[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Night Vision Goggles

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 11

File: 03.jpg.png (459KB, 1024x731px) Image search: [Google]
03.jpg.png
459KB, 1024x731px
Who has them? Which generation/model did you choose and why? Is it worth saving up for a Gen 3 compared to a Gen 2? What is the battery life like? How badly do they affect your depth perception? Could you hike up a rocky hill without falling all over yourself? Any other helpful information is appreciated.
>>
only poor fags on tonight?
>>
Gen 3 is awesome.

Had the opportunity to play with a monacle with illuminator and it was bad ass
>>
File: NSP-2.png (83KB, 236x213px) Image search: [Google]
NSP-2.png
83KB, 236x213px
>>31518159
I wasn't going to post since I don't think my units are really relevant to the thread topic but I'll bite since no one else seems to be interested.

>Which generation/model did you choose and why?
I own Gen.0/1/2, all of my units are Cold War-era, nothing modern. I don't do anything with my units besides occasionally using them for hunting or airshit so I don't feel a great need to buy expensive modern tech.

>Is it worth saving up for a Gen 3 compared to a Gen 2?
it really depends on what level of Gen.2 you're looking at. Gen.3 shits on early Gen.2 but modern, advanced Gen.2s provide excellent performance for prices well below Gen.3s. Gen.3 is undeniably dope though, a range buddy let me try his Gen.3 once and the difference between it and my own units is tremendous.

of course, Gen.3 is pretty expensive so I'd definitely try a unit and compare it to a high-end Gen.2 before you make that leap.

>What is the battery life like?
newer units usually have a battery life of at least 24 hours, but it varies based on the unit's type, age (older units generally have shorter battery lives), the gain (the amount of light amplification), and even the ambient temperature.

>How badly do they affect your depth perception?
this depends mostly on a unit's age, older units generally have distortion around the edges of the image. This distortion is pretty heavy on many Gen.0/1 units, but it's barely noticeable on most Gen.2s and virtually nonexistent on Gen.3s. Having said that, I'd say that even Gen.3 fucks with your depth perception, though not to the extent that the older units do.

>Could you hike up a rocky hill
you could, I wouldn't advise it though.

pic only tangentially related
>>
>>31517997
I've got thermals right now, it's fairly low resolution compared to the military stuff but it beats the he'll out of night vision, pic related, the ATN Thor I have.
>>
Newer flir stuff and digital.NV is going to be the future
>>
>>31518857
To add on to this comment, yes it'd pricy at $2000 for a scope but it's so much fun and Im single so I get to buy stupid shit.
>>
Prior milfag here, I love and have a lot of experience with the 14-D, but I'm looking to buy something better. Since I have a credit card with a shit load of credit, what's /k/'s recommendation?

Should I get myself a 3 gen standard, 3A or 3 Pinnacle? The unit will be mainly used to continue prepping muh gear, to hunt, and to continue my /k/ lifestyle.
>>
File: image.jpg (168KB, 700x364px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
168KB, 700x364px
>>31517997
>what generation
Whatever the fuck PVS-14s and up are.

>Did it fuck your depth perception
No not really, or at least I didn't notice.

>could you hike up a rocky hill without falling all over yourself
Yes and no. You can use them for hiking up a very rocky hill if you change the lens focus to about 3-4 feet. The only problem being everything beyond 3-4 feet is out of focus.

The better option is to keep them focused at a far distance, then flip them up enough to just use your natural vision to hike.

The latest versions where a bit more practical- the pvs 31s- but honestly even then it's not like really seeing in daylight. There's still a method for walking under them.

>Any other helpful info
Having to constantly refocus your NODs from near to far fucking blows. The latest stuff is pretty fucking awesome, but I think the civvie stuff is still in "cool but very pricey toy" range.
>>
File: 4.jpg (463KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
4.jpg
463KB, 2048x1536px
>>31519282
I just hike with it focused for infinity and deal with up close fuzzies for hiking. The only time I think you should adjust it for up close is reading or for looking through your pack. With a 14 you still can use your other eye unobstructed.
>>
File: pvs-14-001-ts600.jpg (24KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
pvs-14-001-ts600.jpg
24KB, 600x400px
>>31517997
>Who has them?
I do.

PVS-14 is the "go to" nvg and you'd be stupid to start anywhere else.

Absolutely. Basically any "Gen 3" unit is going to work really well, some better than others, but they will almost always allow you to see in the dark. Gen 2 has a HUGE range from "Yeah this is pretty good" to "What in the fuck did I waste my money on I can't see shit" and it's almost impossible to tell unless you know exactly what you are buying, where it's coming from, what your intended purpose is... And if you are that knowledgeable and committed - you are going the Gen 3 route. It's a Catch 22 - once you know enough to not get fucked by Gen 2, it's likely you would have already found a sick deal on a Gen 3 and gone that way.

