[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Forward Assist on an A15/M16

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 6

File: Bolt assist.jpg (194KB, 1000x532px) Image search: [Google]
Bolt assist.jpg
194KB, 1000x532px
We all know why the M16 got a bad rep. during its early service time in Vietnam and as a result the forward assist got implemented. But is it necessary in a modern variant that gets maintained propperly with modern parts?

>Have you experienced situations where you needed it?

>Have you shot thousands of rounds and never needed it?

>Is it too bulky and for your needs?

>Is the forward assist a weak point for other malfunctions?
>>
I'd rather have it and not use it often than need it and not have it at all.
>>
File: WP_20160405_004.jpg (1MB, 3072x1728px) Image search: [Google]
WP_20160405_004.jpg
1MB, 3072x1728px
>>31488250
Yes
Yes
>>Is it too bulky and for your needs?
No
>>Is the forward assist a weak point for other malfunctions?
No
>>
>>31488399
Were you using old milsurp or a new high quality manufactured AR?
Because I don't think its needed on a new made AR thats not completely trash. If a round donesn't feed its usually some sort of restistance that would require you to clean the gun/ammo anyway.
>>
>>31488450
I was using a build I made myself with almost entirely new parts, shooting new production brass ammunition, with a surplus 20 rounder magazine that was in superb shape. The rifle in question had been cleaned the night before the range trip.

I have also had it happen in my much more modern middy build that's had about $1700 poured into it using brass out of PMAGS.

ARs are machines, and therefore, at least very rarely, some things will go wrong. If having something as harmless as an FA can make rectifying that issue whenever it arises as simple as pressing my thumb against a button. The issue was much more pronounce when I used bare steel cased ammunition like Wolf.
>>
>>31488285
thread/
>>
>>31488285
This.
>>
>>31488250
how else are you going to charge the rifle :^)
>>
>>31488450
"I don't think". Maybe you should do a little more of that.

A forward assist isn't absolutely necessary but name for me one downfall of having a forward assist.
>>
>>31488250
I remember having to use it once on my AR

Other than the one hiccup, yeah

>Is it too bulky and for your needs?
It's kind of iconic to me, doesn't really add anymore bulk than the CH or the deflector

How could it be any worse than the ejection port...?
>>
>>31488285
id rather a gun that doesnt have a retarded charging handle design and a crutch to make up for its shortcomings
>>
>>31488450
The entire point of the forward assist is to have a way to interact with the bolt, surprise, in a forward motion. It's a consequences of non reciprocating charging handles, which generally, unless there's some fandangled feature to do so, only allow you to draw the bolt back.

There's no reason NOT to have something that ensures the gun is in battery, and yes if something is obviously obstructing the firearm to the point where you need to mash the shit out of it to get it into battery, it may be better to rethink what's going on actually clear or assess the obstruction.
>>
>>31489266
AK fags need not apply. Stay in your general.
>>
File: IMG_0013b.jpg (54KB, 640x427px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0013b.jpg
54KB, 640x427px
>>31489305

Explain one reason why ditching the traditional AR forward assist for pic related isn't a good idea.
>>
>>31489367
Besides the fact you're cutting open a receiver that's entire upside is being well sealed, to pay extra for a receiver that offers 0 additional benefit and removes the ambidextrous nature of the charging handle?
>>
>>31489367
but now i can't close my cover thingy.
>>
>>31488250
Doesn't South East Asia have a lot of insects? Maybe they were flying into the chamber.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEteC_M1154
>>
If I ride the charging handle on my 300blk pistol I may have to bop the FA to get into battery. That's about the only time. If I ride my "precision" AR handle without a forward assist, I can usually just pull the handle back an inch or so and let it go which fully seats almost all the time if there isn't something very wrong...
>>
Shit thread, OP. Kill yourself. The forward assist is clearly useful due to the nature of the AR15's design where you CANNOT slap the bolt and it lacks a high powered mainspring/ large bolt

Also you guys are autistic 'MUH MODERN VARIANT' its the SAME FUCKING RIFLE but a slapdick put rails on it, nothing fucking changed inside.
>>
>>31489367
How hot do those get?
>>
>>31489367
The big problem with those designs is the charging handle is just simply in a shity position. And they get snagged on everything/stab you because of it.
>>
File: 1445106285233.jpg (69KB, 800x533px) Image search: [Google]
1445106285233.jpg
69KB, 800x533px
>>31489500
>HE CHAMBERED A WASP!
>>
>>31488250
If this is a pseudo thread because you want to know if you want to buy a ar with a slick side upper....
>>
>>31489224
do you always comment on things you know shit about and don't even read the OP.
>>
>>31489500
>leaves muzzle in the dirt.
Sure why not, I mean your shits already malfunctioning because of a wasp so why not? REEEEEEE
>>
>>31489367
>you now have reciprocating charging handle on the left side
>not ambidextrous anymore
>receiver now has an extra slot cut in the side, making it weaker and less rigid
>proprietary bolt carrier
>no more dust cover so shit can readily get in the the action

tl:dr
it's fine for range toys, it's a terrible idea for a serious use gun
>>
>>31488285
I'd rather not have extra weight and one more way for junk to collect in my chamber.
>>
the ar-15 charging handle and forward assist is inherently stupid. its a bad user interface. it requires another device on the weapon to "assist" it. its an over engineered gimmick. theres a reason that new popular rifle designs dont have a buffer tube, stupid charging handle, forward assist, and little flappy flap.
>>
>>31488250
I always got told that the forward assist is a great way to turn a minor problem into a major problem, and that you can use your finger to shove the bolt forward if you ever needed to do that anyways.

