[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Home defense weapon

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 11

File: 38-special.jpg (118KB, 1123x805px) Image search: [Google]
38-special.jpg
118KB, 1123x805px
Hello /k/, I am considering purchasing a handgun for my home (bad part of Orlando) and am not sure exactly what to get.

I've shot a few weapons in my time but never owned one. I've been thinking about a .38 but am looking for more opinions

ALSO must be reasonably usable by a 130 pound small woman.
>>
if you don't plan on carrying it don't get a pistol

a 12 gauge pump action shotgun is cheap and powerful
>inb4 i'm too small for that!!!1!!1
i got my shotgun shooting merit badge in boy scouts as a skinny little 12/13 year old (remington 870) and the recoil wasn't bad.
>>
>>31556772
>shotgun

This fudd meme needs to die. A shotgun is objectively worse for defense and may be intimidating to a woman. Can she handle it? Sure, but women aren't known for being reasonable.

Time between follow up shots on a shotgun is worse than a pistol or carbine and no, buckshot won't spread to fill a hallway.

Watch this video.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1UauxacnFA4
>>
>>31556772
Haha! The concern for size is for my wife, she is rather small and dainty and only ever got her to fire my sister's .38

And I plan on carrying, I work at a shop around here and lot's of others carry a weapon here as well considering the area.

My father had a .44 magnum, I really like the feel of that but that's next to impossible to carry (Florida has shit open carry laws)
>>
>>31556772

>fuddlore
>on MY /k/

hahaha

Ruger LC9, OP.
>>
>>31556889
Down voted that shit video just for you
>>
>>31556918

That shit is ADORABLE. Hahahah

But it seems like a good option as well, thanks mate
>>
>>31556682

I would advise some sort of compact 9mm pistol, like a Glock 19 or M&P 9C

Modern 9mm has better ballistics than 38 special, and you will be better off with the faster reloads and higher capacity

Revolvers are nice, and they can't be pushed out of battery by pressing against someone, but they are fairly dated now
>>
>>31556772
Fuck off with this shit. Over penetration, recoil management, unweildy in CQ.
>>
>>31556939
Which do you prefer to carry? Our shop doesn't "allow" for us to carry but alot of the guys here do regardless. Especially after the recent armed robberies around here we're all a little on edge.

Thanks again man
>>
>>31556934

Yeah you'd have a lot more options if your tiny wife didn't have to be able to use it. You're pretty much limited to little babby compacts.

Have you considered getting two, one for your wife, one for yourself? You could really widen your horizons if you do that.
>>
>>31556970
Different anon, but it might depend on your dress code. If carry isn't allowed at work a subcompact like the LC9 will be very small and much easier to conceal compared to something like a Glock 19.
>>
>>31556682
get a 1911
>relatively cheap
>holds enough ammo to fend off any home invasion
>single stack means your wife (i'm assuming) can hold it without struggling
>very little kick for it's round size (I could shoot one when I was 10)
>super simple mechanics and easy to clean/take apart
>common ammo (I would recommend hollow point for the least amount of penetration possible)
>>
>>31556682
That Rossi .38 is an excellent choice. I think a small .38 is about optimal for people who are not experienced shooters but still want to carry a gun or use it defensively
Semi autos are a little too prone to user error when the shooter is not experienced. If you do get a semi auto, just get nice and cozy with it.
For a home defense gun for small hands, I would suggest a ruger SP101 loaded with .38 spc
>>
>>31556988
I have actually. Although I don't believe she would carry, just for in the home. The only issue with that is I'm a Florida resident (transplant thank god) and she's still got residency out of state.
>>
>>31556682
How about a scout rifle?
Most fun I had shooting in a long time.
>>
>>31556989
I work sales in the shop, so I am wear full suit and tie every day

My manager actually has a similar .38 that he wears under his shirt (STRAPPED). It's kind of edgy but you would never know it by looking at him
>>
>>31557027
That actually looks like a blast. How long is that guy? Picture seems kind of deceiving
>>
>>31557016
>Semi autos are a little too prone to user error when the shooter is not experienced.

