[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

SHTF Vehicle

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 217
Thread images: 68

File: image.jpg (388KB, 1024x750px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
388KB, 1024x750px
What's the best common vehicle for SHTF under 30K?

Pic definitely not under 30K
>>
any diesel that is all mechanical
>>
File: image.jpg (38KB, 440x440px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
38KB, 440x440px
>>31603938
>>
>>31603966
24v Cummins Turbo Diesel c. 1998
>>
File: Land rover For Sale1.jpg (87KB, 1000x750px) Image search: [Google]
Land rover For Sale1.jpg
87KB, 1000x750px
>>31603938
my 99 land rover discovery 2 TD5 Diesel working on converting it.
>>
>>31603989
Dat driveline maintenance tho.
>>
File: 76 bronco.jpg (126KB, 1032x580px) Image search: [Google]
76 bronco.jpg
126KB, 1032x580px
fugin Ford Bronco

rumor has it they're making a comeback in a few years
>>
>>31603980

Weren't the last all mechanical diesels in a dodge pick up pre 96 though?
>>
>>31603938
A quality mountain bike and a personal trainer to get your fat ass in shape
>>
>>31604046
Too many electronics, and they will probably give it an aluminum body.
>>
>>31604047
98' when they changed the bodystyle I thought.

The 24v was the most common diesel (of the big three) that the least moving parts.

When I was a heavy line tech I could strip one to its block ( heads off ) in 2 hours. My personal best.
>>
File: DSCN0828.jpg (4MB, 2937x2203px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN0828.jpg
4MB, 2937x2203px
>>31603938
>>
>>31603989

>british
>reliable

kek
>>
File: 1471918118192.jpg (541KB, 1433x1075px) Image search: [Google]
1471918118192.jpg
541KB, 1433x1075px
>>31603938

used lexus LX/land cruiser/4runner
>>
Older Silverados and Suburbans, as well as G20 vans.

Easy to work on. (Not so much on the G20) Easy to modify, and most importantly? Fucking parts everywhere for them. Not to mention some parts are interchangeable with the Suburbans/Silverados.
>>
File: download.jpg (9KB, 287x175px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
9KB, 287x175px
>>31603938
anyone that says anything else is wrong.
>>
>>31604130
>Faggot city bike
>No room for strapping packs
>Shit wheels
>>
>>31604029
Ive never had a problem. I converted it to the td5 3 years ago. god i love that hemi diesel sound.
>>
File: frd-29075r-1.jpg (411KB, 1653x1102px) Image search: [Google]
frd-29075r-1.jpg
411KB, 1653x1102px
Any pre-2ks diesel. As minimal as possible automatic functions. Most of the side points like ground clearance can be adjusted later by the various off road places.

Really location will determine most of it.
>>
>>31603938
Chevy K20 pickup with
long bed
Dual side-saddle 20gallon tanks
a suburban gas tank replacing the spare in the under-bed location
A propane injector plate
In bed transfer tank
Welding gear
Tools/spare parts
Two spares
And a truck cap to make it all appear stock from the outside
>>
Toyota 4runner

/thread
>>
>>31604130
>Shtf
>This hipster faggot is trying to make it innawoods with a high-speed lowdrag pavement queen

If this is your plan you are going to die stupidly and leave a dumb corpse
>>
>>31604225
>I sink and become hopelessly stuck when i leave the road: the post
>>
>Current year
>Believing the EMP meme
>Driving a shitbox deathtrap from the 70s and putting your family at risk in a far more plausible vehicular collision to placate your delusions
KEK!
>>
File: 1438199293765.jpg (49KB, 790x790px) Image search: [Google]
1438199293765.jpg
49KB, 790x790px
>SHTF
>Vehicle

No.
>>
>>31604130
Turbo Kid?
>>
>>31604046
There's a law that a nameplate can be used by another manufacturer 20 years after the original manufacturer last made it.
So since the last bronco was 1996, they have to release a model to the public by the end of this year or someone else can grab it.

This is why they had the rebadged "cougar"15 years ago.
>>
>>31604535
a proper diesel engine can run on nearly any liquid fuel
if you only use your vehicle for long distance transportation your fuel will spoil long before you run out
>>
>>31604535
>No one iis going to be looking for old canned food and shit inna woods

Haha yeah, what idiots are thinking there's food sources in the woods. Morons.
>>
>>31604115
>terrible millage
>fuck heavy
>lol GM

Good luck going innawoods with a 2 ton brick
>>
File: foot_0.jpg (37KB, 640x430px) Image search: [Google]
foot_0.jpg
37KB, 640x430px
>>
File: shtf bicycle 2.jpg (47KB, 720x540px) Image search: [Google]
shtf bicycle 2.jpg
47KB, 720x540px
Anyone thinking a gasoline or diesel powered vehicle is the right move needs to honestly answer one question...how long do you think fuel will be available?

Before you say "muh bio deisel" remember it takes a great deal of feul to grow, harvest and refine it as it produces under optimal situations, bio diesel won't even be a thing .with out slave labor to grow and harvest. Do you have the sources to feed and house a shit load of slaves while you get that operation up and running?
>>31603976
>>31604059
>>31604130
Bicycles are the most logical means of transportation along with carts pulled by people, forget animals because they were last weeks dinner. If you had the money right now you could get a solar charging station for an electric car working but no one here has those means I don't think.

