[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Mosin Barrel Life

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

File: mosin-survivalthrive.jpg (125KB, 900x400px) Image search: [Google]
mosin-survivalthrive.jpg
125KB, 900x400px
Many of you have Mosins and many of you have had a good long life with them. I have the option of getting some surplus ammo (3 crates of 880) for pretty cheap. I have already put about 2.5 crates downrange in my mosin. How many crates have you /k/ommandos put down range in yours until the barrel was essentially shit? I know that no two mosins are the same and I would say I purchased mine with barrel in "average" surplus condition.
>>
>>31711436
Until you are no longer happy with its accuracy
>>
I guess I should also ask this: How many rounds (approx) have any of you put down range before you started noticing a lot of tumble? Or, felt that it was time to retire the mosin because it was no longer safe to shoot.
>>
Like any gun, if you start with a relatively new barrel, it should theoretically last into the early tens of thousands of rounds before you notice truly substantial accuracy loss, provided you do not abuse it by say, banging up the crown with a steel cleaning rod, or letting it get corroded. "Average surplus barrel" is very unspecific since different people will have different opinions on what that means, but you've already got some mileage.
Even when you shoot it out it will still have some value/use though significantly diminished.
>>
>>31711618
Barring some manufacturing defect, that thing should have been able to shoot several barrels into smooth bores before the action is unsafe. Get some head space gauges if you're paranoid about it.
>>
I'm kind of leaning toward the "fuck it, cheap surplus ammo available, might as well get it" I'll be buying it for about 15 cents a round. Even if I get to smoothbore, I'll get my fun out of the rifle.
>>
>>31711458
This.
You could always just buy another mosin for $200
>>
File: counter bore1.png (324KB, 360x640px) Image search: [Google]
counter bore1.png
324KB, 360x640px
does anyone else have a counterbore that looks like Ivan did it with a rusty screwdriver and a black and decker drill?
PIC related its my 1901 M91 Finn capture
>>
>>31712946
Holy shit! Ivan probably did. Does it still shoot pretty well?
>>
I'm really surprised nobody is chiming in with their own experience. For all the Mosin love there used be on /k/. Are they all sleeping?
>>
>>31713740
You should learn about the laws surrounding firearms first. If you want to buy a gun from out of state it needs to go through a FFL. Please take some time to learn yourself up on this great thing we call the World Wide Web.
>>
>>31713785
I am aware of the laws. Ty for the concern though. Im just looking for a mosin around here.
>>
>>31713825
I have looked up and did the homework just having trouble finding one
>>
>>31713825
Why? You're going to end up $100 more than what it's worth. Ammo is .308 tier and climbing. Just get any other milsurp rifle, hell, you're halfway to a decent SKS, save up for that. Don't keep feeding the greedy fuckers that sell the mosin for that much money.
>>
>>31713843
You can also buy guns on the internet if you'd believe it
>>
>>31713857
Yeah and like the anon above me pointed out there up there in price now and i figured i could try to find a cheap one in a gun shop somwhere. Oh well if this is the reality of mosins now any one else have a recommendation for a cheap milsurp rifle other than a mosin?
>>
>>31713885
There's no such thing as cheap milsurp anymore. The cheaper rifles are expensive to shoot.
>>
>>31713885
Any other milsurp bolt. Lee Enfields are nice, Indian ones come in .308. k98s are always sexy. Springfields, SKS. Save your money and avoid the mosin for something better, you'll thank yourself later.
>>
>>31713910
Rest in piece born too late again i suppose
>>
>>31713785
he can buy a long gun without going through an ffl in another georgia
>>
>>31712156
can i borrow your time machine?
>>
>>31713931
you were born at the right time. its just the import bans. the guns are/were there but they can't make it home to the usa.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.