[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is this??

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: 20161018_195104.jpg (614KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
20161018_195104.jpg
614KB, 2048x1152px
Hey /k/
My grandmother recently gave this to me, she said it belonged to my great grandfather who was a major in the Austrian army during ww1. I've been trying to find out what kind of sword it is... I've heard it may even be a bayonet?? Any help would be very appreciated
>>
It's a saber you mong
>>
>>31723734
It has a while in the handguard, so I would assume that is to mount it as a bayonet. However I do not know the rifle it is made for
>>
>>31723757
Is there any specific name to it?
I'm a gun nut not a sword dude...
>>
>>31723734
How long's the blade?

I've looked, and if it's Austrian it isn't Austrian military.
>>
>>31724021
I don't have a measuring tape handy but I'd ballpark it around 30" to 32"
>>
>>31723734
any stamps or markings?
>>
>>31723734
German M1871 Sword-Bayonet, used with the 11mm M1871 Mauser and 8mm M1888 rifles
It is very unusual though in that it has a lot of brass-work on it, that may have been due to your G-G being an officer and had it personally commissioned at the time, but I'm not an expert on the practice of the Austrian army back then!
>>
Holy shit look at that rust...
I feel sorry for you.
>>
>>31723734
rub that down with weapons oil and a rag, remove the rust, but don't use anything coarse and let the patina untouched. Show a bit of respect dude, your great gramps killed people with this.
>>
>>31724091
>>31724149
Awesome, much appreciated!!
>>
Yeah I know it's not in the best shape.. my grandma just recently gave it to me, she is 93 years old and kept it in a very damp closet in her basement. Something I will most definitely cherish and try to being back to better condition
>>
File: suptroopmac.jpg (19KB, 236x275px) Image search: [Google]
suptroopmac.jpg
19KB, 236x275px
>>31725419
take an angle grinder to the thing to get all that nasty rust off.
>>
Don't use anything abrasive. I mean it. Apply oil and a rag only ideally. Kept it wet with oil and the rust won't get any worse. If you absolutely must remove the rust, do it ONLY by hand with bronze wool (buy bronze wool on Amazon.com) and a lot of oil. Bronze wool is softer than the metal of the bayonet and won't disturb the patina much. There is also an electrolasis method for removing rust that you can look up on youtube.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.