>pic related
Anyone shitposting about city bikes inna woods is trolling, most will try surviving near pavement and in fact savaging for food and shit will ALL happen near pavement. No one is going to be looking for old canned food and shit inna woods. Though dirt tires are still a better idea long term. City tires are weak like little girl.
**Edited for spelling like a 4 year old, sooo hungover.
>>31604572
>a proper diesel engine can run on nearly any liquid fuel
And where will you find a continua source of fuel oils...few can distill them. Any refinery in operation will be controlled by some group who won't likely be sharing with others.
>>31604589 AGin, sorry for deleting your quoted post

I'm going to continue on the subject of feul powered vehicles being a bad idea.
>>
>>31603938
You can get a BMP 60 for around $16,000 plus shipping and handling.
>>
Any of these
>Squarebody 1500 - New 1500s
>5th gen F-150 - New F-150s
>1st/2nd gen Rams
>Jeep XJ
>Pre-FCA Jeep Wranglers
>Ford Rangers/Mazda B-Series
>Toyota FJs
>Toyota Landcruisers

There's a few more options, especially motorcycles, along with SUVs based on the said trucks above chassis'. Plenty out there.
>>
Mainland Europe submission; 4 ton military truck conversion.

MAN FAE 6xxx
>>
>>31604269
The biggest issue is going to be fuel followed by breaking shit and being robbed. Offroading is low on priorities comparitively and the full size GM pickup will still be good enough for logging roads, two tracks and fields. A trail rig is shit out of luck after a few hundred miles.

If you're mud bogging and rock crawling in shtf you're doing it wrong.

A moderately loaded farm/work truck with a crap ton of fuel is exactly what you want.
>>
File: 56fc517b0d83b5989a45067779501c96.jpg (247KB, 1600x1067px) Image search: [Google]
56fc517b0d83b5989a45067779501c96.jpg
247KB, 1600x1067px
>>31604712
>>
>>31604650
>.how long do you think fuel will be available
Infinite years. You can cook diesel from common vegetables, you can make it from waste cooking oils, you can use waste motor oil aftet heavy processing, you can even make it out of animal fat, including the fat neckbeards who don't do any research before spewing opinions on 4chin
>>
>>31604594
I don't know shit about vehicles the post
>>
>>31604046
I'll bet you they make it into a 4 door rwd suv with no removable top on the new ranger to make it exactly what the explorer used to be before they turned it into a pigfat crossover
>>
>>31604737

Muh fuel filters
Muh fuel injectors

You do realize pouring some half assed diesel fuel is going to fuck the rest of your fuel system up? Hell isuzu medium and heavy duty trucks are fucking up left and right just from normal diesel thats sold nowadays
>>
>>31604720
>If you're mud bogging and rock crawling in shtf you're doing it wrong.

Im going to assume we live in vastly different locales.

If it wasn't for the hundreds of DOT workers working gard the roads here in idaho would be worthless outside some desert stretches outside population centers.

In a shtf here i am planning for downed trees, flooded/rockslides/mudslide sections , dust storms covering roads, unplowed and icy conditions, and plenty of abandoned vehicles by people who gambled on nothing ever habbening.

Obviously if you live in central Nebraska at worst you plan for sunny weather
>>
File: W460-300GDL.jpg (82KB, 768x477px) Image search: [Google]
W460-300GDL.jpg
82KB, 768x477px
G-class with an OM617 motor. Will run forever and engine parts can be found in most countries.
>>
>>31604737
Distilling alcohol to use in gas engines is simpler than making your own diesel. A carburetor gasoline engine is also easier to convert to lp or wood power.

Diesel engines get better range.
>>
Having a lot of parts readily available is very important. F150s, Chevy Silverados, toyotas etc are all great for this. Shit like land rovers and more obscure brsnds/cars aren't good.
>>
File: 0.jpg (23KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
0.jpg
23KB, 480x360px
>>31604842
Notice people arn't recommending modern shitboxes. Nearly everything has been older with less strict tolerances and emissions bullshit .

Back when vehicles were made to last 10years being filled with non blended feel good fuels.
>>
>>31604907
Alcohols are hell to maintain though. It's a viable option but they will eat rubber gaskets and rust issues since they absorb water making that watet separator pretty worthless. I don't know enough about wood gas to argue thay one though.
>>
I underrated this is a "fun" thread but I can't not take prepping seriously.

>>31604737
So you're going to use food to produce fuel?
I don't think you and many others here have thought this completely through anon.
>including the fat neckbeards who don't do any research before spewing opinions
I have thought it through till it's logical end. You also need injectors and filters that aren't available. The dirtier the fuel the faster that engine stops functioning. Again, I'm not trying to ba a contrary asshole
I just know what I'm talking about, I was born into a self sufficient family and raise my children the same. If SHTF happens and I don't believe it will the societal changes will be more drastic than anyone who hasn't been preppeing and focusing on it simply don't a fucking clue.

How about this. Everyone is starving to death except those with small armies allowing them to constantly take everything they need to survive...what happens when these groups hear your trucks, when they smell the distilling equipment your vehicles have to have, what happens when they come for you.

Grey man means not being seen not just walking around an area or driving and they will have recon in effect What happens when they smell l that fuel production? Go ahead and have you fun talking about what you would do and I will post about what I have done.

I have a charging station and a very large battery farm powered by turbines harnessing two bicycles that are basically hybrid 30 speeds. Two people expending minimal calories can charge up a farm that can power three homes...with hot water, deep freezers and entertainment and security systems including motion detectors . They make no real noise and give off no smoke or smells of any kind to alert others. Tell me which of us has a better chance to never catch the attention of groups looking to take everything we own.
>>
>>31605075
Yeah. If you plan to ever run alcohol you're best off rebuilding the engine and fuel system like you're going E85 before any shtf.

Wood-gas conversion is generally ridiculous Mad Max level of ruining cars. Still the fuel is easy to find.
>>
>>31603966
Why Diesel? in the US it's not as common.
>>
>>31605075
Natural rubber is shit anyway and there's not actually a whole lot of it in contact with the fuel system. Replace your flex lines with Teflon-lined stainless and your injector seals with Viton and you're good to go.
>>
Volvo 240.
>>
>>31605172
Your shtf scenario may make sense for you.

I don't subscribe to the same. My immediate shtf is Yellowstone going off and a financial implosion. I'm good with my immediate neighbors and really don't see random army sprouting up especially if fuel and food are as unobtanium as you expect.

