[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

martial arts

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 3

File: 1461232458009.jpg (67KB, 550x512px) Image search: [Google]
1461232458009.jpg
67KB, 550x512px
Hey guys!

I'd like to learn some martial arts but in all honesty I have no fucking clue which "art" would prove itself the most useful in real life situations and not in controlled cage matches.

What do you think?
>>
>>31549342
none
>>
>>31549342
run-away-fu
gun-fu
that's all you need senpai
If you can't do one use the other

this sounds like a joke answer but I'm 100% serious

You don't want to get into fights
>>
>>31549342
The same ones used in those cage matches are the ones most effective on "da streetz" don't let any of the pretenders fool you.
>>
Boxing. You shouldn't be getting into fights either way, but if you know some basic boxing techniques you should be able to put down your average bar agitator and get away pretty easily.
>>
>>31549373
So are we talking mma, brazilian jiujitsu or some whacky krav maga/systema?
>>
>>31549342
Boxing and BJJ. This will teach you how to move\ avoid getting hurt and stay on your feet and how to survive\ end a fight on the ground and get back to your feet. Both focus on sparring\ rolling allowing you to get a taste of what it's like to fight a dude who is trying to actually hit you\ break your arm a little.

The self defense oriented systems that teach you to rip off a groin or whatever (Krav Maga, Rexkwando, Ameridote, etc.) don't work as well because you can't practice that kind of shit full speed and spar without injuries.
>>
>>31549413
Basically MMA, there are some legitimate Krav\ Systema (and pretty much whatever art) guys, but gotta generalize and say Boxing\BJJ focused MMA gym is best.
>>
>>31549416
>Rexkwando

Thank you for laughs and input
>>
>>31549413
Krav maga in the purest sense is just boxing and wrestling minus the sparring that teaches you how to actually apply those skills in a fight.

Systema is slap fighting Russian mysticism bullshit avoid at all cost

Brazilian jiujitsu is probably the most effective ground grappling martial art there is. However, because of that focus on ground fighting they tend to have weak stand up and non existant striking. So like any other martial art you should pair it with something else if you want to be well rounded.
>>
>>31549462
So a mix of bjj and boxing would be a good allround training?
>>
>>31549488
Yes.
>>
>>31549342
There is no advanced style. Just learn.

It's why Bruce Lee was controversial, not sticking to one style. I started as a kid learning Tang Soo Doo. Then later a green belt in MCMAP.

Every fight I've ever been in was less technique, more reaction. I've never lost an all out fight, but have been wrestled to the ground by friends.
>>
File: 1393176588925.gif (2MB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
1393176588925.gif
2MB, 320x240px
>>31549496
well, guess you answered my question.
I'll start training BJJ as soon as possible and move on to boxing in some time.

Thank you all
>>
>>31549348
faggot

>>31549342
philipino martial arts, bjj, muay thai, and krav maga are all pretty good

boxing and wrestling are also great but they aren't fancy or shmancy
>>
File: tumblr_inline_mi8nzb9sTC1qz4rgp.jpg (82KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_inline_mi8nzb9sTC1qz4rgp.jpg
82KB, 500x375px
Suggestions
Start: Kenpo
Then do (Pick 3): Boxing, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, BJJ, Greco Roman Wrestlin, Krav Maga,Jiu-Jitsu, Judo, and watch Systema vids online for the conditioning shit
>>
>>31549342
lucha libre

Why the fuck you asking /k/, a good way to choose is to pick a country's military that you like and do theirs or something similar. If defense is part of the course then EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM WILL TEACH YOU THE COMMON THINGS TO KNOW
>clinching
>how to get someone off of you
>how to not fall on your ass
>how to make it not hurt if you do fall
>how to repeatedly kick somebody in the balls if they threaten your well being
>how to hit someone
>how to keep someone from hitting you
>what to do if youre on the ground
>what to do with your hands so you dont just stand there not know what to do with your hands like an awkward teenager doing a class presentation
>how to throw your wallet at them if you are being mugged
>how to dial 911
>how to de-escalate (some won't if their teachers a sperg)
>how to get into shape
>>
>>31549462
>Systema is slap fighting Russian mysticism bullshit avoid at all cost

