[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Improvised Firearms Type

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 16

File: Sten Mark II.jpg (36KB, 758x409px) Image search: [Google]
Sten Mark II.jpg
36KB, 758x409px
In the World of Improvised Firearms I see a myriad of blowback pistols and smgs, I see a large number of different single shot rifles and pistols. I see multi barrel shotguns, pistols, rifles, and various revolvers. I see muskets as well.

I understand if there are no gas operated, delayed blowbacks, and recoil operation because you need to be a master gunsmith with a lot of time and proper tooling to make those function reliably.

But what I always wonder is why there are no bolt action, lever action, or pump action firearms being made in the improvised setting. I am sure they are simple enough....or are they? Any thoughts?
>>
>>31553773
>bolt action
Plenty
>lever action or pump action
The prior are actually pretty fucking complicated to just make. Pumps are less so, but still...
Open bolt will always be the simplest.
>>
>>31553773
Part of what makes an insurrection weapon effective is capability to be mass produced at the garage level with basic tools.

Lever action and pump action firearms require significantly more tooling and machining to produce.

The ideal insurrection weapon can be made by every day folks in large enough numbers to hand out like candy.
>>
>>31553817
Show me pics of bolt action improvised rifles then.
>>
File: iraimprovisedlaunchers.jpg (71KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
iraimprovisedlaunchers.jpg
71KB, 600x450px
>>
File: image.jpg (143KB, 800x552px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
143KB, 800x552px
>>
File: rg_uvfjailguns.jpg (54KB, 641x507px) Image search: [Google]
rg_uvfjailguns.jpg
54KB, 641x507px
Here is some UVF/RHC men in Longkesh prison with home made slam fire shotguns.
>>
File: 23mm-jaish-al-islam.png (484KB, 642x501px) Image search: [Google]
23mm-jaish-al-islam.png
484KB, 642x501px
>>31555514
Got a couple Syrian AM rifles. Is good?
>>
>>31555628
>>
>>31555628
>>31555635
Well that was unexpected. Are these Anti-Material rifles completely homebuilt or did they take barrels from heavy machine gun parts?
>>
>>31555674
Barrels are from AA guns IIRC
>>
>>31553773
It boils down to the fact that anything that locks requires a close fit and (by garage gunsmith standards) fine tolerances, and that requires tools and skill. Break actions and revolvers are pretty forgiving when it comes to that, and blowback is very hard to fuck up once you understand bolt mass requirements.

You can make a locking action with a lathe and a mill and a lot of skill, but you can make an open bolt smg with an angle grinder, a welder and a little bit of skill, and you can make a .22 zip gun with a steel tube, a wooden block, rubber bands, epoxy and a sub 80 IQ.
>>
>>31555780#
Aside from break action, slam fire, muzzleloader, and revolvers what are some good single shot actions that do not require locking.
>>
>>31556249
Something like a falling block or Peabody action (martini henry) dont need as tight a fit, I think. I have never tested this myself so I'm not entirely sure.

Falling block is also strong af and pretty simple, but you still need a close-ish fit.
>>
>>31556703
What about rolling block and trapdoor action?

Also I heard early bolt actions did not have locking lugs but used their handle to lock the bolt down. Does this count?
>>
>>31555684
>>31555674

I think they're Iranian rifles
>>
>>31556703
you mentioned falling block twice in a contradictory way, did you mistakenly refer to what should have been rolling block or tilting block?
>>
File: Rifle Throw.jpg (292KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
Rifle Throw.jpg
292KB, 1366x768px
Bump
>>
Working on an improvised .22 pistol in bolt action.
Only thing not improv is barrel wich is rifled
>>
>>31559409
When making the bolt, was it difficult? Did it require fine tolerance and skilled milling?
>>
File: And the Lord Said.jpg (64KB, 480x691px) Image search: [Google]
And the Lord Said.jpg
64KB, 480x691px
Bump
>>
File: Chauchat.jpg (32KB, 600x257px) Image search: [Google]
Chauchat.jpg
32KB, 600x257px
Bump
>>
>>31555635
First time I see someone in Syria with ear protection
>>
File: Krikit 25.jpg (718KB, 3168x1782px) Image search: [Google]
Krikit 25.jpg
718KB, 3168x1782px
Are there any other neat little DIY pistol builds like this?
>>
What's the simplest LMG? In terms of being able to be made in a machine shop and number of parts requiring machining. Colt potato digger actually looks pretty simple to me.
>>
>>31562350
Presumably one of the gas operated kinds.