I practice permaculture so i don't worry about food, and turning wastes into fuel is a natural expansion of operations.

As for fuel injection. They're a fairly recently thing, carburetors still work fine. Filters can be rebuilt with some ingenuity. Seriously they're a piece of cardboard wrapped around a tin can if you ever popped open a fram shit filter.

Even dirty injectors would be minor. A pipe cleaner and some freetime will set them to good enough condition. Im not aiming for maximum fuel efficiency or emission compliance
>>
>>31605928
>Yellowstone going off
Every one either dies in the first two hours or in the next 2 months, period. The thing most non preppers don't think about is in our modern world we have so many nuke plants and chemical manufacturing facilities and other things that would go red on top the 7.6 billion people. No one survives any of the three largest super caldera's going full retard.

Another thing to take into consideration is that China, North Korea and possibly Russia taking the opportunity to launch a bunch of nukes at each other. The are a hundred variables no one ever thinks about.

I've been on /k/ since moot gave birth and one thing that has really disappointed me is no one involved in creating the hundreds of thousands of action plans our DoD relies on has ever come here and talked about all the different way we will go extinct someday. I spent some time with an old retired dude and he talked about a few of the more tongue in cheek ones...like if Canada invaded or if there really was some kind of rabies virus that was super fast acting like in WWZ. They really have shit like that, kek.
>>
File: TO THE BORDER.jpg (294KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
TO THE BORDER.jpg
294KB, 1600x1200px
Worked for the rooskies
will work for me
>>
>>31605237
because if SHTF is because of an EMP mechanical diesels will still work
and because gasoline will run out sooner
>>
File: cessnas.jpg (590KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
cessnas.jpg
590KB, 1024x768px
pic related with STOL kit, long range tanks, floats, in alaska
>>
>>31606227
>because if SHTF is because of an EMP
It would almost be worth it to watch all the social networking children loosing their fucking minds...think about how beautiful that would be.
>>
File: Honda XL600R 85 01.jpg (200KB, 1600x1023px) Image search: [Google]
Honda XL600R 85 01.jpg
200KB, 1600x1023px
Honda xl600r
>>
Honestly, you all would be better off with some kind of jap shit like a toyota or subaru, reliable, and the parts would be easy to find if needed replacing.
>>
>>31606476
>Subaru

Boxer engines are difficult to find a mechanic for. Other than that they make some of the most practical off-road vehicles.

>all these trucks
You amerifats realize trucks are designed to haul shit, not go off-road right? Most of what's on your roads are too big to fit on any paths anyway...
>>
>>31606198
Ural?
If so, enjoy running maintenance on it every time its used, those things fuck up faster than a black kid at a white school.
>>
>>31606502
>Boxer engines are difficult to find a mechanic for. Other than that they make some of the most practical off-road vehicles.

True, my first car was a Subaru Outback and the thing ran tight as a drum outside the usual wear and tear items. I have an Audi now, and that thing has been nothing but a headache, so I'm looking to replace that soon, might just go back to Subaru.
>>
>>31606364
>keep all my shit in EMP hardened enclosures
>EMP happens
>everyone goes crazy
>meanwhile I can continue shitposting via meshnet
>>
>>31606232
aviation maintenance in SHTF quintuple kek
>>
File: IMG_0355.jpg (4MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0355.jpg
4MB, 4032x3024px
>>31606198
Oy vey brother
>be me
>driving in SHTF
>wheel breaks
>put on spare
>drive ten miles
>ignition goes out
>replace hall sensor
>drive ten miles
>headlight wiring wriggles loose
>redo nest under dash
>drive ten miles
>let engine cool off
>drive ten miles
>final drive has leaked all its oil out and locks up
>crash

Pic related, my Siberian bullshit mashine
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (23KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
23KB, 480x360px
>>31606502
>You amerifats realize trucks are designed to haul shit, not go off-road right?
Quick contact the war department! Militaries should be switching to suburu and jeeps!
>>
>>31606703
>keep all my shit in EMP hardened enclosures
No you don'tr, it's probably right next to you right now

>EMP happens
Yes they do. As a matter of fact they have been happening every second of every day for ever. That;s what the Aurora Borealis (Northern Lights) and Aurora Australis (Southern Lights) are.

Now the kind of ass raping EMP that blacked out Canada and some of the east coast decades ago is very rare.

Now think about this. Back when the last real massive solar flare happened in 1989 almost all of our tech was first and barely second generation ...pure analog by today's standards. Your cell phone, I Pad, laptop and electronics in everything ARE NOT HARDENED. The cell tower networks and satellites that feed it ARE NOT FUCKING HARDENED. The trunk lines for the world wide web are NOT COMPLETELY PROTECTED from a massive ionizing solar radiation created by massive solar flares.

If we saw an EMP of the exact power level that burnt up power transmission lines back in the day the the entire face of the planet meeting the storm would be dark until new hardware was made available. This is the real truth. No one will ever talk about it cause we as a race would rather bury our heads in the sand.
>EMP happens
>everyone goes crazy
Sue, why not. What else will they do when there is no more electricity to keep food cold and entertain us fuck head.
>meanwhile I can continue shitposting via meshnet
On what hardware looking at what monitor in what well lit room.

Just another ignorant human who has not a fucking clue what is waiting for our species someday.
>>
>>31606724
You aren't roaming around, youre getting to a safe location (Cabin, Bunker, etc.) far away and inaccessible to people, and waiting it out
>>
>>31607451
this guy gets it.

if you don't live in a small enough community to organize very very quickly you had better fucking be able to hide for about 6 months while the idiots eat themselves to death.

