[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do I need a .308 "Battle Rifle"?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 6

File: FAL.jpg (11KB, 447x181px) Image search: [Google]
FAL.jpg
11KB, 447x181px
Serious question - I'm set on handguns, shotguns, ARs, and AKs.

I figure the AKs are 300 and under, the ARs can do 300-600 easily, and I also have a very accurate 308 set up for medium-long range (600+).

So - what does the 308 offer for 300m and under that the x39 does not?

Yes, I understand more penetration, more power, but at shorter distances, do the advantages outweigh the disadvantages?

For some reason, I'm not really sold on an intermediate-range .308.

I like the idea, I like the FAL, the G3, AR-10s, etc - just not sure that one would really fit in as a legitimate need, rather than just a want.

tl;dr: Does a .308 "battle rifle" really make sense at shorter/intermediate ranges (beyond just the 'cool factor, and/or 'because I want one')'?
>>
>>31569789
Check your budget. Do you have an extra 2k for gun and glass? If so it is an attainable want that could be fun and may give your ar a challenge for intermediate (better terminal and all). If it does not fit into your budget it can become an expensive safe queen that you resent
>>
>>31569880
Yeah, I have the budget, just trying to justify it as going beyond just another 'Yeah, that would be cool to have", and ending up, as you said, a safe queen since everything it does, I already have a firearm that does it better.

Don't know that I would even put anything beyond an Aimpoint on it, so most of the 2k...ish would be spent on the rifle itself.

For 600+, I already have a decent AR-10 setup, so I wouldn't go too extreme on accessories for this one, so it's definitely doable, just wanting to be able to convince myself that I would actually use it for something other than collecting dust in the safe. : )
>>
>>31569931
If you already have a good ar 10 I would say dont worry about a new 308 unless you do something like a vepr just for fun. Now if you want there are 30-06 300 win mag and other silly ar builds but seriously bro I would lean more towards ammo, handloading equipment, night/thermal, and hidden bunker with supplies before going with another safe queen. Keep in mind I do not know what else you have/want/can legally acquire
>>
Do SpecOP Units worldwide use a 5.56 more?
>>
>>31569789
>N...NEED?
>>
File: 1464196053613.png (126KB, 399x388px) Image search: [Google]
1464196053613.png
126KB, 399x388px
>>31572722
SHALL
>>
File: mate buddy the shootening.jpg (448KB, 886x590px) Image search: [Google]
mate buddy the shootening.jpg
448KB, 886x590px
>>31572753
NOT
>>
>>31569789
If you're an AR/AK guy, avoid semi-auto .308s. You will always put more money towards 5.56/x39 and because of the price difference.

If you want a .308, get a quality bolt action and glass, In my opinion I get better quality practice and use less ammo with my bolt actions rather than my semis.
>>
>>31573070
MASTURBATION
>>
>>31573210
i agree with this statement and own a ruger GSR

in retrospect i should have pitched out for something better but i still like it
>>
>>31573210
Price isn't really an issue. At all.

I shoot my AR-10 as often as I like, without consideration of ammo pricing.

Already have a quality long range .308. If I get a new .308 for mid-range, it likely will have nothing more than an Aimpoint or similar.

I shoot only match grade ammo in the AR-10, so I shoot it abiut the same rate as I would a nice bolt.

The one currently in consideration would be a shorter barrel, most likely an 18 or 20 inch, and feeding it wouldn't really be a concern, as I am currently well-stocked on .308, both match and plinking.
>>
File: 450px-Strike_Back_S04E01_059.jpg (46KB, 450x253px) Image search: [Google]
450px-Strike_Back_S04E01_059.jpg
46KB, 450x253px
>>31573070
BE
>>
>>31569789
>tl;dr: Does a .308 "battle rifle" really make sense at shorter/intermediate ranges (beyond just the 'cool factor, and/or 'because I want one')'?
No
They can be fun but 5.56/7.62x39 is way more practical for <300m.
>>
File: trump is anime reaction.png (194KB, 582x291px) Image search: [Google]
trump is anime reaction.png
194KB, 582x291px
>Do I need a .308 "Battle Rifle"?
Fuck no. Nothing you "need" to do "needs" a .308 battle rifle. You know it, I know it, and everyone on this board knows it.

Which makes this thread extra pointless. If only buy things you "need," and you sure as shit don't "need" a .308 battle rifle, then the answer is "no," and you're an idiot.

Good thing "need" has jack shit to do with whether you can buy a .308 battle rifle. The relevant questions are
>Do I want one?
>Can I afford it?

"Do I want one" is all on you. If you don't know the answer, the answer is "no," and you're an idiot.

"Can I afford it" should be considered not merely in terms of cash flow, but also opportunity cost -- what other toys, or even necessities, could I buy instead with this money?

Memorize this post, because you can replace ".308 battle rifle" with damn near anything, and still get your horse ass led to the waters of correct decision making. And drink deeply, my friend, because not even horses need the Internet to tell them what they need.

Pic related -- it's a horse.
>>
File: htrehrthytfjgh.jpg (47KB, 830x564px) Image search: [Google]
htrehrthytfjgh.jpg
47KB, 830x564px
>>31569789

>NEED

Motherfucker as long as you have one battle rifle, know how to use it, and are in good physical condition you have all you NEED right there.

What are you going to start a small war in South America? Look at yourself as a single light infantryman.

The only reason you'd ever NEED additional firearms is to supply people you trust during the happening. Aka, your neighbors, friends, family, etc, etc who may not currently be armed.

TL;DR Need? No. Want? Fuck yes.
>>
>>31569789
>need
fuck off
>>
>>31569789
>rather than just a want.

who gives a fuck if it has a purpose
wants are an entirely valid reason to own something you faggot
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.