[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Make your own Ammo and Smokeless Powder

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 89
Thread images: 11

File: .44 Rimfire.jpg (4MB, 4320x3240px) Image search: [Google]
.44 Rimfire.jpg
4MB, 4320x3240px
Anyone can make black powder and paper cartridges.

But does anyone know to reliably make their own metallic cartridge ammo?
>>
>>31606674
Yes .But i wont share.
>>
http://kegisland.com/black-powder-9mm-luger.html

This guy experiments with black powder in smokeless cartidges, among other things. So far there's .308 cetme, 9mm largo and 9km luger.

Combine that with homemade black powder and cast bullets and you're getting somewhere.

Primers would be difficult though, as would cases from scratch.
>>
>>31606674
The guy who made the Luty SMG has a book for making cartridges with brass tubing or something. Can't help you on the smokeless powder.
>>
http://www.mediafire.com/file/83f199tfltrkkkk/Homemade+Guns+And+Homemade+Ammo+-+Brown+-+Loompanics.pdf

TL;DR Primers are a motherfucker.

Brass can be turned out on a lathe if you're willing to do it, otherwise you need a hydraulic press that's good for several hundred tons.

Bullets are easy to cast.

Black powder isn't hard to make, but proper smokeless powder is somewhat difficult and dangerous.
>>
>>31606674
There are several videos on Youtube where they use strike-anywhere matches for powder, and the very tips of the matches for priming.
>>
>>31607557
>TL;DR Primers are a motherfucker.

this
casings are moderately easy
bullets are easy
black powder is moderately easy
smokeless is tricky but not impossible.
primers are a bitch.

honestly it would be easier to just drill a hole and shove a slow match into it every shot.
>>
>>31607557
>>31607676
How about stick with percussion caps with Potassium Chlorate
>>
>>31607978
It'll work.

But not 100% of the time.

And any time you're working with primary explosives, they desire your fingers, and will strike at any time to achieve their goal.
>>
>>31607557
I think I've seen impact-triggered primer made with matchbox strike pad shavings added to ground-up match heads. Seems like the same concept as seen in Chinese firecrackers, the paper ones you throw on the ground? I have no idea how difficult it would be to render primer from straight potassium nitrate, sulfur, and a shock-activated material. Maybe quartz, as it is piezoelectric, but that might be complicated to set up properly.
>>
>>31607676
Wait what if some primers are easier than others?

Pinfire? Rimfire?
>>
>>31608001
Chlorate primers were used for decades (they actually predate the fulminate mixes) and were known for their reliability.
>>
>>31608072
See, people have made primers work out of strike anywhere matches before.

There are a couple of issues.

One, the guy who did that didn't make his own primers, he just reloaded spent primers. Actually making primers that will fit in a given piece of brass is hard.

Two, a reliability below like 99.99% isn't really acceptable in repeating firearms.

Three, primary explosives love to blow your fucking hands off.

Four, if they ban guns, who's to say they won't ban strike anywhere matches.
>>
>>31608073
>centerfire

centerfire is easier by a mile. go watch a video on how rimfire primers are literally poured into cases
>>
>>31608142
Hmm so primers are the hardest to make with center fire being the easiest of the primers. interesting.
>>
>>31608157
Primers are simple.
Small cup and anvil with grade school chemistry.
Making a workable smokeless powder or even drawing cases is much more difficult.
>>
>>31608334
That is Contrary to
>>31607676

Someone figure this out.
>>
>>31608334
For Smokeless Powder I recommend Poudre B or other Single-Base Powders
>>
>>31608118
That doesn't sound right. Potassium chlorate isn't sensitive enough to detonate from an impact. There would have to be other volatiles in the mix.
>>
>>31608407
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potassium_chlorate#Uses
>>
>>31608407
Just like fulminate primer were named for the main ingredient chlorate primers were named for their main ingredient.
This is supposedly the Frankford Arsenal recipe for primers during the 30/40 Krag era.
Sulfur and its compounds are known sensitizers for chlorate compounds.
Potassium Chlorate 50.54%
Antimony Sulfide 26.31%
Sulfur 8.76%
Ground glass 12.39%
Shellac 2.00%
>>
>>31608436
Yes 'one key ingredient'. The other key ingredient being fulminates.
>>
>>31608447
thanks
>>
File: afraid.jpg (22KB, 378x372px) Image search: [Google]
afraid.jpg
22KB, 378x372px
Has /k/ ever managed to throw together something like Luty's book? I read his British standard piping one years ago and being from the same country with noguns one combining the knowledge of /k/ would be great.