Welcome to prepping 101. Anyone interested in my short course on how to survive/
>>
>>31604981
Ill acquiesce to the point about older vehicles being recommended. However, how does parts availability affect that once simple maintenance needs to happen? Older vehicles mean less available stock around yes? Assuming you arent a welder/machinist.
>>
>>31605237
Anyone consider how diesel commonly needs to be treated with biocide? How long till stores turn to shit cuz bacteria went to town on it?
>>
>>31603938

an electric motorcycle and some solar panels

quiet, make your own fuel, can go completely innawoods
>>
>>31605237
It's standard for most heavy vehicles, construction trucks, fire trucks, garbage trucks, ambulances, most military vehicles etc.

And it lasts a lot longer than gasoline in storage
>>
YJ jeeps are cheap, easy to find and as long as you keep an extra radiator you should have no issues
>>
>>31607659

forgot to mention, also almost zero maintenance
>>
>>31604089
this is true get something army surplus
>>
File: Sarah Jessica Parker.jpg (20KB, 236x353px) Image search: [Google]
Sarah Jessica Parker.jpg
20KB, 236x353px
>SHTF
>Depending on fuel
>>
>>31607925
Hope you're a vet, have lots of feed for winter, experienced equestrian and have it broken in.

Also badly injured limb is a death sentence for the both of you.
>>
>>31607659

admit my idea is best faggots
>>
File: horse pussy.png (4MB, 1842x3024px) Image search: [Google]
horse pussy.png
4MB, 1842x3024px
>>31608006

By the mean time it takes to a horse to get injured or the winter comes in full force, you're going to be out of fuel or experience a breakdown with a motor vehicle. Specially if it is gasoline fueled engine due to gasoline having shit for a shelf life.

Also when the push comes to shove I can eat the horse, can you eat a car?
>>
>>31607617
You can post all you want about SHTF transportation but considering you will be among the retards to starve to death in the first coupls months nothing you have to say matters.

Enjoy standing is some FEMA food line that gets abandoned the second they hear there are no more resupply trucks coming faggot HAHAHHAHAH get ready top starve.
>>
>>31608154
>gasoline having shit for a shelf life.
How about not buying E85? Pure gas is still available in some states, and has a long shelf life.

Or buy or make a vehicle that runs on woodgas or propane.
>>
>>31608154
No but I can sleep in a car and then use it the next day
>>
>>31607617
Older shit is just far easier to work on yourself. Parts availability is an issue, sure, but that doesn't mean much when you're dealing with a car that's chock full of ruined electronics designed to be removed and replaced by "technicians" with proprietary tools (not diagnosed and repaired/rebuilt by a mechanic like the old days). I would rather take my chances trying to put a 70s Bronco back together with less than optimal parts over trying to service a 2016 Nissan or something with a goddamn PC in it.
>>
File: ford-trucks-diesel-8-1024x683.jpg (124KB, 1024x683px) Image search: [Google]
ford-trucks-diesel-8-1024x683.jpg
124KB, 1024x683px
>>31608195

I prefer diesel engines, more available, easier to find and the engines themselves can be started without a spark plug. There's also the multi fuel diesel engines capable of running what essentially is vegetable oil.
>>
>>31604650
>how long do you think fuel will be available?
Long enough to get me to my bug out spot
>>
>>31608195
Gasoline lasts a couple years at most. More with sta-bil I guess. Diesel with antibacterial is the way to go
>>
>>31604046
I fucking love the Ford Bronco. My brother has one and I go with him in it every chance I get.
Im gonna get one as soon as I have the money. I eventually want to make one into the greatest SHTF vehicle out there.
>>
>>31604072
There are almost no electronics in the Bronco. The only electronics are for Windows and radio, other than that it is entirely mechanical.
>>
>>31604650
You can put used oil through a diesel and it runs just as well as if you used diesel. The only difference is it is illegal because "muh environment" and it puts out red smoke/paints your exhaust red instead of black smoke. I live in Hick City, Kansas and everyone in the country does it when they are low on money.
>>
File: 01 DSC02506.jpg (1MB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
01 DSC02506.jpg
1MB, 2048x1536px
>>31605237
Gas will run out VERY quickly. Diesel is everywhere. There will be TONS of semi's sitting. There will be heavy equipment sitting too. Diesel is very, very easy to get out of these very large vehicles too. I would suggest picture related. The M1009. I currently own one, and an older, all mechanical diesel engine that will be going in it. I will be doing quite a bit of fab work for it though. But, my dad was a diesel mechanic with his own shop for several years, so this is easy for me. Come an EMP, it will still run. Those old blazers are also built very, very strong. A deuce would also be a very good option too. They run on literally anything that will burn, easy to repair and tougher than nails.
>>
>>31608275
>Long enough to get me to my bug out spot
And then it's all under your own power right?
>>31608600
Dubs checked
That Used oil will foul the injectors and filters so fast your head will so\pin. Where are you going to find a steady supply of replacements anon?
>>31608887
HAHAHAHAAH
you watch to much sci-fy friend. Thee will be people grabbing up all the extra fuel everywhere. You think it will be easy to find 12..18 months into SHTF. Wake uo friend.
>>
File: hw_640.jpg (59KB, 640x426px) Image search: [Google]
hw_640.jpg
59KB, 640x426px
>>31604046

International Scouts are better faggot
>>
File: 1473543713895.jpg (371KB, 1600x648px) Image search: [Google]
1473543713895.jpg
371KB, 1600x648px
>>31603980
>>31604047
>>31604082
Y'all sure?
The 24v is computer controlled. It's not common rail, but computer controlled none the less, which is why you can buy programmers for them and crank up the HP with the push of a button.
The TRUE mechanical Cummins motors in dodges were the 6BT 5.9L 12Valve in it's various forms froms 1989-1998.
1989-91 (Non-intercooled - VE Rotary)
1991-93 (Intercooled -VE Rotary)
1994-98 (Intercooled P7100 inline pump

There is no programmer to tune them. Granted, they do have a computer on the trucks themselves but they manage accessories and secondary functions on the vehicle, not the motor.
I have a 93 12 Valve and when the computer took a shit, I could still start and drive around, just had no alt charging, a/c, or trans overdrive. I can start the truck and pull the battery out and it'll still run and drive down the road, minus anything electrical of course.
Tl;dr
12Valve Cummins are true mechanical diesels, not 24 Valve.

