[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Help me, /k/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 3

File: Capture.png (866KB, 481x850px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
866KB, 481x850px
I fucked up big time and have this piece of shit AK that was offloaded on me. I thought I could fix it but this shit just isn't working. There's some kind of paint epoxy all over it and I've tried using paint and epoxy remover with little effect. Is there something else I can try or what. I was thinking sandblasting but I don't have a sandblaster. Can I ship it off somewhere where they will fix it? I just want it in working condition and not looking like complete trash.
>>
>>31480648
You can sell it to me if you're fed up with it.
>>
Sell it. Someone smarter than you will take care of it.

Or. You could try getting it sandblasted. As for a local /k/unts help.
>>
What caliber? What make? I think sand or bead blasting it would work, then just use a bake-on finish.
>>
>>31480724
<Ask
>>
>>31480648
Are you the same guy with the bed liner coated AK? If it started as a good AK them just put in the hand work to get rid of it all. It's far from impossible. Look up what bedliner is made of and look up what chemicals strip the compounds in bed liner.
>>
>>31480758
I'm not that guy, but this situation seems to common enough. I think I am just gonna buy a sandblasting gun.
>>
I'll give you $300 for it if it has furniture
>>
>>31481048
it has black polymer furniture but im gonna try and fix it on my own.
>>
another option- its a cheap as gun you got for free (im assuming). paint it camo and shoot it a lot.
is there anything else wrong with it other than the finish?
>>
>>31481444
I can give you an email address if you want too keep it in your back pocket when/if you give up.
Do you happen to live in Texas?
>>
>>31480648
any idea on what it actually is? would be a shame to spend a week fixing it only to find out its an io under all the paint
>>
>>31480648
Aircraft paint remover
>>
>>31481487
It's a Century M74 built off a bulgarian kit, very slight cant on sight but that's it.
>>
Try brake cleaner or carb cleaner. I've used it to get a lot of stuff off.
You can look for it at any auto parts store.
Lacquer thinner might work also
>>
>>31480648
Soak it in concentrated ammonia. You can buy it at hardware stores
>>
File: photo_2016-09-27_15-30-30.jpg (153KB, 720x1280px) Image search: [Google]
photo_2016-09-27_15-30-30.jpg
153KB, 720x1280px
So far I've tried the epoxy remover, but I am gonna give the brake cleaner a try.
>>
too bad its not an arsenal. you can just use bug spray and the finish comes off
>>
Welp, brake cleaner doesn't seem to do much, even though it's acetone.
>>
>>31481521
>m74

Better go get it headspaced before you waste any more time on it.
>>
epoxy sucks yo. its practically impervious to everything.

you could try letting it soak in some strong alcohol for like a week, but its probably goign to need a lot of tlc with a scrapper.
>>
Has OP decided to sell yet?
>>
>>31481708
You need to physically remove epoxy if you don't want to wait the better part of a decade. Get it bead blasted. If that doesn't work, move up to sand.
>>
I don't know if I want to sell it yet. I want a salt rifle before all the prices go up. If I can keep this rifle and restore it to good condition, then that's what I want to do.
>>
blast it, or hit it with a wire wheel or scuff wheel on a grinder.
>>
>>31483606
Okay, ill stop haggling you to sell then.
Get a pick, like an o ring pick, a very sharp flat knife, and a lot of carb or brake cleaner. Dont worry about the original finish, just dont dick up the metal. Work slowly and carefully, then when you're done IN A WELL VENTILATED SPACE chemical strip and re-blue the whole thing.
>>
>>31483701
Almost forgot.
Flat knives are called putty knives by normal people.
Dont ask.
>>
Yeah, thank you for the info, I'd sell it if it weren't my only rifle, but yeah.
>>
>>31481530
if you do this make sure you cover your mouth and eyes, that stuff isnt good for your hot bod
>>
>>31485237
When I was first spraying it down with epoxy remover I learned this the hard way. Gonna be ordering a sand gun and some media to blast it, gonna be covering my mouth and eyes then too.
>>
>>31481608
brake cleaner won't do anything, brake fluid on the other hand...
also, i've had some good luck with this stuff
>>
Brake fluid.

It doesn't harm metal but it eats the fuck out of paint and glue. It's nasty as fuck.
>>
>>31481764
>Get it headspaced
Just replace the fucking barrel if you're going that far.
>>
>>31480648
Sand smooth and paint.
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.