[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is there a difference between high explosive and incendiary rounds?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 5

File: HE vs I.jpg (118KB, 1067x670px) Image search: [Google]
HE vs I.jpg
118KB, 1067x670px
Is there a difference between high explosive and incendiary rounds?
>>
yes, incendiary rounds burn and high explosive rounds explode
>>
>>31581612
When I googled it, I read that incendiary rounds are most effective when armor piercing so that they explode inside the target. And that incendiary rounds were made with gun-cotton charges, which is the same used in high explosive. WW1 had phosphorous rounds, which were effective as tracers and zeppelin killers, but that doesn't appear to be the modern standard.
>>
File: IMG_0614.jpg (55KB, 460x459px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0614.jpg
55KB, 460x459px
>>31581683
Is the new battlefield out now
>>
>>31581612
When something explodes, it burns.

So when a HE round explodes, it burns and when an incendiary round burns, it burns.
>>
>>31581594
Yes but most of the HEI ones that are sold on the civilian market just have more incinerary compound in them. There is a guy that custom makes HEI rounds for people but he charges 20$ a round. He's pretty deep in the google results too so he's hard to find and I can't remember his website right now. He also only does certain calibers, but it's a decent selection.
>>
>>31581813
I ask *because* I am ignorant, and seek a better understanding. How does highlighting my ignorance make you clever?

>>31581857
So HE==HEI, but Incendiary only burns, not explodes?
>>
>>31581994
The incendiary compound is used to ignite the more powerful HE compound in the HEI round. the incendiary compound is technically a HE compound but it's not the one that the HE in HEI refers too.
>>
>>31582036
Ok, so just to clarify on a tactical level.

Are incendiary rounds actually going to set the target on fire? Or would that only work if the target was fuel or otherwise extremely flammable already?

Likewise, would a HE round also ignite targets?

Given the pairing with AP, HE seems to work best when it explodes inside its target. Is that also true of incendiary? Or would incendiary just smolder internally and cauterize itself?
>>
>>31582270
I believe its for aiding in penetration and igniting fuel but I could be wrong I don't know too much about the military application I mostly looked that information up because I wanted to garbage pick thrown out furniture and shoot it with HEI ammo.
>>
>>31582270
Also, the russians and german snipers used HEI ammo on the western front on infantry. There were some cool tests runs on the ammo in ballistic blocks. I think it's on full30 or what ever that gun video website is called.
>>
>>31582270
They can. When dealing with bullets, incendiary are used for if you're going to shoot something that's not going to take being lit on fire well. Fuel. Brush. Dry wood. Contrary to video game and movie logic, normal bullets aren't very good at making things catch fire or explode.

However, there's larger rounds that are called incendiary but behave differently. There's a 40mm incendiary grenade for the 203 that is basically a fire grenade. Instead of using fragmentation and overpressure as it's casualty producing mechanism, it fires off a bunch of aerosol'd fuel and then ignites it like an air-fuel bomb. These are pretty much the best thing imaginable for clearing out a room.
>>
>>31581994
And then you have HEI-T which does all of those AND leaves a tracer.
>>
File: frontline3.jpg (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
frontline3.jpg
1MB, 1920x1080px
>>31582270
Furthermore, HE and HEI rounds are not in common use for kinetic weapons like rifles and cannons under 20mm. The payload just isn't viable with the smaller rounds.

Tracer rounds are a form of Incendiary and there was a bit of a legal shitfit because of the special rules surrounding incendiary weapons, but I believe because the incendiary properties were eventually found to be not a problem because the burning properties were secondary to the practical purpose of the rounds (Targeting and bullet-ing).

HE can cause fires and ignite flammables, but it's not especially prevalent (see image, that's from a MBT HE round). The overpressure is what does all the damage. There's a lot of heat and energy release, but it's not like the movies where there's this huge fireball. Things will catch fire if they're prone to catching fire, but it's probably about as much of a fire risk as regular fireworks. Similarly, in the small-arms range, the most commonly used 203 HESH rounds are pretty underwhelming looking when they hit things. Just a big puff of dirt and durst.
>>
File: IYAAYAS.png (375KB, 736x736px) Image search: [Google]
IYAAYAS.png
375KB, 736x736px
Ammo troop here.

In our field the term "high explosives" refer to Hazard Class/Division 1.1 munitions, such as assembled bombs, missiles, C-4/Composition B, chaff and flare.

Ammunition whether incendiary or regular is HC/D 1.4. Considered far less dangerous.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.