[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

SpaceX might think ULA sniped its rocket

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 140
Thread images: 20

File: Untitled.png (86KB, 520x294px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
86KB, 520x294px
https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/economy/implication-of-sabotage-adds-intrigue-to-spacex-investigation/2016/09/30/5bb60514-874c-11e6-a3ef-f35afb41797f_story.html

http://www.popularmechanics.com/space/rockets/a23183/spacex-sniped-rocket/

So, SpaceX's recent rocket blew up. Not normally weapons-related, but apparently the investigation hasn't dug up any likely answers. Musk has announced problems with locating the source of a small bang and a flash erupting from the roof of a United Launch Alliance building. The ULA, mind you, is the organization that has recently lost contracts to SpaceX.

Thus far, ULA has met with SpaceX but has denied them access to their rooftops. The building in question is approximately one mile away.

Is this reasonable, /k/? Could a trained marksman reliably hit a rocket tank from one mile away on his first shot?
>>
>>31556883
>Could a trained marksman reliably hit a rocket tank from one mile away on his first shot?
At 1 mile Falcon-9 would be like 7x120 MOA target. Yes it is possible.
>>
File: uyik.png (418KB, 446x476px) Image search: [Google]
uyik.png
418KB, 446x476px
>>31556883
>the megacorp wars are nearly upon us
fuck you guidance councilor, I knew shadowrunner would become a valid career choice some day
>>
People have landed shots that far on people, let alone something the size of a Falcon-9.

>>31556935

Fucking dragons, I swear to god...
>>
>>31556883
>Is this reasonable, /k/? Could a trained marksman reliably hit a rocket tank from one mile away on his first shot?

The world record for a confirmed sniper kill is held by a Brit at about 1.5 miles, a rocket tank is huge in comparison to a man.
>>
So its dystopian megacorps in our future huh?

Better practice my cyberpunk
>>
>>31556883
>Musk has announced problems with locating the source of a small bang and a flash erupting from the roof of a United Launch Alliance building.
Who ever did it, if it even happened, wouldn't be retarded enough not to have a suppressor.
>>
Lockheed faggots at it again.

Guess where this guy works now, after his tenure in the Air Force getting the F-35 contract started.
>>
So how hard of a shot is this? A Falcon 9 is about 4 meters wide at the point where the explosion started.
>>
>>31556883

It's possible, especially considering how ULAfags FUCKING HATE SpaceX with a passion.

Doubt it though.
>>
>>31556883
So what is /k/ planning to do when the megacorp wars start? Personally I'm gonna hire myself out as a low rent decker
>>
>>31557018
That's nothing. I used to bull's-eye womp rats in my T-16 back home. They're not much bigger than two meters.
>>
>>31557045
Proofs is required, water harvester
>>
>>31556966
>The world record for a confirmed sniper kill is held by a Brit at about 1.5 miles
He fired like 30 shots walking to target for that kill though.
>>
>>31557018
if it is 4 meters wide then it wouldn't be that hard. look at long range shooters of utah with their 1 mile milk jug challenge. If a 308 with handloads can get a gallon milk jug (which is under 10" wide) in under 10 shots @ 1 mile I'm sure they could hit a 120+ inch target on the first try.
>>
>>31557085
Yes, but that was half again the distance at a target approximately 1/30th the size, which was also moving somewhat.
>>
we're gonna have militarized armored spehsscraft and we didn't even need ayys to show up to do it
>>
>>31556966
Range is right, but I thought he was a leaf?