How is a Glock any different? No safety to think about, just point and shoot. If a semi-auto is complicated, then we clearly aren't talking about possibly reloading the weapon during a shootout. There are only disadvantages with the revolver because it has a lower capacity.
>>
>>31557058
38.6 inch. Thats not mine. (Yet)
It is a blast!
>>
File: 1472269379575s.jpg (10KB, 249x250px) Image search: [Google]
1472269379575s.jpg
10KB, 249x250px
>>31557086
DAMN SHE SMALL

How accurate is it? Seems like she'd be a little weird
>>
>>31557027
A bolt gun for self defense? Kill yourself.
>>
>>31557080
That's a good point, I feel like 6 is ample for home invasion though, especially considering how small the home is - (no long hallways and largest room is maybe 500 sqft)
>>
>>31556970

For work I actually carry an M&P Shield because it's thin enough to be almost unnoticeable

M&P 9C is for when I'm wearing casual untucked shorts and the like
>>
>>31557135
It probably is, but why not have more? Either choice would be fine. I do agree that avoiding safeties and shit is best for avoiding confusion during a high stress situation.
>>
>>31557109
The whole point of scout rifles its that its not just for self defense. It defense, hunting, pretty much a swiss army knife for rifles

It also a hoot to shoot.
>>
>>31557100
All I can say if you get the chance, try it. Seemed to preform pretty well. Very stable.
>>
>>31557183
I will definitely be looking into this, thank you anon.

I am a large lad (6'2") and have freakishly wide shoulders, so I don't wear alot of form fitting clothes, this may be a good option
>>
>>31557186
That's also a good point.

My only apprehension is trigger weight. A friend of mine has a Glock that we used to shoot and that fucking trigger weight scared the hell out of me, it was so light!

That's one of the things I like about my father's .44, I always felt like I knew when it was gonna go off (you know what I mean)
>>
>>31556913
lol, sorry i misread your post. in that case if you want a .38 revolver i'd get the ruger lcr or lcr x, depending on if you want a hammer or not. for a semi, i'd get an lc9, makarov, or a m&p shield
>>
>>31557247
Is a small woman going to do well with the heavier pulled the revolver? I have never understood the desire for long or heavy pulls. Anything over 5-6 lb is fucking retarded. What is the advantage of the heavier pull? So you can think twice while squeezing the trigger?
>>
Ill be called a faggot for this, but get a Hi point carbine in 45; attach a grip and a light. This set up will be much more controlable in terms of aim, recoil and youll need a light on your gun since you cant hold one and fire one handed.

Dont listen to hi point haters, its not the best firearm, but its effective.
>>
>>31557325
I don't mean absurdly heavy! I just mean heavier than like a 2.1lbs trigger weight, when it's that light I feel like if you're at all careless it can slip, freaks me out a bit.

Like I said, somewhere around 4 or 5 I think is plenty, enough to make sure
>>
>>31557023

You just need to buy two, and keep one at the house. No one ever has to know its hers as long as she doesn't carry.

I'm sure you also know that she doesn't need any sort of residency or permit or anything to go shooting.

The number one important thing in learning to use a weapon for self defense is practice.

Go to the range once a week at least and put 100+ rounds through whatever you decide on. When you're in a life or death situation, a lot of it may come down to muscle memory and you will NOT want to fumble if that time comes

*resheathes feedora*
>>
>>31557350
Standard Glock trigger is in the 5-6lb range. Most similar pistols will also be. Many double action revers are around 10lb.
>>
>>31557001
A 1911 cheap? Please....
>>
>>31556682
A full size for non-carry is your best pistol option. The slide is easier to rack, it can hold more rounds, it has better recoil, and you can get a better grip on it. You also will not have a double action trigger pull on a striker which will help a person with smaller hands. Try looking at a SR9E and work from there.
>>
Buying another pistol after work this evening because I can. I already own 2 carry pistols and one Sig P226

What buy?
>>
>>31556682
Step 1. Gtfo of Orlando.
>>
File: 1472350652238.jpg (9KB, 230x252px) Image search: [Google]
1472350652238.jpg
9KB, 230x252px
>>31556682
Just stash tear gas grenades and a proper gas mask under your bed, and when Jamal is gasping for air you just run up to him and smash him with a baseball bat or something
>>
>>31560150
best answer because is defense vs. Jamal OR Juan. Ty anon
>>
>>31557953
No fucking kidding. This place is gonna be Detroit (where I'm from) in 10 years, the tourism won't keep this turd floating
>>
File: PTRD_rifle_and_cleaning_kit.jpg (714KB, 2171x1110px) Image search: [Google]
PTRD_rifle_and_cleaning_kit.jpg
714KB, 2171x1110px
>>31556682
Use this.
>>
What's a good gun for home defense if you don't care about destroying your whole house if you can kill the intruder?
>>
File: MG42.jpg (35KB, 750x270px) Image search: [Google]
MG42.jpg
35KB, 750x270px
>>31560488
>>
>>31560488
Shotgun or rifle. The answer for home defense is always shotgun or rifle.
>>
>>31560488
Shotgun with slugs.
>>
File: Mossberg-500KGI-pkg1.jpg (94KB, 1000x537px) Image search: [Google]
Mossberg-500KGI-pkg1.jpg
94KB, 1000x537px
>>31556682
My sister is

