[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Gun store LGS thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 86
Thread images: 9

File: bass_pro_acquires_cabelas_f.jpg (130KB, 848x477px) Image search: [Google]
bass_pro_acquires_cabelas_f.jpg
130KB, 848x477px
Work edition: how'd you get hired?
Stories and employee experiences, welcome

I just applied to a gun counter position at a Cabelas, never worked retail before, what should I know before I go in and bug the manager to take me?
>>
>>31596499
Don't argue with anyone and maintain a positive attitude.

Or do the opposite and post about it on /k/.
>>
>>31596499
prepare to stand on your feet for 8 hours a day showing dozens of old lower middle class men in light wash jeans and once-white new balance tennis shoes walking up to you like they're embarassed, ask to see something exotic like a glock 45 or colt 45 or .44.

They will then hold it, dry fire it, and try to reassure you that they either already own guns, own better guns, used a gun like that one when they were overseas, or refer to it being a serious piece of hardware.

They will thank you for your time and hand you back the pistol muzzle towards you as they don't have the means to make a purchase even if they wanted to. They will then loiter at the counter and try to shoot the shit with you because as a minimum wage hourly worker you will be the only person in that old man's life that doesn't scoff and ignore their batshit ramblings like their kids do.

You will go home and vent on /k/ with severely embellished or outright made up "fudd stories" to try and cope with the frustration and monotony, but it won't ever stop.

You'll wake up, clock in, constantly bend over to unlock the same case to show the same glock or xdm, spend twenty minutes listening to how someone's neighbor's uncle OC's a desert eagle, and repeat that thirty times until you go home to sleep and do all that shit over again.

The only levity you'll get is a man 5'6" or under bringing his tiny girlfriend/wife to buy her a snub revolver or pink camo buckmark where you will attempt to explain away the fudd tales of women only being able to handle revolvers only to have the manlet grow more and more aggressive of you second guessing his gun expertise and making him not look operator in front of his woman. Again, they will not buy anything and will go home to think about it.

You'll sigh with frustration and grab a sip of water only to be flagged down by a Jeff Daniels look alike wearing a tucked in polo shirt and a hat of the company he's a midlevel worker at.
>>
>>31596827
This desu
>>
>>31596827
To be fair that is all retail jobs.
>>
>>31596827
Nice explanation!
>>
>>31596827
Terrifyingly accurate.

t. ex-Cabela's employee
>>
>>31596827
you forgot the part where a minority calls you racist because they either were denied on their background check, or were denied in store because it was a flagrant straw purchase.
>>
>>31596706
meant more like whats the hiring process to work around firearms, I'm sure its different than my last job working a liquor store counter on an army base

>>31596827
yeah thats about what I expect, and honestly I dont care, I really need a job, and if I get to make money near a bunch of guns i dont have or havent handled before, its a rather big plus.
>>
>>31597793
>the interview was pretty much
"you old enough?"
"dyel?"
"check ID's and ration cards"
the end
>>
File: 1450225273832.gif (4MB, 600x338px) Image search: [Google]
1450225273832.gif
4MB, 600x338px
>>31597829
>ration cards
>>
>>31597860
gas, liquor and cigarettes are still rationed on overseas bases for some reason. I was told the actual reason and forgot, but i think it was pretty much just bureaucratic laziness of they have a system in place, dont fuck with it or something else will break
>>
>>31597793
Wear a tie.

It's Cabela's; when I worked there, I saw people show up for interviews in sweatpants. Put a little effort into your appearance and you're already near the top of the candidate list.

Most people's interview went like this, "MAN I LOVE HUNTIN AND FISHIN I'D BE THE BEST OUTFITTER EVARRR!!!"

Act like a pro, look like a human and don't sperg out and you'll get hired.

Bad news is, the next time payroll edges over a certain point they'll fire you. I was with them for seven years and saw it three times. Hire a shitload of people so every department is fully staffed, freak out about payroll, fire a bunch of people, realize you fired too many people and now customers can get lost, starve to death and die before they find an employee, mass hire, repeat.
>>
>>31596827
>They will then loiter at the counter and try to shoot the shit with you because as a minimum wage hourly worker you will be the only person in that old man's life that doesn't scoff and ignore their batshit ramblings like their kids do.