With a Barret of some sort, IIRC.
>>
File: 7ff.jpg (142KB, 600x1040px) Image search: [Google]
7ff.jpg
142KB, 600x1040px
>>31556883
This shit sounds like an armored core briefing with all the parts about robots cut out
>>
>>31557134
http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2014/12/longest-sniper-kill-2474-meters-craig-harrison/
>>
>>31556883
So the next SpaceX launch will feature PMCs hired by both sides.
>>
>>31557134
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Longest_recorded_sniper_kills#Confirmed_kills_1.2C250.C2.A0m_.281.2C367.C2.A0yd.29_or_greater
>>
>>31556969
A suppressor for a 1 mile shot? Doesn't work that way friendo.
>>
>>31556983
Please ignore the military-industrial complex. It's healthy for national defense!
>>
>>31557226
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0nqhWkz6Tk
ok
>>
>>31557085
>He fired like 30 shots walking to target for that kill though.
That was a target about 1/36th the size which would displace roughly 8-12 times its width during the time the round was in the air. The rocket was completely stationary. Given 5 rounds, a decent long range build, and a little help with rifle/load dope and spotting, I bet 50% of /k/ could put a round on that target.
>>
Why the fuck would ULA shoot from their own building? I mean goddamn, get a panel van, stop on the road going past the facility and shoot while the driver is making like he's changing a flat.

Or do anything else that's not SHOOT FROM THE ROOFTOP OF THE BUILDING YOU OWN.
>>
File: Barrett_M107A1_16.jpg (110KB, 1232x816px) Image search: [Google]
Barrett_M107A1_16.jpg
110KB, 1232x816px
I guess I have the very exact rifle I would pick for such a purpose. The .50BMG has a variety of payloads that can carry chemical energy to create such a problem. Also, the suppressor would be useful to tame the noise down to about 161db on a 29" barrel for the first-round pop. The suppressor does have a very small visible fireball signature for the first round, but not subsequent shots.

Say you fired a legacy M8 API bullet at the rocket 1 mile away. If it's muzzle velocity was 2700 FPS, weight is 622gr, and it's G1 BC was 0.65 (just a guess), it would still be going about 1060fps, and carry 1550ft/lbs of energy. The big Barrett's like this have a factory-stated accuracy of 3MOA, well within the 7MOA target size that someone said the rocket would be.

I have no idea how hard the hide of a rocket is, and if an API round going just 1060fps could penetrate it. Just some numbers to consider.

Rough calculations brought to you by Hornaday's external ballistic calculator.

I'm not a robot
>>
>>31557226
go back to /v/ kiddo
>>
File: 1459070385322.jpg (159KB, 1280x1215px) Image search: [Google]
1459070385322.jpg
159KB, 1280x1215px
>>31556935
TFW
>>
>>31557330
>Four arms
>Doesn't stow his fucking mags
into_the_trash.ayy
>>
>>31557361
im more concerned with the fact the other guy is carrying a 1911
>>
>>31556883
Absolutely. A mile isn't that far for modern rifles anymore, especially stuff like the MacMillan Tac-50 and the M82 Barrett
>>
File: 1462738973837.jpg (109KB, 525x1216px) Image search: [Google]
1462738973837.jpg
109KB, 525x1216px
>>31557291
they were probably just using the rifle scope to watch the launch and accidentally pulled the trigger.
>>
SpaceX fag here, yes I actually work there but not in the investigations team, I work launch ops at Vandenberg.

Talk is that we don't think it's likely, but the team did some math and found that it's totally possible for even a sub .50 round to burst the second stage helium tank. The COPV (composite over wrapped pressure vessel) on board is quite strong when subjected to spread forces, but point forces can break the thin metal skin inside, and when that happens, the helium just rushes in and attacks the carbon fiber. So yes, even at a mile away perhaps a silenced .50 could do it.

The main thing about this is that even though the theory behind it is within the realm of possibility, it makes little practical sense. The only good place to snipe from is the roof of the ULA building. Anything else is wetlands and would be hard to get into / out of. Getting into the Cape with a big ass rifle, which is air force secured mind you, would require a lot of help. Also, the fact that there'd be hundreds of ULA employees that would have heard such a shot that would have to keep quiet about it or be completely oblivious.
>>
>>31557373
Also
>".50 Spirel" AR
>M4 profile barrel

>".308 Megaton AR"
>It's a fucking AR-15
>>
File: air force chin structure.jpg (40KB, 552x394px) Image search: [Google]
air force chin structure.jpg
40KB, 552x394px
>>31557382
>air force secured
As if that means anything
>>
File: 1471701784639.png (4MB, 1630x1343px) Image search: [Google]
1471701784639.png
4MB, 1630x1343px
>>31557330
>>
>>31556935
Or maybe it's another company sniping there trying to frame ULA. Like >>31557291 said, why would you shoot from your own property? It's not like they'd be launching bottle rockets in celebration.

