[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Sup /k/ German /k/amerad here. Recently I acquired an old scope

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 10

File: 20161001_094800.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20161001_094800.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
Sup /k/
German /k/amerad here. Recently I acquired an old scope but didn't have any mounts. So since I have neither machining skills nor access to a mill, lathe or at least a drill I decided to click together something in the CAD software at university and print it out.

This first iteration is to find out if the PLS material will withstand 8mm Mauser recoil and if the parts measurements are at least remotely accurate. So far I am satisfied with some minor exceptions.

Two major weaknesses exist: the riser is too large. This is due to my decision to not include settings for elevation and windage, which is the second weakness. The idea was that if the mount fails under recoil with the riser just being a massive part it will also fail if the riser has moving parts for windage and elevation. Also I had no time left, hence just extrudes two rectangles without paying much attention to measurements.

Tomorrow I will give it a try at the range.

Feedback and suggestions for improvements are more than welcome. Especially easy ways to measure slopes and circles

Also diy gun improvements/parts thread
>>
>>31519904
fun project but can't you buy rings?

what company is the scope and what size?
>>
File: 20161001_094814.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20161001_094814.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
>>
That looks really, really gay.
>>
File: 20161001_095139.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20161001_095139.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
>>
Hows german 22 ammo?

>SK
>Wolf made
>geco made
>>
>>31519908
Unfortunately there are no markings. A repro mount wouldn't have been an option since I don't want to cut threads into a 99 year old gun. Hence the clamp as to keep the rifle in original condition.

And if I already print that I can also print my own rings. Maybe if I find something that allows for adjustments I will buy that
>>
Absolutely awful. You'd be better off making it out of fucking wood.
>>
>>31519921
Just recently got into .22s and don't know yet which brands are available. I guess the usual S&B, Geco, Remington, etc
>>
>>31519904
>>31519910
>>31519915

I think you have progressed from chin weld to neck weld. Do you even remember when cheek weld was a thing.
>>
>>31519914
>>31519930
True. Aesthetics will come last. The first goal is to make a design that withstands the recoil.

As for wood, I do agree but just as with my lack of machining skills and machinery I doubt that I will be able to craft things like picatinny rails from wood. If you know a carpenter that will turn an .stl to wood parts for less than 0.08€ per gram just tell me
>>
>>31519904

My only suggestion would be to have a second clamping point. Don't leave all of that hanging off on the end towards the barrel.

Decrease the height of the riser, extend the design out further, add in a second clamp where the sling catch is at. You could design the piece to lock into the sling catch.
>>
>>31519904
thats going to break immediately

regardless a PLA scope mount and rail will be dogshit at holding a zero even if you made it even more Duplo tier and reinforced

eliminate those right angles on the clamp mount and increase the wall thickness by 3-5x.

also why the fuck make it so high. replace the rail mount with a piece of sheet aluminum and have just enough clearance for the bolt to open. also buy real scope rings.

best option is make the front of the scope mount replace the rear sight and mount using the existing pin hole for the rear leaf.
>>
>>31519904
First, way to attempt a thing, you learn from mistakes and you've just learned a shitload.

Now, That is entirely fucking awful. Even if it were somehow sturdy enough and stable enough to be usable, it's way the fuck too high and way too far forward. Figure out the eye relief on the scope (how far your eye is from the lens to get a clear sight picture) and then start working on a way to mount the scope where it can actually be used. Basically turn that abomination around looks like it's be a good start, that riser is just going to need to disappear to get height over bore anywhere near reasonable, but that's gonna be a start from scratch kinda thing.

Clamping around the stock is not going to be a reliable way to index the base, at least incorporate the action\stock screw that I believe your clamp is running on top of. If you had the eye relief for it, you could then tie into the front sight\base somehow to get it pretty stable, but based on your through the scope shot, I don't think that's going to work as a scout scope.

Materials obviously are not ideal, but prototyping, so whatever.

Again, it's good to try things.
>>
File: 000_0039.jpg (64KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
000_0039.jpg
64KB, 1024x768px
>>31519926
>A repro mount wouldn't have been an option since I don't want to cut threads into a 99 year old gun. Hence the clamp as to keep the rifle in original condition.

There are scope mounts that replace rear sight for many milsurp rifles.
>>
>>
>>31519953
Yeah true. My Schwanenhals helps with that. Alternatively I could screw the rail directly on the clamp. But then I can't use stripper clips and have to load each round individually
>>
>>31520011
here
Something like
>>31520020
Should be your goal with that scope, with your materials, you're definitely going to need a second point of support, but you should be able to hit that screw just under the chamber on your rifle and wrap over the top without causing problems with ejection.
>>
pretty fucking good OP desu good job

you can streamline your design by making a design that isnt fucking retarded tho

you know like a design that doesnt include a rail and isnt 6 inches off like rifle

like a custom steamlined sexy design

wow
>>
>>31520026
Yeah you're definitely going to want to do that. You could mount the scope off to the side like pic related, but that's going to be an even bigger pain in the ass to get zeroed. Can't really think of a way for adjustment outside of crazy amount of shims that you can pull off with a printer.
>>
>>31519995
>>31520000
>>31520011
Wow didn't expect quality feedback like that. Thanks for the advice! I will attempt to iinclude this in the next upgrade

