[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Best WW2 books? I know one soldiers war is about the chechen

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 5

File: books.png (99KB, 540x971px) Image search: [Google]
books.png
99KB, 540x971px
Best WW2 books? I know one soldiers war is about the chechen war. Anyone read these books? I remembered a few off of the top of my head like tigers in the mud. Kind of expensive desu, but i feel like reading them on a screen would be shitty.

This is my cart so far, thinking of pulling the trigger but might take one or two off. This is in Canadians dollars.
>>
>>31624031
>over $20 for a book
What the fuck shit is this.
>>
>>31624035

It's Canada my friend, this website is pretty good except for the prices. It's the most popular book store in Canada. I doubt going to some second hand book store would have any of this shit.
>>
>>31624048
All you have is trees up there. How is paper so expensive?
>>
File: OldBreed.jpg (97KB, 658x1080px) Image search: [Google]
OldBreed.jpg
97KB, 658x1080px
>>31624031
I cannot recommend "With The Old Breed" enough. It is the single best combat memoir I've ever read and it really brings the horror of the Pacific Theater home.

Bonus: The Pacific is partially based on it
>>
>>31624031

Mein Kampf
>>
File: seaofthunder.jpg (38KB, 318x475px) Image search: [Google]
seaofthunder.jpg
38KB, 318x475px
>>31624031

GOAT World War II book.
>>
Any of the books about Easy Company are good; my favorites are We Who are Alive and Remain and the one about Dick Winters (Biggest Brother, I think).

A couple other good ones are The Longest Winter and Lost in Shangri-La.
>>
File: 194440.jpg (26KB, 311x475px) Image search: [Google]
194440.jpg
26KB, 311x475px
>>31624031
No Surrender. Fantastic true story about survival and guerrilla warfare. It's also provides fascinating incite into the mindset that made the Japanese such fiercely committed fighter throughout the war.

>>31624139
I second this selection.
>>
Forgotten Highlander.
>>
>>31624053
trees are frozen and moose kill everyone who approaches theird domain
>>
>>31624031
Blood Red Snow is a pretty good recollection from the German side of the Eastern Front.

If you're looking for a great book to demonstrate how ridiculously flawed the "just bomb them" concept is, take a read of Rhetoric and Reality in Air Warfare by Tami Davis Biddle. Looks at the strategic bombing campaigns of WW2, and particularly how little they actually accomplished.
>>
File: 45025.jpg (82KB, 406x601px) Image search: [Google]
45025.jpg
82KB, 406x601px
Kommando by James Lucas is one of my favorites. All his other books ive read are good too. Currently reading Das Reich.
>>
>>31624543
>the part where he talked about dodging bullets

kind of ruined it for me, but in the end I don't think waging a one man guerrilla war for about 30 years is something a completely sane individual does, nor is it something that lends itself to sanity either
>>
The collected writings of General Zhukov were compiled into a book about Stalingrad, if was fantastic. Also, the Stroop Report.
>>
>>31624139
Yeah the guy has a good writing style, really enjoyed reading it.
>>
>>31624031
Up Front by Bill Mauldin. Story of Willy and Joe, the cartoon heroes of America in WWII. Cannot recommend it enough. Should be required reading of anyone enlisting.
>>
>>31624031
Helmet For My Pillow by Robert Leckie, that book and With The Old Breed by Eugene Sledge make up pretty much the entirety of the source material for The Pacific.

Black Edelweiß by Johann Voß, which is the memoir of a W-SS Gebirgsjäger in Finland and later during Op. Nordwind.

Inside The Third Reich by Albert Speer

Marshal Zhukov's Greatest Battles b Georgi Zhukov

Panzer Leader by Heinz Guderian

In Deadly Combat by Gottlob Bidermann

The Forgotten Soldier by Guy Sajer

I've heard good things about Currahee by Donald Burgett.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.