Fucking dataDyne, I swear...
>>
>>31556883

If the rocket was sabotaged by ULA it would most likely have been a directed energy weapon, not a rifle.

But of course that's conspiracy level crap. From the audio in the released video it sounds exactly like what happens when cryogenic LOX comes into contact with a surface or metal that hasn't been pre-cooled. Cryogenic LOX + (relatively) warm metal = very quick and energetic oxidation reaction.

Every rocket has at least 2 fuel tanks per stage, stacked on top of each other: smaller one for the fuel, bigger one for the oxidant. Since weight is such an issue, most of the structural rigidity of the rocket comes from the fuel tanks themselves when pressurized. This also means there needs to be pipes running from the top tank through the bottom tank. If for example the top tank is the cryo LOX and the bottom the fuel (kerosene for the Falcon 9), the tanks, fuel, and the pipes running through the fuel tank carrying LOX all need to be cooled to cryogenic temperatures or you get exactly what happened.
>>
>>31557303
Could you make this easier for me to understand.
>>
>>31556883
>apparently the investigation hasn't dug up any likely answers.

Incorrect. A LO2 tank leaked onto the fuel tank, temperature differentials caused the fuel tank to rupture, once the fuel and oxidizer had mixed an explosion was almost inevitable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhdQPaABFK0
>>
>>31557291
>he thinks idiots don't exist in ULA.
>>
>>31557382
>The main thing about this is that even though the theory behind it is within the realm of possibility, it makes little practical sense. The only good place to snipe from is the roof of the ULA building. Anything else is wetlands and would be hard to get into / out of. Getting into the Cape with a big ass rifle, which is air force secured mind you, would require a lot of help. Also, the fact that there'd be hundreds of ULA employees that would have heard such a shot that would have to keep quiet about it or be completely oblivious.
The easiest way to confirm or quell the theory is to simply take the recordings and time that "small bang" to initial flame out.

If no one on the investigation team is firearms-savvy, this might not occur to them. There is a relatively narrow band of difference between visual effect of the shot and sound arriving. Furthermore, if the "bang" was heard BEFORE the container started outgassing pre-ignition, then the likelyhood it was a firearm is very, very, very small - remember the shot would arrive well before the sound of the shot and just before the supersonic crack at that distance.

It seems like physics calculations of this sort would be right up their alley, being rocket scientists and all. Now, as far as flash and immediate bang is concerned, a DEW is a much more likely possibility.
>>
>>31557407
If it wasn't ULA, then how did they gain access to the ULA building, sneak a huge rifle past US military security, take a loud shot that would have undoubtedly been heard by hundreds of ULA employees, then leave said secure base with a huge ass rifle after the whole place goes on high alert?
>>
>>31557432
Just giving some realistic, hard numbers about what kind of energy a practical, real-world rifle would do with a practical choice of ammo at the stated range. Without speculation - yes, you could hit it without too much trouble, and yes, it should have enough energy at that range to fugg something up.
>>
>>31557439
That's the thing. We timed it and it's about the time it takes for a projectile with the velocity of a typical anti materiel round to travel about 1.15 miles. So it fits, but again, it's not confirmation. There are so many things at a launch pad that can make noises like that at random intervals, and before we go and point the big finger at ULA, have have to be absolutely sure.
>>
>>31557475