>>31520012
>>31520020
I know about these but I've had bad experience with parts that do not necessarily fit and at the same time cost quite some money.
This way I can influence the measurements myself and make sure that everything fits. Still thank you for the reminder
>>
File: M1Dmount.jpg (89KB, 800x520px) Image search: [Google]
M1Dmount.jpg
89KB, 800x520px
>>31520052
forgot fuckin pic. was how they scoped the pingenmeistergewehr as you guys called it.
>>
>>31520043
Agreed, yet as you can read the riser is just a placeholder for a later design that will incorporate options to adjust elevation and windage

>>31520052
Thought about a sidemount. Will suckling for any lefties that I take to the range.
I think with a different top clamp a side mount can be easily realised.
>>
Be better off from the ground up. Make sure you select a spot to clamp on that both tries to minimize heat transfer from the hot reciever and that provides a good forward indexing point to prevent walking under recoil. Perhaps add more reinforcement areas that you could simply glue common metal objects such as pins, nails, sheeting onto, i think the plastic can be too easily deformed at some points.
>>
File: 1469751350319.jpg (45KB, 298x460px) Image search: [Google]
1469751350319.jpg
45KB, 298x460px
>>31519904
thx for wasting taxpayer's money on a scope mount that doesn't hold zero.
>>
>>31520075
I was trying to sketch\ annotate something up with some thoughts, but on a shitty laptop and too drunk for trackpad right now. But as discussed ditch the riser. The whole base\ clamp should stay about right there, but elongate the top half and get a longer screw to run through it and replace the screw in the stock. I'd then fab a new one piece rail\riser about double the thickness of the current rail to run from the front site and cantilever over the action, putting the front ring about to where the clamp\base is. Only somewhat sturdy way I can think for adjustment is still just shimming it and then snugging up all your connectors.
>>
>>31519904
>Especially easy ways to measure slopes and circles
Easiest way to measure circles is gonna be a cloth tape\ a bit of string and a ruler. Slopes become complicated pretty quick but some string and a protractor should help you break it down into something you can reproduce in CAD. I need to get better at that kind of stuff, I'm more of a hack a bit off until it fits kinda guy for most things.
>>
>>31520153
Oh also some graph paper and trace what you can for the curves\ use graph paper and card board to build templates and then measure those.
>>
>>31519904
Hello fellow /k/amerad

Which cad system did you use ? If you use creo do you mind sharing the files ?

Id like to do this aswell

And second question

Are you from north or south germany?
>>
File: 20161001_114854.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20161001_114854.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
Due to popular demand I ditched the riser and moved the scope as far back as it still allows me to comfortably work the bolt. Now I wonder how bad it will scatter or if it remotely holds zero

>>31520084
>>31520153
>>31520155
The for the feedback and advice

>>31520113
I used my own money, brah. Don't worry I will be he only one suffering from this.

>>31520219
Sers /k/amerad. Yeah Creo 3.0. Not sure if .prts will help you since there are a few errors that need to be adressed. You are probably better off starting from the ground up.
South of course. Will you be at the GRA rangeday in Vohenstrauß 08.10?
>>
>>31520239
Much better, can you see through the scope with a decent cheekweld now? Or is the eye relief still too short? Probably goign to end up needing a cheek rest after you get it dialed, but that's pretty common\ expected when scoping a milsurp
>>
>>31520267
It works great. However, I used to aim with my head just far enough back to be able to work the bolt and keep my eyes on target/rifle in the shoulder.
For the full sight picture of the scope I need to get a bit closer but I guess that's ok.
>>
>>31520239
What the fuck did you do to that poor rifle
>>
>>31520347
Nothing, hence this abomination and not a repro mount.

>>31520219
I put the .stls and .prts in my dropbox. Most of it needs reworking but if you have use for a 20 or 10cm picatinny rail that can be affixed with M2.5 holes, the .stls are in there.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/wcn900qhnu1yr9t/ZF-Montage.zip?dl=0
>>
>>31519904
>>31519910
>>31520239
I have nothing to contribute other than to say: Nice Kar.98a Anon.
>>
>>31519904
>>31519910
>>31519915
Interesting but why did you design it so ludicrously high?
>>
>>31520716
Thx bro. The sights aren't as nice as on my K98k but it has definitely the smoothest and most reliable action in my whole collection.

>>31520875
Crappy planning I suppose. I just took the measurements at home and when I returned to the town where I study to make the CAD design I hadn't accounted for the total height. The riser was supposed to be a placeholder for a later and more sophisticated design and should only provide enough elevation to keep the rail from being blocked by the rear sight, or if turned 180° allow loading the magazine. Turns out it was already high enough and the riser wasn't necessary
>>
File: 20161001_164021.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20161001_164021.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
View from the front.

Also to the fellow German that asked about the files for Creo, dropboxlink is in the thread
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.