[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

AR-15 Build

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: AR15-Build.jpg (72KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
AR15-Build.jpg
72KB, 640x480px
So /k/ I dont come here often, but I need some /adv/ice

I want to build an AR-15, but I only shoot shotguns so I really am not sure what to get

I am going to machine an 80%. I heard those are pick-the-color tier where quality isn't really an issue, but maybe I'm wrong

Who makes a decent upper? BCM is expensive but I know you get what you pay for. Is it worth it to get a piston system or not for someone like me?

What kind of sights? Anything special or just Iron? And are Red Dots a meme or are they something worth looking into. I know Holos are great but I'm not dropping $500 on a sight for my first AR

Also my brother wants one, so can I machine him a lower and just say he did it or what? Have him come to the shop and press the button on the CNC?

And what other attachments and upgrades are worth it? I probably will get a flashlight, just in case people who are hard to see try to break in. Also, Quad rail, keymod or what?

Also post pics of yours
>>
>>31654896
>Red dots

Red dots make shooting in close quarters much faster and easier. With the fact the you don't need to properly line up your sights, as you would with irons, having a proper cheek weld or sight alignment is no longer an issue. They are simply more effective.

At range and from a bench, red dots and irons are about tied.

>Flashlight
If you want an HD gun, that's an exceptional idea

>Handguard
I'd steer away from quad rails personally. They aren't terribly comfortable and are built for mass scale military use with lots of attachments.

A Magpul handguard is somewhat generic, but is comfortable and gives you easy attachment options.

A standard plastic M4 type handguard is great in the hands and can be modified for a flashlight mount with a tiny bit of DIY.

A free float tube handguard with attachable rail sections is a little more expensive but comfortable and gives you a lot of attachment options.

After that is get a 2-point adjustable sling.

VFG/AFG/handstop stuff is a lot of personal choice shit and you should hold off getting any of it until you shoot more with your AR.
>>
>>31654983
>Red dots
Any good brand or just go on amazon and get something decent?

>2-point adjustable
No, I'm not going far with one, don't need it

>Quad rails
I just want to easily put on a vfg and attach lights. I don't want to have to do much work

>magpul
Not sure what that is, ill look that up

thanks
>>
File: Picture_0572.jpg (39KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
Picture_0572.jpg
39KB, 600x450px
>>31655083
>Red dots
Bushnell TRS-25, something made by Primary Arms, or something made by Vortex will be your "cheap but ok" tier of red dot. They won't have the durability or battery life of an Aimpoint, but are 1/4 the price.

>Sling
Slings are good for retention and generally nice to have.

>Rails
You can get rails if you want. There are a lot of options though. The Magpul handguards have rail section inserts that are very easy to work with. You can also attach a Magpul VFG directly to their handguard without using a rail.

Again, I'd hold off on the VFG/AFG/ any of that until you shoot with the AR.

For a flashlight situation, you could also just use a plastic handguard, and then get a cheapo barrel clamp and put the light mounted from the barrel. It will look cheap as fuck, but work (pic related, not mine).
>>
>>31655153
Know anything about piston vs DI?
>>
>>31655198
DI is a meme unless you like using a suppressor a lot, or getting something special snowflake so you can shitpost on /k/.

The standard impingment action for ARs is fine.
>>
>>31655215
*Piston is a meme. Jesus, I'm tired.
>>
>>31654896
80% lowers are pointless
You need $200 worth of tools and lowers just to complete one.
Ask me how I know

While a cheap complete lower is $75ish

>But but muh ghost gun
Google tracks all ur online purchases
>>
>>31655354
I already have the tools to do it. Full machine shop at my disposal, literally could finish an 80% in 2 hours. Thinking of getting like 5 as a package deal, maybe building one for me, having my brother make one, and having a few left over in case i want to fuck around with building another
>>
>>31655437
The 80% jig is about $120
So it's not actually cheaper than a complete lower.
A 80% lower is about $55
A complete Anderson's is $75

Even if you make 5, you have just broke even.
>>
>>31654896
Dude, you got too much crap on your AR15
>>
>>31656492
>cheaper
>implying you aren't paying for the value of manufacturing the firearm yourself and not paying transfer fees and going out of your way to get a background check and a little checkmark on your file somewhere
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.