Isn't >>31557411
and >>31557437
the much more likely answer?
>>
>>31557475
>That's the thing. We timed it and it's about the time it takes for a projectile with the velocity of a typical anti materiel round to travel about 1.15 miles. So it fits, but again, it's not confirmation. There are so many things at a launch pad that can make noises like that at random intervals, and before we go and point the big finger at ULA, have have to be absolutely sure.
If you have multiple sound recordings from different locuses with very concrete event time sync, it should be very, very easy to localize that bang. I would have to assume there would be at least two widely separated recorders, one at the pad and one at the observation/control site. Only one more gives you a very localized area for that "small bang", especially when you have the detailed humidity and temperature data you must have at a launch site.
>>
>>31557503

Volume differences between the two could also give you a good idea of relative distance.
>>
>>31557503
This. If you have that data, which gives you a firing point within 50-100 yards, plus flight time of the round, you can actually eliminate or label likely specific factory rounds in the likely calibres. Compared to orbital mechanics, these would be relatively simple calculations.

>>31557519
This is problematic, simply due to small actors like wind across the recorder mic, mic sensitivity level, directional performance and specific orientation of the mic, etc.

Using amplitude to judge distance is nearly impossible. Refining temperature and humidity and working with nothing more than travel time is a far more accurate way to do it.
>>
>>31557442

>If it wasn't ULA, then how did they gain access to the ULA building
Inside job? Super spy?
>sneak a huge rifle past US military security
Hey, Mr guard! Just moving my hand truck full of junk through.
>a loud shot that would have undoubtedly been heard by hundreds of ULA employees
True.
>then leave said secure base with a huge ass rifle after the whole place goes on high alert?
Woah, did you hear that? I'd better go secure this hand track full of junk and volatile chemicals behind the shed over there!

I dunno, it's mostly cyberpunk espionage mischief.
>>
>>31557216
>tfw you will never be in a gunfight with opposing mercenaries while your clients techies try to get a rocket launched

Feels bad.
>>
File: 1474489869941.png (318KB, 515x433px) Image search: [Google]
1474489869941.png
318KB, 515x433px
>>31557660
>you will never fight against opposing PMCs in zero-g over space resources
>>
>>31557291

It's incredibly unlikely to have been ordered or even known of by actual ULA higher-ups.

My money is on some ULA worker who thought they could save their job with sabotage.
>>
>>31557503
>>31557519
>>31557475

Here are the sounds (and bang) in question just prior to the explosion
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHhF3QNC8o8
>>
File: polar-patterns.jpg (35KB, 657x434px)
polar-patterns.jpg
35KB, 657x434px
>>31557519
Live sound engineer here. This >>31557541
>This is problematic
is correct.

Way, way, way too many chaotic factors to accurately model that. In addition to/expanding on what he mentioned:
>pic related is a directional graph of mic performance for several types of transducers. You can see how relative amplitude of recorded sound gets super complex in a hurry if you don't have a bolted down and very carefully measured recorder in distance, orientation and very carefully tested mic-by-mic individual performance
>no actual production mic perfectly matches the polar patterns above - each model and each individual mic has specific departures from ideal/normalized response, especially in omnidirectional types.
>any sizable obstacle (wall, building, etc.) in the path of the sound from source to mic could substantially alter amplitude of perceived sound through reflection fractions
>any smaller feature around the mic could substantially alter amplitude (solid half-wall around a roof-mounted mic could heavily increase perceived SPL, for instance - to test this, shoot under even a slightly roofed firing line outdoors and then under open sky - you will hear a large difference)
>the material and orientation of objects along the ground will vastly affect perceived SPL (dB, etc) at the mic, with absorbent things like heavy foliage, crowds of people, etc. reducing the "volume" and vast concrete stretches, solid buildings, etc. preserving more of the "volume" over distance
and many, many more factors.

TLDR: it's a modelling nightmare to try and derive distance from source by sound amplitude in anything but very, very carefully controlled laboratory conditions. Direction and travel time are ALWAYS the way to go when looking to calculate distance or location using multiple sound recorders.
>>
>>31557792
So that's not the sound of the shot. If firearms related, that could only be the sound of the actual round impacting followed by the delay between fuel/oxidizer escaping and coming into contact with warmer metals.