For SHTF purposes, 12 > 24.

That being said, I'd take a 4cyl diesel LandCruiser over a Cummins truck.
In a bad situation I'd think you'd want the best fuel economy.
Granted, with a 3/4-1ton dodge you'd have the payload to haul lots of fuel.
It's six of one and a half-dozen of the other.
>>
>>31606502
Trucks being built to haul shit is why you want a truck. The fact that they come with robust 4wd drivelines that cand handle going where cars can't is a bonus.

Good luck moving a dozen people with a car or moving a ton of something.
>>
Anyone who wants a hydrocarbon fueled vehicle, you gotta know that even if you make your own biodiesel, if you cant find a biocide, youre fucked. Shit has a shelf life of a year max when diesel is treated and climate controlled at gas stations. Most of the stuff youll come across will be fubar in very little time.

Also water condensation could fuck that shit up to in very little time.

Use that vehicle to get out of the city n ditch it. Not worth the risks youll have to take to refuel/find spare parts for repairs.
>>
>>31606441
Holy hell yes. My dad has a xl500 from '83 that still runs as good as any of our newer bikes. Never been in the shop, just basic user maintenance.
>>
>>31610552
I've heard/read that, but....
I've also heard diesel, if stored in a cool climate(underground/out of the heat) can be "good" for 10 years. Don't know for sure, that's just what I've read.
I've seen countless pieces of farm equipment sit, out in the elements and not treated, for we'll over a year, some over 3 years, fire right up on the first crank with old diesel in them. Not to mention fuel that sits in the 1000 gallon tanks for months/years at a time function just fine when poured into a piece of equipment.
Always carry extra fuel filters next to the first aid kit.
>>
Dodge 2500 Cummins second gen would be nice
>>
I honestly believe any sort of sedan/sports/light truck would simply not be able to deliver enough performance in emergency situations, ie towing, off roading, hauling, etc.

Big heavy trucks seem the way to go. Plenty of diesel floating around in commercial equipment, flight lines, military bases, ports, etc. I'm not concerned with mileage as much as I am about delivering torque when I need it.
>>
I like the Rav4, mine is a 2011. Plenty of space for bug out type stuff and I can carry 5 people- 8 if I give up the trunk space for sitting room. It's only 4 cylinder but it gets pretty good MPG which I'd be more concerned with in shtf. It's obviously not meant for off roading but it would work pretty well driving down the median next to the highway if I had to.
>>
>>31611003
I'm going with a ford falcon, designed for Australian conditions
>>
>>31610864
So tell me about the tens of thousands you have to invest in this underground storage facility faggot

Oh...thats right. Yup have nothing to bring to the table....you just want to fantasize about SHTF.

Eat shit and bark at the moon you fucking 12 year old underage ban cocksucker
>>
>>31603976
/thread
>>
>>31604238
This anon fucking gets it.
Put a mountain bike on top and you're golden.
/thread
>>
File: IMG_0283.jpg (337KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0283.jpg
337KB, 1280x960px
Have a K5 great truck still runs strong at 270K on the 350 one of these with a small lift and some mean tires for all terrain use broncos are cheap and so are some of the dodge ram-chargers their nice for storage and weather protection plenty of room to sleep in and decently quick in a straight line remember your vehicle will be better under a 60MPH load than a 20MPH load so fuel conservation will be a must and the after market is great for these things the truck cost 800 USD 400 For a new transmission and then a extra 2500 for the lift kit tires and a new winshield
>>
>>31605928
Motherfucker I lived in Wyoming for 6 years, and went to Yellowstone 4 times while living in the southern part of the state. The Roads are shit in all seasons, so good luck getting there in heat when they're melting, or in snow when you can't fucking see because it's so goddamn windy. Plus Yellowstone is essentially outdoor disneyland. There are no more untouched trails, and most of the forests there are fucked from touristy polution. Yellowstone is the worst park to go to. Just go to Canada or Montana.
>>
>>31607925
filename.kek
>>
>>31610547
>12 people in one truck or truck w/ trailer
>Innawoods
Have fun dying, you cuck.
>>
>>31603938
That new grille makes me throw up a little every time I see one...
>>
>>31611584
Not sure you read that sentence right. If Yellowstone would to explode, there wouldn't be a yellowstone left to bug out in.
>>
>>31604130
urbanfags make me laugh sometimes
>>
>>31611545

did you put nuts on it? you should put some big ol nuts on it.
>>
>>31609714
Where I live, is on an island. The island uses diesel to power their ferry boats. They keep 50,000+ gallons here at any given time. If / when SHTF, most of the richies aren't going to stick around here. So yeah.
>>
>buy old truck with v8
>convert said truck to run off ethanol
>build a still
>never have to worry about gasoline for your truck again
>>
>>31603938
a gas guzzler would be great in a crisis where gasoline is a coveted commodity . think again dummy
>>
>>31604165
Wtf is a Hemi diesel? and the noise the TD5's make are due to them being a 5 cylinder, common to all 5 cylinders like the Fiat and Volkswagen diesels
>>
>>31607635
It's easy to kill the bacteria though, it forms between the water layer and the diesel layer so it's also easy to remove. You can't on the other hand put the voltatiles back into petrol once they've deteriorated.

