[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Precision Rifle General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 9

File: Rem700 SPS Stainless.jpg (524KB, 2078x1169px) Image search: [Google]
Rem700 SPS Stainless.jpg
524KB, 2078x1169px
Hey /k/,

New to precision shooting here, and I need some help here before I throw my rifle in a lake.

I got my first scoped rifle, a used Remington 700 SPS Stainless a couple weeks ago, and after some TLC including changing the set of scope rings, I'm currently trying to zero the rifle.

The rifle is chambered in 7mm Rem Mag, so I'm zeroing at 60 yards because between 60 and 100 yards, point of impact only changes about .2 inches, and only changes 2.4 inches at 200 yards.

Anyway, I've never zeroed a scope before, so really I'm not very sure what I'm doing, so I'm going to cut to the chase and give a tl;dr.

Rem 700, 7mm Rem Mag, 1/4 inch scope clicks, shooting about five inches low and three inches left at 60 yards, and I'm really not sure which way to click my turrets.
I've calculated out that 1 MOA at 60 yards is roughly 1/2 inch, and using an MOA change formula, it seems like I need to apply 26 clicks of elevation and 20 clicks of windage.

The thing is, which direction do I turn my turrets to adjust my reticle to be on target?

Pic related, but not my rifles.
>>
>>31641350
Also I should add, the scope is a Bushnell Banner 4-16x, and I'm using 150 grain Remington Core Lokt bullets.
>>
>>31641350
If you're that far out before zeroing I would check to make sure the scope and rings are lined up properly first.
Your scope should also have the direction marked on the turret.
>>
>>31641350

Sight it in at 100yd so you don't have to think so much about MOA adjustments.

When the turret has a "R" with and arrow, you turn it in the direction of the arrow to move bullet impact to the right.

also, do yourself a solid and spend some money on a decent scope.
>>
>>31641425
>>31641447
So my elevation turret has a direction marked "up" with an arrow, so I need to click it in that direction about 24 clicks to get my elevation correct?

And my windage turret is marked "R" with an arrow, so I need to turn it that direction also about 24 clicks to get my windage close?

I'm sorry that this is such a stupid question, but I honestly don't know and don't have anybody to teach my except the internet.
>>
>>31641447
Also, like I said, I can only sight in at 60 yards, because that's the longest range I have access to right now, and there's only 1/5" difference between a 60yd zero and 100yd zero with 7mm Rem Mag.

Plus I have a great ballistic calculator app on my phone that will give my windage and range corrections, so I don't have to worry about calculating them myself
>>
File: CzUkTdo.jpg (67KB, 550x749px) Image search: [Google]
CzUkTdo.jpg
67KB, 550x749px
>>31641504

> five inches low and three inches left at 60 yards,

Turn the top turret in the "up" direction.
Turn the side turret in the "R" direction.

I'm not going to do the math for you.

You can also boresight it to double check if you're worried about burning ammo.
>>
1) make sure scope rings and base are tight
2) put rifle on bags and aim at something ~20' away
3) pull out bolt
4) look through the action & barrel at a point
5) adjust scope to be aimed there also
6) go to a range and shoot at something ~20' away (your bullets should hit ~1-2" low)

This is boresighting and getting on paper. Don't be ashamed of shooting so close but you don't need to use much ammo at all for this.

7) extend this range to 100 yard zero incrementally as you can comfortably.
>>
>>31641671

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0uXSQLJ-mA
>>
>>31641350
i'll sometimes start out at 25' and make pretty bold corrections just to get rounds roughly near center on paper. usually only take 4 or 5 rounds, often 2 or 3 does the trick. just remember, adjustments require 4 times the input than at 100'.

also, i hope you are shooting off bags, makes life so much more enjoyable than zeroing unsupported or off of a bipod. if you dont have shooting bags, improvise. a big bag of dog food or grass seed and a sock filled with gravel works just as good as real bags. even a rolled up puss-pad or ruck works in a pinch its worth the effort.
>>
File: cm2 15 yards part 1.png (1MB, 1498x691px) Image search: [Google]
cm2 15 yards part 1.png
1MB, 1498x691px
Op you need socks and beans.

Dried beans ~ 1 lb put into an old sock, tie off end, repeat until you have enough support to hold your rifle steady with no muscle movement.

remove bolt
aim at target 21 ft away by looking through the rear of the rifle , through the bore.
Put center, move head up to see scope
move turrets until your cross hairs are roughly 1" above the center of your bore's target.

Congrats you are now on paper.

also, start learning Push and pull methods for your turrets. if i want to "pull" my bullet down, I move it clock wise, if I want to "push" my bullet up higher I turn it counter clock wise.

Same thing with windage, Every scope is different so learn it. .

> posting old groups because I have not taken new photos of groups yet.
>>
File: testtarget.png (24KB, 612x792px) Image search: [Google]
testtarget.png
24KB, 612x792px
Links for /PRG/
Group calc program
http://www.ontargetshooting.com/
Ballistic calc and chart
http://www.jbmballistics.com/cgi-bin/jbmtraj-5.1.cgi
Turret/ milling/ basic windage/ basic drop/ Practice
http://www.shooterready.com/lrsdemo.html
Data books
http://www.scout.com/military/snipers-hide/forums/5539-diy/13433967-d-i-y-data-books

Basic forum work
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rLfYLM48Ms

glass basics
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVF2pdHbX1M

Sniper 101 link for the lazy crowd.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwG-D0HjCBQ
>>
>>31642840
OP here, thanks senpai, looks like exactly what I'm looking for.

I'll be going through all of this in the next couple days between work and anything else that comes up.
>>
File: 1432778868129.jpg (118KB, 506x608px) Image search: [Google]
1432778868129.jpg
118KB, 506x608px
>>31642926
>>
File: sniperschool_13_0.jpg (38KB, 367x600px) Image search: [Google]
sniperschool_13_0.jpg
38KB, 367x600px
Conversion starters

> what do you need the most work on as a shooter?

> Intresting diy projects to help your /prg/ life style

> Semi auto's used as percision guns. why or why not?

> .22 Lr trainers, optics, and ammo.

> .308, how far is too far? and how do we determine this?

>Reloading tips , tricks and advice.
>>
1/?
>>
>31643105

> what do you need the most work on as a shooter?
Wind and range estimation :(
> Intresting diy projects to help your /prg/ life style
I dicked around with making a vertical grip modifier for a regular hunting style rifle, realized I was retarded, and bought a mdt chassis for my tikka
> Semi auto's used as percision guns. why or why not?
No, but mostly just because they typically show signs of over pressure before bolt guns do, require mag length COAL, and don't use the better BC bullets.
> .22 Lr trainers, optics, and ammo.
Perhaps, but $ may be better put towards feeding your regular PR
> .308, how far is too far? and how do we determine this?
175SMK/TMKs can cross the transonic barrier without destabilizing, so pretty goddamn far. I've done 1,000yds with 308. I suck, but I've done it with a fellow /k/ buddy.
>Reloading tips , tricks and advice.
Organize your brass and just keep the ones worth keeping. Get a good powder thrower; it's the one thing that determines your vertical spread the most. Seating in relation to the lands of the rifling apparently is stupid so long as you're within reason.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.