[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hearing Damage

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 3

File: 1465528835604.png (1MB, 854x1298px) Image search: [Google]
1465528835604.png
1MB, 854x1298px
I just shot 20 rounds out of my AR after neglecting to wear ear protection, which was completely idiotic.

Have any of you ever done something similar? How long before my ear doesn't feel like it's full of water?
>>
>>31514308
What?
>>
>>31514308
It'll be a few days before you are completely back to normal, but you should feel better tomorrow
Try to avoid doing this again in the future
>>
>>31514308
I shot a machine gun for 3 years without hearing protection. I have constant ringing in my ears. It has been this way for 15 years.

I can't claim shit from the Army because my exit physical reported my hearing at 100%.
>>
>>31514331
I'd like to add that you probably don't have permanent hearing damage just from this one incident, unless your ears are otherwise susceptible from previous injury
>>
>>31514308
The ringing gets worse over time. I filed tinnitus under my VA disability claim. I was a marine grunt who's been out almost 6 years.
>>
>>31514331
I'm never doing it again if I can in any way help it. Even if there is hearing loss, I just hope my ear will feel normal again soon.

It's been about an hour, and I'm getting occasional ringing and it's felt like it was full of water since I did it. I think part of what I'm feeling is anxiety, but still...it just feels kinda stuffy.
>>
>>31514348
>>31514374

I'm hoping that because it was 20 rounds that it won't be enough to fuck me up like that. I can imagine getting some hearing loss from this, but I'm hoping nothing else.

Years of shooting my k98 and .22 without earpro was never bad at all, but this seems a lot worse somehow. Must be the velocity of those 5.56s.
>>
>>31514331
It's already starting to feel slightly better, still shitty, but better than it was.
>>
>>31514404
Lel. Fucking retard.

A single shot from a full power rifle will permanently damage your hearing. You could say every shot takes 5% off from your hearing.
>>
>>31514308
I just shot 40 rounds out of my fal and about the same out of an ar, and 8 makarov with no earpro. I'm almost back to normal.
>>
>>31514700
So after about 15 minutes of battle every serviceman in all of ww1 & ww2 was completely deaf? Are you actually retarded?
>>
>>31514308
>Shot guns constantly in reserves, including loads of fibua, always wear at least one bit of earpro
>Do a couple days of fibua ear pro keeps falling out
>Permanent hearing damage

Take it from somebody who knows, don't do that again, I can't hear certain sounds anymore and randomly get loud ass ringing in my ears
>>
>>31514308
I ran a couple mags through my BHP just to see what it would be like.

It was acutely unpleasant but I wouldn't say painful. Afterwards my ears felt a little numb and my hearing was slightly muted. Went back to normal (far as I can tell) in about a day.

Welp, now I know. I sure as shit wouldn't want to shoot sans earpro ever again. And I'd really like to get a pistol with a can for in-home defense.

Hearing loss runs in my family and I'm kind of an audiophile, so I'm slightly paranoid about my hearing, after having done that dumb stunt once I never want to again.

I wouldn't chance a high-powered rifle even once, to be quite honest with you, brethren.
>>
>>31514700
yeah man thats why every single solider who served in combat in ww2 was completely deaf after four minutes of fighting
>>
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
>>
My buddies and I have a tradition that the first shot out of your new gun has to be without earpro.

I only have 3 guns so I'm a-ok.
>>
>>31516305
Different anon but it does permanent damage, what you're doing is thinking it's significant damage when it could be something like a paper cut. The thing is you get a paper cut equivalent that's permanent and it compounds adding up the more it gets damaged. Even a paper cut might be exaggerated but it's just a metaphor.

Even with ear protection an AR can be loud enough to make your ears ring so I wouldn't worry too much about it being permanent irreversible damage if it was outdoors. Just give it a few days to clear up ringing.
>>
>>31515763
>>31515775

I'm at the point now where my ear just feels stuffy: no pain and hardly any ringing anymore; just feels like I went swimming and got water in there.

I can't imagine what it's like for guys that have had to shoot guns indoors, cos I was just shooting my AR in an open field.
>>
File: installed2.gif (175KB, 800x413px) Image search: [Google]
installed2.gif
175KB, 800x413px
I shot 1 round out of my Armalite M15A4 that had a compensator on it. RIght ear EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Wont ever do that again.
>>
>>31516436
Indeed. Prolonged exposure will ruin your hearing but 5% permanently is just silly
>>
>>31514308

One time at a range where you walk to a set distance, instead of hanging your target at a set distance, one of my earplugs fell out and I continued shooting with prolly 6 other people around me. I've also been to a few concerts where the speakers had my ears ringing for several hours.I don't think one instance like that is gonna be detrimental in the long run. I don't have tinnitus if that's what you're worried about.

In answer to your second question, should go away in a day or two.
>>
>>31516421
That's fucking stupid
>>
It'll be fine. I shot about a 120 rounds of 7.62x39 because I had an extra chromosome on shooting day and thought I'd be ok. Was nearly deaf for a day and had the EEEEEEEEEEEEEEE for almost 2 days. I learned my lesson
>>
My left hear rings constantly. I made myself start wearing earplugs when I was a hunting as a kid. Nobody that I knew wore them. Pretty sure I got made fun of because of them.

My dad went deaf because of growing up around loud engines on the farm. I'll probably end up the same way. At least Cochlear implants exist.
>>
>>31516886
It's not stupid if you intend to carry or use said gun alot, or at quick notice. Good to know how loud some guns naturally are. My hearing is ok, I've shot a lot of guns without ears. But don't make it a habit to do that often..... I try experiments as well. Don't be a fool, earpro is cool.
>>
>>31517464
From the ages of 6-16 or so I shot clay pigeons with my family every weekend for a few hours with 12 gauges, without earpro. And also sighted in hunting rifles near deer season w/o it.

I hate that they taught me to just deal with it.

The EEEEEEEEE is just something I have to tune out now. I use a loud air blower to cancel it out when I go to sleep. Its hard to sleep anywhere that I don't have a constant noise canceling sound going.
>>
I have a buddy who doesn't believe in ear protection when practicing. His reasoning? He won't be wearing them in a real-life scenario. He told me that he enjoys the ringing in his ears. Weird, right?
>>
I hope you enjoy the sound of EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.
>>
Fired a 1911 magazine without protecting once. Realised I fucked up after the first pop.eeeeeeeeeee

Was in a match so has to finish the mag. I'll never forget again.
>>
>>31514308
Yup went def in one ear all day and a little next day but after that i was fine
>>
>>31514308
>shooting with dad and dad's friend
>dad has a 7.5 inch SBR with a suppressor but doesn't like the suppressor on it because it puts it back to almost normal length
>insane muzzle flash and noise
>dad's friend thinks he'll be fine if he just covers his ears
>ringing for next week
>>
For the guys complaining about no ear protection, I found your soulmate;

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crime/firing-ar-15-horrifying-dangerous-loud-article-1.2673201

You fucking pussies.
>>
>>31517768
It's not about being terrified. It's about ruining your hearing.

People are more or less affected by it depending on their genetics. Having seen people in my family go deaf I know that I'm susceptible to it.
>>
File: 1433808633572.jpg (76KB, 780x520px) Image search: [Google]
1433808633572.jpg
76KB, 780x520px
>>31517768
>I'm so tough I'll willingly subject myself to permanent hearing loss
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.