Meanwhile my grunt buddy tells me that what they do in case of a sudden jam is to drop the mag, rack the charging handle, and slap in a new mag.
>>
>>31490963
>theres a reason that new popular rifle designs dont have a buffer tube, stupid charging handle, forward assist, and little flappy flap.
You're right, if they designed a rifle with all that it would likely be using the stoner gas system as well.

So it'd just be an AR15.
>>
>>31488250
i frequently use it on both my .223 ARs

sue me
>>
>>31488250
My M16A4 in basic training was shit. High chance of jamming. The forward assist was actually useful a good handful of times.
>>
>>31489500
Holy frikking kek
>>
>>31490908
>extra weight and one more way for junk to collect in my chamber.
Are you talking about a retarded side-charging conversion that opens up the receiver a shitload, because an FA does fucking neither of those things...
>>
>>31491002
>nd that you can use your finger to shove the bolt forward if you ever needed to do that anyways.
I'm going to not say anything and let others deduce how this is fucking retarded.
>Meanwhile my grunt buddy tells me that what they do in case of a sudden jam is to drop the mag, rack the charging handle, and slap in a new mag.
Did your POG buddy even into SPORTS?
>>
>>31491983
>Did your POG buddy even into SPORTS?
I'm the POG, not him. They don't use SPORTS anymore dumbass, which you'd know if you weren't a civvie your whole life
>>
>>31494178
>They don't use SPORTS anymore dumbass
Bahahaha, okay, they just jettison an entire mag
>>
>>31494594
If you have a jam, it is probably the mag.
>>
File: mr.dad.jpg (146KB, 507x528px) Image search: [Google]
mr.dad.jpg
146KB, 507x528px
>>31491002
>I always got told that the forward assist is a great way to turn a minor problem into a major problem
That's a meme I'm afraid.
>, and that you can use your finger to shove the bolt forward if you ever needed to do that anyways.
And that's a meme that's a great way to prank your moron friends to burn their thumbprints off.
>>
>>31490820
It was neither-dexterous before. now you can charge the gun without punching yourself in the face
>>
>>31488250
When I was breaking my AR in I needed to use it a couple times, but after a few hundred rounds and cleaning i haven't needed it
>>
>>31489367
I would do it if it was on the other side.
>>
>>31489507
Except for the twist rate, gas system length, buffer weight and spring. But you know, nothing.
>>
>>31494922
If my rifle isnt hot i almost always use the bolt scalop to push my bolt home.
>>
>>31495124
>If my rifle isnt hot
Exactly.
>>
>>31495161
Even then, you could get by if you had gloves
>>
>>31495242
Or, you could just press a harmless button with your thumb that does the job perfectly and allows you to not take into consideration whether the BCG is hot or if you have gloves, all while also allowing you to keep your hand where it needs to be, .
>>
>>31495311
Relax, im just saying that youre not screwed if it is hot.
I like FA, but could live without it.
>>
File: WP_20151213_007[1].jpg (2MB, 1728x3072px) Image search: [Google]
WP_20151213_007[1].jpg
2MB, 1728x3072px
>>31495333
> im just saying that youre not screwed if it is hot.
I know I'm not, I have an FA.
>>
>>31495347
-.-
>>
I used the forward assist often after shooting a lot of dirty blanks in training. Often 2k rounds a day were expended breaking contact, ambush and bounding over watch.

In Afghanistan needed forward assist after lots of tracer fire during one particular TIC.
>>
>>31488250
IDF bro here. Used the thing multiple times to solve stoppages that otherwise would have taken significantly longer. I'd keep it.
>>
>>31496082

Should I buy an X95?
>>
>>31496679
Haven't used one, but based on what friends have said, it's quite good. The bullpup is a love-it-or-hate-it deal, guys trained on M16s didn't like the balance and handling of the Tavor, and vice versa. I know some older guys who were trained on Galils and hate the M16 handling- particularly the straight mag insertion.
TLDR if you like bullpups, probably yes.
>>
>>31497330

Noted, thank you.
>>
>>31494974
>It was neither-dexterous before
are you a retard? You can release the claw and cycle the rifle with the t-handle just fine. On my ak I have to do that stupid tild-reach-over or under etc.
>>
>>31489507
Did you learn this at Call of Duty?
Thread posts: 57
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.