>>31608195
>and has a long shelf life.
Not really, after max a couple of years it becomes next to impossible to start a spark ignition engine with it, it will run ok when warm but starting = pita
>>
>>31610552
Heh, tell that to farmers that store it for years and years in freestanding tanks, it might also sit for 6 months between even being touched until the next season starts. If it's left to sit diesel bug can form between the water and diesel but so long as it's not stirred up(ala fuel stations) then it's easy to extract clean diesel. The products to kill diesel bug are also very concentrated and easy to keep, a finger sized bottle will treat your average tank.
>>
Pretty much any Tacoma or a Silverado if you want a full size.

>>31603980
literally the worst vehicle you could get. The engine is the only reliable part of that vehicle. There is a reason you don't see Dodge's over 10 years old on the road on a regular basis. That reason is that they are shit vehicles.
>>
>>31606502
Only in faggot countries yuropoor.
>>
>>31612418
>mfw I have a 1993 Dodge Dakota and it's a great truck as long as I do regular vehicle maintenance on it
>>
>>31606502
>literally every 4x4 truck is pretty capable off road in stock form here in america, gtfo yurocuck
>>
>>31607922
guaranteed to break down as soon as you drive it.
>>
>>31603938
Toyota hylux. Fourth or fifth generation.
Near indestructible.
>>
File: images.jpg (21KB, 512x287px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
21KB, 512x287px
>>31611184
forgot the pic
>>
I got a 79 k5 triple plated steel all the way around except for the camper shell with a storage of 200/RDS of 308 win and 100/RDS of 9mm with water purification tablets homade MRE and tone of matches with extra truck parts a fishing pole a tent a map of my area and a solar powered phone and radio charger with a cb radio that has a quick connect to the trucks batter (cigarette lighter)
>>
File: IMG_1689.jpg (169KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1689.jpg
169KB, 640x480px
Got my 85 ranger for pretty cheap, put some tires and a lift kit on it, pretty based for off-road
>>
>>31612418
Tacoma is not a full size
>>
File: images.jpg (11KB, 289x175px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
11KB, 289x175px
No MXT yet? I am disappoint.
>>
Something reliable, with a gasifier. And ample space for supplies.
>>
>>31611258
Dude, chill.
I never said you had to invest in massive underground storage. I stated it was something I read. Plus, in a SHTF situation, once your primary stock runs out I'd imagine you'd be siphoning from abandoned fuel stations, who have already invested the tens of thousands for you.
My basic point with my post was diesel fuel can remain stable and useable far longer than stated in the post I was replying to, which I'm going to assume was your based on the /b/ level butthurt you spilled.
As for biodiesel, I have no idea about its shelf life. My only experience is with petroleum diesel.
Plus, if you run out of diesel, you can drain motor oil out of all the abandoned cars lying around and run that as fuel.
>>
>>31605636
I absolutely loved mine. Best first car a guy could ever ask for.
>>
I'd probably want a truck or SUV for moving somewhere with muh shit and then an off-road/adventure bike for more "normal" use
>>
>all these full size trucks
>all these V8 engines
I mean literally how have you guys not thought of fuel consumption?
Get something lighter and better on gas.
A fucking Volkswagen Rabbit diesel pick up with 4x4 would last you way longer than your full sized pick ups with your dumbass 35x12 inch tires.
>>
>>31604875
>he doesn't realize Nebraska gets terrible blizzards
>>
>>31604746
He's got a point about the mileage. With a gas engine you're only looking at 12 mpg normally.
>>
File: image.jpg (96KB, 604x442px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
96KB, 604x442px
Drove this xj through high school and all the way up until last year (I'm 26).

10 Michigan winters in a factory 2wd/rwd ONLY Jeep. (No, the 4wd wasn't broken, it didn't exist. There's a fucking change tray where my 4wd selector would be.) I'm thinking it was some kind of special order because of the rwd-only paired with the 4.0.

Anyway... Highly recommended for sheer toughness. Never had to touch the motor or do any major repairs. The body will most likely rust away before you can get it to stop chugging.
>>
>>31605237
Diesel engines as a whole are typically more reliable than gas engines, more powerful and better fuel use in heavy duty applications. The combustion in diesels comes from the the extreme compression and a proper fuel air mix. No spark plugs, no spark plug wires, or ignition coil to fail. As some of the others have said, an entirely mechanical diesel only needs fuel and oil to run.
>>
>>31605237
Diesel is more common in the US than you think. The majority of the industrial movers run on diesel, as well as most agricultural equipment. Being less commonly used is actually a good thing as well. The mass majority of people needing gasoline means immediate scarcity post-shtf. Less demand for diesel means better availability in that situation. At least for a while.
>>
What does /k/ think of the suzuki samurai?

Pros:
>cheap
>4x4
>light
>Good aftermarket

Cons:
>old
>unibody
>rust

I am considering one for a weekend trail vehicle
>>
>>31615109
yea this.
>>
File: 1475511679903.jpg (57KB, 640x479px) Image search: [Google]
1475511679903.jpg
57KB, 640x479px
>>31606502
Mfw when the truck I currently own is also the least capable offroader I've had and... I've still taken it down atv trails. Offroading also happens to rely a fair amount on skill eurobro.
>>
>>31603938
somewhat unrelated question,

without modification can a diesel engine run off pure ethanol? Could I just dump Everclear into my gas tank and be fine?
>>
>>31608559
That anon was talking about the upcoming 2017 model of Bronco. You're thinking of the first gen bronco's and the only electronics outside the engine are the blower for the heater,radio, and lights. Windows were hand crank and even the windshield wipers on the originals were hand operated.
>>
>>31612631
>what is rust for 400$?
>>
The U.S. military is working on a small dirtbike.
It's multi-fuel (diesel, gas, JP8, everclear)
It's also hybrid meaning it can run on just it's battery. Which you could charge with solar panels.
It's also only 250 pounds.
It also goes 70 MPH with a 3.3 second 0-60 launch.

