[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Been thinking about a mildly tacticool .308 bolt-action that

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 8

File: IMG_9739.jpg (45KB, 640x300px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_9739.jpg
45KB, 640x300px
Been thinking about a mildly tacticool .308 bolt-action that can be used for hunting deer, as well as allowing me to run around innawoods and play out my sniper fantasies. Thoughts on the Remington 700 VTR? Or other suggestions?
>>
>>31514710

I always liked the sleekness and simplicity of the monte carlo stock over the more tactical shit you see on "sniper rifles" these days
>>
Bumping because I'm interested and have 0 knowledge
>>
>>31514710
Stock is flimsy shit and I have a bit of a savage bias after some Remington QC problems, but would probably be okay. Take a look at a Model 10 FCP or those Tikka T3x tacs look pretty nifty.
>>
The triangle barrel is weird, and the factory cut compensator slots would likely prevent threading for a suppressor (if legal in your area).

Otherwise it's a 700. I think they look kinda cool.
>>
>>31514814
Any particular QC issues to watch for?
>>31514826
I do too, and suppressors aren't legal up here in Syrupland.
>>
>>31514959
Mostly shit finishing, both rough machining (not soviet bloc bad, but not good) and coatings that allow rust if you look at them funny.
Have an sps tactical in .223 that wouldn't feed for shit until I basically rebuilt the magazine as well. Nothing huge, but annoying.

That recalling basically every rifle they ever made for safety issues thing shook my confidence in them a bit, even though it was mostly a non-issue.
>>
>>31515014
I guess the coatings thing could just be design, but can't say for sure if they were misapplied or it was supposed to rust that easy.
>>
>>31514710
Rem700 sps-v might be a good idea or the Model 700 Sendero SF.

Throw it in a KRG-xray for giggles or this
http://www.riflestock.com/store/do/product/TRS/25-01-06
>>
File: 20160402_115409.jpg (4MB, 4032x1220px) Image search: [Google]
20160402_115409.jpg
4MB, 4032x1220px
You could look into the AAC-SD. Here's mine
>>
File: 20160812_215754_Richtone(HDR).jpg (913KB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20160812_215754_Richtone(HDR).jpg
913KB, 3264x1836px
My vote is for an AI. I personally LOVE my AE MKII. The newest version is the AT. They are rugged AF, shoot like a DREAM and you can work on them yourself ( instead of having to send your rifle to a gunsmith to get done, and waiting, and over charged for doing it ). Mine has been through the slop and shot when extremely clean. You would be VERY hard pressed to find a rifle that durable AND that consistently accurate. You're gonna cry when you buy it. But when you're ringing steel at 1000 yards with it ( or whatever you want to do ), get use to the absolutely wonderful trigger that they come with and that buttery smooth bolt with the short throw, you won't want to shoot anything else again. Period.
>>
>>31517386
>>31517694
Ah, both of those look good. That's the look I'' interested in. OD or similar stock, bipod, decent optic. I'll fag it up with some fun stuff like cam net later. Question: Is there a real reason why the 700P is like $1300 up here? Is it really worth the extra cash?
>>
>>31514959
>Any particular QC issues to watch for?

If it's a Remington, pretty much everything could be a problem.

Not bad if you are a gunsmith and want to redo everything, or if you're feeling lucky and want to gamble on whether or not your rifle is going to be a hunk of crap.

Or you could save yourself the trouble and buy a Tikka, Howa, or something else with a much better track record.
>>
>>31514710
LISTEN TO ME BIG BOY WHAT YOU NEED IS A HOWA! HEAR ME? HOWA!
>>
>>31518727
WHAT MODEL SIR
>>
I habe a howa 1500. Great little tack puncher. Low cost too
>>
>>31514735
whats so damn tactical about a swelled stock and free floating barrel you numbnuts? Or are you complaining about rails for the peq15 ?
>>
>>31519218
>>31518727
Heard some good things about the Howas, anyone have any more information on them? The 1500's to be exact
>>
>>31519218
OP here. Eh. Not the look I enjoy. Not fond of the "pseudo-pistol grip" look.
>>
>>31519274
They're the same rifle as a Weatherby Vanguard. Kind of a stripped down Mauser action (but what isn't really). They're made in Japan and are generally well made and very accurate (especially for the price) can be hard to find stocked in a store, but they offer many different models in varying levels of Fudd to tacticool. MSRP from 6xx-13xx or so, but can be found cheaper.