I can see a truly dedicated nigger making a PKM in his garage.
>>
>>31562350
http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2013/10/20/hand-built-submachine-guns-seized-israel-palestinian-territories/

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2016/03/dean-weingarten/homemade-carlo-submachine-gun-plaguing-israel/amp/

The Carlo Gustav guns being churned out in the Gaza Strip are some of the best examples of what you're talking about.
>>
>>31562466
That's a submachinegun, not a light machine gun.
>>
>>31562350
>>31562363
Gas Operation is complex and difficult to produce for garage types.

The simplest LMG would not be an LMG, it would most likely be this SMG that pretends to be an LMG

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Villar-Perosa_aircraft_submachine_gun
>>
>>31562350
You could theoretically make a simple blowback LMG. Just that the recoil might be a bit wild when the bolt weighs 12 pounds.
>>
>>31564146
>12 Pound Bolt

Literally Artillery
>>
>>31564152
>Literally Artillery

I guess that makes the 50BMG version the Paris Gun.
>>
>>31553773
>no bolt action...in the improvised setting

Bolt action rifles are some of the easiest to make, actually, and I've done a few of them.

I 3-d printed a .308 caliber rifle.

I made the lower out of glow in the dark PLA plastic. All I did was make it hold an AR-15 fire control group, put one hole in the back to hold an AR-10 upper, make the front of the lower hold a bolt which goes to the front block, and made a front block which had a hole for the front part of the AR-10 upper.

Didn't even have to space the front/back upper pin holes until I installed the last bolt. My printer wasn't that big anyway.

I remade the front block to hold a bipod. I've now literally 3-d printed a 1000 yard gun, which uses commercially available parts.

There's really no reason not to make guns use commercial parts, as anyone in the US can get them. This means my bolt and the bolt lugs attached to the barrel are all hardened steel, and the whole build cost me about $400.

The thing is, the best improvised firearms in America use commercial parts anyway, to save on time producing, and make sure they've got quality stuff. There's really no reason to improvise and have crap quality stuff, or spend a million dollars on a rifling machine, or thousands of dollars on a mill/lathe/CNC versions of those... There's especially no reason to buy those when you can buy all but one part from someone who has those tools.
>>
>>31564197
>Improvised weapons
>Commercial parts
>>
>>31564197
Wait, how did you make the bolt?
>>
>>31564246

I didn't.

Straight pull. You don't need anything constantly pushing on the back of a bolt carrier for the gun to chamber and lock. Its single shot without a gas system installed.

This shit site doesn't let me upload my picture.
>>
Using commercial parts right now is as improvised as you need it to be.

When those parts aren't available, then, you need to make all of your own parts. Fuck headspacing your own gun if you don't need to.
>>
>>31564318
Straight Pulls always confused me, how do you prevent the recoil from pushing against the bolt and moving it?

Is the bolt tucked in with enough force to prevent the recoil from moving it but a person can pull it?
>>
>>31564374
Hmm nvm I was somewhat imagining a Steyr-Mannlicher M1895 style straight pull
>>
The fact is, you could make a semi auto AR-10 in your garage using a drill press. If you get a polymer lower, it's even easier.

Swapping out the barrel from .308 to 6.5 creedmoor, you'll have a home made semI auto 1400 yard gun that you can clear rooms with.

Why the fuck would you dick with your shitty welding to hold the pressure of a rifle round when you can buy parts with nothing stopping you?
>>
>>31564377

The AR-15 and AR-10 have rotating bolts with 8 lugs that lock into the receiver extension - the thing with bolt lugs that's torqued and pinned onto the barrel.

The pressure is held by one piece of commercially hardened steel with 8 male lugs and one with 8 female lugs.
>>
You guys realize that they're going to cut you off at the ammunition, right? That's one of the first things that anti-gun activists suggest - a limit on the amount of ammunition that one can keep in their household. You'll be restricted to a "reasonable amount" (read: 100 rounds or less) only good for "reasonable activities" like target shooting or hunting. Obviously, there's no way that they could enforce this practically, but it does provide a very good excuse to lock up hoarders/dissidents or any other non-traditional supply of ammo.

This, coupled with the ATF reclassifying certain reloading chemicals as regulated explosives, would allow the gov't to cut off the supply of ammo with only a few bills.