So I'd imagine it's the best "SHTF" vehicle since it runs on battery, gas, diesel, and fucking moonshine.
Oh and it's a dirt bike (more of a dualsport actually) and very capable off road.
>>
>>31616136
It will never really become anything, same thing happened with the diesel KLR-650 (m1030 or something) that the Marine Corps produced for the Reconnaissance community. They don't exist anymore, just sitting in a DRMO lot somewhere.
>>
>>31604089
This. IIRC these have 20 weapon slots, 200 item slots, and 4 backpack slots.
>>
>>31603938
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFx5b5Tpjfc
>>
>>31614841
>not converting your truck to run off ethanol

Besides, they won't look as cool, so fuck you.
>>
>>31616136
Moonshine is just ethanol. With a high enough proof, you can get just about any gasoline powered vehicle to run off it.
>>
>>31603980
Ford 83-94.5 6.9 and 7.3l diesels are all mechanical. Get a stick shift and you can roll start it.

I have an 87 with a reman 7.3, banks turbo with ceramic coating from the manifolds to after the downpipe. I can accelerate up any grade with my trailer, the engine is bone stock otherwise. Runs a lot fucking cooler with the coating too.

The other engine took a fuck ton of abuse and still worked, I just got a deal too good to pass up. The new parts out there make it easy to push higher power levels, I want a cam and bigger pump, and I need to weld up an IC or do w2a if I'm too fucking lazy
>>
>>31604089
There is one for sale nearby, I have wanted one forever but it won't happen. Money isn't the issue
>>
>>31604115
Suburban with the diesel with some work, if you are a bow tie kind of guy is a great rig
>>
File: UserPhoto10272.jpg (187KB, 1154x536px) Image search: [Google]
UserPhoto10272.jpg
187KB, 1154x536px
>>31603938
Before they ruined it with modern electronics.
>>
>>31617623
Then what is? If based Mission BBQ gets them by the truck load why can't you?
>>
>>31615238
an XJ is fine too.
>>
File: 20160903_094427~2.jpg (3MB, 3197x2486px) Image search: [Google]
20160903_094427~2.jpg
3MB, 3197x2486px
>>
>>31614841
...because the 6.0+ liter V8's get within 2mpg of the <4L turbodiesels while having twice the horsepower and 50% more torque?

Face it: Even the 2.0L NA diesel Hilux only gets 23mpg and it weighs literally half of a Chevy 3500 which gets 22-24mpg with its 5.3L gas engine.

Yes, things like the new Dodge ecodiesel have promise with its 28mpg and not-shit torque, but...dodge.
>>
>>31611258
>faggot
>nothing to bring to the table
>you just want to fantasize about SHTF.
>fucking 12 year old underage ban >cocksucker
>>
>>31617819
They didn't ruin it, it was still bad ass.
>>
>>31616157
That's because it suffers all the same problems every other not-truck suffers:
>no weather protection
>no cargo capacity
>no situational awareness because no passengers with nothing else to do
>loud AF
Which is why even the SOF community are getting away from dirt bikes and quads and going to the enclosed-cab 6x6 UTV's.
>>
File: 1289669965287.jpg (72KB, 500x364px) Image search: [Google]
1289669965287.jpg
72KB, 500x364px
ill just leave this here
>>
>>31618422
Wow I've never thought I could destroy a tracked vehicle with just my bare hands, until now.
>>
File: image.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
All right you faggots.
45 mpg 92 Civic VX.
>>
>>31615234
Get a sidekick, the goddamn samurai is far from cheap these days...
>>
>>31615234
Get a sidekick, the goddamn samurai is far from cheap these days...

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/cto/5777643009.html
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>31618708
Tons of space, and the top glass opens up so you can have a tail gunner
>>
>>31607659
>>31608131

how long to charge? how long do batteries last?
range in an emergency? Name one that's viable?
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
Hella space for anything
Honda reliability and ease of maintenance
And you can get one for about $2500
>>
>>31618770
>>31618759
Sidekick looks a lot more mom mobile than I would want. I like how the Samurai looks like a little retarded jeep
>>
>>31603976
>Autism boots
Lel
>>
File: 20160820_201640.jpg (449KB, 1200x675px) Image search: [Google]
20160820_201640.jpg
449KB, 1200x675px
Hello, be of the drivings through scenario of feces, yes.
>>
>>31612418
There are a shit ton of 90s dodges here in MI
>>
>>31608887

>Gas will run out VERY quickly.

yea people tend to forget that. we had the hurricane fly by and within a day every station was empty.
>>
>>31615008
@35psi in the tires (31x10.5 r15) I get 14-15 mpg (3.79l us gallon) combined city/highway. When I run 45psi I do better. This is with a 1997 dodge 318 V8.
>>
File: ford-bronco-.jpg (235KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
ford-bronco-.jpg
235KB, 1280x720px
>>31604386
>TIL
>>
>>31617947
>Chevy 3500 which gets 22-24mpg with its 5.3L gas engine.

Then reality happened
>>
>>31606780
So what you're saying is you got a good one.

The bad ones break all the time.
>>
>>31619749
That is so fucking hot.
>>
File: rusrsnigga.jpg (29KB, 500x244px) Image search: [Google]
rusrsnigga.jpg
29KB, 500x244px
>>31608198
>not cutting your horse open and sheltering yourself in it like a fucking tauntaun
>>
>>31603938

70 series Land Cruiser in my opinion. Only if you're in AU. Anywhere else, mechanical 4x4 diesel.
>>
File: FB_IMG_1476070491487.jpg (79KB, 960x538px) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1476070491487.jpg
79KB, 960x538px
>>31603938
>>>31603938
>
>70 series Land Cruiser in my opinion. Only if you're in AU. Anywhere else, mechanical 4x4 diesel.

Here's mine for reference.
>>
>>31620488
This made me laugh harder than it should have
>>
File: IMG_3821.jpg (1017KB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3821.jpg
1017KB, 3264x2448px
>>31603938
>>
File: Propane powered truck.jpg (164KB, 1024x785px) Image search: [Google]
Propane powered truck.jpg
164KB, 1024x785px
>>31604650
>how long do you think fuel will be available?

