[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Lets talk food /k/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 4

File: Canned-foods1[1].jpg (575KB, 2072x1498px) Image search: [Google]
Canned-foods1[1].jpg
575KB, 2072x1498px
Hey /k/, so I feel pretty good about the rest of my supply situation. Guns and ammo, good. Equipment, good. But I wanted to get y'alls input on non-perishable food.

If SHTF, I have to stick it out at home. I have a pregnant wife and I live in a pretty decent neighborhood in a location that most likely isn't going to take a direct hit from a nuke.

The fact that I'm going to shelter in place means that I have the luxury of relying on my stockpile, but also that I don't have much freedom of movement. What are /k/ recommended amounts and types of non-perishable foods I should keep so that my wife and I have a relatively well balanced diet that can last us at least 2 months?
>>
Get into hot-water canning. Get fresh fruits and veggies at the farmers market and create your own super nutritious canned food. Better yet, get a cheapie pressure cooker and can everything from chili to sausage patties.
>>
>>31713784
When you grocery shopping, buy double of whatever canned good you're getting.

After a while and you've built up your stock, start rotating out old stock for new.
>>
>>31713833
That sounds really fucking hard tho. Any pics of some of the stuff you canned? Sasauge patties sounds dope.
>>
well packaged (by you) dried beans and rice.
>>
Those are all good ideas, but I was looking for something a bit quicker instead of doing it myself. So just a variety of fruits, veggies, and pickled stuff to keep me from eating the same shit every day.

Also, this is going to sound fucking stupid, but just in case, how about NBC equipment? I have masks and filters, and Potassium Iodide, as well as a high caliber version of a Lifestraw that can filter radioactive particles. Is a geiger counter a good idea?
>>
Canned foods, rice, some MREs for short term maybe or if you need to leave but want to take some food with, a lot of places sell home canning and vacuum sealing kits so it's relatively easy to get started.
>>
>>31713850
It's not *hard* for Christ's sake.

Fine, feed your wife and child processed foods with corn syrup and next to no nutritional value. To hell with creating a month's worth of a food group in an afternoon because you're ten times lazier than your great grandparents.
>>
>>31713984
That wasn't OP. Just FYI, I'm already looking up how to do that shit.
>>
File: 1474174922209.gif (3MB, 257x212px) Image search: [Google]
1474174922209.gif
3MB, 257x212px
>>31713984
Thanks for that valuable imput.
>>
Why not ask this here, right people seem to be here.

What would be the difficulty of cooking stuff and sealing it in a mylar pouch, like a real MRE? Seems straightforward but no one seems to do it.
>>
>>31714095
It's the same as pressure canning.
Add food to pouch, vacuum seal, cook/sterilise.
>>
>>31714095
Problem is having a seal as good as the one they can produce. It would take a good bit more than vacuum packing dry goods would.
>>
>>31714000
You want the Ball Blue Book Of Canning. It will become your bible. You will also want an energy-star compliant freezer so you can buy and store stuff in bulk and one of those vacuum-pack baggie machines from Wal Mart. Bagging stuff and hard freezing it will keep it for years without freezer burn -- everything from blanched veggies to whole milk and cheese to fresh baked bread.
>>
>>31714193
What do you recommend for goods that I don't need to freeze?

I'm going to explore all those things, but in case power is an issue I want to make sure I've got plenty in the pantry.

Taking lots of notes on this. Thank you.
>>
>>31714118
>>31714127

My plan was to make meals I like such as chili or whatnot. Then use mylar bags and fill with extra. Pressure cook them.

As for seal I'd probably have to use an iron. My wife has one of those hair straighteners I've heard that works.

Any idea on shelf life? I just think it would be easier to throw a mylar pouch in a packing bag than Mason jars. Easier to portion out also.
>>
>>31713984
While I'm assuredly much lazier than my grandparents in actually a fairly good cook. I just have no idea how to can. Guess I'll you tube it.
>>
>>31714224
Listen to me: Get an energy star compliant chest freezer and crank the cold knob all the way down. Even when the power is out stuff will stay hard frozen for three-four weeks. Buy the huge giant economy size packages of meat and chicken and cheese and store them in individual freezer or vacuum packed bags. It will save you a lot of dough and allow you to build up a food-buffer against unknown disasters or expenses.

Turn a closet into an old fashioned pantry and put shelves in it. If you insist on store bought foods, flats of canned soup are the way to go. So is dry rice and beans; they will keep for decades. Don't forget the huge econo size salt and pepper shaker so you don't commit fucking suicide after a weeks worth of unseasoned food.

>>31714502
Ball Blue Book of Canning. Read it and follow it. It shows you how to handload food. It's easy, just a bit time consuming.
>>
>>31714281
a good vacuum sealer will cost you $10 at a flea market, less at a garage sale, just don't buy one with a little black vacuum nozzle. that design is garbage.
>>
>>31713833
>pressure cooker

Pressure CANNER. Do it right the first time, don't waste money having to go back and buy an extra tool when the one can do everything.
>>
Yo what are the best store bought canned goods with high protein? Is corned hashed beef/spam the only answer?
>>
>>31713784
Spices.
Things like prepackaged mixes and dried peppers.
Seasoning salt, cajun, montreal steak, italian, etc.. are all god sends.
>>
>>31714224
>>31714281
Read through the Ball recipes and see what sounds tasty.

