[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Detail stripping your guns

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4

File: IMGP1781.jpg (427KB, 2000x1330px) Image search: [Google]
IMGP1781.jpg
427KB, 2000x1330px
How important do think it is to be able to completely disassemble a firearm? For example, for cleaning or spring replacement... Do you ever base purchase decisions on how easy it is to detail strip a given firearm?

Can you disassemble any of your guns to the last pin, and if not, do you have any desire to learn how to?
>>
>>31735980
>How important do think it is to be able to completely disassemble a firearm?
not very important as long as you can access enough to keep it working its fine
>Do you ever base purchase decisions on how easy it is to detail strip a given firearm?
no
>Can you disassemble any of your guns to the last pin
yes
>>
>>31735980
The real question is, can you disassemble ALL of your guns to the last pin.
>>
>>31736060
I can for all that im able. Fnx wont...
>>
I can't only field strip.
>>
>>31735980
I have yet to detail strip any of my weapons. I'm paranoid that I won't be able to get them back together. Even though I have a 1911, which is one of the easiest, and most documented pistols to DS there is.
>>
I've done it on every gun I have multiple times...including a pre-B cz-75
>that safety detent going POING at 3 times the escape velocity of Jupiter
>>
i took my surplus feg entirely apart to clean it, had some troubles getting it back together but for my forst auto i didnt do bad.
>>
>>31735980
>Can you disassemble any of your guns to the last pin, and if not, do you have any desire to learn how to?
I can disassemble every gun I own to the last piece. It's the first thing I do when I buy a new one, every time.
>>
>>31737150
That's why I have the paperclip stuck in the hole.
>>
>>31735980

Most of the components in firearms aren't too difficult to repair / replace. I have done all of mine down to every single pin and spring out.

>Do you ever base purchase decisions on how easy it is to detail strip a given firearm?

No. But, that being said, I DO have mulitple replacement parts for all of them. I also buy the Glocks, because you can interchange a lot of the parts ( Gen 3 17,19 and 26 for example )

Yes. I have even downloaded instruction videos to a thumb drive in case of SHTF or if I want to watch them as a reminder.
>>
>>31737291
The Hi Power requires a tool, that you have to rig together yourself, to hold the hammer back, while you get the sear installed, and God forbid you want to change the hammer spring.
>>
File: 1424720156968.jpg (2MB, 3663x2535px) Image search: [Google]
1424720156968.jpg
2MB, 3663x2535px
No.
>>
i wonder if a small press would be better for pushing pins out, than hammering with a punch.
>>
>>31738995
I rig up a bench vise for certain tasks, like pressing out the trigger axle of a Browning Hi Power and pressing in the pin in a 1911 hammer assembly.
>>
File: 20161019_033527.jpg (2MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
20161019_033527.jpg
2MB, 2560x1440px
I think it's a good idea to know how, but ultimately not required. I know how to on my funs, but mostly out of curiosity than necessity.
>>
>>31738995
Indeed. A small arbor press is perfect for this. Probably get one from Harbor Freight for less than fifty bucks and it will last forever since it isn't doing anything but pushing roll pins in and out.
>>
File: Snapchat-8678278370240986742.jpg (347KB, 1080x1776px) Image search: [Google]
Snapchat-8678278370240986742.jpg
347KB, 1080x1776px
>>31735980

Good knowledge, not super important. Just know how to diagnose issues and what/how to replace parts as needed.

Sometimes. The simpler the better for me, my FNX is a pain in the dick hole to detail strip while my p320 is glock tier simple.

>Can you disassemble any of your guns to the last pin, and if not, do you have any desire to learn how to?

My rule is, when I buy a gun new or used I always detail strip to clean and out of curiosity, after that, I will only detail strip after lots of rounds have been through it. Or I detail strip if I feel like I need something theraputic.

Of course I have the desire to take guns apart and put them back together, I'm a kommando mother fucker
>>
>>31736075
No it won't. If you do, you'll probably have to send it back to FN to have them put it back together.
>>
>>31735980

I don't think it's particularly important for anything other than your carry gun. One should be able to know how to detail strip and service their carry gun in my opinion.

I do. Detailing a P226 and P229 has taught me that working on overcomplicated designs isn't fun to do. I think Glocks are amazingly good guns from how easy you can 100% detail it with nothing but a plastic punch.

I have an AR that I don't care to do to and I want to detai my AK74 because it has a bunch of grime and laquer all over the fire control components. I know how to 100% my P226 and my Shield.
>>
>>31741181
Have the new FNX .45 Tactical. Broke one of the plastic decocker levers.

Called and and the lady sent me two new ones and the tiny fucking allen head threaded pin that hold it it.

Sent me the wrong one.

Waited two more weeks and got the right ones.

Had to order tiny fucking allen wrenches to get it back in off amazon.
>>
>>31741270
>Detailing a P226 and P229 has taught me that working on overcomplicated designs isn't fun to do.
There's nothing complicated about the Sig P-series. You need to jiggle the trigger bar in just the right way to get it in/out of the frame, but the guns are amazingly straightforward to work on.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.