[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Rust cleaning methods/rifle restoring methods?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: M39.jpg (45KB, 1083x211px) Image search: [Google]
M39.jpg
45KB, 1083x211px
Newfag here. I recently got interested in buying a Finnish mosin variant (M39 or M28/30) and I don't have any knowledge about restoring/cleaning off rust, if I buy one which has rust on it. Do the people of /k/ have any methods/tips&tricks about restoring mosins and is there something I can buy to prevent/remove rust? pic. related, it's a M39.
>>
>>31708831
most people use a weak solution of brake cleaner and chlorine bleach
>>
>>31708861
This, even something like Simple Green will work if you're patient and want to be sure not to damage the finish.
Hell, I've used a raw potato to scrub the rust of of parts before. Seems to work best for things in the white, like bolts and whatnot.
>>
>>31708831
Every rifle ive ever restored:
>complete teardown
>thinner bath to remove cosmo
>scrubascrubascruba
>look for rust
>find rust
>scrubascrubascruba
>scrubascruba
I start with 180 grit sandpaper to remove the worst of it, then move to steel wool for the rest
>find more rust
>scrubascruba
>strip the finish off the stock
>re-blue all the steel
>scrubascruba
>re-blue it all again
>refinish the stock
>reassemble

Done!

Usually while im in there ill do some trigger work too, but dont do that until you're comfortable with it. And i recommend you stay away from power tools.
>>
>>31708831
Drown it in white vinegar, use steel wool or aluminium foil to scrape it off, use a copper toothbrush from any rifle cleaning kit to get in to the nooks and crannies
>>
>>31708831
Bleach works best
>>
File: trolling.jpg (51KB, 300x393px)
trolling.jpg
51KB, 300x393px
>>31708861
We get it, mommy liked your sister better, and daddy wasn't there to teach you How to an hero.
>>
>>31708831
Keep in mind you dont know what's under that rust. Could be a shit load of pitting. Kill the rust dont remove it. CLP or w/e your flavor of protectant
>>
Aluminum foil and water works great for removing rust.
>>
>>31708831
Penetrating oil, tooth brush, and a rag.
>>
Gun oil and steel wool. Very light pressure.

You will be left with a rust free surface that will not be totaly smooth since the rust was oxidizing at uneven rates. You can either file it down or leave it alone, just apply lots of oil, as long as the rust is gone its good, the rough surface just means more surface area for rust to start again in the future.
>>
>>31709093
They liked neither of us. They left me to my grandparents when I was young so they could both work. They would come back at 7-8 at night and take us to have dinner at home. Then theyd drop us off at 9:00 in the morning.

Then my grandparents, essentially the people who acted as my parents, suddenly move and Im stuck with my real parents who I never got along with.

Id come home and hide in my room, using internet as an escape. Hating everyone around me. Attempting to fill the void in my soul with memes and funny jpegs.

Eventually my days are spent browsing or working a shitty bluecollared job, for years. When eventually I excitedly am moving out I get hit by car which leaves me a parapelegic. My GF, the only person in my life and best friend ended up cheating and then left me.

So now here I am alone, with nonfunctional legs and a limp dick. Using 4chan to fill the cavity where life should be.
>>
>>31708831
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-mike-phillips-your-detailing-questions/47607-steel-wool-metal-polishing-when-use-when-not-use.html

I'm so confused right now
>>
>>31711244
Guns are made out of harder metal than the steel wool. A softer metal can not scratch a harder metal unless you are being extremely aggressive
>>
>>31711280
Is bluing harder than steel? Wikipedia says that bluing (Fe3O4) has the same hardness as red rust (Fe2O3).
>>
>>31709649
My father was a relentlessly self-improving boulangerie owner from Belgium with low-grade narcolepsy and a penchant for buggery. My mother was a 15 year old French prostitute named Chloe with webbed feet.

My father would womanize, he would drink, he would make outrageous claims, like he invented the question mark. Sometimes, he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy – the sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament.

My childhood was typical: summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring, we’d make meat helmets. When I was insolent, I was placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds. Pretty standard, really.
>>
>>31708888
forgot to add, after removing cosmo:
>soak in nitric acid to loosen rust
>scrubascrubascruba
>reblue
>>
>>31711779
Bluing essentially is rust that is treated to prevent even more rust. Think of it like callouses.
>>
>>31712164
>Bluing essentially is rust that is treated to prevent even more rust.
>prevent even more rust
Have you ever owned a blued gun in your life?
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.