[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Other than cash

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 5

File: FullSizeRender.jpg (104KB, 580x734px) Image search: [Google]
FullSizeRender.jpg
104KB, 580x734px
Good evening /k/
I am currently staying in a travel trailer while I build a cabin. I am slightly concerned about keeping cash in there because of the slight risk of a fire. I am not against banks or anything, but I like to keep some money close buy. Because paper and fire go so well together I would like to buy some silver or as recommended that I invest in guns. The money I have is for backup funds, so I would like it to be something that I could easily turn back for cash if I need to buy something down the road.
So I am thinking of a couple of options.
1. Buy a bunch of silver coins/bars
2. Buy a few guns
3. Just put the money in an ammo can and put it under the sink

If #2, what would be the guns of choice for best holding value and possibly turning into a profit down the road?
The only thing that really makes me hesitant on investing in guns is that buying new it pretty much drops in value right away. Also it can get ruined buy a fire.

Your thoughts please.

Or just a general prepper thread
>>
>>31560998
Silver is not a currency. It is not an investment. It is a hedge. I recommend #3, unless you're worried about wandering meth heads. Then you may have to get crafty.

At this point in our history, any modern functional longarm with good glass on it is a good lifetime investment. After Sandy Vagina a I gave the matter much deep thought and now place all my faith in .223, 30-06, and 12 gauge. Any decent firearm in any of those three, with Burris glass on top if it's a rifle, and at least 200 cartridges each.
>>
>>31560998
Silver melts, bro.
>>
>>31561095
thankfully melted silver can still be traded
>>
guns never lose their value, but they are hard to keep around.

silver and whatnot is difficult. sounds like you don't got too much cash, so i'd keep your cash reserves up, and if possible invest anything else in making you generate more money (learn a skill, whether at college or trade school). that is the main investment you should be doing.
>>
>>31560998
If buying silver I suggest APMEX. They have good prices over spot and so far Ive had good service.

Also buy in bulk, the more you buy at once the less it cost. Bars are usually less then coins. Also there is something about holding a Kilo bar in your hand that makes you feel very piratey
>>
Thanks for the info everyone, I might end up doing all three. But I still have to think about it.
>>
The problem with precious metals is their volatility in the current market.

I would keep cash in a small fire resistant safe that's in a place that water can't get to.
>>
File: XdUEZjo.jpg (281KB, 800x1162px) Image search: [Google]
XdUEZjo.jpg
281KB, 800x1162px
>>31560998
Silver and gold have been dropping in price and probably will tank after the election when interest rates go up.
>>
Soon, brass lead and copper will be the only metals worth anything.
>>
>>31561095
It also kills fucking werewolves.
>>
>>31561036
>not a currency
only as of 1964 in the states. Tejas is building their own state gold vault. Metal IS money. trips wills be faggots, par for the course

>>31562251
look long term
>>
>>31560998
This image got me so stoked. My bug out LITERALLY has THAT gun and about that many pieces of silver rounds in it.
>>
>>31562914
Have you checked it lately? better look....
>>
OP i am a hobo and im drunk as fuck in some bushes next to walmart as i post tgis with over $1,500 in my pockets

No one is out to get you my dude liquifiable assets are fine but you just add extra steps when you could just keep moneys

Just put it somewhere fun or better yet 6 different fun spots if you know what i mean
>>
>>31562981
Where on god's earth does a hobo get that kind of dough?

Are there.... are there TRUST FUND hobos?
>>
>>31562736
When your house burns down just try to pay your bills with silver. No one will take it aside from the pawn shop, who'll bend you over a set of speakers and give your white trash ass a good dicking
>>
>>31563006
Yes there are but i got it through good old fashioned pan handling spanging my good friend
>>
>>31563008
Not true
>>
File: oltimeykek.png (912KB, 781x769px) Image search: [Google]
oltimeykek.png
912KB, 781x769px
>>31562981
>drunk bum
>talking bout liquid assets
good lord ma sides

>>31563008
you know .gov coins have a face value right? as in legal tender. you can put your trip back on dumbass
>>
>>31563064
And not blowing it all on meth and cigs and booze, natch.

Good. Sell as many rich faggots as many medieval style indulgences as they may care to bestow upon you, then move to a small rural town and put your money and your frugal living habits to work.
>>
>>31563075
Buddy you wish you had cool shit like me, dont get butt flustered
>>
>>31563090
If i play music at you just remember to give me 10 cents or something k

A dude needs a pint
>>
>>31563075
>you know .gov coins have a face value right?
So I can buy a silver dollar for $20 and then use it as a dollar?
Why not just fucking keep my money in the first place.
Only idiots invest in bullion for the SHTF.
>>
>>31563091
like smellin of piss

>>31563130
i never said its a good idea to do that but you might.
(((smarter people))) fleeing have converted tens of thousands dollars worth into a handful of coins that are a legally declarable value of much less.

dumbasses think when SHTF it happens everywhere. its even dumber to store wealth in cash over time
>>
>>31560998
Have you considered just buying/making an insulated fireproof case and sticking cash in it? It would be less hassle and you wouldn't have to worry about depreciation. Silver melts if it gets hot enough and most guns have parts that will melt/burn so they're not that much safer than just sticking cash in a plaster pot and throwing in some some sort of pressurized inert gas to prevent combustion, Like CO2 cartridges made of something that will fail before ignition temperature of do$h.

