[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Metal Shavings?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: walther_pps2-373x280.jpg (80KB, 373x280px) Image search: [Google]
walther_pps2-373x280.jpg
80KB, 373x280px
I recently bought a brand new Walther PPS M2 (9mm), and after firing the first 100 rounds through, it worked like I expected it to. Solid, good shooter.

But upon tearing it down for it's first cleaning, I noticed quite a few brass shavings all in the slide. Very small, and didn't impede the operation of the gun, but still, it has me a bit concerned.

I've never experienced this with my M&P 9C, USP, or the Walther PK380. Is this normal during a "break in" period, or should I have it looked at?
>>
Clean it and move on. If it keeps happening after 500 rounds call walther
>>
>>31630950
Fire 200 more rounds through it. Weird that they're brass shavings, like from the cases?

IDK, the gun isn't broke in yet though so >>31631031
I'd put it at 300 rounds for a normal break in though.
>>
>>31631058
Yeah, from the casings. I'm almost wondering if it's the ammo that might have been made with less than quality brass? It was Magtech 115 FMJ. Cheap stuff.
>>
>>31630950
I wouldn't worry about it just yet as others have said, but the most likely culprit is the feed ramp, Do you see any type of burrs or anything there? Any brass discoloration that can point to a source?
>>
>>31631097
I don't see any. But the brass shavings were everywhere. All along the slide, the extractor, etc. As I said, it didn't affect the performance of the gun. I got a brand new M&P 9C 2 weeks ago and have put 400 rounds through, and didn't see this with it, so I got a little nervous when I saw it in the Walther.

It does seem to do it if I just cycle the slide with a full mag too.
>>
>>31631148

I'd switch ammo and try again before worrying. Shoot 100 rounds of one brand, inspect, then another 100 rounds of a different brand. Go for common, well reputed stuff (Federal, Remington, Speer, Hornday, etc) If it stops, either it was the ammo, or some weird break-in I've never heard of. Either way, if it stops, I'd stop worrying.
>>
Mine does the same with shitty Remington UMC. I did not see it happen with the Winchester JHP I've run through it.
>>
The pps m1 was known to had a sharp feed ramp that really benefitted from some light polishing.

I used a little fitz or some jewlers rouge
>>
File: 767608.jpg (167KB, 880x660px) Image search: [Google]
767608.jpg
167KB, 880x660px
>>31630950
I can tell you mine shoots the cheap remington ammo high. Pic related is about an inch or 2 high at 30'.

It shoots defensive load 124gr and up dead center on target, hornady in particular.

However, the Hornady critical defense has had 1 failure to feed because it nosed into the ramp. It only happened once and I'm pretty sure it was because it was 147gr which is considerably longer than any of the other 9mm ammo I've shot. I can't even remember for sure if that was in the Walther or a different gun though.

Stick with hot 124 grain IMO for that gun and it shoots Hornady critical defense just fine. I'm alos a huge fan of the sig ammo.

Sig ammo is loaded fairly hot. If I remember corretly
Hornady loads their 180gr 10mm to around 550ft/lbs
Sig loads their 180gr 10mm to around 650ft/lbs

They also don't back off on the powder loads for their fmj stuff either.
>>
OP here. I just cycled a a whole mag through it, and noticed 2 long lines on the brass as if it was dragging against something, but cant tell what.

Also, I did this all 3 magazines. Each time, with every round in every mag, when I would eject the mag, and the round at the top was pushed forward about halfway out of the mag, almost as if it was trying to double feed.

I'm thinking the round underneath the one in the chamber is dragging against something, causing it to be pushed forward, thus creating them brass shavings.
>>
>>31631433
My money is that's it's just pressing on the feedramp when it's loaded.
You said it functioned flawlessly, I really wouldn't worry about it until it's broken in.
>>
>>31631657
I'm thinking the same.

I'm going to take it out again this weekend and drop about 300 rounds through it to see it stops. I won't get worried about it unless it's still doing it at the 1000 round count.
>>
>>31631999
Even then. Walther service is great.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.