[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

PNV-57 night vision

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 5

File: image.jpg (89KB, 800x557px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
89KB, 800x557px
Anybody have experience with these? I just ordered some for $100
>>
File: russian_night_vision_ON3_as-val.jpg (54KB, 552x800px) Image search: [Google]
russian_night_vision_ON3_as-val.jpg
54KB, 552x800px
>>31529393
not at all
But I would fucking love to get my hands on a set of ON3 nightvision
look at how cool they are!
>>
>>31529393
I can help you get them working if you want, I've helped anons with these units before.
>>
I had gray version of these. Great Gen1. But had some fish eye effect. You can charge with 9 volt battery between the cable center and outer contacts. That will power it for a bit. Or replace the connector for cigar lighter. Not good for fast speeds and need IR light or moonlight to see well at night. Very comfy though with transformer on back and helmet style.
>>
>>31529478
that's a 1PN63 fampai. They show up on eBay every now and again in used condition, buy at your own risk.
>>
>>31529502
o h
I swear they were listed as an ON3 on google images
my bad.
>>
>>31529489
Yes please Senpai!
>>
>>31529567
just throw up a thread when you get them in the mail and I'll be there.

also, don't fuck with them or try to plug them into a wall socket in the meantime, an anon fried his unit once trying to do that.
>>
>>31529638
Thanks bro, will do
>>
>>31529638
NVG guy,

Is there an entry level NVG set you recommend to newbies (Kind of like how we used to recommend the SKS to everyone)?

I'd love to start looking for deals/bargains for NVGs.
>>
>>31529393
>PNV-57
where in the hell did you find these for $100?
>>
>>31533159

>$100

In my country you can buy these for the equivalent of $43, though shipping them to the US would cost more than the equipment itself.
>>
>>31533191
Right on, I hope they work for you
>>
>>31531529
>Is there an entry level NVG set you recommend to newbies?
to be quite frank, in my opinion there isn't really a set "entry-level" night optic. Night vision is a massive mixed bag of excellent optics and absolute junk, and you have to be careful what you buy and how much you pay for it. There are decent, cheaper NV units out there, but they often require modification and tweaking to be truly man-portable.

the safest bet of course would be to buy a new PVS-7, which guarantees you a unit with good performance and a long lifespan. If you aren't willing to pay upwards of $2000 for a set of NVG, here's a list of units that I have found to be good quality for the price. Try to buy in NEW or LIKE NEW conditions, otherwise you may be getting a unit with failing tubes.

- PN-1/PN3 (~$50-$75): Soviet Gen.0/1 passive monocular, PN-3 has an added IR lamp for use on moonless/cloudy nights. Excellent bang for the buck IMO, but quite heavy and bulky for what they are. Western batteries will not fit in the battery trays but you can wire a 9V to the car charging port to power the unit.

- Cyclop-1 ($150-$200) Russian Gen.1+ monocular. Good performance with a unique objective lens. Beware older models with Gen.0 tubes.

- (PNV/PNW)-57A ($50-$125): Gen.0 Soviet/Polish goggles mounted to a tanker hat. These NEED either a very bright moon or an IR illuminator to see. Pretty fun as babby's first night vision goggles, and the tanker hat is pretty bitching. These units were designed to be plugged into special outlets on WARPAC vehicles, if you do not own a T-55 you will have to rig a power source. 9V batteries work well for this purpose.
>>
>>31533653
- PNV-57H ($80-$140): Czech variant of the PNV-57A that ditches the tanker hat for an xboxhueg IR lamp bolted onto the top of the goggles. The unit is powered by a large battery pack that you wear on your belt, it's a cumbersome arrangement but they make half-decent night binoculars. These are powered by low voltage batteries (3.5-4V) so be sure not to use a 9V with these.

PNV-57E ($200-$500): similar to PNV-57A but with larger, more powerful Gen.1+ tubes. Arguably the king of poorfag night vision. They require an vehicle port like the PNV-57A so they will also need a custom power source.

keep in mind that this isn't an exhaustive list, and that I'm hesitant to recommend anything that I have not personally tried and liked.

>>31533159
they normally sell in new condition on eBay for about that much, paying much more than that for them would be highway robbery IMO.
>>
Waterproof power for under $40: Get a suitable 12V rechargeable Li-Ion battery and a waterproof fishing lure box. Put an IP67 cable gland into the box, and wire up the goggles. Put the box in a fanny pack you wear backwards around your waist. As long as your cable splices are heatshrinked correctly, you'd be able to get up to your neck in water/snow and still have night vision. It'd weigh about a pound and a half, maybe 2 if you include wiring up a light on your head to act as an illuminator. Never tried it but I bet it would work.

