10 anyone?
>>
>>31740376
AR 15
>>
>>31740376
Get an AR, period. The best aftermarket support, weight and reliability on the market at the best prices. You can choose a barrel length and setup to your liking, but any other answer would simply be a matter of preference.

A shotgun will be buyable in 2017, an AR may start being difficult. A man with an AR beats a man with a shotgun, despite what>>31740597
says a shotgun starts becoming inefficient at 100m- still not vidya level but it's not implausible. Not to mention the difference in ammunition weight of 5.56 vs 12 gauge. Really you should have both, but if you want one to allow you to be effective in a potential combat situation, an AR is the only real answer. It's not exciting or particularly interesting, but it will work.
>>
>>31740376
If you get a shot gun get a Remington 870. Cheap, works and easy maintenance.Shot guns are best out to about 30 yards. You can get tons of different ammo that does some cool stuff.

However if you want something that has more range get an AR-15. ARs can shoot out to 250 yards with iron sights ( more if you drop half a grand on some optics). They are reliable, cheap-ish and easy to clean. You can also switch the upper to shoot different ammo.
>>
>>31740376
Basic bitch ar15 and a nice optic ($1000 +or-) or a AMD 63 which are going for$549 on classic firearms right now.
>>
>>31740738
>250 yards
You know Marines some of whom have more fingers than brain cells shoot 600m with irons right
>>
>>31740854
He's not a Marine who has named and sleeps with his guns. So yea if you are well trained, irons are good out to 600 yards. But of your undisciplined normie then your going to shoot half that.
>>
Two words: Mosin Nagant
>cheap
>shoots powerful cheap plentiful ammo
>makes a boom which will turn your enemies' guts to water
>body armor? No problem
>can be accurate out to long range if you get a good one (>$500)
>tried and tested design, fought in virtually every major war in the last 120 years
>is reliable as fuck
>can be used as a leg splint, tent post, baseball bat or war club in an emergency
>you get to learn about the joy of cosmoline
>/k/ommandos everywhere will be mirin even if they say you're a poorfag
>super stronk action
>many come with a bayonet for extra intimidation factor
>unlikely to be banned because "it's just an old hunting rifle"
>can be cut down into a point blank NKVD blaster obrez in an emergency - in this form it will put a fist sized hole at anything 10 feet in front of it and set their clothes on fire too
>>
>>31740995
The action might be a bit stiff compared to other rifles though, and recently Mosins have been getting a little more expensive. Just saying, you might want to keep that in mind. I agree with most of anon's points however, you can't really go too wrong with a Mosin.
>>
Get a new ak. Around $650, reluable, chrome lined barrel, cheap magazines, and just as accurate as an AR (if not as precise, and yes there's a difference)
>>
>>31740376
ar15/ak47

/thread
>>
File: 1476917030721.jpg (14KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
1476917030721.jpg
14KB, 400x300px
>>31741085
Aren't AKs of shoddy construction? Or is that just a meme? Just wondering because it sounds like the general consensus is AR so far.
>>
>>31740738
>870
>easy maintenance
>ejector breaks
>have to send to gunsmith/factory for fix
>>
File: 10053446.jpg (28KB, 500x500px)
10053446.jpg
28KB, 500x500px
So I'm looking at a smith & wesson M&P 15- anything I should consider? Should I be looking for a genuine armalite?

>>31742017
As far as shotties are concerned, any suggestions? Like I said, I am more interested in a rifle at this point, but I'm always open to advice.
>>
>>31741538
They're not shoddy construction, they have looser tolerances, combine that with a rugged design and that will always fire boolet when you pull the trigger
>>
>>31741538
You can literally run over them with tractor trailers and they will function perfectly. That's the exact opposite of shoddy construction.
>>
>>31742225
make sure to get the M&P sport 2, and dont worry about "genuine", the M&P is milspec, with a good lined barrel and thats all that matters
>>
File: 1470881388562.jpg (340KB, 960x1280px)
1470881388562.jpg
340KB, 960x1280px
Get an ak47. Maitnence is minor, everything is cheap, ammo is like 60 bucks for 250 rounds.

