[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do you have to register a 80% lower for an AR-15?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 7

File: IMAG0052.jpg (40KB, 800x479px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0052.jpg
40KB, 800x479px
Everything I am reading says that no, you don't have to register and it can get delivered to your door without going through an FFL or anything, but my father-in-law, who is pretty knowledgable about guns, says that it does need to be registered and purchased through an FFL no matter how incomplete the lower is.

Is he right?
>>
>registering guns
>ever
>much less an 80%
What sort of retard nanny state do you live in?
>>
>>31566922
afaik he's wrong in every way. when you manufacture though you probably want to put a serial number on it. "1" will do.
>>
>register guns

Not in a free state
>>
>>31566928
im not registering my car anymore either, fuck you obama
>>
>>31566980
>Equating guns to cars

Hello stupid
>>
File: image_11.jpg (111KB, 500x667px) Image search: [Google]
image_11.jpg
111KB, 500x667px
>>31566928
>mfw Nevada ended gun registration July of 2015 amd was ordered to destroy all records within a year
My blue cards are just momentos now
>>
File: IMG_2327.jpg (75KB, 480x481px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2327.jpg
75KB, 480x481px
>>31566922
https://www.atf.gov/qa-category/receiver-blanks

He wrong.
>>
>>31567035
>>31566968

Welp, good! Any good sales you guys know of?
>>
Better question: Will an 80% lower go with any upper kit as long as they are both designed for 5.56 rounds? Like, if I buy a lower from one site, can I buy an upper kit from another without any problems?
>>
>>31567150
It doesn't even have to be 5.56. Lowers are caliber agnostic. A standard AR-15 lower can handle anything from 5.45x39 to .50 Beowulf, and even weirder shit like the AR57 upper that feeds from P90 mags or the side loading .50BMG uppers.
>>
>>31567150
Yes

You can get any upper designed for a standard ar15 lower. Doesn't need to be 556
>>
>>31566980
You don't have to register your car if you don't plan on using public roadways.
>>
>>31566922
your father-in-law is retarded about the subject and his opinion should be discarded

>>31567150
no, the attachments aren't universal and the benefit of being able to mix and match parts to create your custom AR never existed
/sarcasm
>>
I live in commie Connecticut, can confirm I bought one for a nice paper weight on my desk. No you do not need a ffl or anything to receive the paper weight. HOWEVER if you live in a not free state, that bans ARs, if you mill it out, it becomes illegal. So do not mill out your paper weight!! It's for paper only!!!!!!!!

Now if you live in a free state you can mill it out and your fine, last time I checked the Feds only ask you put a serial number on it so you can tell them, if it gets lost or something. But I don't believe it's required. Just recommended.

And it does matter how incomplete the lower is. If you buy it from a reputable company they will have their letter from the Feds saying their lower is not a firearm. It's very specific. They usually list out the parts milled and not milled on it. 80% is just a term it doesn't mean literly 80% milled. But again if you go to a reputable site they should show their letter from the government saying their specific cuts or the lowers are not firearms and do not require an ffl.

Again, if you live somewhere that has state specific AR laws your probably breaking the law IF you mill it. It is not illegal to buy a lower and jig though. But if you turn it into a completed AR lower, in a place that has AR banned. Your against the law.
>>
>>31567150
Ar15 receivers are supposed to be universally compatable, that being said there may be slight fitment issues depending on who your parts are made by as manufacturers occasionally use different tolerance when machining components.
>>
>>31566922
No. You only have to put some form of serial number on the gun if you intend to sell it.
>>
>>31567184
>HOWEVER if you live in a not free state, that bans ARs, if you mill it out, it becomes illegal.
Unless the state cops go door to door searching people's houses you're fine. Fucking connecticucks.
>>
>>31567216
If you live in a police state like California enjoy never being able to shoot your ar15 after milling it out.
>>
>>31567216
Yeah pretty much. Just keep all that in mind. I hate it here. Save me. It is now illegal to carry a baton in your car. (IE. Probably any blunt weapon they deem)

I should also note some states are considering a ban on 80%s. So I'd check your specific state OP.

