[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Newfag Friendly Boltguns

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: bolt action.jpg (18KB, 480x178px) Image search: [Google]
bolt action.jpg
18KB, 480x178px
Hey /k/, utter newfag to the gun owner thing, but am looking into getting a bolt gun to start. I've shot some small caliber rifles and handguns, and would like something heftier than a .22 but don't really know the best thing to go for. Cheap is ideal, as more than anything I'd just like to own something to get used to regular cleaning/maintenance and firing on. Help a newfag out? Are Mosins a total meme, or worth looking into?
>>
>>31642999
Stevens 200.
>>
>>31642999
>>31643014
To add, don't buy milsurp if you aren't a collector. You won't get what you want out of it.
>>
mosin prices have risen a lot over the last year. coupled with the increase in surplus 54r, its not something i'd recommend.
for a generic bolt gun, id get something like a savage or ruger american. roughly $300 and available in a lot of calibers.
if you absolutely have to have something with milsurp flavor, a yugo mauser is a good buy. but 8mm isnt cheap (but not expensive either, i guess)
>>
MOSIN NAGANT =7.62x54 or basically .308 bolt gun dirt cheap
>>
>>31643031
Gotcha. I don't care too much about milsurp, but I do like wood furniture if possible. What's an ideal caliber to look for, given cost and relative availability?
>>
>>31642999
Shop around for calibers and ammo. Intermediate calibers like 5.56/.223 will be fairly cheap but fire smaller bullets than 30 caliber cartridges

Mosins are not as cheap as they once were and the surplus ammo is going up in price. Commercial ammo is priced near .308, but may not be locally available if that matters to you.

New manufacture economic models from savage, ruger, mossberg, etc. are alright, not amazing but economical. Shop around and pick a caliber you are willing to pay to feed.
>>
>>31642999
No mosin. Get a modern Ruger for like $300
>>
>>31642999
Get a pad of paper and pen, then Do this once:
-pick out some common rifle calibers. (5.56/.223, .308/7.62x51, 7.62x54r, 7.62x39, etc.)
-Look up prices for these ammos online and see what cost of buying 500-1000 rounds for the thing will be
-After looking it up online, go to your friendly neighborhood gun stores and outdoors shops. Find which of these ammos are available and what it would cost you.
-Pick out what caliber(s) are tolerable for you to pay for and have acceptable availability for you.
-Pick a new manufacture rifle in your budget from a reputable brand
>>
>>31642999
It'd be worth it just to buy a Tikka T3, if you really don't want to spend the cash, get a Savage Axis
>>
>>31643104
223- tons of ammo choices out there with a wide range of price (starting at low to mid 20 cpr for generic bulk).
but if thats not "enough" bullet for you, probably 308. lots of bullet options also but the price range per round is higher (starting at roughly 50cpr for generic bulk).
>>
>>31642999
that poor demil :(
>>
>>31644356
Just a random pic I grabbed to start the thread.
>>
>>31643067
Hell no, last time I went to the local gun store they were going for $350.
>>
>>31644464
Why the recent jump in price?
>>
>>31644665
The sources are drying up, same with the ammo. Mausers are just as good of a deal now. I'm even trying to sell my M39 because ammo is going up in price. I think I'm gonna get a Tikka in 6.5 creedmore.
>>
>>31644665
They were already clawing at $150 around 2013, now the average is about $250 or so since it seems like the imports aren't coming back. 54r is going through the same thing, if you find a can it'll be much more than what they used to cost even though in general each round isn't too much costwise. Adding onto what >>31645543 said, Mausers are the without a doubt superior rifle now that you can find variants of both for a similar price
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.