[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

General Australian gun thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3

I want to buy a revolver, but obviously I need a Class H License. I live in WA and they say that "a person does not have a genuine need to acquire or possess a firearm of category H because it is required for:
> hunting,
> recreational shooting; or
> destroying stock or vermin
What other reason is there that I could provide?
Also general aus gun thread
>>
none.

>get over it
>buy a rifle or stay a no funs for ever

you will never even be allowed to apply for cat H until after you have had A or B for several incident free years first.
>>
Get a cat A&B first

the only reason you can get is recreational or hunting. Hunting u need signed permission from someone who has land big enough saying that you can hunt there. (But u live in WA probably not hard to find)

For recreational shooting you need i think 3-4 annual shoots? (in QLD at least not sure about WA)
>>
>>31632667
You can get a Cat H easy enough. join a pistol club. Reminder that W.A also allows Cat C Shotguns for sports shooting.
>>
Still waiting on a tester chassis from Aus Tec Arms. Handled the prototype at Syd Shot Expo, was lovely.
>>
File: 1464556385498.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
1464556385498.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
If you are in Victoria and join a collectors club, you can get Cat C's on your collectors license. Must be rendered temporary inoperable when stored. A trigger lock will suffice. There are a few clubs that hold Collector firearm range days, these are the only times you can legally shoot them.
>>
>>31634570
Need to check what the punishment is for using a firearm outside the POU you have on your licence. If I lived in Victoria and it was just a fine I'd do it.
>>
>start a pest control company
>hire any shooter as an operative
>tell them they need to apply for a cat D and supply own firearm

would it work?
Some states have removed the 'majorty of income' statement from a cat D application eg. NSW
>>
>>31635019
Looking it up, using a firearm outside of its POU is a $2500 fine here in SA.
>>
>>31635044
No, you need to be signed on individually as a professional shooter before getting your Cat D.
There's a reason why there's no large companies I'm the business.
>>
>>31635044
You need to complete a vertebrate control course, do a separate licence course, get the company registered, insurance, complete a small mountain of paperwork, plus have a list of your current customers.
>Hired you as an employee-
You'd need to do the control course, weapons licensing, be included into the business insurance, I'd have to issue you pay slips-proof of employment and the rest: At that point you'd qualify for Cat D at least in NSW under current legislation.
It does vary widely by state to state as well, check the reqs there.

Most of the A-B-C licences are also generally where most people who start out as professional shooters begin, then once you look to make the leap to paid employment you'll also need to adjust your licence accordingly- it starts out small, its not really something which really has a huge market: despite the 'actual' demand for culling. You really do need to approach this as a business and not a 'gun enthusiast', because that's exactly what it is and you will be scrutinised well beyond that of most professionals and held to extreme levels of safety. Which is why there are so few Cat-D licence holders, you can't afford to slip up even once, the work has to be done, the paperwork, courses, insurance and sheer cost keeps most people away. Heck, we've got over 10k in just two guns + their optics, not including the cost of ammunition, fuel, travel, accommodation etc

The other thing to consider- because it matters is that you need to produce results for your employer
That may mean you have to to shoot ### of animals in a certain time frame, you're going to be killing damn near every cute cuddly feral animal out there and if its something like a roo cull, then there's marksmanship standards in addition to calibre/projectile weight.
>This is NOT recreational shooting!
>You don't go to the range with an M4
>Show it off at a club
>Security for storage is very heavy- it will be checked

Hope that helps
>>
>>31634570
Holy shit, did not know this.

@fouguy - you said the PR22 was going to come with 15rd mags; will these be ruger BX15s? Are they in country already?
>>
>>31635310
That's ridiculous. And I now there'd always be an uncomfortable overbearing bureaucratic thumb in your ass that would take away a lot of the enjoyment of ownership... it's a bit like that with cat H, like these pistols are on fucking loan with extortionate ongoing lifetime costs and gov/police interference. Such bullshit. Sounds way worse for the cat D - but bro, at least you have an M4 hahaha
>>
>>31635520
Try Cat R - IIRC only a few museums in the country have one.
>>
>>31632667
As a non commonwealth anon. I really think you guys should at least own an Enfield.
>>
>>31635556
Checked

I own three - Australian (lithgow) no. 1 mkIII*, American (Savage) no. 4 mkII, and British no. 5 - can't remember what it is, it's dad's (but bequeathed). Matching slings and bayos for all (the Wilkinson no. 5 was the most expensive ).

It's unaustralian not to.
>>
>>31635556
Everyone owns at least one.

It's like our AR-15.
>>
>>31635583
hows your clip stash?

Do you mainly reload or get ppu?
>>
>>31635552
Yeah... would sooner go for class 1 dealer. Brought a grenade launcher in on private museum through customs (GLs are "warfare articles", not firearms) but doubt I cbf doing it from cat r. Also not interested in deactivated
>>
>>31635552
Armourers, dealers and theatrical companies can all get Cat Rs.
>>
>>31635586
got any jungle carbines? The ones over here have barrel issues i believe?
the mk5s
>>
>>31635556
My first centerfire rifle was a No1Mk3 Lithgow from 1942.
>>
>>31632667
Can't you just join a pistol club? The required number of shoots to attend annually in NT is only 12, hardly strenuous.
>>
>>31635592
Not yet, but I've been meaning to buy one
>>
>>31635587
I have shit loads of clips. I don't shoot them often to be honest, but have some rounds stashed - some surplus (corrosive) in bandoliers and clips, some ppu. Haven't audited that ammo situation lately, and haven't even headspaced/fired the savage yet (it's ex NZ arsenal, looks unfired).

Do you need clips? I would give you some. Where in aus are you?
>>
>>31635592
We never made them here; de rigeur is a lithgow smle no. 1 mkIII. We knocked them out for over 50 years. If you don't have one in Australia you're doing guns wrong. Doesn't even have to be full wood, you can take sambar with a sporter (but don't butcher a good fullwood). Mixed feels on 303-25; kinda think that's an abomination regardless of ballistics
>>
>>31635520
Yeah, once you broach through all the bureaucracy and throw exorbitant amounts of cash around- it does get better and becomes sort of a dull monotony of 'just work'.
Basically, I have a small business doing engineering work and rolled it into that as well along with my brother in law to help out, so that means about 2-3 jobs a month we can look after. With the local country coppers we get along with pretty well, just store the guns there at the station (sans bolt carriers- we keep at home) and while we do have storage at the farm for everything else, it does mean they don't have to come out and 'randomly check' all the time (and they would otherwise) to make sure I haven't snuck an M60 or ZPU-23 in there ;)

Its kind of hard to keep doing it though at the moment as my first kid is on the way down, kind of needed around the house to help wife out- so I'm slinging it mostly onto my brother in law/business partner to deal with at the moment. Just one of those things it would also be very hard to do if you've got a full time job as well working for someone else unless they where incredibly understanding and the work itself isn't huge money or anything by itself. Mostly I do it because I'm fairly passionate about helping out the environment and fellow farmers- lets face it, barely anyone else gives a shit enough to get their hands dirty.

Cat-H isn't too bad if you've got a good club, get to meet some cool people, sometimes you get guns for cheap at mates rates and I always liked helping teach people to shoot pistols.
>>
>>31635699
I'm in a good club, pretty relaxed (down on the IPSC range) - but it's just that sense of temporary that gets me. Miss those shoots and there goes the license. ..
>>
>>31635590
Restricted Cat Rs, items must be deactivated.
Museums are the only Cat R holders who can have unmolested Cat R firearms.
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.