Also don't fall for the meme that "no one can ask for your paperwork if you go to a range, and you don't have to show them". You'll get stopped by some atf agent and you'll be fucked. The only way you'll be able to shoot it is if you have a ton of land. And even then your breaking the law.
>>
>>31567256
Why the fuck would an ATF agent care about state laws?
>>
File: thisShit.jpg (29KB, 456x304px) Image search: [Google]
thisShit.jpg
29KB, 456x304px
>>31566922
>register
>>
>>31566968
>not using serial number 14/88 on all of your firearms
>>
So unless I do some serious deal searching, I am probably looking at around $550-600 for the entire AR-15 with iron sights and 1-2 magazines? That sounds about right? I mean that's still way cheaper than most pre-built options out there, so it's looking like a good deal unless I royall fuck up building it.
>>
>>31567106
Serial numbers aren't required for a lower you intend to manufacture for yourself and never intend to transfer.
>>
>>31568005
And then you can always etch "S/N N1663R" on to the side if you sell it later.
>>
>>31567981
550-600 is about the same as you'd be paying for an S&W M&P Sport, which is a good AR in its own right. You'll probably have a better rail/stock with your custom-built one, but you'll want a better trigger than the PSA ones.
>>
>>31568005
Also not necessarily true. You can sell an unserialized gun if it's a home made gun. You cannot manufacture with the INTENT to sell and not serialize.

Make a gun from an 80%, keep it for a while, decide to sell: all gravy baby.

Make several guns from 80%, sell for profit, continue cycle: say hi to bubba and his cock meat sammich
>>
>>31568113
>Also not necessarily true
If you don't intend to transfer, then you're good. What part of that isn't necessarily true?
>>
>>31568077
Where are you finding this? Cheapest I can find is a used one for like $619. That doesn't include shipping and FFL fees.
>>
>>31568169
Not him but the post implies you need a sn to sell which is wrong.
>>
>>31568280
The election has been driving prices up I think.
>>
>>31568296
It states entirely that if you manufacture it without intent to transfer, it's fine. And then claimed it was wrong, while repeating exactly that.
>>
>>31566922
What state?

According Moonbeam here in Cali we're gonna have to register our 80% lowers when the new laws hit, and they ARE gonna hit.

So you have a choice, cuck yourself and put serial numbers on it and register it or shut the fuck up about and not comply
>>
>>31566922
no you do not have to register an 80% your father in law is an idiot
>>
>>31567240
This, my dumbass milled one out while I was active duty and now that I'm out and back in LA, I can't take it shooting anywhere because I'm worried about blue falcons. I haven't shot the thing yet yet

Might go visit my folks in the central valley, maybe they know someone with property who likes to go shooting....
>>
>>31568887
Buy a grip wrap
>>
Alright, bought a PSA freedom kit, now I am on the search for a good polymer lower. Found some decent ones but need the perfect one and I am set!
>>
>>31567675
>being a stormfag
I think you missed /pol/, newfriend.
>>
>>31568887
Just go out to the desert or other blm land. I do it all the time
>>
>>31567165
More info on these uppers please. Where could one get these
>>
>>31569268
>now I am on the search for a good polymer lower
...and your search will never end.

There is no good reason to ever get a plastic lower.
>>
>>31570185
>implying 14/88 isn't the spiciest meme of them all

Get a load of this redditard!
>>
File: 2.jpg (814KB, 1296x1728px) Image search: [Google]
2.jpg
814KB, 1296x1728px
>>31566922
nope
>>
>>31571143
Ten seconds in Google.
>>
File: FB1071651300.jpg (51KB, 540x960px) Image search: [Google]
FB1071651300.jpg
51KB, 540x960px
>>31568441
>>
>>31566922
>80%

how are you going to "register" it with no serial number?

who the fuck are you going to "register" your block of aluminum (that is not a firearm with)?

"pretty knowledgeable* ", anon......ive meet a lot of people who i was told were "knowledgeable" and they always turn out to be fuds or they know about the guns they have and thats it.
>>
>>31568887
Take it to an outdoor range. All the ones in the OC area, you get your own bay where its just you
>>
File: where guiness comes from.webm (2MB, 720x405px) Image search: [Google]
where guiness comes from.webm
2MB, 720x405px
>>31567003
Vegas Bro here. It was only pistols that needed registration and only in Clark County. Based Brian Sandoval got rid of it though.
Thread posts: 49
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.