THIS. HOLY FUCK THIS. Every retailer has to deal with this shit in some form, and holy fuck did I encounter it in the auto world.
>>
>>31597935
thanks
I dont exactly look the part of an outdoorsy huntin dude, I currently do work for a small film production company in the area, but I know a fuck ton about guns and ammo and im tryin to figure out how best to project that

I wonder if the Bass Pro buyout will change that dumb cycle
>>
Ex Cabela’s employee here. Buy a soda at your food kitchen, you get free refills on breaks. Become friends with the bargain cave guy. Get one or two credit card things every once in a while. Fuck that credit card shit. Be ready for tons of rednecks and fudds. Also drop more hints at the customer service girl.
>>
>>31597990
I hope so. It's a drag.

I got out about three years ago, but the staff that still works there is almost totally unrecognizable to me. Maybe a handful of people I know still work there.

Don't worry about proving you know about guns at the interview. Get the basics out of the way and then let the interviewer lead the way. He'll ask you what he wants to know and you fill in the blanks with the correct answers.

The thing is, your interviewer is human. Well, he's partly human. He's actually a retail manager; lord over a tiny, ineffectual fiefdom. The correct answers are the ones he's developed in his head, so the best you can do is give the best answers you can and hope they line up with what he believes.

Good luck and don't forget the tie.
>>
>>31597935
This a thousand times. Motherfuckers got hired all the time and fired. I don't know what kind of dick in the ass managers Cabela’s looks for, but they just randomly fired off people and hired new guys. I saw a shit ton of people lose their jobs, some who have been working there since the store location opened. They got fired and replaced with some dipshits that either quit or got fired.
>>
My lGS has a musketoon. A fat dumbass kept calling it a blunderbuss.

3k for pirate gun.
>>
Can you work like one Saturday a month for like 2 hours to get the vortex and store discounts? My coworker's brother worked at Cabelas and got pretty huge vortex discounts...
>>
>>31596827
Then don't work faggot
>>
Gander Mountain here, lotta that shit about guys coming in, browsing, and leaving is true. And God help you if you tried telling a retired military veteran something contrary to something he learned in the 60s or 70s. But I love my job. Gander has treated my well, managers are laid back and understanding too. Fuck cabelas
>>
>>31598313
I honestly have no clue how gander mountain is still open... I've never seen anyone actually buy anything when I've been in there and the prices are retarded...
>>
>>31598160
Probably controlling shrinkage, you don't want long term retail employees. They realize they're going nowhere and start stealing shit because they feel entitled to more than whatever they're being paid. The longer they stay, the more elaborate the ways they fuck over their employer can get as they learn the systems.

So you fire them and replace them as soon as they feel like they are good enough at their job to deserve a raise. The incompetent dude is cheaper and probably can't actually hurt sales in a meaningful way at a national chain and doesn't know effective ways to steal yet.

It's pretty much standard practice in retail management.
>>
>>31598313
The Gander Mountain near me was the only gunstore for a while. They had overpriced ammo and firearms. I would ask an employee something and they either wouldn't know the answer or they would forget about me and suddenly start helping a different customer.
A LGS opened up 2 min away from them with cheap ammo/firearm prices, the cheapest FFL transfers in the area, knowledgeable employees, and a kickass dog. Never went back to Gander Mountain and never looked back.
>>
>>31598266
They went to a tiered discount a few years ago.

The first couple of years, your discount is shit. Subsequent years make it less shitty. After five years (I think) it stops at only moderately shitty.

Basically cost plus a little on Cabela's branded shit and cost plus anywhere from 10 to 40 percent on other stuff. The promise of super-sweet pro deals on stuff will materialize very sporadically. I got a pro deal price exactly twice in seven years, and I had to sneak around like fucking James Bond to get it done so certain corporate busybodies wouldn't find out.

Your best deals will come using your employee discount on Bargain Cave stuff. People buy shit, use it for a weekend and return it, Cabela's is terrified of getting a bad VOC (Voice Of the Customer) so they'll return anything and it ends up in the Bargain Cave where you can buy it for a song in most cases.
>>
>>31598360
This is so fucking true and also funny because no place i have ever worked has actually realised this, let them stay long enough to hate their job and get crafty, you've got problems.
>>
>>31598457
I wish i could buy things with songs.
>>
>>31596499
retail in general is shit

I worked retail as floor, cashier, stock, and manager. Stock is the best job becuase fuck the customers. Manager is the fucking worst becuase you have to deal with the customers, your subordinates, the store manger and the fucking district managers (who are almost always massive cunts).

sales person isn't too bad, but all I ever sold in that position were TVs and Vaccums, which wasn't too bad becuase most people knew what they already wanted. I spent most of the time just cleaning, setting up displays, and shooting the shit with co workers. I can't imagine dealing with all the mall ninjas and fudds though, I'll probably kill myself first.
>>
Uh
Just how many Cabela's workers are there on this board

Can we have a meetup?