I really like to can boneless chicken thighs (the vac-packed fajita-style, not the frozen ones). I'm paranoid, so I pre-cook (and season) the chicken, put it in Mason jars, fill with the stock and top off with filtered water, run the pressure canner for a little longer than the recipe calls for (remember, only time at full pressure counts), and then, when I open the jar, I boil the contents for at least 10 minutes (preferably longer), just in case something went wrong with the canning process. The end result comes out with the texture of pulled pork, or the chicken in chicken noodle soup (and with the broth, this stuff makes dynamite soup).

Mylar is more for dry (or dried) foods. I don't know about trying to pressure can in a mylar pouch; I'd recommend you research that some more.

Vacuum sealer+freezer can get you through the first few months, and is especially good with things like veggies.

Don't forget purifiers (plural!) for water. There's a big argument over the effectiveness of black Berkeys, but a counter-top filter is very convenient. However, you do want at least one backpack purifier in case you have to bug out. Also have at least one large storage container for water, even if it's just the kind you drop into the bathtub.

For bugging in, you can fill your pantry with cheap canned goods; some, like chili, will probably be edible with at least partial nutritional value for decades. Tomato-based stuff like Boyardee might only last a few years, though. Dry foods like rice and pasta can last for decades, especially if you vacuum-seal them (mylar+O2 absorbers is better, but the cheap plastic rolls will keep these for a decade or two easily).

Finally, have a spare source of heat for cooking. If nothing else, a case of Sterno cans.
>>
>>31714971
>>31714579
>>31714193
>Ball Blue Book of Canning

CAN this be what I think it is?

https://archive.lib.msu.edu/DMC/sliker/msuspcsbs_ball_ballbrosgl10/msuspcsbs_ball_ballbrosgl10.pdf
>>
>>31715426
Bingo. Everything in that book should still be good.
>>
>>31713784
OK OP, pay attention.

Variety is key. If you find yourself with no alternatives but your pantry you are going to want variety.

MRE's ..if purchased fresh and stored perfectly are good for almost a decade. MRE's bought from milsurp stores or at gun shows are best thrown in the trash. If they are exposed to heat for long periods they become toxic to your liver and kidneys. So buy as many cases fresh production as you want and store them in as cool a place as you can find.

Dehydrated foods from Mountain House and Wise are good to go for over 25 years. Buy one small package of every single thing they make and stock the hell up on the ones you like and buy a bunch of the ones you can choke down...again varsity is key.

There are many places making really nice dehydrated foods. Learn which have long shelf lives, buy one of each and stock up on the ones that taste great.

CANNED GOODS.
Modern canning produces cans that are going to be edible for decades. If stored in a cool place they will even taste good after ten years. I just ate a can of peaches the "expired" 4 years ago. The one thing that sucks about canned goods is the very way they are made kills much of the nutritional value of the food. The single best food source is frozen veggies and flash frozen meat.

I have 5 low standing deep freezers powered by solar panels and battery farms that will keep meats and veggies so cold they will be tasty and nutritious 30 years from now. This is the single best way to provide food for yourself long term.

I also do high temp pressure canning . I have ball jars of beef stew that are 18 months old I eat regularly. Very tasty and nutritious.

With a good variety of very long shelf life food my family can eat well for many years while we develop gardening skills and shit. It can be done with a real commitment to the arts. Find some Mormons and let them help you out. They will take some time to let you into their circles but once in you are good to go.
>>
OP, don't forget about water. You will need lots of if.
>>
If this tread is still alive in the morning I will post everything you need to know about filling a pantry for a family on the cheap. I'm talking about nutritious meals that have a very long shelf life. Bump it every couple hours and you will get some excellent info'

Personal to The Deplorable Phil Ossiferz Stone. I'm impressed that you are posting quality info instead of your usual /pol/ level bullshit. Maybe there is hope for you yet.
>>
>>31716752
bumping for this
>>
>>31713784
Get 5 gallon mylar bags, and food grade 5 gallon plastic pails.
Fill them with oatmeal, rice, beans, pasta, and tvp. You now have a long term food storage. Everything you do beyond that increases your quality of life. Things like honey, salt, cinnamon, herbs & spices (Mrs. Dash is awesome with the variety). Get 3 one gallon bottles of vegetable oil, and replace them as you use them. There's 30,000 calories from fat per gallon. Add a tablespoon of oil to each meal to stretch your calories.
Once you do all that, start with containers of dehydrated vegetables and freeze dried meats.
And don't forget your water. You can get stackable bricks for 8 gallons of water. Treat it and put it away. Then buy a dozen sawyer mini filters. They cost 20 dollars,and are good for up to 100,000 gallons.
>>
>>31713833

You are cancer and a abomination.
>>
>>31716752
amp
>>
>>31716171
>I have 5 low standing deep freezers powered by solar panels and battery farms
My man, I've thought about doing exactly that with my chest freezer. My worry is how long do the batteries last? If they only survive 4-5 years like they would in a car then I can see it getting very expensive over time.
>>
File: QE6vTV73vMl2.jpg (356KB, 2047x1285px) Image search: [Google]
QE6vTV73vMl2.jpg
356KB, 2047x1285px
>food

Even better question. Which drugs will you have in your bag when shit hits the fan?

I vote for Afinils since they keep you awake with minimal side effects.
>>
>>31716752
WHERE IS THE INFO I HAVE BEEN BUMPING FOR DAMMIT
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.