[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What should I wear in ISISland?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 12

Hello boys,

I might be heading to Iraq and Syria for business purposes pretty soon, and while I'm not really afraid of dying, I'd rather die later than sooner.

So!

Since the internet is full of conflicting information, I was wondering if y'all would be so kind as to fill me in as to what kind of concealable body armor a person should wear and what kind of helmet a body should lug around were they expecting the potentiality of some asshole taking pot shots at them with their soviet AK or american M4 / M16.

Now note that I'm not actively seeking danger or going into the really hot territorries, but I will go to more rural areas and I obviously can't completely eliminate the possibility of danger coming to me.

Problem is, we're a tiny ass startup and I'm gonna take this expeditionary trip to collect data so we can find investors, so we don't have a whole lot of money.

Thus I'm here for your expertise. What should I wear in ISISland without completely breaking the bank?
>>
>>31629349
I don't know what country you're from but U.S. law states that any body armor or night vision you leave the country with must return with you, otherwise you'll be jailed upon return.
>>
>>31629349
I'd go with the kind of gear that the press uses in war zones (PASGT type helmet with a full protection IIIa vest) if the situation is the kind where you'll be going to a dangerous area for a relatively short time then go back to safety. If it's something you'll be wearing more or less constantly, considering the temperatures and the comfort factor, a level IIa, like american cops use, would probably be your best bet. It won't protect you from AK fire, but it should stop most handgun bullets as well as fragmentation and it's made to be worn all day. If you want to look cool while doing it, get a plate carrier with solid ceramic plates for that sweet PMC look. This is just a general idea, but do your own research before buying since i'm no expert.
>>
>>31629431
THAT KEVLAR WASNT YOURS TO LOSE
>>
>>31629349
Lot of factors, what do you have in terms of a fixer and can you see if they can get something on their end? Buying local may beat dealing with ITAR.

Depending on where\ how you're travelling you really don't want to stand out and if you're getting shot at you're probably pretty fucked. So I wouldn't bother if your local contact can't get something, just have a good idea of where you are and reliable transportation.
>>
>>31629619
This except get one that can carry SAPI plates.

t. Someone who has 2 Iraq deployments
>>
>>31629657
But, we held a funeral for it.
>>
>>31629349
What do you sell
>>
>>31629943
Death
>>
>>31629949
So blankets laced with small pox?
>>
File: IIIa+ & stab protection.jpg (154KB, 620x673px) Image search: [Google]
IIIa+ & stab protection.jpg
154KB, 620x673px
>>31629349
Used Interceptor vest: 100 bucks.
Pair of surplus German lv4 plates: another 100 bucks.

Used PASGT helmet: 50 bucks
OR used British MK6 helmet: 30-40 bucks.

Would also recommend ballistic goggles / glasses. They even make sunglass-type ones.

Alternatively, something like this for good enuff minimum protection against frag and handguns.

>>31629619
pretty outdated info there, bruh.
Even war journalists wear plates in their vests nowadays, because lead poisoning is srs business, and some fucks just may want to pop you down to loot your cool vest and supplies.

Modern IIIA materials rival the IIa vests of last decade, and level II dyneema is literally paper thin and feather light stuff. You can also get level "III+" rifle plates, that weight less than 1.5kg each nowadays, or those fancy sub-1kg lv-III plates that also float on water. Both options are good enough for 7.62x39, 5.56NATO, and even .308 ball ammo.
>>
File: super slim PC.jpg (409KB, 900x708px) Image search: [Google]
super slim PC.jpg
409KB, 900x708px
>>31629349
AR500 plates and a cheap plate carrier might be your best bet. Any kevlar pot made in past 25 years would do just fine, and be best you'd get anyway.

this is the slimmest PC I've seen.
>>
>>31629349
Grab a decent chest rig with some plates. Get some bullshit cheap helmet, no helmet will stop a rifle round anyway. Pro tip: don't wear a seat belt in country. It identifies you as a foreigner.
>>
File: helmet stopped 7,62x39.jpg (257KB, 800x533px) Image search: [Google]
helmet stopped 7,62x39.jpg
257KB, 800x533px
>>31630071
>no helmet will stop a rifle round anyway.
Not all of them are DESIGNED to stop rifle shots, but every now and then some helmets perform way over their protection ratings.

A shitty steelpot's not gonna provide you just about any protection, and they're clunky to wear too.
>>
>>31629349
Depending on what type of company you work for it is best to not look like a combatant.

If you are a white guy you are already at an increased risk for kidnapping/det cord wrapped around your neck on the internet so avoid any press/red cross style vests.

An interceptor will paint a target on your back from a distance.

Therefore some 3+/SRT plates in a low-pro carrier under your clothes would probably be your best bet. If you can get IIIa panels with a concealable carrier that holds plates thats another option.
>>
>>31629349
Literally nothing. Who's going to shoot a buck naked man aside from /k/?
>>
>>31630558
terrorists.
>>
>>31629349
Since you actually have not given a budget, or really any details of where you are going (if you are sticking around Erbil or Dohuk, I'd wouldn't worry much).

Surplus Military shit is easy to get these days. The soft armor, and SAPIs is another deal I don't know about. You can find a surplus ACH for around $200 online.

Honestly if you are not near any battlefront, forget the kit. A low-profile PC wouldn't hurt.

You guys should get a non-local PSD, and listen to what they say.
>>
>>31629349

Not from the US, but definitely interesting.

