[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Long range shooting for beginners.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 5

File: ranger-sniper-team-hr.jpg (1MB, 3000x1995px) Image search: [Google]
ranger-sniper-team-hr.jpg
1MB, 3000x1995px
So, I've been shooting ARs for a while and I've had a bolt action .308 for a few months. Been shooting them on the local range which only goes out to 100 yards.

I've never shot past that distance, but now am looking at other ranges a little further away which provide longer distances.

My shooting with the bolt action has been sub-MOA at the 100 yard range, and I want to move out to 500 yards or maybe even 1000yards eventually if it's feasible.

I don't really know much about long range shooting though. Right now I have a BDC scope that came with the rifle. I want something a little more precise so I can make adjustments accurately. But I have no idea what is best. Mil-dots? Grid? Something else?

Magnification amount that is best?

What kind of "extras" should I be getting to get into longer range shooting? Spotting scope brands?

What kind of ranging calculators or whatever?

Books on the subject of long range shooting?
>>
>>31738273
If you plan on shooting innawoods/desert or basically anywhere not the range, I'd recommend the mildot. Mils and mildot reticules are alot easier to work with when precise distances aren't known and you are going to do some estimations. The equations are a bit simpler too
>>
>>31738273
OP there is so much to learn and if you;re smarter than most of us you will take some time and learn a bunch before you buy your first scope. By the time you start to hit targets at +800 yards or so you are going to need an expensive piece of glass or at least want one.

The old timer who ends his videos with "and that's the way it is" has a couple excellent videos concerning buying and mounting scopes.

This is one of the best you tube channels for distance shooting. Goodluck and be ready to spend a shitload of time getting good.
>https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqymwlCbVwpMnSLrd-NAQJQ
The one rock solid piece of advice is this. Buy once cry once. There are few instances in our hobby where this is more true.
>>31738434
There are a lot to chose from, maybe too many.
What rifle and scope do you have?
>>
book - Applied Ballistics For Long Range Shooting by Bryan Litz. One of the best 30-40 bucks you'll ever spend.

ballistic calculator - Kestrel 5700

get yourself a DOPE book, you'll need it.

drop the BDC scope and get something with mildots or MOA-dots (whatever that would be). if you plan to shoot at varying ranges, get something with FFP. If you're only shooting from a bench at max magnification all the time, second focal plane will do fine. get something with externally adjustable turrets that are very tactile. research reticles there are too many out there to list. I'm a fan of the MSR personally as it's what's on my rifle but plenty of people love the classic simple mil dot and there are those who swear by the Horus reticle.
>>
File: allmydollarydoos.jpg (326KB, 1925x564px) Image search: [Google]
allmydollarydoos.jpg
326KB, 1925x564px
>>31739086
>>
File: leica1600b01.jpg (28KB, 600x320px) Image search: [Google]
leica1600b01.jpg
28KB, 600x320px
>>31739086
a good rangefinder wouldn't be bad either, I personally use a Leica 1600B and it's pretty good and easy to use.
>>
>>31739103
>>31739092
>>31739086

Good, good.
>>
File: reloads.jpg (3MB, 4745x1809px) Image search: [Google]
reloads.jpg
3MB, 4745x1809px
>>31739128
I also think that if you're really interested in long range precision, you should consider getting into reloading. you can do so for precision rifle at relatively low entry cost as a single stage press with good dies and a good electronic scale are about enough to start working. you will be able to produce ammo that is much more consistent than anything you get from the factory.
>>
>>31739241
Excellent. I will soon be in a position to have a permanent workshop and will look into reloading.

For the time being I am generally using non-match ammo, since I feel it's a waste to pay higher dollar for 100 yard shooting.
>>
>>31739255
you're definitely right about 100 yards being a waste for match ammo except to see how tightly your rifle CAN group.

once you're out to 1000 it matters a lot as you probably expect. a difference of 50 fps in a match grade Sierra 168 gr. 308 bullet is almost a half a mil at 1000 yards (1.5 feet of vertical displacement)
>>
No Tiborasaurus posted yet?

Well, I got you. Here's something better than any book. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwG-D0HjCBQ&list=PLJUaiRIEduNXoal2_PkBZi0vDCIcEPxUn
>>
>>31738273
i have to ask is that a front sight post on the m24? if so wheres the rear sight?
>>
>>31738273
OP I'm not ever trolling.First master iron sights out to a minimum of 300 yards and even out to 500. Doing this will burn a lot of the math into your mind so it becomes first nature and I promise it will make getting out real far a lot easier.
Then start to build a real distance rifle. So many of us try to be long distance shooters but a lot of it is something your born with. Just the natural ability to deal with wind age is a deal breaker for a lot of people. I spent a lot of money and a lot more time getting decent out to1,200 yards but I never called myself a sharpshooter
Years back I used to start precision and distance shooting threads, started back up a couple years ago but my body just doesn't cooperate any more.
I hope you chronicle your learning here... fuck knows we need someone to do it. If you start having regular threads there are three or four guys who will get involved, good shooters all. .
>>
I'm not good at ranging, so I set up targets, have a ffp mil/mil scope, and wrote down what my holds are.

laser range finder makes quick work of it. Its definitely not the best way, but I can easily hit torso targets out to 600 with my "long range" AR.

another big thing is a log book.
>>
>>31739426
>OP I'm not ever trolling.First master iron sights out to a minimum of 300 yards and even out to 500. Doing this will burn a lot of the math into your mind so it becomes first nature and I promise it will make getting out real far a lot easier.
How the fuck does guesstimating elevation burn the math into your mind?
>>
>>31739437
Awe shit your right. OP should start his education using a fucking top shelf Lazar range finder and $4,000 worth of German glass sitting on $6.300 MK18 Mod0 338 Lapua Semi Auto and never be half as good as he could have been if he started out mastering the 200 and 300 yard shot and never committing the basics to memory like we did our multiplication tables when we were 7.

If you can't understand why it's always best to start old school and move up I have nothing more to say to you and I'm not going to derail OP's thread with bullshit like this.

Peace.

OP I hope you get to be the best shooter you can be, just put the work in and listen to those old fuckers, especially when you start reloading. They are walking encyclopedias.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.