[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is /k/'s opinion on the Finnish M39 rifle?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 5

File: M39.jpg (45KB, 1083x211px) Image search: [Google]
M39.jpg
45KB, 1083x211px
I've read that the M39 is basically an improved Mosin Nagant rifle (better barrel, stock sights and something else too) and I thought that this would be a good "SHTF" situation rifle. Why I thought of that because the rifle itself is precise, reliable, and maintenance is basically the same as cleaning and disassembling a Russian made Mosin rifle.
>>
its still a mosin. which means the steel barrel will rust after you shoot it. the m39 stocks are fragile. its common to see splits at the wrist and cracks in the top handguard. buying an unfucked replacement stock is an expensive venture. if its what you got you use it but as a shtf rifle when you have choices why?
>>
>>31625664
why would your SHTF fantasy playtoy be a 12 pound 45 inch bolt-action that shoots a round that was outdated in the 19th century

I have one. It's a great shooter, it has a beautiful tigerstriped stock and a mirror bore. It's reliable, accurate, and nice to look out. But its not practical for that kind of fantasy scenario
>>
File: 1399974742396.gif (2MB, 500x282px) Image search: [Google]
1399974742396.gif
2MB, 500x282px
>>31625664
If you can, get an AR-15 or AK, depending on where you live. AR in the states, AK will probably be cheaper in Eastern Europe, maybe Western as well.
While the rifle itself is good, it being a bolt-action rifle means your individual firepower will be greatly lowered in combat, unless you use it as a marksman weapon, firing from a distance and breaking off as soon as possible. It will not serve you well in close quarters, firefights or in chaotic situations.
It's certainly better than nothing though, so if you can't get anything else, get a Mosin.
>>
>>31625664
It'll embarrass a rifle worth several times as much at a high-power match, and among milsurps 7.62x54r is still pretty cheap to shoot. However, I wouldn't think of it as a primary SHTF rifle. Maybe a good hunting rifle if you've got room enough for two, but in any sort of combat, a Mosin, even the best of Mosins, is not ideal.
>>
File: 1474979488173.jpg (19KB, 500x330px) Image search: [Google]
1474979488173.jpg
19KB, 500x330px
I just bought one as my first rifle. It's nice enough. haven't shot it yet but imagine just about any durr huntan rifle would work better with a cheaper or more prolific caliber. definitely heavy and prone to rust off you don't get oil on it right away. my barrel isn't floated so I may try to diy if I can bit fud it up.
>>
>>31625851
what rifle is that?
>>
rusty old toy dont be a brony and get a real gun such as the ar-15 weapons platform
>>
>>31625953

Think it's a commission 1888 rifle though the animation is using spitzer ammunition instead of the ball ammunition.
>>
>>31625953

I think it's a Carcano.
>>
http://www.gunbroker.com/item/590455840

Any chance all that extra stuff is authentic? Scope looks russian enough to me and from what i know a lot of vintage "snipers" had cheeckrisers
>>
>>31625709
Steel rusts if you're a nigger and fire corrosive through it and then don't clean it. That happens to any firearm. M39 stocks are literally beefed up versions of m91/30 stocks which nobody complains about unless they somehow managed to run their gun over on fucking pavement.
>tl:dr-you're a fucking faggot
>>
>ITT: Fantasizing manchildren telling someone why their rifle would be bad for something that'll never happen

sexy rifle, get it
>>
>>31625953
German Gewehr 1888.

>>31625962
Carcano cocking piece is different, and their magazine holds 6 rounds.
>>
>>31626319
>Any chance all that extra stuff is authentic?
None at all.
>>
>>31626445
Figured as much.
Theres a couple of decent looking finns on gunbroker. Might as well try to snag one.

Whats the non surplus market for 54R look like?
>>
>>31625664
M39s are THE cadillac versions of Mosins.
>>
I want a Finn m39, but I already have a polish m44 and don't have a good reason to get another mosin besides it being Finnish and I am half Finnish.
>>
File: FB_IMG_1475813625395.jpg (22KB, 942x960px) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1475813625395.jpg
22KB, 942x960px
>>31625755
>One of the first smokeless powder rounds ever
>Outdated in the 19th Century
>>
>>31628743
I have a Polish M44 and I love it. I'll eventually get a Finn but it's hard to beat a Polish M44.
>>
I've been noticing some rust forming on the barrel bands, how do I prevent this?
>>
>>31629151
Cum on it.
>>
>>31629159
Tried that already, think it made it worst :(
>>
>>31629151
Get some Ballistol and hose all the metal parts with it
>>
>>31629737
Thanks...will do
>>
>>31628703
In that case TKIV 85 must be the Rolls-Royce.
>>
>>31625664
It's like a 91/30 on steroids. Get one.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.