Links:
https://www.amazon.com/Talentcell-Rechargeable-6000mAh-Battery-Portable/dp/B00MF70BPU/ref=sr_1_5?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1475439238&sr=1-5&keywords=lithium+12V

https://www.amazon.com/Plano-3440-10-Waterproof-Stowaway-3400/dp/B00469G31G/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1475439086&sr=8-2&keywords=plano+waterproof

https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Gland-3-6-5mm-Waterproof-Connectors/dp/B01DBKORO0/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1475439121&sr=8-10&keywords=ip67+gland
>>
>>31534630
In contrast, using a sealed lead acid battery would be 5 pounds at least, but $10 cheaper.
>>
Don't Russian NVGs give you eye cancer?
>>
>>31529393
mine were dead out of the box, I'm actually looking to purchase another unit though. All was not lost though you get a pretty sick helmet with them if they don't work.
>>
>>31534824
>he fell for the radiation meme
every unit I've tested (and I've tested most of the common types) failed to produce X-rays when powered. As far as I'm concerned, the only way you can get Soviet/Russian NV tubes to produce dangerous amounts of radiation is to try powering them with a retardedly-high voltage, and that will burn out the tubes before you'll have a chance for it to damage your eyes.

IIRC the meme started when slavshit NV units were flooding the civilian market in the early 2000s. Domestic manufacturers couldn't compete with the rock-bottom pricing, so a rumor got started that the export units were dangerous.
>>
>>31534964
I heard that some really early versions of the PVS-2 had a thorium ring around the eyepiece, so it would be easier to see at night if it got dropped, or if the user needed to put it to his eye quickly.
>>
>>31535064
yep, many have since had a shield installed that blocks the radiation. Thorium-based compounds were also used as an anti-reflective coating on many optics, but this practice wasn't commonly used with NVGs.
>>
>>31535173
but thorium has an incredibly long half life, that shit barely emits radiation, you get more from your tube tv, don't you? you can carry it in your ass for a year and it won't fuck you up. right? what don't I know?
>>
>>31535283
Which part of
>wasn't commonly used with NVGs
did you not understand?
>>
>>31535283
Eyes are more vulnerable to radiation compared to the rest of the body.
>>
Are there any modern ish NVGs that don't cost a fucking fortune? Like dude, 2k is a lot of money for some thing like that
>>
Are there any NATO Gen1 NVGs available? I don't mind the Sov-Bloc stuff (the PNV-57Es look great), but, I wonder what else is available in or around that price-point.
>>
Someone just offered me a new old stock PNW-57 with the case and spare parts for $150, should I take it? I live in the US.
>>
>>31535565
>Like dude, 2k is a lot of money for some thing like that
2k for a new unit with that kind of performance is pretty reasonable. Forgive me if I came across the wrong way, but I'm not suggesting that you should immediately drop $2000 on night vision. I'd definitely buy a lower-end unit first if only to get familiar with the technology and to see if night vision is something you really want to spend a lot of money on.

>>31536148
Fero-51 and PVS-2 both come to mind. However, it's relatively difficult to find NATO units in unused condition and at a price that's competitive with comparable Soviet units.

>>31536306
see if you can negotiate the price down to $120, $150 is kinda high.
>>
>>31537326
shit, forgot to turn on the trip
>>
File: 20160327_130429.jpg (1MB, 2576x1932px) Image search: [Google]
20160327_130429.jpg
1MB, 2576x1932px
Used to have two sets of PNV57E, sold one. Really like them honestly.
>>
>>31537350
How do you do a tripcode ?
>>
NVG guy, I've had a PNW for a few months now, I'm gonna start with buying the battery in >>31534630 and give it a shot. how do you provide the IR beams? do you just carry a floodlight with the lens duck taped on?
>>
>>31537516
they're pretty excellent for what they are.

>>31537641
(name)#(password) in the "Name" box on a post reply.

>>31537682
>do you just carry a floodlight with the lens duck taped on?
you can if you really want to, I guess. I have a few purpose-made IR lamps since they're not terribly expensive. I'm guessing your PNW didn't come with a little hand-held IR lamp?

btw, if the unit doesn't work at first, check the blade switch on the underside of the transformer. It may be set to 24V instead of 12V.
>>
>>31537682
Go on Amazon and search IR flashlight. There's a few with good reviews. Then, get some thick fabric & thread and sew a little tube on the top of the fabric helmet for the flashlight to slide into and clip to. ...or use hot glue, your choice. Don't bother trying to tie in the illuminator to the 12V "waterproof" battery I proposed, it would be waaay too much work and you could screw something up royal.
>>
>>31529559
The ON3 is a set of NVG's that look super similar but are Generation 1. If you check ebay they'll crop up from time to time.
>>
File: nightowl_notg1.jpg (32KB, 275x205px) Image search: [Google]
nightowl_notg1.jpg
32KB, 275x205px
>>31538678
Looked around, ON3 was the name Night Owl sold a visually similar set of NVG's. That's why the 1PN63 got tagged probably.
>>
>>31538131
>>31538517
bad ass. cпacибo aнoни
>>
>>31529502
what is risky about them?
>>
>>31538875
if you're buying them used, there's the possibility that the previous owner misused the unit and put unnecessary wear on the tubes (which decreases image quality and shortens the unit's lifespan). If I could find an unused example I'd snap it up in a heartbeat, they're a badass set goggles.
>>
File: 1376854322165.gif (63KB, 240x135px) Image search: [Google]
1376854322165.gif
63KB, 240x135px
>>31535565
>Are there any modern ish NVGs that don't cost a fucking fortune? Like dude, 2k is a lot of money for some thing like that
I'm guessing you've never used NODs, or you look at them as some kind of novelty, if you think that $2k is high for a autogated gen 3 unit with good resolution and SNR.
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.