You need external recordings which actually record the "crack" of the supersonic round or "bang" of the firing cartridge if you're expecting to localize the shooter and support or disprove that theory.
>>
>>31557821
This. If it was a rifle round, that's the round impacting. The crack and bang arriving would be buried in the noise of the subsequent explosion at the actual target site.
>>
My original thought for sniper location was somewhere in the wetlands surrounding the pad, equipped with a ghillie suit and a rifle that could break down to fit in a small backpack. They'd have to stick around until the initial buzz of emergency response died down, and then make their egress at nighttime.

Of course, this theory requires that the shooter be a highly-trained SF guy who's willing and able to lie prone in a Florida swamp for potentially two days, and get in and out without being caught.

Butthurt ULA personnel with access to a nearby rooftop does make more sense.
>>
File: ACI_Comona_Launch.jpg (175KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
ACI_Comona_Launch.jpg
175KB, 1280x720px
>>31557216
>PMCs duking it out over a space launch site
We Ace Combat Infinity now?
>>
>>31557900
It seems like thermal imagery would be significant and important medium for recording rocket testing and incident investigations, especially for finding dispersed pieces of wreckage. Unless he's got a good counter for IR imaging, this seems like a very risky plan.
>>
>>31557226
you fucking stupid mate? suppressors dont lower velocity like in battlefield
>>
>>31556883
when i heared about that the first thing that came to my mind was that level in black ops when they blow up the russian rocket

I was thinking they did the same to this one too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1NFmDxvkPo
>>
>>31556883
I work for a ULA corporation, this theory wouldn't surprise me desu senpai
>>
File: snakebitetactical.jpg (272KB, 403x482px)
snakebitetactical.jpg
272KB, 403x482px
>>31557943
>>
>>31556883
I would like to point out that its not a foregone conclusion that it was ULA. I mean, coming from a nearby ULA building is pretty suspicious, but that rocket had a Facebook satellite on it, so maybe Google did it to have space to itself.
>>
File: 1475092115632.jpg (45KB, 570x487px) Image search: [Google]
1475092115632.jpg
45KB, 570x487px
>>31557187
>This shit sounds like an armored core briefing with all the parts about robots cut out
>>
>>31556883
>2nd stage blows up in the same exact spot as the one that blew up last year
>Company needs to do enormous damage control (literally and figuratively) to avoid going out of business within the year
>"I-it was sabotage not our incompetence I swear!!!!"

Having worked with these 22 year old arrogant faggots, I can tell you they don't give a rats ass about IRL safety or reliability, just what works on their computer models

>inb4 omg ur a lier
whatever
>>
>>31556883
I can see it happening and in all honesty its not really surprising considering how much money are at stake.
Lucky for SpaceX and their transparent work made them what they are today so any failures wont affect their shares much.
>>
>>31557442
Disassemble the rifle and bring it in with a box of other metal parts.

Or hell, don't. Tell them your Barret .50cal is for remote explosives disposal. Because that is a legit use of a .50cal.
>>
>>31558045
>their transparent work
lmfao

they literally hide safety documentation from their NASA oversight (aka the people paying them to fly to the station)
>>
Washington Post is owned by Jeff Bezos aka blue origin and likely made this shit up
>>
>>31557088
Some mick did the challenge first shot shooting from one sea cliff to another in decent wind. I don't think hitting a rocket would be hard at all
>>
>>31558073
>NASA
dude please they are money pit and havent done shit in years.
Leave corporations to do their own thing
>>
>>31557943

They'd be focused on the rocket itself. Sabotage isn't generally a big concern with rocket launches, so the IR cameras would not be pointing outward.
>>
>>31558016
aerospace suppliers don't give you bad struts, the failure last year was sabotage

This one was likely someone destroying the jewish satellite.
>>
>>31558116
>>31558133
>i don't have the faintest idea about the subject but here's my hot opinions anyway
just fuck off
>>
>>31557085
a win is a win weather it's by an inch or a mile.
>>
>>31558156
sure if you say so
>>
File: tac-50-a1-r2-long.jpg (17KB, 800x248px) Image search: [Google]
tac-50-a1-r2-long.jpg
17KB, 800x248px
>>31557085
Nine rounds, according to his wiki page.
>>31557134
Canadian named Rob Furlong broke Carlos Hathcock's old record in Afghanistan with a McMillan TAC-50, then his record was quickly broken by Craig Harrison, a Brit using an L115A3 (AI AWM) .338 Lapua Mag.
>>
>>31557465
Seeing you here.
Let me ask.