Also camping dept. reporting in
>>
>never worked retail
>still encounter these problems all the time in my line of work

Everything is shit, there is no escape, take the money and just wilt away
>>
Gun bar at Academy reporting in. The political climate has been the worst part. All these posts are true except there's no mention of the guys who come in and ramble about how they hate president Osama and the 4473 is a federal gubment confiscation tool. The worst part is, you can't say anything back. You just laugh or nod your head and say "well this is company policy sir"
There are also some genuinely entertaining encounters with people. I think most crossbow hunters/owners are felons, definitely all blackpowder rifle purchasers are felons.
I did have a good experience today though, old guy came in looking to buy steel shot and we told duck hunting stories for 30 minutes while vast numbers of goobers came in to buy bricks of .22 and steel case pistol ammo.
>>
>>31596827
Holy fuck this was me for 5 years while working the firearms counter at academy except i got to deny Alex Jones from buying guns because he was a shit head.
>>
>>31601006
>academy
>Austin area
>on /k/
Adam?
>>
>>31601078
It was the sunset location in south austin
Nah this was years ago
>>
File: IMG_1882.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1882.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>31598336
Speaking as an outside observer, they seem to be kept afloat by a few really good stores scattered about, while the rest are utter shit.
Like, there's a Gander Mountain down in Toledo that has a good staff, decent gun selection, and the gun prices are competitive with Cabela's if not LGS/online stores. Ammo's a bit overpriced, but meh. But if I go up to the one in Taylor, the staff is shit, the guns are all about 10-25% more than the ones down in Toledo, and the selection is laughable. Hell, I bought an AC43P38 for $500 at the Toledo store but had to have it shipped to the Taylor one to do the transfer. Interestingly, they had a similar, but much more beat up AC44 P38 sitting in the display case up there. They were asking $1500.

It seems like Gander Mountain lives and dies by its store managers.
>>
>>31601126
I buy most of my shotgun ammo there, ever since texguns closed. Nick and Yvonne are solid people.
>>
I work at a Rural King gun counter, and honestly, it'd be fine, if they didn't keep scheduling me to close one night and open the next morning
>>
File: 1458810698159.jpg (155KB, 1076x1162px) Image search: [Google]
1458810698159.jpg
155KB, 1076x1162px
>>31601443
>scheduling me to close one night and open the next morning
Not a gun store worker but ex retail. Also was rarely scheduled that but coworkers always forced me into doing doubles. Thanks for reminding me the pain
>>
It's a retail job, they won't care how much you know about funs if you're autistic and can't hold a normal conversation. Just be yourself :^)

Also isn't BPS buying Cabela's right now? They'll probably be making lots of cuts soon enough.
>>
>>31600967
Welcome to the service economy.
>>
>>31599081
I love the bargain cave. They were selling house brand fly reels - complete with their shitty fly line - for $30/ea. the last time I was there and I also got 10 wooly buggers for $5 and a pair of nice wool hiking socks for $6.
>>
File: 1473866432343.jpg (160KB, 1360x924px) Image search: [Google]
1473866432343.jpg
160KB, 1360x924px
>>31596827
for realz
>>
>>31596499
All of the Cabelas employees comments are irrelevant Bass Pro just absorbed Cabellas and they are soul crushing. Also no discounts to be had.
>>
>>31600995
For whatever reason Academy here always sold 4.6 here... We'd buy it all from the same kid, finally he meekly asked if he could join us because he knew there was only one weapon it was chambered for. We let him, he couldn't stop chuckling while firing.
>>
>tfw Bass Pro doesn't carry anything but Sigs, Glocks, Ruger, and S&W
>>
>>31596499
>what should I know before I go in

At Cabela's, it should take no less than 20 minutes to acknowledge a customer waiting for assistance at the gun counter. Any less than that and you're being too efficient. 30+ minutes is best.

That's all I've got.
>>
>>31597990
Bass Pro will turn the existing Cabela's to shit. At least by me Bass Pro doesn't carry any used guns, surplus guns, gun library, and there ammo section is shit.