There's always propane, which last forever and after that, bio-gas (methane).

But you are correct, nobody considers bicycles for bugging-out, despite them being very well suited for the job.
>>
File: propane-tank.jpg (152KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
propane-tank.jpg
152KB, 500x375px
>>31608887
>Diesel is everywhere. There will be TONS of semi's sitting.

Diesel also "rots" and become unusable.

Propane (and later, bio-gas) is the answer, as it never rots and there are literally millions of 500 gal home propane tanks all over the country.
>>
File: diesel1441426963153.jpg (31KB, 460x250px) Image search: [Google]
diesel1441426963153.jpg
31KB, 460x250px
>>31616136
>The U.S. military is working on a small dirtbike.

It's not very small, it's a full-sized dirt bike.
>>
File: photo.jpg.png (995KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
photo.jpg.png
995KB, 900x900px
>>31622628
>>
>>31607451
>>31607594
Yeah, I actually like the floatplane (or better, amphibian) idea. Anywhere you can go with a car or even a bike is somewhere others can follow, but with a floatplane you can find some little lake in the mountains and be miles from the nearest road. You also wouldn't have to worry about being stopped or attacked on your way out, either.
>>
>>31610255
Until they rust back into the Earth itself, and the newest Scout I/II is old enough to complain about his kids being stupid. Otherwise it's awesome.
>>
>>31615109
I fucking hate XJ, mine was such a piece of shit I had ot flush coolant every month, and I didn't do it at one point and it started to overheat and sprayed coolant all over my engine bay.

Before I started working on it myself, I took it to a shop

>was told needs flush
>they didn't even flush it, they just topped it off, and called it good.
I even fucking remember going to gas station after picking it up and having ass load of coolant underneath my jeep since there was too much pressure in the cooling system. I was livid after that

Then took it to more recommended shop, and replaced the radiator.

That helped for a month then it started over heating, at this point I just flushed it , replaced water pump and the thermostat.

One month alone I spend 400 dollars in coolant system itself.

I sold it to some bastard that has to deal with it now.

Never going to buy another one again. Over hyped huge pieces of shit.
>>
>>31623924
So you bought a tired car with a fucked head gasket, fixed all the symptoms around it, cracked the shits with the make and model and passed it on to someone else just like you?
>>
File: 1462496308344.png (417KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1462496308344.png
417KB, 640x480px
>>31604725
Thats the right idea.
>>
>>
File: 1462488915661.jpg (200KB, 730x472px) Image search: [Google]
1462488915661.jpg
200KB, 730x472px
>>31613801
If its come to it, take old diesel and mix it 50/50 with stabil and seafoam.
>>
File: 1464403812780.jpg (224KB, 1024x765px) Image search: [Google]
1464403812780.jpg
224KB, 1024x765px
>>31617865
Hehe
>>
>>31604059
This
>>
File: 1462487310491.jpg (64KB, 660x432px) Image search: [Google]
1462487310491.jpg
64KB, 660x432px
>>
File: Tank11.jpg (226KB, 1100x798px) Image search: [Google]
Tank11.jpg
226KB, 1100x798px
model-t are unkillable and run on anything you can ignite
>>
File: 1462487489460.png (1MB, 1077x796px) Image search: [Google]
1462487489460.png
1MB, 1077x796px
>>
File: Hilux.jpg (87KB, 1000x729px) Image search: [Google]
Hilux.jpg
87KB, 1000x729px
Toyota Hilux.

/thread
>>
File: 1475713531043.jpg (1MB, 2272x1704px) Image search: [Google]
1475713531043.jpg
1MB, 2272x1704px
>>
File: 1470069097153.jpg (75KB, 650x425px) Image search: [Google]
1470069097153.jpg
75KB, 650x425px
>>
wouldn't your shtf vehice be the one you currently you have at your disposal when the actual shit hits the actual fan?
>>
File: 1462496595616.jpg (51KB, 848x357px) Image search: [Google]
1462496595616.jpg
51KB, 848x357px
>>
File: 1467473105775.jpg (66KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1467473105775.jpg
66KB, 1280x720px
>>
File: 1462553731883.jpg (158KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
1462553731883.jpg
158KB, 960x720px
>>
>>31621818
Jesus fuck, is that a goatse reference? Because it sure as hell looks like one.
>>
File: notsure.jpg (52KB, 604x453px) Image search: [Google]
notsure.jpg
52KB, 604x453px
>>31624913
>>
File: Uteruss.jpg (1MB, 1959x1469px) Image search: [Google]
Uteruss.jpg
1MB, 1959x1469px
>>31624942
Aye, sucks being poor
>>
File: IMG_1509.jpg (41KB, 486x309px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1509.jpg
41KB, 486x309px
>>31618837
>kek
>>
>>31624444
Head gasket was perfectly fine.
When I took it to the second shop with more recommendations, they told me head gasket is fine.

I sold it shady looking nig nogs anyways.
>>
>>31620279
>>31606780
>>31606526
It is a dnepr.
mine hasnt had anything broken and it runs like a dream.
>>
File: ark1.png (1MB, 700x933px) Image search: [Google]
ark1.png
1MB, 700x933px
>>31607233
>no you don't
wow, I didn't know you could read minds!

You DO know this is /k/ right? half the people here have apocalypse countermeasures and a few of those people are crazy enough to have near complete apocalypse protection.

We have a 285GB torrent of weapon related things even to the point of having screenshots of an interesting fellow showing how to make a napalm flamethrower and homemade cluster bombs

If terrorists were even 1/10th as competent as people here then they'd have taken over the world already.

There's a reason why we don't have civil wars in the west (Turkey is practically a middle-eastern country so it doesn't count)
Because we'd win too easily.
Thread posts: 217
Thread images: 68

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.