Should u save up and buy a Barrett?
Range nearme just opend a 1000yrd range. And i have some private land 2 hours away where i could go out to 2200yds
>>
>>31558116
Just because they haven't been to the Moon in decades doesn't mean they're a money pit.
>>
>>31558216
Eh, don't go with a Barrett. They're accurate, especially ones that haven't been dragged across Afghanistan and Iraq for years, but you'll get better results with a bolt gun. And .50BMG is falling out of favor for long-range, .338 Lapua and .338 Norma are the main cartridges you'll see besides proprietary/wildcat stuff.
>>
>>31557404
>getting your door kicked in by a mechanized electric razor and oscillating fan

fug
>>
>>31558255

Don't forget the Quantum AI with a romote entangled combat chassis bringing up the rear.
>>
>>31558116
>has unlimited access to information
>decides to post uninformed opinion anyway
>>
>>31557291
Everything going into the spaceport is monitored by vehicle checkpoint and ID badges. There are also roadcam recordings which would pull whoever was on the roads at that time and investigate them. An inside job like shooting from the roof of an adjacent building would easier to get away with.
>>
>>31556883
Bullshit.
Musk is looking for a scapegoat and tries to make the public forget that his rocket is a pile of unstable garbage that needs to be babied even few seconds before the start.
>>
>>31558280
>speculation thread
>DUDE YOU ARE A NIGGER
Murrica fuck yea
>>
>>31558216
Would I buy that exact same model (M107A1) again? Maybe, maybe not. I think I saved every penny I could for 21 months to put together that $18K rig. Yes, it is a .50BMG autloader. Yes, it has easily-manageable recoil. However, the accuracy of that rifle is so piss-poor, that it makes me not enjoy it very much. Factory-stated accuracy is 3MOA with M33 ammo, and I find I usually get 3-5MOA groups from it with whatever I feed it. It can be $7/rd Hornaday AMAX factory ammo, or my $1.45/rd reloads, doesn't seem to matter. Bear in mind that this gun works on the short-recoilprinciple, so a high degree of accuracy isn't to be expected by design. Also, I am relegated to shooting just boring paper targets 99% of the time, since the rounds destroy anything else they touch. I can't even get a .50BMG-rated steel target for it, since almost all the ammo I ever shoot is inexpensive M8 API reloads (the surplus API projectiles are a scant 1/4 the price of FMJs).

I also have a Barrett MRAD in .338 lapua, and by contrast, it shoots like a fine Swiss laser. I find that rifle to be much more enjoyable to shoot recreationally, though it really is a different "class" of firearm. If you aren't afraid to spend some considerable money on a fine rifle, I give it a singing recommendation. You can have a gun like this and enjoy hitting small targets at your 1000yd range with practice, or you can frustrate yourself with a big M82 or M107, and hardly ever shoot it past 200 yards because you can't hit shit with it.

Just my .02

I'm not a robot
>>
>>31558318
It is not MUSK making public claims of sabotage

It is his competitor, JEFF BEZOS through his mouthpiece of the washington post

They still have no idea what destroyed the rocket.
>>
>>31556935
noice career planning, chummer
>>
>>31557804
These are among the problems who engineered gunfire locators encountered.