RIP Cabela's you may not have been great, but were the best of the big 3 (Cabela's, Bass Pro, Gander Mountain)
>>
File: metal gear.png (292KB, 570x465px) Image search: [Google]
metal gear.png
292KB, 570x465px
>>31603227
this. my first time at bass pro, i waited for 5 minutes to get a ticket and then another 20 to be served. makes me appreciate the mom and pop stores by me
>>
>>31598445

I had a pistol pointed at me at gander mountain

>ask to see glock 21
>employee takes it out the case and hands me the pistol muzzle first
>instinctvely push his arm out of the way
>tell him to not do that
>leave
>call the store later
>complain
>become range buddies with cops
>>
>>31603295
>call the store later
>complain
>become range buddies with cops

did you forget a solid chunk of your absolutely real story?
>>
>>31603308

Become range buddies with cops is a /k/ meme. But other than that it happened. The employee had just started and no one told him basic safe firearm handling skills
>>
>>31600995
4473's are arguably backdoor registration
>>
Here's what really gets me:
Have you guys filled out the form 3310?
There are two versions of it, 3310.4 and 3310.12 that cover purchases of multiple handguns and 'salt rifles.
The general public has little to no knowledge of these forms.
Why haven't they been brought to light? Can you imagine the outrage if the people knew what those forms were used for?
>>
My Gander/Cabelas/etc experience each time:

>go in
>wait 15 minutes at otherwise empty gun case for an employee to wander over
>employee is either 60 or 16
>ask to look at reasonably priced handgun
>"That one's ok, but you should really be looking at this 1911 that's twice as expensive"

Every single fucking time.
>>
Tbh, Academy is running a sweet deal right now. They'll beat any local shops and all major online retailer's prices by 5%. Went yesterday and bought a GLAWK 19 for $515, by price matching local shop's price ($499). Showed them the add online and they beat it by 5%. Pretty nice, senpai.
>>
>>31596827
>They will then hold it, dry fire it, and try to reassure you that they either already own guns, own better guns, used a gun like that one when they were overseas, or refer to it being a serious piece of hardware.

Why do people do this? Every time I walk into a gun store there is some noguns who is ogling the biggest gun possible with no intention of buying it. Just buy a damn gun and stop being noguns.
>>
>>31601653
I know that feel
>t. waiter
>>
>>31604226
I'm that guy
I do it because I want to find specific guns but still like to fingerfuck other cool guns I have no intention of buying
>>
File: bartender.jpg (249KB, 608x442px) Image search: [Google]
bartender.jpg
249KB, 608x442px
>>31596499
Never assume someone's buying potential by the way they are dressed.
I've had more people come in in nice dress shirts that b**** about five or six dollars then you could believe.
And some of the biggest spending customers that can drop thousands at a time come in dressed like homeless bums. I had a couple in their early twenties come in and nobody else wanted to take them because I thought they were just window shoppers and they wound up buying almost $3,000 worth of stuff for me.
Also when you're dealing with customers who are looking to buy but they seem a little iffy on whether or not they want to pull the trigger on a particular item show them something that's an even higher price and then bring them back to the original item telling them how well it compares and it will seem like less of an expense and you'll be more likely to make the sale.

In all honesty always be willing to deal with Mexicans and blacks. If you treat them nicely and with respect you will still get a bunch of ones that are criminals we you can't sell to but you will find the majority of them are exceptionally good customers and are very easy to work with.

Always Shake people's hands and look them directly in the eye and tell them that you're glad to meet them make them feel welcome it will help you out immensely

Always respect female customers if you see a couple, make sure to shake both their hands and say hello to each of them individually as well as a couple
Example" good afternoon sir afternoon ma'am welcome to LGs my name is Derp. Is there anything I can help you two with today?

Picture related this is my body language whenever I'm standing behind the counter. Don't lean don't slouch stand up straight always smile make sure your facial hair and the hair on top of your head is well-kept always look people in the eye shake hands wish them good morning good afternoon and good evening it's always sir or ma'am unless they tell you something else and as always be polite
>>
>>31605138
>In all honesty always be willing to deal with Mexicans and blacks. If you treat them nicely and with respect you will still get a bunch of ones that are criminals we you can't sell to but you will find the majority of them are exceptionally good customers and are very easy to work with.
This is not the case with electronics sales. Mexicans aren't bad, most of the time it's them not being able to speak enough english to understand any explanation, but black people are 80% thieves buying shit on stolen credit cards, or with a new credit card opened with stolen identity.

