[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

RRA Operator AR15 at LGS. AR buying tips?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

File: Capture.png (55KB, 598x339px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
55KB, 598x339px
Well /K/ im finally dropping dosh for a AR and after discussing with the clerk who was actually quite nice and informative. we discussed the DMPS panther oracle, a variant of the S&W M&P rifles and lastly a Rock River Arms Operator.
The DMPS and S&W ranged from 650-700$ while the RRA Costs 950$ at my LGS. The clerk and two other employees stood by the RRA saying it had no problems running any type of ammo unlike the DMPS and it had some better features that I favored compared to the S&W.

So if you dont mind me asking /k/ is it worth it to get the RRA operator? Pic related, this is the Upper that was on the rifle. will include pic of store tag next post.

P.S ive always been a milsup guy so im trying to educate myself on the whole platform in general
>>
They're all the damn same. Palmetto's probably cheaper.
>>
File: 20161004_171508.jpg (3MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20161004_171508.jpg
3MB, 5312x2988px
OP here. this is the tag on the rifle at the LGS. it does not tell you much but it got a bit of the lower receiver in the photo.
>>
>>31561187
That handguard is unnecessarily heavy.
t. owns one
>>
>>31561187
Looks like a decent price but as mentioned it will be heavy. I prefer light weight builds but kinda dig the operator look.
>>
Here's what to do. I'm relatively new to ARs but I did a lot of research and spent a lot of money before settling on below and I'm very happy.

The quality of the upper is really what matters. I HIGHLY recommend a lightweight AR build. That's how the gun was originally designed; for that you will need a decent upper with a modular handguard, like Keymod or M-lok.

Buy a BCM complete upper. It will run about $750 on their website, it ships right to your house. I recommend the cold hammered forged pencil barrel, it's extremely light as the AR-15 was originally designed.

Buy a complete lower. This will run you about $300 and it will ship to an FFL. The shop you're at right now will handle it for you.
>>
>>31561223
I should add that it's never had any major issues or stoppages
>>
File: DSC_0054.jpg (1MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0054.jpg
1MB, 3264x1836px
I have had six ARs over the years, and my RRA is the only one I would be hard pressed to part with.

Accuracy has been excellent, as has reliability. In around 7000 rounds, I have had one major malfunction, which resulted from firing Tula until the rifle started smoking terribly and a case ripped apart in the chamber.

I have used it hunting from coyotes at -20F to prairie dogs at 107F with no issues. M855 will print sub 1" groups (5 shot) at 100yds, 77gr OTM will be 0.5-0.75“ at 100yds.

I should note, I have an unlined barrel and the Operator muzzle brake is terribly concussive. I replaced it nearly immediately. It does work very well as a compensator and a wire cutter.

I have had others complain about the weight (about 11lb loaded, no optic) but I like the solid heft of it.
>>
>$950
>RRA
Ya fuck that. Get a 6920.
>>
>>31561757
Folding front sight and fixrd carrybhandle rear sight... srsly
>>
OP here, thanks for the advice!
Also yes I can totally agree the rifle is quite heavy compared to other ARs i have held, Which can be a pro or con depending whats going on with it. which mostly be bench shooting at 100m-400m.
>>31561757
Thats great to hear! I plan to of course modify the rifle after purchase to my own preferences but if the performance is as good as your saying then im pretty much sold.

of course price has always been a issue. but i have saved up about 1300 for this purchase as i plan to buy a membership for a local rifle club soon (90 dollars annually) so i believe I am getting a fair deal as the upper sells for 920 alone new.

it seems the only flaws are weight and noise by a odd muzzle device. which of course can be modified.

Ill be glad to accept any more information or opinions on this though, thank you all again for your time.
>>
>>31563068
Shit was pretty rad in 2009. Also, that is a NM detachable carry handle.

>>31564889
If you are mostly on the bench, I would just start with the muzzle brake. It is seriously as loud as loud as the brakes you see on three-gun setups.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.