[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

i was thinking >why don't they use other kinds of propellents

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

File: mag-clip_cartoon.gif (21KB, 345x138px) Image search: [Google]
mag-clip_cartoon.gif
21KB, 345x138px
i was thinking

>why don't they use other kinds of propellents then gunpowder on boolets, propellents that is more powerfull and ligther
>why not use non metalic lighter bootet casings aswell
>>
>>31580977
Because the system has been going on so long that transitioning from brass and gunpowder to other shit would be extremely costly and likely wouldn't happen for decades if at all because the brass and gunpowder manufacturers would heavily bitch and try to stop it at every turn.
>>
Firearms turning into grenades is not a step forward anon.
>>
>>31580977
it has been done OP, back at the end of the cold war NATO was working on caseless ammo using a different form of propellant :see kraut space magic. it did not work well because the brass case acts as a heat sink. plastic cases have also been tried and although functional never caught on due to lack of reloadability.
>>
>>31580977
>we should make this better by doing this theoretical thing
Good, you go figure out which materials, designs and manufacturing methods will make this happen.

>>31581229
>it did not work well because the brass case acts as a heat sink
That wasn't even the biggest problem, fuck, they solved that by changing the compound, no more cook-offs.

You had to contend with the ammo being brittle and sensitive to moisture, having a short shelf-life, difficulty clearing malfunctions, as well as the guns being complex (at least in the case of the G11), then there's the requirement of a lasting battery.
>>
>>31581643
The most important thing a cartridge does and the reason the G11 has to be complex is sealing the chamber. Bad things happen when gasses have anywhere to go but down the barrel.
>>
>>31581676
>Bad things happen when gasses have anywhere to go but down the barrel.
That's a concern with literally every gun ever made, really.
>>
File: 51653627.gif (1MB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
51653627.gif
1MB, 480x270px
>>31581002
>>31581643
Pretty much.

We have developed gunpowder and brass-casing to the point that any implementation of new materials or technologies would only make a marginal difference.

Next step is wait until energy and battery technology takes a giant leap that allows wireless transfer of energy to batteries and we can have 'metal-storm' technology based hand-held weapons.

After that its time for gauss-weapons unless cult mechanicus is formed and lasgun is invented.
>>
>>31581704
Yes, and metalic cases expand and form a partial gas seal when they're fired, which makes this concern a lot easier to deal with.
>>
>>31581801
there is already a wireless battery system tho?

it really old technology nikola tesla came up with it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JD2c4otbO4
>>
>>31581921
Not really wireless if the objects have to touch
>>
File: GandA-Article-Jul-20151.png (714KB, 960x1297px) Image search: [Google]
GandA-Article-Jul-20151.png
714KB, 960x1297px
>>31580977
http://www.polycaseammo.com

Not different propellent however the company started with the idea of making non reloadable plastic cases. The idea was to prevent sand people from taking the spent casings and reloading them. Currently they offer injection moulded metal-polymer bullets. Interesting idea, dunno how much traction it will get. I saw some in my LGS, almost bought it for the novelty of plastic self defense rounds.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.