Mostly true unless you have some crazy Combat Sambo dude selling it as systema so people don't run away scared. Wish dude was still doing seminars.
>>
>>31549342
>the most useful in real life situations
stop masturbating so much
>>
>>31549462
>Krav Maga
>No sparring
Guess who never trained in Krav...
>>
>>31549519
Learn BJJ, but avoid going to ground at all costs.
You could be Gracie himself, but if whoever you're fighting has a friend (cowards attack in packs) you are going to have your neck stomped.
>>
>>31549511
To add to this:

I have been in out matched fights. I fought a guy and his little brother tried to jump me during it. I bested the both of them.

However I'm not claiming im some badass. Sometimes you have to negotiate your way out of situations. It's often the best way. In true martial arts, any good teacher will tell you first to use your mind. I've talked my way out of more conflicts than my fists.
>>
>>31549610
Yeah, it's one thing to put on a Michelin Man outfit and slap at each other's dicks through 6 inches of foam, it's another to actually make contact and have to react.
>>
>>31549859
Where the fuck have you been that that's considered sparring?

AFAIK the IKMA instructors embedded within the IDF do occasionally use face shields and body protection when doing stress drills (ie. When someone is likely to fuck up and break someone's joint), but I've never heard of it being used in a Krav Sparring match.

I'm ranked G3 under KMG, started with IKMF, training under an E3 KMG instructor.

All sparring we do is full contact, lower ranks will use bags when doing stress drills (no one wants a shattered knee), but we do full contact stress drills.
Basic protection during sparring is a steel groin guard, a mouth guard and common sense.
Basically we won't purposely strike the side of a joint during sparring, and it's up to the people fighting if they go full intensity or use gloves.
>>
>>31549976
SUCH REALISTIC
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hEq615CvL0
>>
>>31550075
Scroll to the bottom.
Krav Maga Worldwide - the "JUST" Krav organisation. They're no longer affiliated or working with IKMA, IKMF or KMG - they teach civvie only and their head instructor stopped training in the 80's.

It's like picking the worst McDoJo as an indicator of BJJ, it just doesn't apply.

What you saw in the video was a pretty pathetic stress test, he wasn't working any angles, he's throwing shit punches, he's not moving properly - honestly what you'd expect from a KM school that was honed in LA.
>>
>>31549342

>under 170
1:BJJ
2:Boxing
3:Muay thai

>above 170
1:Boxing
2:BJJ
3:Muay thai
>>
>>31549610
You'd be wrong. My experience with krav maga was glorified cardio kick boxing plus borderline retarded drills where you chase people around and hammer fist pads while they back away. Also a whole lot of 1000000x hit combos where the "attacker" just sits there and takes it.
>>
>>31549342
Judo works, slamming someone on concrete while remaining standing works wells.
>>
>>31550312
And what organisation was your school accredited with?

If it's anything other than IKMF, KMG, IKMA or SAKMF then it was a scam.

I live in the arse end of the world, and for every genuine Krav Maga school we have, there are ten fakes.
It's so widely faked that half the "experts" on TV are fake. Fucking Discovery channel, THC and the BBC all used "Commando Krav Maga" as their key source on Krav Maga for more than a few documentaries - the dude behind it all never once trained in Krav Maga outside of IDF basic.

If anyone is looking at even trying a Krav Maga school, ask for your instructor's credentials, we all know how widespread fakers are, so we all provide it freely.

A few other things to watch for are flashy bullshit moves - Krav Maga is based on Boxing and Wrestling - if it looks out of place, depends on "pressure points", or has a stupid gimmicky name then fucking get out of there.

One "school" in my area was run by a guy who one day was an Eskrima instructor, the next day a traditional May Thai instructor, then a BJJ instructor, then an MMA coach and on Fridays he thought himself a Krav Maga instructor - he actually taught people that a smart way to disarm someone of a handgun was to jam the web of your thumb and forefinger between the hammer and the slide.
Fakes are that common and are that bad.
>>
Here's the #1 tip to win any fight: CHEAT!

