[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Army chooses FN Five-SeveN as new service pistol.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 3

File: gallery-1464726508-fn5701.jpg (306KB, 1600x1086px) Image search: [Google]
gallery-1464726508-fn5701.jpg
306KB, 1600x1086px
So then, do you become a 5.7mm fan overnight? Do you rush to get a Five-seveN pistol?

It's obvious why 5.7mm is a great cartridge, in fact it was literally purposefully designed to outmatch 9mm, and in fact NATO WANTED to replace 9mm with 5.7 but were stonewalled by Germany due to being assmad over HK loosing with their offering.

So of the Army chooses 5.7mm as their new service caliber, is /k/ going to reverse their years and years of "meme caliber" shitposting and get on board with the best handgun cartridge ever designed?
>>
no, because the only benefit to the round will be banned for use by civilians which only the military/leo will have access to right?
>>
>>31561345
Well 5.7 mostly gets shit on due to civilians not being able to get the "amour piercing" ammunition
>>
>>31561373
Just buy those fancy Phillips head copper bullets.
>>
I've always wanted one, I think it's one of the sexier pistols, but could never justify spending the bones for one. if I had a lot of money to throw away I would get one for sure, I bet they're fun to shoot
>>
Friend had an intruder shot him 7 times. Dude walked outside and sat on the curb till ambulance arrived.
>>
>>31561418

I know, that's why NATO was looking to replace 9mm, it's just so weak.
>>
>>31561475
Maybe if they started using EFMJs instead of FMJs that just zip thru soft targets it wouldn't be seen as so weak.
Seriously, did we even sign the treaty to not use "fragmenting and expanding" ammo?
>>
>>31561370
>>31561373

Civvies can get AP ammo. I can't recall the technicalities, but the reason AP ammo is hard to come by is because FN refuses to sell it to distributors other than LEO and military.
>>
>>31561498

There's a company that manufactures and sells AP 5.7mm to the public that doesn't fit the ATF definition of AP, but is still literally AP capable ammo. It's just expensive.
>>
shot it once and it was fun, but I couldn't justify the purchase. maybe if the ammo price goes down to <30 cents a round and the price of the actual gun goes down a few hundred.
>>
>>31561345
>So of the Army chooses 5.7mm as their new service caliber, is /k/ going to reverse their years and years of "meme caliber" shitposting and get on board with the best handgun cartridge ever designed?
It gets called a meme cartridge because it occupies a strange place.
>>
>>31561512
http://www.eliteammunition.com
>>
>>31561345
no chance in hell they would take the five seven over the fn45
>>
>>31561345
I'll probably pick one up if ammo prices drop. I've always wanted one but as a poorfag I can't justify it.
I'm wondering if M9's will get surplused. They're gonna be beat to shit, but still, I could do with a beater M9 to fuck around with.
>>
I'd still only get a five7 if it was alloy frame with no cheese grater railzzz
>>
i don't get it why can't I just get some 50-60gr 0.224in FMJ bullets and reload it hot, would that not be armor piercing?
>>
>>31561345
>Only one handgun chambered in 5.7
Of course not
>>
>>31561418
That's what hollow points are for, lol
>>
>>31561604
Velocity is what AP needs, and a strong penetrator.
Slow won't do it
60gr x28 won't be fast enough
>>
>>31561646
what about a 30gr FMJ loaded hot?
I mean what is so special about AP factory loads?
>>
>>31561345
>So then, do you become a 5.7mm fan overnight? Do you rush to get a Five-seveN pistol?
Five-seveN shots up to 3k USD overnight. I don't go buy one at that price, I just wish I had got one before the price increase
>>
>>31561345
>So of the Army chooses 5.7mm as their new service caliber, is /k/ going to reverse their years and years of "meme caliber" shitposting and get on board with the best handgun cartridge ever designed?

It would have to do more damage in call of duty for /k/ to adopt it.
>>
>>31561489
You don't have to sign a convention to be in violation of it.
Nazi Germany was tried under aspects of the 1907 Hague convention and it was found that a country did not have to be a signatory to violate an article.

http://avalon.law.yale.edu/imt/judlawre.asp
>>
>>31561782
lol if you lose a war your fucked no matter what excuse the victor uses to punish you.
>>
File: 117.jpg (254KB, 1037x692px) Image search: [Google]
117.jpg
254KB, 1037x692px
>>31561345
5.7 is great! But not out of a Five-SeveN.
>>
>>31561871
just make a 20" barrel for your five-seven.
>>
>>31561834
Still, under international law, a state does not have to be a signatory of an article to violate it.
>>
>>31561871
Even out of a small "micro-rifle" type package, it falls short of much older cartridges like the .22 Spitfire or .221 Fireball -- precisely because it was made short enough to fit into a pistol.
>>
>>31561370
Wrong. Nevermind the minimal recoil impulse and capacity, especially with the comparatively small +10 extension.

I'm not a fan of the Five-seveN but the whole AP argument is retarded. It plays second fiddle to the P90 and always will. THAT is the point of the gun, not just to have AP that nobody actually cares about
>>
>>31561573

They aren't considering .45 in the trials, dipshit.
>>
File: 1449194210891.png (108KB, 340x368px) Image search: [Google]
1449194210891.png
108KB, 340x368px
>>31562106
Its also made short enough to fit into a 50 round magazine, can your fag rounds do that?
>>
>>31564329
The length of the cartridge has less to do with how many fit into the magazine than the base diameter and relatively low case taper. The rounds fit in the magazine perpendicular to the gun's barrel and the case length only modifies how wide the magazine is.

To answer your question, though, in a similar package they would hold fewer rounds and need a wider magazine.
>>
>>31561345
>purposefully designed to outmatch 9mm

Too bad 5.7x28 in a pistol does not, has never, and will never outmatch 9x19.

5.7 is shit. If the military adopted it, I wouldn't carry it. It's garbage for self defense unless you have armor piercing rounds AND you're fighting people with armor (you aren't). A rifle does everything the 5.7 set out to do, and for a pistol as backup, I'd rather have a shitty M9.
>>
>>31564432

>Too bad 5.7x28 in a pistol does not, has never, and will never outmatch 9x19.

NATO came to the opposite conclusion for both their PDW concept and their handguns.

I'm going to go ahead and trust NATO over some fucking retard on /k/
>>
>>31561345
No, who does this? I don't give a shit about it now, why would I change my tune if the army adopted it? The army is adopting the G28 at some point and that hasn't changed me thinking AR10s are gay.
Btw, mass adoption doesn't stop something being a meme caliber.
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.