Mostly because I want to build a bunker to hide in, and since I would get fucked in the ass for making anything before the shittening a good list of materials to prepare and what you can make out of what would also mean I could spend my time in the bunker effectively, making all the guns there is nobody left to stop me making.

Pic related it's the dog.
>>
>>31608130
>Four, if they ban guns, who's to say they won't ban strike anywhere matches.

Don't even need strike-anywheres, just the normal matches will do just fine.

What you have to do is set it up so that when the hammer hits the primer, it crushes some match head material between two small pieces of the striking material that come on the box.

There's also youtube videos of someone using ground up match head material as a substitute for gunpowder, it works well enough to put a .38 through a considerable amount of ballistic gel.
>>
>>31608521
Wouldn't be better to just make black powder instead of buying a lot of matches?
>>
>>31608536
Nitrates are hard to come by in Australia without getting a knock on the door.
>>
>>31608574
I heard Potassium Nitrate was harvested from animal droppings in Europe.
>>
>>31608521
What you're describing is something called Armstrong's Mixture, and you don't want to fuck with it.
>>
>>31608590
Yes, but compare the price of making a chicken coop, raising chickens, and harvesting their crap vs buying a few value packs of matchboxes. I know which one I'd rather do.
>>
>>31606674
I need to know this in case I time travel. I'm gonna look like a jackass if I invent a repeating rifle that jams solid if it isn't cleaned after erry shot.
>>
Codys lab on youtube has alot of videos regarding this stuff.
>>
Khyber Pass makes ammo, but I have suspicious it is recycled not completely newly made.
>>
>>31608521
>>31608130
There is Lead (II) Azide
>>
>>31609482
Not used in primers.
You generally do not want your mix to react with its container.
>>
>>31609602
At least can it be used in Percussion Caps?
>>
>>31609692
If you feel like losing bits
>>
>>31608611
I'd assume that would be a tertiary reason, also I've tried match primers and they are only about 70%ish reliable.

>>31608488
If you haven't already made guns when it's time to go into the bunker you have fucked up. No power for electrical tools and no experience with hand tools means you'll probably be fucked
>>
>>31609752
Make Medieval Handgonnes :^)
>>
>>31608334
Primers can be as simple as Potassium Chlorate.

It also makes for a fantastic explosive in general, if you plan on making reactivated grenades and ordnance, though making RDX is probably the hands down king but is harder and more difficult to make in bulk in the fact that your quantities of production go way the fuck down to be safe.

Casings are easy though, and I'm surprised nobody thought of it.

Polymer anybody?

Specifically PVC impregnated fiberglass? The sort of shit being used to make the LSAT telescoped rounds?

I have something drafted, similar to the LSAT rounds, which is basically if you had a PVC Fiberglass filament 3D printer, which basically is LSAT casings, but if not, just regular casings which I'd need to experiment with.

You basically print off the body of the casing and using a mill, machine the bottom from steel, which includes the rim and primer housing. The design works so that it will lock into the casing's bottom if inserted, but you would need to chill it quite a bit to get a tight seal without using an adhesive of sorts, in which case a resin could suffice.

Don't know how it scales up from 556 since it's such a low pressure round, but with experimentation I could see something as big as .50 BMG working.
>>
>>31609752
>not putting a generator or tools in the bunker
Absolute madman. Is there a reason you can't use a generator?

And a Luty can be made in a week and only needs to be rifled after. IIRC for nukes you're not leaving the bunker within two weeks at best.
>>
>>31609752
>>31609853
Here's an idea, grow bamboo (grows quickly) to turn to bamboo charcoal, to turn to wood gas (Wood gassifier) for a generator.
>>
File: 1475288009125.jpg (525KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
1475288009125.jpg
525KB, 2048x1152px
>>31609785
Polymer casings tend to deform in hot chambers and need thick walls to not deform under magazine pressure, thick enough to require a heeled bullet.

barely related but I did make a .455 adams bullet that chunked itself halfway into a 2x4 out of the skirt of a lead bullet, a bubble tea straw and a shotgun primer.

>>31609853
The power needed will put wear on the generator to run the tools and the LUTY very much needs a lot of machine tools and a generator with the umf to power a workshop would be problematic to run in most bunkers.
>>
>>31609903
This is a pretty baller idea, if I can't make the Luty I could always use the bamboo to shoot deadly poison arrows at Lord Huwotmate and his gang of fruity lads.

