[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How's the hunting in New Zealand?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 4

File: new-zealand.gif (3KB, 375x200px) Image search: [Google]
new-zealand.gif
3KB, 375x200px
How's the hunting in New Zealand?
>>
Whoops, it's 4 AM there, guess I shouldn't be asking this time of day.
>>
>>31531821
>no seasons or bag limits for large game

IIRC when the Euros came over they brought loads of game species with them to stock the island with. Then, Without any natural predators to keep their numbers in check, the animal populations exploded. Now they have issues with deer and elk overpopulation.
>>
>>31532438
Yeah. So basically, hunting aplenty. I wonder if it's the same in both North and South Island? And if it's hard to get into as an immigrant?
>>
>>31531821
All game is free range, public land hunting is free without permits or bag limits, (ducks and upland birds are seasoned). Its a really chilled culture, but sitting in a blind is highly frowned upon. You have to go out and find the animals. You can usually hunt on private land for a box of beer and a cut of the meat you take. Trophy hunting is pretty much frowned upon if you don't take the meat. Also there is the extreme fun of hunting feral goats, and shooting rabbits (record is 300 in a day with 4 people)

>>31532518
Same for the whole country, easy as for immigrants- Just join the local deerstalkers club and youll meet a few people who will help you get into it

Also Hunting in short shorts is the only way to do it. Pic related, Cant be fucked editing it because my windows 10 crashes whenever I try to fix it
>>
File: 32805.jpg (103KB, 400x754px) Image search: [Google]
32805.jpg
103KB, 400x754px
>>31532609
Why isn't he wearing any orange
>>
>>31532643
Dont have to. But I normally have a camo blaze vest that I slap on- but like I said, Its not a legal requirement. I wear one of public land but this was private land
>>
>>31532609
>Same for the whole country, easy as for immigrants- Just join the local deerstalkers club and youll meet a few people who will help you get into it
But about the gun license - don't you need years of background and two references? How can you get a family reference when you've just immigrated and your family lives in another country?
>>
Breddy good according to this guy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSKAZrv0aBI

Don't expect much in the way of large game though
>>
>>31532643
Only in America is blaze orange necessary to enable you to sue another hunter for accidentally shooting at you.
>>
>>31532748
Where are you coming from? You can tag along with out a license, if you get friendly with a few guys they'll vouch for you (if you're not a fucktard). They can Interview your family if they're overseas I'm pretty sure. I got my license years ago and they've changed it a bit. But Ive been a reference for like 8 people. IF you were moving to Auckland (and If I wasn't currently in the UK) I would help you get into it
>>
>>31532766
His accent is atrocious but I really respect this guy's skill.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Wr7zpwPZ6Q
>>
>>31532785
>Where are you coming from?
EU

DESU I have woodcraft and rifle experience, but no hunting experience at all (just military). But obviously the nature here is very different.
>>
>>31532820
Where exactly in the EU? you would be surprised how similar things are.

Most cities/ Towns have a deerstalkers branch nearby that you can go and talk shit in with us fudds. Even most gun shops can point you in the right direction.
>>
>>31532840
Flat bit of Northern Europe. Lots of forests and lakes, no mountains whatsoever.

I'm not coming yet though, only thinking of doing so in a couple year's time after I graduate
>>
>>31532926
Join some NZ hunting Facebook pages. make some conversation. Look into the deerstalkers assoc. Go to gun shops and ask around. Hunting is very common here (out of cities) so Im sure somebody will take you under their wing. Just make sure you offer a box of beers or fill their vehicle up with fuel as a thanks, it will get you a long way
>>
>>31532958
What if I'll live in a city, where I assume the jobs are? Can I just drive an hour or two out of someplace like Wellington, Auckland or Christchurch?
>>
>>31532969
Yeah if not less. Theres amazing alpine hunting like 2 hours out of CHCH. Hunting within 2 hours of most centers
>>
>>31533042
Sounds awesome, thanks!
>>
>>31531821

Best in the world for deer hunting IMO.

Roaring a red stag in or bugling a Wapiti Bull is intense as is stalking a giant Sambar through pines and toitoi. If you really want a challange try finding the unaccounted for Moose in Fiordland.

We dont know how lucky we are mate.
>>
>>31533084
Is that bounty still standing for the moose? Im keen to chase after it once I head home. Also a good Wap is next on the list
>>
>>31533042
One more, thing, how expensive are Sako brand rifles in NZ? Would it be worth bringing one with me?
>>
>>31533607
Very. I have a 75 which is worth about 2.5k NZ. Bring it over- if its a bolt action you'll be able to get it over easy enough
>>
>>31533639
They seem to be 1500€ and up here, which is almost the same as 2500 NZD, although they have the cheaper A7 model too
>>
>>31533684
Yeah we have the A7. My friend has one in 7mm-08 with a suppressor and its a great gun. The tikka t3 range is extremely popular too. Hunting rifles are really cheap at home, just ARs are expensive but the prices continue to fall steadily
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.