Anything but the highest powered supersonic pressure producing rifles and pistols can get drowned out by the background noise.
>>
File: 145834614416745.jpg (113KB, 1200x720px) Image search: [Google]
145834614416745.jpg
113KB, 1200x720px
>>31557932
>Ace Combat
>not The Wings of Honneamise
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3l3yEGblTj8
>>
>>31558340
And let's not forget how the trigger group on the .50 seizes up when it gets dirty

:^]
>>
Dragon door gunner when
>>
>>31558241
Barrett makes bolt action precision platforms.

Though as to how good they are... i haven't got a clue.
>>
File: Barrett_M107A1_12.jpg (146KB, 1225x811px)
Barrett_M107A1_12.jpg
146KB, 1225x811px
>>31558385
Yeah, it's back at the factory right now. I thought Barrett was going to fix it gratis, after the communication chain that led up to it. They called me up today and said it was gonna be $298, which I really had to choice but to pay. I'm kinda steamed about it right now, especially since they didn't even call me with an estimate, or to get authorization.

It looks like the disconnector spring was weakened too much, causing that issue. Sadly, I could not reproduce the issue dry. Also, the barrel springs were worn out, and I'm getting a newer, special set for people who primarily shoot suppressed. Lastly, the barrel key was also replaced. I guess lightening that part up with titanium over the steel versions in the M82A1 didn't pay off after all. Titanium may be light, and it may be "strong", but it is not "as strong" as steel.

Oh well. I got a really early serial number of that new M107A1 model, and apparently they revised a number of parts since then. At least they are throwing in a new muzzle break with revised geometry for free. Good thing too, since that fugger is over $400.
>>
>>31558489
Are those fucking tension springs in a "modern" gun design? Seems kinda cheap and lazy desu.
>>
>>31557442
Paradrop them in.
>>
>>31558605
Yes, those are tension springs. They pull on the barrel key, which in turn pulls the barrel forward after the bolt unlocks from the barrel extension. It's been a design that has been in use for over 30 years, even adopted by the military. It's not a bad thing.
>>
>>31558489
I wonder if i shoud get the serbu then.
>>
>>31558847
well there aren't that many autoloaders in 50bmg that you can buy

if you want some form or precision you should consider a fixed barrel bolt action rifle
>>
>>31557932
Just a sad imitation of Shattered Skies.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9G1ob5jnuSo
>>
File: GM6_6.jpg (135KB, 1000x538px)
GM6_6.jpg
135KB, 1000x538px
how does /k/ feel about the gm6 lynx

is it worth $15k when a barrett is only like $8k?
>>
>>31557660
TF2 has a game mode exactly like this.
>>
>>31559044

But why tho?

I'd rather have a AR in 6.8 and a bolt action in .338

Why would you buy a high bore weapons for this price?
>>
>>31558363
That's why they use direction primarily and some can give ballpark range by timing bullet pass and report difference in very limited instances.
>>
>>31556983
He's still in the USAF and still in charge of the F-35 program
>>
>>31559204
Setting up an sound monitoring array all around the island would be pretty easy since it is on a protected federal land where only NASA holds the property and can build there.

All you would get is some industrial background noise and vehicle backfires, all you would need to worry about is when it is raining since heavy Florida downpours are pretty good sound blockers.
>>
>>31557226
You're playing too many video games. Surpressors don't lower velocity.
>>
>>31557291
Cape Canaveral is a high security zone. All vehicle and foot traffic is monitored meaning the only place a ULA sniper would be able to hide is a ULA controlled building
>>
File: 49.jpg (838KB, 2550x3509px) Image search: [Google]
49.jpg
838KB, 2550x3509px
>>31557660
>You will never defend a mass driver from enemy ballistic missiles and airborne troops while they try to launch a laser to your giant space plane.
>>
>>31557932
Pretty sure AC5 also had a set with fighters duking it out as a critial weapon attachment to an orbiting station(?) was being launched.
>>
>>31558847
I have only had one opportunity to handle a BFG-50A, but not shoot it (a local shop has one for sale). At the very least, I can say that it is probably a more accurate platform, since it has a fixed, free-floated barrel). Everything is a trade-off. I wish I could speak with more authority on the BFG-50A... but I can't.