Or get an AR15 ammo is also cheap, maintenance is also minor. If your going house to house fallout style your going to run into these things fucking everywhere.
>>
>>31742225
Second for M&P sport 2. Great rifle to start with, you can change the furniture later and it's as fuck to do that.
>>
>>31743442
But your pic is an AK-74?
>>
>>31743288
>>31743313
Thanks, was just asking.

>>31743327
>>31743507
ok. I'll take a look.

Also, thanks all. I just didn't want to get something retarded and have it fail if I needed it.
>>
>>31742225
Mossy 500
>>
File: 20161019_185402.jpg (1MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20161019_185402.jpg
1MB, 3264x1836px
Piggybacking this thread because I also need advice. Like an idiot, I dropped my 1908 vest pocket and dented the ejection port. Shoots fine but now it looks stupid.

How do you think I should straighten it out without leaving marks on the inside of the slide? My first thought was to take a small piece of wood or something and lay it flat against the inside of the slide, then whack it some with a wide punch to try to flatten the edge back out.
>>
>>31740620
Academy withdrew ARs from the shelves after the Pulse shooting, you have to ask to see them
>>
>>31741538
AKs are built like a brick shithouse. Just make sure to buy one that was built overseas, American AKs tend not to be great.
>>
>>31740376
Get an AR-15
>>
>>31740995
Ignore this
>>
>>31744907
My local Academy put them back on the shelves like a month or two ago.
>>
AR15s are super cheap right now. A decent one can be had in the 600-700 range and built for about $100 less. I don't personally like them,but the value is unbeatable and just about every alternative has been shoved off the market. AKs used to be 300-500 but now run almost a grand for a decent example, I still recommended one if you can afford a quality product (none of the new American versions with cast trunnions).

Also it can't hurt to invest in a decent pistol, such as a police trade-in Glock. Sometimes when shit goes crazy being visibly armed is more of a liability.
>>
You guys are a-ok- I don't care what the other boards say.

For my edification, can someone explain what is different between the m&p15 and the m&p15 sport 2? The former is a little more expensive, I'm wondering why the latter was suggested.
>>
AR-15 sounds like the rifle for you. I would recommend Aero Precision, Palmetto State is a little cheaper. I'm an AK guy myself, so you could always go with an AK.
>>
Im in a similar situation. I live in ny and want something I can hunt with (shotgun only) and use if shit goes south. Im leaning towards a Remington 1100 ($1100) because its semi auto vs a remington 870 ($4-600). As far as i know they will both serve both purposes just fine. Any advice?
>>
>>31740376
Get an M&P15 Sport II. $700 AR-15 that is very reliable and easy to use. Obviously fires 5.56 and .223. Plenty of ammo. Comes with magpul sights. Carbine length so small and easy for indoor use (home defense).

Do it, anon.
>>
>>31744011
Buy a new gun.
>>
>>31744011
like you said use lay a small piece of wood on the slide and pry it up with a wide flathead screwdriver wrapped in a few layers of masking tape. Have to use a wide one, the skinny ones will leave it wavy.
>>
>>31740376
Get an AR-15.

It's the most likely thing for Hilarious Hill to ban.
>>
File: 1326014505203.jpg (42KB, 400x400px)
1326014505203.jpg
42KB, 400x400px
>>31740421
AR or AK. A decent AK can be had for around $500 I'm told, or a nice one from DDI for about $900. There's an AK general around that can help with brand-related questions.

I don't know much about AR price-to-quality, but I assume its pretty close, and the AR general could help you get squared away.