Mark my words - unless you come up with an effective way to entirely homebuild your ammunition supply (no commercial reloading parts), you'll always be one bad election until total disarmament. All the homebuilt subguns in the world will be useless without reliable ammo.

We need to focus on bringing as many people into the recreational shooting community as possible, our political base is dying or becoming culturally irrelevant.
>>
>>31564463
We have two choices

There is the Black Powder route where we go back to paper cartridges, muskets, and if you can Needle Guns. You need Potassium Chlorate for percussion caps.

Or this: http://www.slideshare.net/edgarinventor/philip-luty-expedient-homemade-ammo-handgun-firearms-reloading
>>
>>31564463

The thing is, ammo is still everywhere. You obviously need to stockpile ammo more than you need to stockpile guns.

If you don't have at least 1,000 rounds of ammo for every gun you plan on using in self defense, you're doing it wrong.

If you have 10,000 rounds of ammo, and a couple of AR-15s, you'll be fine to arm yourself and quite a few more people for years.
>>
>>31564502

I agree with you, but I guarantee that virtually every gun enthusiast has left an electronic record of their purchases (I know I have). In the event of a crackdown on hoarding, this record will make it almost impossible to conceal a stockpile.

If the gov't just kicks in a small number of doors and then offers an amnesty in exchange for surrendering remaining stockpiles, I guarantee you that 99% of shooters will comply.

Improvised guns/ammo will not save us. We need to increase our voter base as much as possible in the next year.
>>
>>31564564

Bullshit. As soon as the government starts banning ammo and kicking in doors, people will start exercising their rights and shooting government officials.
>>
No way, it will be the Oregon standoff 2.0 - a big show followed by nothing because the overwhelming majority of people don't want to die for their AR. Credible organized resistance to federal authority will not exist in modern America - at most you will see isolated incidents of terrorism. A Second Civil War would be horrific, even the most die-hard conservative would cave once they experienced the actual consequences of that sort of conflict.

We did this in the 90s - no one put up a serious fight over the AWB. They certainly won't now that Vox, MTV, and Common Core are making anti-gun propaganda the order of the day.

Take all of your friends and family member shooting. Bring as many people into the community as you can and make sure you vote. That's the only way.
>>
>>31564564
We don't know that.

We *do* know if you are told to register shit -- whether guns in New York or magazines in LA -- that perhaps one in seven or eight will comply. And the sort of kill the chicken to frighten the monkey tactics you describe would and will spread like wildfire using modern information technology. An awful lot of people would have their backs against the wall in an awful hurry. We also have no practical empirical evidence on how a War On Ammo would go.

We'll just have to see. We are in uncharted waters, in so many ways.
>>
>>31564631
>We did this in the 90s - no one put up a serious fight over the AWB.
A lot of gun owners didn't even *hear* about the AWB. AR's were scarce. AK's were what the kids were armed with in Red Dawn. And we still had a high-trust society where people would comply even if they grumbled and bitched.

Our skin is a lot more raw now, and there are ten million-plus more AR owners -- me amongst them.

We are going to have to use history as a guide. Including the history we make.
>>
File: 1429395136122.jpg (40KB, 960x960px) Image search: [Google]
1429395136122.jpg
40KB, 960x960px
What are the most indispensable tools for making garage guns, in /k/'s opinion?
>>
File: P5160103_SKS_pistol.jpg (535KB, 2500x1875px) Image search: [Google]
P5160103_SKS_pistol.jpg
535KB, 2500x1875px
>>
File: 1435745381759.jpg (2MB, 2625x1112px) Image search: [Google]
1435745381759.jpg
2MB, 2625x1112px
>>
>>31564702

Grinder, welder, hand drill, Dremel with cutting and sanding bits...

A CNC machine would be nice, too
>>
>>31564803
Hm. Makes me kinda wonder if I could wrangle time out of the local uni on their CNC machine. Maybe it's time to befriend some mechanical engineering majors.
>>
>>31564877

That's what I hope to do.

Invest about a grand in decent electronics, and use a CNC machine to machine out another CNC machine.
>>
>>31564650
This. My dad bought an ar180 when he heard about the ban and a ton of mags. Before he was content with hunting rifles and shotguns. Had he lived to see the sunset I bet he'd be stocked like Sarah Connor.
Thread posts: 56
Thread images: 16

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.