[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

80% lowers

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

Are 80% lowers a decent way to go when building an AR? Why/why not?
>>
>>31647326
I see only a few reasons to build an AR-15 from 80% lower.
>You don't want to have your name in a government list somewhere. (Face it they will know no matter what you try to do)
>You live somewhere that there are no gun stores or the gun stores are run by class A-1 jerks
>You just want to build one from 80% to see if you can
>>
>>31647471
This guy gets it. Did mine to see if I could and it came out fine. Thing is tho do I buy lowers or making lowers now to justify the 200 ish I invested in the jig for all my future builds.
>>
I cannot build my own AR because I'm not 21, and you have to be 21 to purchase a lower. So I may do the 80% method.
>>
File: 20161004_183023-1920x1080.jpg (476KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
20161004_183023-1920x1080.jpg
476KB, 1920x1080px
They are a good way to go if you want an undocumented lower, or just want to do it. Wont save you any money unless you already have a good drill press or mill to do the machining with though.

I did this lower from an 80% and it's a fun project, and I think the lowers look nice with no rollmaks.
>>
>>31647980
What brand lower is it?

Yeah the thing is for the money you can get a higher quality one, pre milled. Unless you want like 10 lowers, then you can probably buy in a bundle and it be cost effective. There's obvious points to having one, and if you want it then go for it. They aren't really that much different in quality when it comes down to it, it's just a hunk of metal, wether you buy one milled or not. Just up to you.
>>
I'm considering doing an 80% for my planned M16A1 build, specifically so I can engrave/stamp it with correct roll marks instead of NoDak Spud or Brownells markings.
Exactly how autistic am I being?
>>
>>31647326
Save your money on the jig and buy a Ghost Gunner 2. Only $250, and it does all the work for you.
>>
>>31648469
$250 for the deposit, I think the machines around $1250 or something like that.

I thought the same thing, I was getting ready to buy one before I found the actual price.
>>
>>31648469
It's a 250 deposit, something over 1k to actually buy if I remember correctly.
>>
>>31648488
>>31648493

Aw damn, I knew the price was too good to be true
>>
>>31648353
pretty bad since you have to start with a nodak spud 80 since they are the only one with correct 80% lowers and they are out of stock
its 20 bucks cheaper than a finished and anodized lower
>>31648469
250s the downpayment to reserve a spot the actual things 1500
>>
>>31648524
>250s the downpayment to reserve a spot the actual things 1500
Which, if you want a decent desktop CNC mill isn't really that bad a deal once you've gotten your 80% done.
>>
>>31648334
Both Tactical Machining and Daytona Tactical sell milspec Cerro Forge (Colt/FN forge code) lowers.
>>
>>31648469
>>31648488
>>31648493
>>31648496
>>31648524

If you're going to spend that kind of money, might as well get a Bridgeport and take a machining class, so you can mill ANYTHING you want in a SHTF situation... Or whatever you want to make, not just fun parts.
>>
" but a good mill costs so much ".....

Check your local craigslist. I got a very nice Bridgeport mill for 1600 bucks.
>>
>>31647471

This right here. I myself want one cause I love projects, it'd be fun to do that.
>>
>>31651907
>Check your local craigslist.
this

you can pick up a functional drill press for under 100 doll hairs, and an xy vice for like 50 bucks.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.