Most AR's (to my knowledge) are chambered in 5.56, which is a smaller round than the general AK 7.62. Bigger round means more kick, but also more energy hitting the target. AK's (and AR's) are also available in other calibers too, so it helps to look around. You might try to find a local range that rents rifles, to see what you enjoy and can handle. More recoil isn't for everyone, and I have family members that dislike shooting my AK.
>>
>>31743442
>Orange juice
Should have been a bottle of solvent with a little bendy straw.
>>
>>31747880
>no gunz detected
>>
>>31740609

this, fuck shotguns. they're not really optimal for anything past bird hunting and door breaching anyways
>>
>>31747596
I'm going to. I was just wondering the difference between the m&p15 and the m&p15 sport 2.
>>
>>31747997
>>31747997

The Sport 2 has a dust cover and forward assist.
>>
File: 1476485241834.jpg (60KB, 500x511px) Image search: [Google]
1476485241834.jpg
60KB, 500x511px
I found this in normieland- you guys have anything to add or remove?

A few reasons to buy a Sport over an OR, depending on your needs:

1. The Sport comes ready to shoot with an F marked front sight base and detachable dual aperture rear sight. The OR has neither, so you would need to buy front and rear sights or optics to shoot your first round out of the OR. When comparing cost, add the cost of sights to the OR before deciding.

2. The OR barrel is a 1:9 twist, 6R rifling. The Sport barrel is a 1:8 twist, 5R rifling. The Sport's 1:8 twist barrel will stabilize heavier bullets than the OR. The 5R rifling gives a better gas seal and causes less deformation of the bullet jacket, which should provide higher velocity and better accuracy.

3. The OR barrel is chrome lined. The Sport barrel is melonite treated. Melonite treating provides a surface hardness comparable to chrome, but does not change the dimensions because it is not a lining. Melonite treatment should avoid the loss of accuracy that can sometimes result from chrome lining. The Melonite treatment will certainly be more wear and corrosion resistant that the unlined chromemoly barrels that some lower end AR's come with. The Melonite treatment also reduces friction between bullet and bore. The Melonite treated, 1:8 twist, 5R barrel on the Sport is, on paper, a higher quality barrel than the OR barrel. Time will tell how the two compare.

4. The other critical components appear to be identical (M4 feedramps, same BCG, S&W 6 position collapsible stock).

I was a first time AR buyer who was perfectly happy with iron sights, so the Sport made sense for me because it doesn't lack anything that I want in an AR and offers considerable quality for the price.
>>
>>31740376
> potential aggressors
> potential

Nigger, you better not be firing on ANYONE unless you're DAMN SURE they're an aggressor.
>>
>>31740376

AR-15 / AK

Use AR general or AK general for which models work best at what price.
>>
>>31742225

If you get a shotty, an OLD Police model 870 would be the best way to go. The Police Rems go through more testing and have higher standards/ quality overall.

Other than that, Mossy 500

ARs- The M&P is a great choice.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1446406_AR_Manufacturer_Tier_Quality_Ranking.html
>>
want Kel Tec RFB, cant find them anywhere
>>
>>31746619

where are you seeing it more expensive? It could be just nostalgia prices

get the sport 2, the only differences are the dust cover and the forward assist are added. Same type of steels, same barrels, same receivers, same sights.....

Both parts (dust cover and forward assist) aren't necessary. In war, maybe, and that's a big maybe. FA is just nice to have and dust cover, well it's another part you can accessorize.
>>
>>31747997
The sport is the basic, entry-level version of m&p 15. No bells and whistles. The sport 2 added a dustcover and forward assist, which were sorely missed when ruger's ar556 came out at the same price point as the sport, but with those features.
I can't tell you the difference between the 15 and 15 sport off the top of my head. Probably barrel twist and lining. Probably other things too.
>>
>>31747880
>DDI
fucking kek he fell for it boys
>>
>>31750045
Yeah, you misinterpreted me familam. I have no interest in attacking innocents- I meant it more like 'hypothetical aggressors'.
>>
>>31750250
>>31750353
Please note that I am comparing the m&p15 OR not the sport, with the sport II
Thread posts: 59
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.