[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Buy or Build?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: wm_8236949.jpg (152KB, 2046x864px) Image search: [Google]
wm_8236949.jpg
152KB, 2046x864px
Getting my first, and probably last for a while, AR. I can spend up to $2,000 for rifle and accoutrements, but would like to keep it around $1500.

My general ethos in life is that I don't buy cheap shit. I like quality and dependability and will pay more for it or won't buy anything at all.

That being said, is it possible to build decent quality for far cheaper than a full rifle or do you reach a certain price point for good parts that it makes sense to buy a full system.

Basically, why shouldn't I buy a DDM4V5 which I understand to be a high-quality rifle? Are there build lists for a quality gun so I don't have to spend a year researching shit online? Thanks!
>>
building is better than buying a prebuilt, like computers, sure you can be paying for the convenience of prebuilt ready to use, but you'd get more bang for the buck out of building it yourself, plus, you'd have more of a connection with it if its your first ar that you've got and built
>>
Build; better quality for less money

And don't buy Stag.
>>
>>31578971
>>31579000
I have paternity leave coming up so will have time to sit at the computer and order shit, but it's hard to figure out where to begin. I've started the research a dozen times spending hours and I'm still unsure. Ready to give up and buy. You ask for advice on the best lower or BCG and you get a million answers.
>>
>>31579045
Visit one of the daily AR threads and ask for the pic of manufacturers brands by tier or something similar, someones bound to have a picture
>>
Related question, what's a good cheap parts kit I can put together without many tools? I've thought of getting an 80% ar lower but I'm more interested in historical firearms. Any recommendations?
>>
>>31579045
Lower: pick your favorite looking rollmark from a list of mil-spec forged lower manufacturers. All AR15 lowers are made by one of four different forges in the country, they're just finished in house and have very slight differences in fit and tolerances between them,

Upper: anything in the PSA Premium line.

It's not hard to build an upper, but you'll need some additional tools and have to factor in the cost of those if you don't own them (decent torque wrench, AR15 armorer's tool)

BCG: anything mil-spec, again PSA is a sensible option for a standard mil-spec bcg at not a lot of shekels.

Furniture doesn't matter, you're going to eventually buy a lot of different grips and stocks trying to find one you like best.
>>
>>31578934

OP, if it's your first, then it's okay to buy prebuilt. If you are a hands-on type of person, then you can take a chance and learn how to build as well, but expect to run into small or big issues that you may need to problem solve.

4 routes you can take here: 1) Get a basic factory AR that you can use to learn to upgrade. 2) Get a free floated AR. 3) Build lower, get complete upper. 4) build from scratch

1) Basic bitch AR: I recommend a Colt 6920, OEM 1 or 2 if you want to upgrade right away. If not just get normal version. Best bang for buck for a solid AR for about under $1k. Keep in mind it's not free floated, so it can affect accuracy once the barrel gets hot and you put pressure on it.

2) Factory Complete with Rail. DD rifles are good. Consider getting MLOK or Keymod because quad rails are heavier. You'll only use ~30% of the rail anyway.

3) Buy complete lower of choice, or build your own. Then buy a BCM upper with KMR rail.

4) Invest in tools you'll probably use again and build from scratch. PSA if you want good but inexpensive. Aero is good too. Remember, a lower is a lower, unless you want gucci shit. Use your money on good barrel, BCG and a strong rail.
>>
>>31579000
>And don't buy Stag.
Why, out of curiosity?
>>
>>31579586
Might get an unregistered machine gun lower
>>
>>31579586

Probably due to QC or CS issues, like most don't by X company.
>>
>>31579602

sounds like a feature
>>
>>31579045
Well then to help out, I guess we can tell you which parts aren't *super* important/unique to help you save time.

All forged lowers are practically the same, so buy the cheapest one. Avoid polymer unless you know you want one for a special purpose build.

Pistol grips and stocks are really personal preference. There's nothing wrong with milspec stuff, but magpul makes comfy stuff for not that much.

Lower parts kits are too easy, just grab a PSA LPK to save some time and money. Id get one with the milspec trigger group, since I know for a fact you'll upgrade it to something else you like better you find down the road if you're not super experienced already.

That covers the lower mostly, then from there you can find a full upper to throw on. As that other anon said, if you plan on building the whole thing you're gonna want to put your cash towards the handguard, barrel, and BCG.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.