>>31609907
I'm sure the only machine tool required for it is to do the rifling, it was designed to be made with hand tools in a shed. I'm talking about the 9mm pipe gun, I know he designed a few.
>>
>>31610028
The pipe gun requires a welder, a drill and a lathe, m8.
>>
>>31610028
I obsess over small self-sufficient communities making their various weapons and tools
>>
>>31607473
>9km luger
>9km
>km

stop it anon, i can only get so erect.
>>
>>31610107
Maybe when you get reincarnated as the machine spirit of a planetary gun.
>>
>>31610048
>>31610075
Well shit, my effects have been so well and truly chilled I don't even want to check but I see no reason to doubt you. You've probably put more thought into it than I have too (not worrying about it at the moment since I don't even have a place to put a bunker - a crippling flaw in my plan).

What would your suggestion be for someone that doesn't want to get buttfucked at Her Majesty's leisure? Make 'em, bury 'em and act fast when the sirens ring?
>>
>>31610184
>Make 'em, bury 'em and act fast when the sirens ring
Pretty much. Depending on how much money you have and if you have friends stateside you could import parts piecemeal into the UK.
>>
>>31610184
Bunkers are nice, but I also suggest mobile homes and even houseboats. Live anywhere and everywhere. Soon new technology might allow people living in airships in the sky.

Use the bunker for storing your stuff and resources and for final hiding, but don't shy away from having above ground areas. Basic mobile homes (which have no foundation) can be placed in an area.

It is better to make a community than to go all alone but here are all my suggestions.

Like what I mentioned before, grow bamboo, it is the miracle building material. Imagine wood only not taking forever to grow. Make sure you have good soil by using nay animal or human waste and any non-toxic biomass to help fertilize the soil.

Grow bamboo, cut it down, turn to bamboo charcoal, put in gassifier to turn to wood gas (instructions int he internet). then you can power your generator.

Keep your bunker at a sightly higher pressure than the outside. This way poison gas does not leak into it if there is poison gas near (they did this for the maginot line).

For weaponry, use basic hardware/gardening tools for melee. If you can get firearms, invest in making black powdered weapons. A muzzle loading or swivel gun would be nice for a bunker.

The best thing for lolz would be an Armored vehicles, make your own mini bunker that moves. Take a WWI style design and stick an engine int he middle of it.
>>
How about taking cap gun ammo and sticking them in used primer cups with the firing pin dent smoothed out?
>>
>>31610298
That can work, the problem is if the stores run out of cap gun ammo.
>>
>>31610218
I knew someone who vouched for WW2 weapons being a good bet for reactivation, but when I check online it seems to only be split into two types of deactivated gun, depending upon which side of a firearms act they were deactivated. I thought dry firing guns could be salvaged but a thread earlier today shot that idea down.

Guy was a machinist though so probably was forgetting the fact not everyone just whips up gun parts for fun in a country where there's no ammo. I've come across almost as many illegal guns as bullets here.

I may just never open the bunker and become a mole man, living off bamboo and mushrooms and a light from my woodgas lantern. Given my poor preperation the bunker will likely wind up being underneath a staircase with a load of mattress piled against the door with two days supply of vodka and tinned beef inside.
>>
>>31610309
Of course, I'd just figure I'd throw it out there. Maybe people won't be smart enough to realize it and only the clever ones will raid the dollar store for cap guns
>>
>>31610309
>>31610402
It's worth pointing out that the active ingredient in cap guns, armstrong's mixture, is something you can make out of matchbooks.

But as many aspiring meth cooks will tell you, extracting the red phosphorous is a pain in the ass.
>>
>>31609907
>>31609785
>>31609692
>>31609602
>>31608521
>>31608447
>>31608346

Theres already a commercial product for this, for those ultra-autists who reload 22lr.

http://sharpshooter-22lr-reloader.myshopify.com/products/prime-all-repriming-compound
>>
>>31608334
>drawing cases is much more difficult.
making balloon-head brass is fucking easy
All you need is a screw press and sheet brass
>>
>>31608450
>The other key ingredient being fulminates
fulminate primers are a different beast than chlorate primers
>>
>>31610539
Repriming Compound Recipe:

ANTIMONY TRISULPHIDE (SB2 S3) -325MES

Ground glass

Sulfur

POTASSIUM CHLORATE
>>
>>31609785
>RDX
That's not how you spell nitrostarch
>>
>>31610268
Cheers Anon, I will remember your advice, and failing everything else I will buy the seeds and equipment to create a bamboo-woodgas monopoly the likes of which Europe has never seen.