>>31629730
>>31630734

I have a sherpa for the whole tour. He says it's unlikely that anything will happen but concedes that some areas are less stable than others.

I'll get detailed security reports on wednesday, for now I'm just googling around.

>>31629943

your mum, she'll fetch 3 goats :^)
for reals, I can't tell you.

>>31629619
>>31630023

now note that I'm not actively running towards danger.

I only need something to give me an edge while I GTFO

>>31630308
>>31630734
I don't plan to wear anything overtly. I'd consider having a helmet in the trunk "in case of"

>>31630044
ar500 seems suspiciously cheap. does it hold up?
>>
>>31629619
>>31629730
>>31629750
>>31630023
>>31630044
>>31630071
>>31630129
>>31630308
>>31630734

And, by the way, thank you all for your input so far!

>>31630734

apropos budget. 1k soft upper limit, but I'd prefer to spend less than more.
>>
File: 1362818126149.jpg (18KB, 385x368px) Image search: [Google]
1362818126149.jpg
18KB, 385x368px
>>31630895
>ar500 seems suspiciously cheap
that's their big appeal.
They are "mere" steel, so they weight quite a bit more than modern ceramics.

But yes, they are NIJ rated, and hold up the stated protection levels. There's tons of torture test videos on YT of them, in case you've somehow managed to miss these meme-tier poorfag's choice of protection.

That being said, you can get good, multi-hit rated lv III or III+ ceramic plates for less than 400 bucks nowadays. Even for less than 300 at best. Some barebones carrier + a modern kevlar helmet would run you another 200-300 (brand new), and finalize your gear. Used yet still in good, usable condition armor items can be found from Ebay and such for notably cheaper if you get lucky.

Another option could be these bulletproof clothing pieces, that are made to look like regular jackets or vests, yet provide a full level II to III-A protection (=good agains fragments, 9mm and 12ga buckshot). They definitely ain't cheap though, yet should not attract attention. If you'd find one that suits your needs and tastes for a decent price, you could also try to grab a cheap plate-carrier + AR500s or such (+a cheap surplus helmet) to keep in a trunk, and pull them over in case SHTF.
...that is, assuming you got time to do any of that jazz.
>>
>>31629349
Slick carrier with IV ceramic plates, will cost a little under $400.
Easily worn under clothing and will protect you from everything that isn't machinegun fire or a sniper taking pot shots.
>>
-concealable soft vest for daily wear.
-basic plate carrier and kevlar helmet for habbening.
-ballistic eye wear so you can avoid going blind if a bomb goes off in front of you yet somehow doesn't rip your head off.

You can mix and match the pieces as you see fit, like this guy.

>>31631287
>Slick carrier with IV ceramic plates
IV plates are still quite heavy and fat.
Those "III+" plates may be bit of a meme, but provide adequate protection against AKs and even "sniper rifle" shots, all while weighting half of the IV rated plates.
>>
>>31629657
POLEEEEEEEEEEECE THAT MOOOSTACHE!

Where are all of the pre-pubescent girls at?
>>
File: A FUCKING LEAF.jpg (98KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
A FUCKING LEAF.jpg
98KB, 400x400px
>>31630895
You sound sucpicious if you can't tell us anything about your business without good reason. It's fucking /k/. Unless you have a huge bombshell or your boss also posts on /k/ you won't give yourself away unless you get super specific.

My take: you're either a LARPer or you're Daesh.
Prove me otherwise or sage.
>>
File: wright1.jpg (72KB, 350x250px) Image search: [Google]
wright1.jpg
72KB, 350x250px
>>31629349
Just buy it off Ebay.

Any kind of ballistic glasses is kinda pointless, troops only wear them for when shooting rockets and driving in the turrets of vehicles, plus POGs.
>>
>>31631540
Edit: Remember serpentine, always run in a serpentine.
>>
>>31629349
If you want to live wear sand nigger garb.

If you want to die, wear armour.
>>
>>31631584
This could get you killed.
If you are a white guy that doesnt speak at least somewhat fluent arabic dressed up in dune coon attire you are fucked the moment they roll up on you thinking you might be a local.

Best bet is dressed like an experienced x pat or not go full camel jockey
>>
>>31631316

>risk having a fudd caliber go through your 3a plate and stop half way in your guts

>getting a lvl 4 plate so you only have to worry about magnum snipers and safari calibers

For me the choice is clear.
>>
>>31631241
>>31631540

>usable condition armor items can be found from Ebay

I don't think buying from ebay is a good idea if you need vital or critical equipment.

my take is that you shouldn't entrust your life in something that you can't sue into oblivion.

>>31631316

I think I might go for a slim 2 plate getup. Sounds the most attractive.
>>
File: 1438274244722.jpg (467KB, 1368x1500px) Image search: [Google]
1438274244722.jpg
467KB, 1368x1500px
>>31632222
Witnessed
>>
>>31632104
>having a bullet penetrate more of you is preferable to having a bullet penetrate less of you
lolwut
>>
File: pike.jpg (76KB, 564x786px) Image search: [Google]
pike.jpg
76KB, 564x786px
>>
File: raw.gif (2MB, 498x373px) Image search: [Google]
raw.gif
2MB, 498x373px
>>31632222
noice
>>
Assuming you could find someone to make it into SAPI plates for you, how good would chobham armor or DU plates be for personal protection?

Is it even safe to be wear DU for extended periods of time?
>>
>>31634184
I wouldn't use such shit for too long.
The weight alone is pretty damn bad.
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.