>>31559044
I think I would prefer my M107A1 to the GM6, especially since they are about the same price. I bet the M107A1 has less recoil, since you have a whole lot less mass bottomoming out against your shoulder than the GM6, Also, the Barrett mags are 10 rounds, very proven, and "cheap" at about $150 for the M82A1 mags and $175 for the M107A1 (I have a friendo with a Robar RC-50, and a 5rd mag is $500).
>>
>>31559699
>$500 for stamped sheet metal
>a stamped sheet metal box with a spring costs as much as an entire functioning, high quality pistol
Couldn't do it
>>
>>31559917
Hey man, the magazine has the Robar NP3(tm) finish, so it's totally justified! I remember being at his house when he received the spare magazine a few years ago, and looking at the invoice in disbelief. I just checked Robar's site right now, and it is still $500 even. I mean, they aren't forcing you to buy it... and there aren't alternatives.

Barrett magazines are not much different in their construction, have twice the capacity, and hald the price. Two pieces of stamped sheet metal spot welded together, spring, follow, baseplate, and finish (parking for M82A1 mags, Ceracoat for M107A1 mags). Even Serbu uses Barrett-brand mags for their guns.
>>
ULA is based in Colorado. The Republican House Representative that has the district ULA is in, wants more NASA and USAIRFOCE oversight and control of Spacex invesitagtions.
>>
>>31557373
>cyber psycho Troll bearing down
>built like a Tiger tank, might literally be one at this point
>spend three hours convincing the DM and group that a crit .45 ACP could easily bring him down
>group caves in

STOPPING
POWAH
>>
>>31556883
>is it reasonable
As in what a marksman could do? Probably.

Is it reasonable when this meme welfare queen has done nothing but fuck up and billions of subsidy bucks? No. This was probably SpaceX once again proving that it's a shit along with Tesla Motors.
>>
>>31558373
Holy fuck, that was cool.
>>
>>31556935
To be fair they assumed shadowrunner was either a rollerblading prostitute or something drug related
>>
>>31559106
>doubting the value of long-recoil action in a big bore weapon
>>
>>31560174
Top kek
>>
>>31559627
No, it was a ssto component to weaponize a collaborative space endeavor, between two nations who became enemies overnight.
>>
>>31557382
i'd be far more afraid of the alligators than the chair force.
>>
>>31558373
If this isn't the tightest shit then I don't know what is.
>>
>>31556883
good reason to ban .50 BMG rifles. Gun controllers were right for once.
>>
File: IMG_20160929_135816.jpg (53KB, 614x579px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160929_135816.jpg
53KB, 614x579px
>>31557226
>>
>>31557303
API would be more than enough to poke a home, however whether it shatters or not in contact with the fuel is another story. By then, perhaps, the damage is done.
>>
>>31560825
Unfortunately it's less than a minute out of an entire movie.
>>
>>31560833
>Not using .338
>Current year
>>
>>31557085
Why was that guy just standing around for 9 shots?
>>
The point is not hitting the rocket
The point is hitting the COPV tank at 6000 psi inside it

Possibly the ULA was also behind the sabotage that caused the vehicle blow up last year too
>>
>>31557382
>Also, the fact that there'd be hundreds of ULA employees that would have heard such a shot that would have to keep quiet about it or be completely oblivious.

People are pretty stupid. Throw a pizza party on every floor and no one will hear it because they're too busy trying to beat Edith to the last piece of the pizza. (And she's supposed to be focused on her lose to win weight loss)
>>
>>31561050
I'm sure the building was empty during the launch anyways
>>
Lots of youtubers think the strongback which was holding the rocket up had a faulty seal, like other NASA projects it was old and used leather gaskets for liquid oxygen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QgdIxHoimo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gShH8KN7SYc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIMDlO_Zy8c
>>
>>31560982
The rest of the movie is great though.
>>
>>31558116
>they are money pit
It's more like a money bucket. They're chronically underfunded.
Thread posts: 140
Thread images: 20

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.