Usually 40 hours on a 1 or 2 AA batteries.

You won't have depth perception with just one. With binoculars (PVS-15) you will. Your eye that doesn't have night vision attached to it will try and use moonlight and merge the images to give you some depth perception, but your mileage will vary based on lighting conditions and personal experience.

>Could you hike up a rocky hill without falling all over yourself?
Yep. You will be going slower than you normally would, but you learn how to walk under NVG's. Remember that guys have been using this in rocky and hilly shitholes like the mountains in Afganistan for 10+ years. It all comes down to personal skill and experience. If you slap an NVG on for the first time and try scaling a mountain you are going to die.

>Any other helpful information is appreciated.
Just ask.
>>
bump because need more advice plz
>>
File: 1462365931511.jpg (56KB, 552x510px) Image search: [Google]
1462365931511.jpg
56KB, 552x510px
>>31519945
wait what the fuck

your eotech is backwards nigger
>>
>>31517997
>Who has them?
Me
Gen2+ D300's
Yes it is
Not bad on a single 123A, however I tend to swap batteries very often even without using them up.
The D300 is just ok but the range you can see in the dark is the biggest issue, and the weight for long hikes. I am going to weapon mount the D300's. After playing with PVS14's I should have just saved or built them.
>Could you hike up a rocky hill without falling all over yourself?
Yes, but I would be going slow. Running or jogging would be an issue. I have rode my bike and atv's while wearing them but would not recommend it.
>Any other helpful information is appreciated.
Save for PVS14s or build your own. I am looking into building my own. Also the crye precision skull cap is pretty awesome.
>>
File: 1.jpg (394KB, 2048x1536px)
1.jpg
394KB, 2048x1536px
>>31520575
I have an EXPS3 with a magnifier flipped to the side.
>>
File: stg44_syria.jpg (58KB, 620x444px) Image search: [Google]
stg44_syria.jpg
58KB, 620x444px
Thanks for all the good info guys.

Where is a good site to buy from? It seems that prices vary a lot for the same product.

How long does it take to wear them out and can you rebuild them after they are?

Oh and what is the deal with pinnacle tubes, does that mean the quality of the tubes can vary greatly between the same model?
>>
>>31520795
Nightlong Industries
>>
>>31520795
>>31520800
Forgot to add Tactical Night Vision Company
>>
File: IMG_6440.jpg (59KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6440.jpg
59KB, 1024x768px
Anyone have experience with the Russian PNV-57? Wanna get a pair just for dicking around I think and I love the aesthetic slav look attached to a tank helmet.
>>
Do thermals wear out like NVG's do? Or are they different
>>
>>31519191
save up for it you, tard

Just get BNVG if you want to upgrade from PVS14s
>>
>>31517997
Can you look down the sights of a handgun wearnig these easily? I was thinkin of getting one for home defence.
>>
>>31517997
Why the fuck are thermals and decent NV so fucking expensive?
>>
>>31520893
I own a few pairs of them. They're okay for messing around with but they're Gen.0 active IR so you'll need an IR illuminator to see anything with them.
>>
>>31521236
2 reasons, economy of scale and military economics.

NV tech is already more complicated and expensive to make, this is even worse becuase they aren't mass produced on the same scale as cameras.
Also since most go to militaries they are at mil spec prices thanks to the USs equipment tenders.
Even the ones specifically for the civvie market are expensive since uncle government doesn't want too many of them floating to a bunch of ragheads.

Thermal imaging is all this times ten, since most thermal cameras are really high end stuff for scientific research, so the sort of stuff you would use for military purposes is once again a very small scale of production.
>>
I have a PVS14. I got a great price on it given the quality. It's the highest resolution class with an occlusion in the lower left. The picture quality is exquisite despite only costing $2200 with some accessories.
>>
I have an Armasight Nyx7C which is generation 2+. I bought it because I was able to get a unit with 5 hours on it for only 900 dollars, it's autogated, and because I can stick a 3+ tube in it when it goes. The battery life is fantastic, and depth perception isn't really a problem after the first 10 or so seconds. The one complaint I have is that the mount takes forever to put on, and if you have bulky hair, it slides around a bit and pulls your hair. On everything but a moonless night, I don't need to use an IR illuminator. When I need one, a simple evolva (cheap chink light) works perfectly fine.
>>
File: opurrator.jpg (4MB, 5152x3864px) Image search: [Google]
opurrator.jpg
4MB, 5152x3864px
>>31521236
NV is incredibly expensive and complex
to produce, and is sold in small volumes.
>>31524450
Forgot pic
>>
>>31518857
>it beats the he'll out of night vision
No it doesn't. You probably think that because you've never tried current gen NVG.

Of course mine are like 8K, so it's probably unobtainable for you.
>>
Paging Kanadian
>>
>>31517997
I have some high-end Gen 1, would definitely recommend not buying Gen 1.
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.