[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Star Wars Project/Laser Defense Weapons

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: 496582372_c25f0041f0.jpg (75KB, 500x498px) Image search: [Google]
496582372_c25f0041f0.jpg
75KB, 500x498px
Hello /k/:

My friends and I had a huge debate on legitimacy of Star Wars Project and Laser Defense Weapon as a whole.

They argue that:
>Star Wars Project is a legitimate project since Obama shut it down.
>That the US Navy has a Laser Defense system on USS Ponce, there for it is and will become a true thing.
>Claiming we can use Space laser/Ground base laser to shot down ICBMs

I argue that:
>The Star Wars Project in general is illegitimate project, instead it was used as a psychological weapon to intimidate the Soviet Union.
>I acknowledge that there is such defense system exists, however I state that it is still in its infancy and it is too impractical to cast judgment.
>I stated that it is possible to shot down mid-short range missiles(ex.SCUD) using laser defense system, however shooting down ICBMs, especially Space base laser, would prove to be difficult, complicated and borderline impossible since there will be too much issues that the system would face(ex. power/energy, planetary interference, maintenance and cost)

Are there any arguments I can throw their way?
>>
>>31530318
What it the ozone layer?
What is fog/clouds?
>>
>>31530325

Care to offer some further explanations?
They seem to think
>Laser is energy, shoot straight, no interference problem....
>>
>>31530336
Space guns would require that we can measure the interferences and deviations caused by such things as the nasty spheres covering our earth from all the shit out there, like the ozone layer or the ionosphere, further more the same effects caused by rain, fog or clouds which is noting else then myriads of little lenses floating around scattering your focussed laser beam.
Which either means that your laser is a fair weather weapon or you'd need a scifi like nine million niggawatt laser so there will still be enough power after the beam is defused.
>>
kinetic energy weapon best energy weapon desu
>>
>>31530437

I tried to tell them that, try to tell them that there is a reason we use Patriot Missile Defense System instead of fucking lasers
But...

>Muh laser

Fucking Star War fag....
>>
Lasers are a nice addition to work proven ballistic weapons
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PV3jfR-FUFc
>>
>>31530498

I am not surprise that this is possible, but using laser to shoot down ICMB is a bit too ridiculous in my opinion.
>>
>>31530534
in my eyes too, firing at 11 km is a totally different business when a target in 40km height a few hundred km away
>>
>>31530551

I swear to god they need to stop worshipping Star Wars

I mean, hell I wish Bolter can became a common use, but at least I acknowledge why it is fucking impossible to make it a reality.
>>
>>31530551

Also

>firing at 11 km is a totally different business when a target in 40km height a few hundred km away

I kept telling them this, but their brain is just stuck at
>Laser is energy, so no interference

Fucking hell, it's like talking 2nd amendment to a libtard.
>>
>>31530600
>Laser is energy

why are you friends with legitimate retards?
>>
File: AnnoyedHouse.png (244KB, 370x280px) Image search: [Google]
AnnoyedHouse.png
244KB, 370x280px
>>31530611

I don't know....
Up till that moment I had considered them to have almost the same amount of knowledge in armory as I in general.

But I guess they don't....
>>
>>31530628
Its not a lack in /k/ related knowledge that makes someone think lasers are not affected by atmospheric conditions.

Its not even a lack of knowing how lasers work (though basic knowledge of how a laser works is akin to basic knowledge of how an internal combustion engine works here in the 21st century)

Its a lack of realizing that LIGHT can be fucked with by the atmosphere. You can notice this on any cloudy day.
>>
>>31530654

I tried
I tried my best

Granted one of them is a fucking peckerwood and the other one is fucking math idiot....
Maybe I need to choose the topic of discussion more carefully next time.

The best part is that they probably will brought it up again next week somehow someway

Fucking hell....
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.