Also, I wouldn't keep cash in a metal ammo can if you're worried about fire as metal conducts heat and could burn the cash sitting on top of it.
>>
>>31560998
Buy a better trigger for that m&p
>>
>>31563196
If you are so worried about the inability to trade in some delusional SHTF fantasy why not just skip the middle man and buy useful things with the money like nonperishable foods and water.
>>
File: coppers.jpg (1MB, 2000x1500px) Image search: [Google]
coppers.jpg
1MB, 2000x1500px
>>31562697
>Copper.
Is it better to have to raw or refined?
>tfw I need a smelter.
>>
One tampon will have more value after SHTF than all the silver in OP's pic.

If western currency fails, do you think you'll be trading silver or gold with Chinese vendors or some shit?

If you need "backup funds", then store government bonds in a safe deposit box. They'll collect interest and will hold their value unless the government no longer exists- in which case value will only be in physical objects- cows, chickens, ammo, manual well pumps etc.
>>
>>31563106
Shall do.
>>
>>31563290
im not, just posting the counter argument
what you proposed though is what folks in south america and other countries have done. in the face of falling buying power folks spent all they had on shit like household products, things people use.

the worst thing id say about metal is that we as people are no better than a racoon who wont let go of its treasure. but, we do know that gold and silver are rare and useful in industry

>>31563367
glad i seen this, was about to post
have you seen the return on then lately? theres a reason why all the moneys in stocks currently
>>
>>31563290

Not him, at all, but hedging your bets with precious metals isn't a bad idea.

I keep several thousand in silver on hand because as the economy slows down, the price of metals skyrocket, which means as your conventional investments lose ground, you still have a safe amount liquidity if you need it.

Diversification.
>>
>>31563344
Wrapped around lead
>>
>>31563419
Silly bitch, I have aluminium foil for that.
>>
>>31563400
See but that's different from "I need some silver in my house in case shit goes down!1!" You have a plan for that metal, the silver isn't your "just in case" money, its like a stock in your portfolio. This guys idea to have metal lying around in case of an emergency is retarded.
>>
>>31563451

Yeah metals in case of SHTF is silly, OP should just have a checking account.

I'm at work or I'd post my bars of silver. Generally I set aside enough cash to get at least 10oz-t a month.
>>
>>31563449
Lead...not head
>>
>>31563494
So in case you need to cash in on your silver investment, where do you sell it?
>>
OP here, a little more background.
I received 3k from my grandpa and I have money in the bank which I plan on using to build a cabin. I also have a modest collections of guns.
I would like to keep this money separate from my bank because I will end up spending it because I can. This reserve is an investment or backup for if I need it down the road. Not planning on it for SHTF, but something I can exchange for cash if I need to later. If it gains in profit, great. If it stays about the same that's fine too.
>>
>>31563720

Anyone that buys precious metals. Anyone that buys precious metals will buy at the spot price, it's part of the market. For instance, say the price is $17oz-t, the spot price is probably a quarter higher than that, so a buyer will pay ~$17.20oz-t

Or you could buy "silver" stock in a company, but I simply don't trust companies to handle my theoretical precious metal, so I keep it on hand, about 75% in a safe deposit box and 25% on hand.

So right now we're close to about $10k, but if the economy slows, we can see that number jump to $50k with the same number of metal, and with the stash growing about 10oz-t a month, you just keep increasing that long term safety net.

That's just me though, I lost my ass in the last recession, and decided I HAVE to have emergency liquidity possible.
>>
>>31563819
>I would like to keep this money separate from my bank because I will end up spending it because I can.
Ah. So it's a self-discipline thing as well. Hum.

Then put half in silver coins and the other half in a short-term certificate of deposit. And a fuckload of ammo. Even if you never sell it, you'll shoot it sooner or later.
>>
>>31563858

>Silver and CDs

These are excellent options to grow a little bit of money in a relatively short term.

Some banks offer 5-year CDs with interest rates as high as 13%
>>
File: IMG_2012.jpg (2MB, 3111x2074px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2012.jpg
2MB, 3111x2074px
I'm no stacker, but I have a small collection of silver. The only thing I paid for was $40 for the pendant on the right, the left one was from my father and the chain is .925, the rings I made from quarters.
>>
>>31562280
Holland intensifies...
>>
>>31560998
Ok. If you buy metal, buy it. No stocks etc. Also forget about silver. It has some uses in industry because of it conductivity, anti bacterial assests etc. But it is too volatile. It shoots up and down at the turn of a hat. If 2007 happens agains, who knows what silver will do. I love the sound it makes when you flip it though. Pure silver, nothing like it.

Get gold. Period.
As pure as possibe. Even if you can only get 1/20 troy ounce. Etc. Dont be tempted by the size of a silver coin.

That being said: Better to invest in a house, in ground, in yourself with schooling, a good rifle etc. Get a packed saving account. If you got all of that and a savings account of 35.000 dollars of spending money, look into gold.
Thread posts: 46
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.