If economic collapse approaches I will snap up some tractors for that authentic WWI tank feel.
>>
File: Republic of Molossia.jpg (138KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Republic of Molossia.jpg
138KB, 1280x720px
>>31610595
Basic agriculture is also good, chickens are the easiest for livestock as well.

You know what, just make a Micronation.
>>
>>31610556
>balloon-head brass

Tell us more.
>>
File: standard[1].jpg (55KB, 640x309px) Image search: [Google]
standard[1].jpg
55KB, 640x309px
>>31611191
>>
>>31611322
What are examples of #3 cartridges?
>>
>>31611322
Saw that when I googled. What I was hoping for was a more detailed description of how to make them. >>31610556 said all you need is a screw press and sheet brass. There's got to be more to it.
>>
>>31607473
>9km Luger Space Gun master race checking in
>>
File: UMC38SWearly4[1].jpg (15KB, 509x429px) Image search: [Google]
UMC38SWearly4[1].jpg
15KB, 509x429px
>>31611384
Old .32 and .38 S&W cartridges, .577/450, etc
>>
File: temp.png (271KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
temp.png
271KB, 1366x768px
>>31611409
Those are the only things that you need in order to start. You also need a die, but that is as simple as getting a steel mandrill and a hole drilled through a steel plate.
>>
File: Untitled.png (365KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
365KB, 1366x768px
>>31611619
>>
>>31611409
There is.
You need to actually be able to make dies that account of rthings like springback. You also need the proper grain structure and hardness in differnt parts of the brass.
The ballon head cases are fairly weak and were only useful for low pressure loads.
>>
File: image_8_0.jpg (15KB, 342x342px) Image search: [Google]
image_8_0.jpg
15KB, 342x342px
>>31607473
>9km luger
>>
>>31608611
just dig up the ground beneath a bench where all the homeless people and abbos piss and sleep. boil it out and concentrate.
>>
>>31608611
But you get chickens too for food.
>>
>>31607526
Can you link it? I can't find anything of the sort and it seems like something neat for SHTF.
>>
>>31614210
Pretty sure they're on his website. They're called "expedient homemade handgun ammunition" and "expedient homemade shotgun ammunition" or something like that. Both require you to source 8mm blanks from somewhere though so they really aren't ideal unless you live in a country where ammunition is highly regulated yet you can still get blanks.
>>
bampu
>>
>>31614210
http://thehomegunsmith.com/homemadeammo.shtml
Honestly though, if you're looking for SHTF prepping stuff, those docs aren't going to be all that useful. The books are more of a proof of concept that a determined DIYer can skirt 1st world gun and ammo restrictions very easily. Most of Luty's stuff is like that.
>>
File: early-gevelot-pistol.jpg (735KB, 1600x1100px) Image search: [Google]
early-gevelot-pistol.jpg
735KB, 1600x1100px
>>31615861
So what is the easiest SHTF cartridge to make? A shotgun shell made of a toilet paper roll? A rolled brass like for a Martini Henry? A pinfire?
>>
>>31610268
Another option in place of a generator could be a thermopile. Enough thermocouples in series could be exposed to a fire or some heat source (or even outside if it's cold enough) to generate voltage. The only thing you need to make a thermocouple is 2 dissimilar metals joined.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermopile
It would be difficult but not impossible and a viable option should a generator prove to be impractical.
>>
>>31610539
>reloading 22lr

Who are these people? I'm imagining CWC with a some a benchgun that needs its own trailer to transport.
>>
>>31618455
I feel like it would be more catered towards people with obsolete rimfire cartridges that aren't made or at least are very expensive/hard to find. (think .32 rimfire)
>>
>>31618419
What about just setting up shop near a river and going full 15th century with a water powered drill, sander and bandsaw
>>
>>31607473
>9km luger
Width or length? Because that may as well be an asteroid.
>>
>>31619047
"My Luger's 9km... around"
>>
>>31607557
>several hundred tons

I haven't done the math to calculate needed tonnage for a progressive die, but if you stuck to single-stage tools you wouldn't need more than 35 tons.

Brass is hard to fuck up with.
>>
I found the Gold Mine Gentlemen

https://homemadeguns.wordpress.com/
>>
>>31619557
Neat! I think this one might be a continuation of another blog called improguns, because I'm sure I found one named that a couple of years ago that cut off somewhere in 2013/14
Thread posts: 89
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.