[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

BALLISTICS ON MARS

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3

File: mars_bot.png (180KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
mars_bot.png
180KB, 800x600px
Would mars have better or worse ballistics than earth?

The gravity is lower, so things do not fall as fast. But the terminal velocity is also much higher due to the thin atmosphere.
>>
>>31589080
Interesting question. Shouldn't be too hard to graph the parabola with a graphing calculator

Just find the gravitational acceleration of Mars and graph it for X=hang time.

Of course, this wouldn't really account for rocket propelled items such as missiles and the like

As for bullets, I assume they would go further, however I'm not sure how that effect that makes bullets go up and down would be effected by the lower atmosphere
>>
>>31589119
>affected
>>
Mas (3.8 m/s2)
Earth (9.8 m/s2)

Assuming you are only shooting 2 meters off the ground. I would think, regardless of the thickness of the atmosphere, it's going to take a lot longer for a bullet to fall to the ground on Mars than on earth. Maybe 60% more air time, which gets the projectile 60% further.
>>
>>31589080
Probably better because gravity and air will have less pronounced effect on the projectile.
>>
>>31589080
Waiting for some faggot to say that guns can't be fired on Mars (or in space for that matter) because there isn't that much oxygen.
>>
>>31589323
guess you couldn't wait any longer since nobody said that
>>
>>31589080

None. You can't fire a gun in space retard, there's no oxygen.
>>
Is the Coriolis Effect going to be significantly different?
>>
>>31589353
We've been over this, the fuel is the gunpowder. You don't need oxygen.

Maybe due to the air pressure, the gas system could get fucked up in your blaster. I'm no rocket scientist, though.
>>
>>31589080
>gravity lower
>flatter trajectory
>less air = less air resistance
>no humidity/wind

It would be great
>>
>>31589361
You should have said that the powder is self-oxidizing. You always need oxygen
>>
>>31589361
>the gas system could get fucked up in your blaster.

It won't. Same amount of gas flow at same speed coming from the propellant charge.
>>
>>31589080
>terminal velocity

You're not using that right
>>
>>31589356
Kinda. Mars day is about 40 minutes longer. Circumference is about half of the Earth. Surface speed of rotation at equator for Mars is 868 km/h and 1670 km/h for Earth. So at corresponding coordinates, coriolis effect on Mars is about half of what it is on Earth.
>>
https://www.quora.com/Could-you-fire-a-rifle-on-Mars-How-far-would-the-bullet-go
>>
Who's protecting our gun rights on other planets?

Seems like an easy grab for the gun grabbers.
>>
>>31589372
>no wind
Doesn't mars have huge sandstorms all the time?
>>31589353
Mars isn't space, and there's no oxygen in a bullet casing on earth anyway.
>>
>>31589761
They only have 1% atmosphere, so very very little wind

Also
>no oxygen in a bullet casing on earth

They're not vacuum sealed, of course there's oxygen in there
>>
File: afebcc3f9-1.jpg (15KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
afebcc3f9-1.jpg
15KB, 640x360px
>>31589323
Guns can`t be fired in Mars because there`s no oxygen.
There.

Pic related, bunker in Mars
>>
File: gun-on-mars.jpg (52KB, 385x223px)
gun-on-mars.jpg
52KB, 385x223px
Ayylmaos have mobile artillery.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.