Fuck honor, non of that matters in a street fight. Here's some examples of cheating that will surefire give you an advantage:
>shoot the motherfuckee
>stab the motherfucker
>taze the motherfucker
>baton the motherfucker
>mace the motherfucker
>throw marbles at the feet of the motherfucker
>pocket sand the eyes of the motherfucker
>run the motherfucker over with your car/plane/boat/hovercraft
>hit that stupid motherfucker with a environment object (pipes, chains, rocks, big fukken sticks, etc.)

This should work. Garunteed or your money back.
>>
is systema any good? i've never heard of it
>>
>>31550575
I was 15 years old once also.
>>
>>31550511
So by your estimate 90+% of schools one walks into are shit. This lines up with my experience with Krav Maga. Keep fighting the good fight and the reality may change, good luck.

The reason I suggest BJJ+ Boxing (beyond my own history which includes a couple other things and a fair amount of gym hopping for shiggles\ cross training) is it is incredibly hard to run shitty gyms. There's definitely lower quality BJJ training available, but outright fakes get called out by the community and run out of town. And at the end of the day you're still going to be grappling with a dude. Boxing is similar, even if it's shitty instruction, you're eventually going to throw a brain bucket on and get tagged in the head to find out what works.

If you guys start policing the shit gyms and it's actually possible to walk into a KM school and have a decent chance of not throwing money away to feel "empowered", then maybe I could recommend KM with a straight face.
>>
>>31550825
Mystic hoodoo.
People confused it for Combat Sambo for some reason.

Combat Sambo or even traditional Sambo are both fantastic grappling styles, Systema is A grade bullshit.
>>
>>31550929
gotcha, i'll join Jiu Jitsu. it's the only joint thats the closest
>>
>>31549342
Actual defensive Tae Kwon Doe not olympic tag to score bullshit. and Jiu Jitsu and Muay Thai will give you everything you need to whipe the bar floor with the average douche. but honestly >>31550575 is right. There is no such thing as a fair fight you want to win.
>>
>>31550921
Yeah, we're trying, but we're in the same position as genuine Karate schools were in the 90's.
We're drowning in a sea of rip offs.

We've been working hard to legitimise ourselves, and through rigid self administration we've been able to create recognised levels of accreditation - you can legitimately put KMG G3 on your resume, we provide international qualifications in security, LEO training and military training.
Over the next two years I'm aiming to become LEO trainer qualified - my instructor is LEO qualified and MIL qualified - he's taught several European SWAT equivalents and several military forces have had him (and other instructors) run seminars.

But with every bit of progress we make, organisations like KMW and CKM pop up, like mushrooms after a heavy rain and dilute the industry with lies.
>>
>>31550929
The terms are\ were somewhat interchangeable in America. I'd love a good Combat Sambo school to play around in for a while. There was a seminar every now and then, but haven't heard from those guys. The only Russ martial art option around Atlanta I know of is Systema from some guy who's resume includes "Life Coach" and "currently pursuing the Doctor of Chiropractic" as well as "help students better understand the System and themselves".

I want to learn the backflipping hatchet attack from some no-English motherfucker who smells like gunpowder and whose resume reads "Redacted by FSB".
>>
>>31551100
Yeah, but in all honesty you're not going to get that outside of Russia.
There's a lot of traditional Judo practitioners who are also skilled Sambo practitioners, but depending on where you live, you may as well be searching for tits on a goanna.
>>
>>31551100
>I want to learn the backflipping hatchet attack from some no-English motherfucker who smells like gunpowder and whose resume reads "Redacted by FSB".

i find your ideas intriguing and would like to subscribe to your newsletter.
>>
>>31549342
1)Know where you're at and what is going on around you, avoid dangerous places. If you're really concerned with staying alive on the street, in your store, out on a date or whatever, learn to shoot.

2)If you think you're going to be a barfighter, I'd suggest boxing. BJJ is excellent, but you don't want to go to the ground when your opponent's friends are crowded around.
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.