This was my experience while working at sears years ago at least. The sears system sort of encouraged credit fraud though, so maybe it's not that big an issue at other stores.
>>
>>31604226
to be fair, some people don't buy because they're there to do their homework before they buy.

That's kind of the caveat behind the despair in gun sales. Sure it's annoying when they don't buy, but some aren't going to just take the advice of some minimum wage 19yo who thinks his make believe master's degree in firearms knowledge is all superior.

In reality, most regular citizens aren't going to just toss down half a paycheck willy nilly without at least testing it out.

This is one of those things that actually pissed me off about my fellow coworkers when I was selling, but then again an honorary commission of sale does that to employees.
>>
>>31596827

Woke af
>>
>>31596827
euro LGS here
can confirm
>>
>>31605138
You sound like Aaron from the fun shop that I work at.......are you Aaron?????? We need to go fishing bro. lol
>>
>>31607664
Yeah this aaron.
Let's fuck in the boat. U can lick the ball sweat off my ass hair
>>
>>31607799
Ahh you are not Aaron, rip.
>>
>>31607664
Paul?
>>
>>31598457
Who exactly decides bargain cave prices, then?
The local Cabela's bargain cave prices are often less than 10% off retail. In some cases, especially sales, the bc prices are higher than in the main part of the store.

>Buy a cabela's fishing rod with a broken tip for $5 more than an unmolested one on sale about 30' away.

I think I've found exactly 2 bargains in the cave over the last decade; a blaze orange cabelas hunting vest and a magpul stock.
>>
>>31607664
Nope sorry
>>
>>31603227

I just spent 3 hours at Cabela's to purchase a gun. Had to take a number like I'm at the DMV. Then NICS was down and I couldn't take it home!
>>
>>31606623
>can confirm

Fuck off back to Pleddit
>>
>>31610798
you sure showed him his place there anon...
>>
File: Tom_Lea_-_2000_Yard_Stare.jpg (396KB, 1000x1288px) Image search: [Google]
Tom_Lea_-_2000_Yard_Stare.jpg
396KB, 1000x1288px
>>31596827
my favorite one is when they have to ASK DA WIFE first before they buy.

>tfw worked for three gun shops in three years
OP go to college for a non-useless degree or learn a trade. don't end up a NEET like me. at least i'm not working at wally world, and dont get paid complete shit at the store i work at.
>>
>>31604173
I think that's just their new Price Match policy.

They are having a sweet deal on clearance stuff right now, though - everything on clearance is an extra 25% off. I bought two Aimpoint H-1s from them for $404 before tax each because they were on clearance for $539 each. Guys at the gun bar said nobody ever asked about them because they were "too expensive." Yeah, well now they sure as hell aren't.

I also pointed out that their Blaser 9mm aluminum case stuff is $8.98 and that the .98 indicates a clearance item, making them $6.74/50 rounds. I'll probably go back for more if my gun likes it.
>>
>>3161244
I need a car first m8, but yeah, paying for a machining degree/ program is very much at the top of the list. I want to be a gunsmith, maybe work on movie guns too
>>
>>31613030
>>31612447
>>
>>31596937
AP/LP isn't bad, but it is literally stare at a monitor all day watching ethnicly enlightened folks so they won't steal.
>>
>>31612447
a neet has no job bro
>>
>>31612447
Back when I worked in a shop, I had a guy legitimately call his pastor to ask for guidance on if he should buy a gun. He was by far the most pathetic person I have ever dealt with.
>>
>>31605138
>Always Shake people's hands and look them directly in the eye and tell them that you're glad to meet them

Lol fuck that
>>
The place i worked at got attempted robbed once on my shift

Dude came in with a knife kicks the door open in the most cartoony way he could and screams THIS IS A ROBBERY waving a kitchen knife

There were like 8m between him and me behind the counter

I just asked him if he really was planning to rob a Gun store with a knife, he took like a minute to ponder it over before he polity excused himself and went out the door, never seen him again

Manager was pissed i did not call the cops to report it
>>
>>31613195
THINGS THAT NEVER HAPPENED
>>
>>31596499

I literally sucked the hiring manager dick. No homo.
>>
>>31605138

That's all cool and shit...shaking your hand while you stare me down....dunno if I'd want you to sell me a gun again.
>>
>>31598360
This. I used to work retail, and after 2 years without promotions or a raise, I started stealing food from the freezer section I worked in. Never got caught, and eventually just walked out. You know your job is shit when you abandon your moral code for petty revenge.
Thread posts: 86
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.