Here's their catalog
>>
File: allmydollarydoos.jpg (326KB, 1925x564px) Image search: [Google]
allmydollarydoos.jpg
326KB, 1925x564px
>>31518600
nice AI. my tacticool long range rig
>>
Weatherby Vanguard if you are on a budget. They are made by Howa actually, but they are different rifles. They have a sub MOA guarantee.

Weatherby Mark 5 if you want a magnum caliber rifle and you have the money.
>>
File: 700VTR_2.jpg (199KB, 1080x1080px) Image search: [Google]
700VTR_2.jpg
199KB, 1080x1080px
>>31514710

Mine is .223 but I like it. Stock feels solid IMO.
>>
File: pepe_wojackstare.jpg (11KB, 250x240px) Image search: [Google]
pepe_wojackstare.jpg
11KB, 250x240px
>>31519320

>tfw /k/ is four people
>>
>>31519368
Fuck me, forgot link
http://www.legacysports.com/catalog/howa/
>>
>>31519320
Thats an after market stock. The stock standard stock looks different.
>>
>>31519409
Nah bro, the only differences between a Vanguard and a 1500 are available calibers\ finishes and that guarantee sticker.
>>
It'd be nice if Ohio's durr gun laws weren't so annoying. Straight wall cartridges only.

I have a Savage Axis in .308, a Remington 783 in 30-06, and a Winchester 94 in 30-30. Can't use any of them. Fuckin annoying senpai
>>
>>31520792
>complaining about having an excuse to buy a 45-70
Get a guide gun fgt. Or go full Quigley https://shilohrifle.com/rifles/1874-sharps-rifle/1874-hartford-clone-en/
*Full Quigley requires 45-110
>>
I got mine and a nikon scope for 500 bucks.

>1.5 Moa with almost all ammo, consistent accuracy with about everything
>sometimes 1 moa
>very reliable in sand as i shoot in quarry
>Rugged as fuck stock
>really well designed as well, good grip and free floating barrel
>finish on barrel will scratch other objects before it gets scratched
>loves reloads but is finiky with steel case
>very easy to reload one shot at a time
It is a Howa Ranchland
>>
>>31518600
Are they really worth ~$4000?
>>
>>31521048
>Are they really worth ~$4000

Kind of. You're paying for a guarantee of quality\ accuracy.

You can get the same performance for less with a little luck\ tinkering, though.

So to a LE agency or the military where they need an off the shelf sub-moa rifle with no leeway for a lemon, definitely worth it.

For civilian purposes worth it becomes pretty murky.
>>
Savage Model 11
>>
>>31515024

coatings can very much be influenced by WHAT exactly is used to cover the rifle. Some formulas may require a different process of post-spray care.

The big issue, however is surface preparation. This is the most important aspect of getting anything from a wood stain to a parkarization or chrome job on a gun to not only be A E S T H E T I C , but to bind to the surface and function properly.

If the quality control people at remmington cannot catch double stamping (that shit holographic look) of their own company name on a barrel, or receiver.... then i would say its safe to assume that they are incapable of deducing/solving the issues with surface preparation.

> t. owner of an old and new production remshits with very obvious quality differences.

Also, one of my range buddies has a brand new 870 that is already flaking its coat on the tube and having a rust spot, which is indicative of poor surface preparation due to the way it comes off in FUCKING PATCHES.
>>
>>31520940
shoulda gone with SWFA http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-10x42M-Tactical-Riflescope-P53713.aspx

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRpBxLbxhAo
>>
>>31521421
Rifle performing well with budget scope, no complaints. A wild retard shows up
>Should have spent an extra $300
Fuck off.
>>
>>31519320
Iv got a vanguard 2 tr in 223 i couldnt be happier with. Also got a savage 10fcp-hs that shoots really well.

No remingtons to compare it with though
>>
File: m40-66-twm15.jpg (80KB, 684x384px) Image search: [Google]
m40-66-twm15.jpg
80KB, 684x384px
>>31519268

I like no frills guns that are to the point without all the excess Call of Duty shit that looks good to people who never carried a rifle around in their lives
>>
>>31514710
Savage hog hunter! change the stock if need be.
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.