> a 130 pound small woman

and shoots a 500 Mossberg 12ga all day long. Better choice op. If you want a revolver get a S&W or Colt.
>>
I want to get a handgun, but i don't know what to get can someone give me some advice?
>>
File: IMG_20160905_122330.jpg (1MB, 3072x1728px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160905_122330.jpg
1MB, 3072x1728px
>>31561645
Revolvers feel good in the hand to me and are simple to operate. Good for women because you can leave it laying around loaded and she can just pick it up and fire it.
>>
>>31556682
>130 pound
>small
pick one
>>
>>31563084
Not the person your replying to but my wife is 133 pounds and 5'9". She is also about 7 percent body fat.

Dont be mad because you are a turbo manlet.
>>
>>31563132
>manlet
When did 6'1'' become a manlet? stop projecting little guy. No big deal you married a bitch that could Ike Turner you.
>>
>>31563148
6'6" 242.

Not my fault you are insecure.
>>
The most popular gun for women is the Glock 19.

I'd say that if she doesn't want to practice with it regularly, a 9mm revolver is a better choice.
>>
File: 1461026586548.jpg (31KB, 384x384px) Image search: [Google]
1461026586548.jpg
31KB, 384x384px
>>31563157
6'9" here you fags are turbo short
>>
>>31563157
>6'6" 242.
Amazed you didn't list dat 5.6%bf you must be rocking to go with those numbers
Doesn't change the fact you step out of line and don't have the dishes done, you're in deep shit.
>Not my fault you are insecure.
still projecting
>>
>>31563173
I'm about 10% percent body fat because of beer. And I work too much to be cutting all the time.

And yes, my wife is scary when she is mad.
>>
>>31557042
Please leave this board immediately and don't look back.
>>
>>31557350
Get an HK VP9. Full size 9mm so easy to shoot and larger capacity, but it comes with different backstraps, including a smaller one, which will allow it to fit your wife's hand better. I work in a gun store and whenever a couple comes in wanting a pistol for home defense I always recommend a Mossberg 500, and then when they inevitably insist on a handgun, a VP9. Very beginner friendly, great sights, and comfy.
>>
File: AKS74U.jpg (259KB, 2000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
AKS74U.jpg
259KB, 2000x1000px
As long as you don't mind killing the intruder, destroying his getaway vehicle through the wall, and having a good long list of collateral, a Suchka is the way to go.
>>
>>31563224
>beer
I'm thinking of starting again, desu. AM cardio before work or school is more enjoyable when not hungover or just feeling bloated but drinking is also fun. I'm conflicted.
>>
>>31563368
I swim in the morning before work. I love the water and nothing beats it imo. Its the only form of cardio I can stand.

Also helps burn off the beer.
>>
>>31563421
>I swim in the morning before work. I love the water and nothing beats it imo.
dat low impact cardio, my nigga. If I had the option I would too, swimming is a great and fantastic cardio that won't fuck your joints/knees.
>>
>>31563448
My back and knees are what kill me from climbing so much. Weights plus tree climbing = joint death.

Luckily since I am the boss now I don't have to climb everyday.
>>
>>31556946
You are retarded. All guns are unwieldy in close quarters, that's why you train to properly move. If you are holding a handgun properly, you aren't any more compact that a carbine or short shotgun. If you can't open a door with a long gun shouldered, you simply have not trained properly. Recoil control? You mean to tell me a weapon with a stock is harder to manage than a handgun? Once again, if recoil with any weapon is an issue, train better. Overpenetration? Anything capable of reliably stopping someone is going to overpenetrate through most walls. Again, training.

The only advantage a pistol has over a long gun is that you can conceal it and use it semi-effectively with one hand. Unless your home is filled with ladders, or you you might need to fend off brigainds in your back yard from horseback, a weapon you can shoulder is going to be superior. Train close quarters movement with a long gun.
Thread posts: 66
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.