[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

any archers here? looking to get into the sport. interested in

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: legolas.gif (2MB, 400x201px) Image search: [Google]
legolas.gif
2MB, 400x201px
any archers here? looking to get into the sport.
interested in target archery, field archery and 3d archery.
Recurve or compound, either is fine.

Should I pay for archery lessons? all the ones in my area seem to be for little kids
should i just go ahead buy a bow thats properly sized and fitted.

the gun range im currently a member of has a small archery range apart of it, i could use that.
>>
Archery is for fags
>>
>>31563180
wow, you just convinced me to drop all interest. i'll go back to fapping to traps now
>>
>>31563209
You're welcome.
>>
>>31563142

don't go to archery lessons meant for little kids, almost every instructor knows nothing about proper archery and won't be able to help you. look up NuSensei, despite the cringy channel name he's very helpful.

check your dominant eye before buying a bow, I'm right handed and left eye dominant with my right eye being barely able to see past 10 yards, so I need to shoot with a left handed bow to use my left eye.
>>
>>31563142
Archer of 20 years here.

I have owned multiple bows, take downs, full size, compound, recurves but i always, always find myself coming back to the english longbow... its the one its not the one i get most asked about but out of all the bows i have had people shoot. That bow is the one that makes them want to get into archery....

Its not that it serves the purpose better then other bows; because honestly it gets beat in most categories. But oh my god it is by far the funnest bow to shoot. Nothing is better then hand off the knunkle and cracking a bulls eye at 300 ft to make you feel like a badass.. nevermind all those bells and whistle and counterweights new age bows have.. being able to do that with string and a stick is a hole new level of "holy fuck thats awesome"

Get a traditional you wont regret it

> Invest time, lots of it... say after 500 arrows you will start to find a grouping
> Remember your body position on EVERY shot
>Always try and shoot in the same position every time, its how you aim. make small tweaks here and there
>Good posture
>Dont pay for lessions, maybe just 1 for the basics but only time and practice will make you good
>70'' long , 28 - 30 draw and shoot for around 45 - 55 lbs if your gonna target shoot, good range, wont hurt after hours of shooting

http://www.thelongbowshop.com/
>>
>>31563894

To add to this, back tension back tension back tension. Put your body in alignment.

Also this is a bit more advanced but making bows is fun too.
>>
>>31563932
Sooooo.... the thing you see the professional reeanactors do on the History Channel or whatever when the bend over, straighten their back, then straighten their body and... whacko?

Bonus query: So the old piece of yew (at reduced poundage) is actually more user-friendly for beginners? More fun, intuitive, etc.?
>>
>>31563932
>Also this is a bit more advanced but making bows is fun too.
ok. I need to do this shit. How? Where can i go to learn the basics? About how much is the overall cost of making a bow? Generally speaking, would the quality be worth it? (assuming i'm already decent at woodworking)
>>
>>31563894
How do you like recurve bows? There's something about them that I love. I really want to get in to archery just for them.
>>
>>31564693

Back tension is when your drawing hand's shoulder is in line with the bow, that means tucking it back, sort of like puffing your chest out. An old way of expressing it is to imagine someone pushing your shoulderblades together, or the way I heard it which I think is more accurate, someone pushing your drawing arm's elbow back.

It's one of the most important things for accurate shooting, IMO.

Depends on the person, the person I responded to prefers traditional, as do I, but I prefer native american traditional style bows. I'd say try and find an archery club near you and ask if you can shoot a couple different types.

>>31564727

The bower's bible series of books, pick it up. The basics can either be learned online, or you can do it better and not be a total shutin like I did and contact local bowyers. Look up bowyers forums and ask around about people in your state and learn from them. The overall cost of making a bow depends on whether or not you have the tools, what finish you want, if you can cut staves yourself, and what bowstring you want.

You can make a bow out of a red oak board from home depot if you look online on how to select them, a spool of b-50 dacron or b-55 will cost $8-$12, and a bucket of polyurethane, assuming you don't want something fancy for the finish, will run $10-$20. So like $32, and the string'll last you 10-20 bows, the polyurethane'll last you forever.

I cut my own lumber and split staves, so I don't need to worry about that.
>>
page 10 bump
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.