[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hand tool lowers

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 6

File: maxresdefault.jpg (467KB, 2726x1536px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
467KB, 2726x1536px
Has anybody completed an 80% lower using only hand tools?

I've seen some guides online. I am a city guy and my career doesn't involve working with my hands at all, so I'm nervous I would build one and it would explode in my face. I don't have a drill press and live in an apartment so I have limited work space, but this seems like a really cool project

Any tips? Any guides you recommend?
>>
>>31476875

It's do-able with only a hand drill and a dremel, it will just take longer and you'll need to be patient.

lowers wont explode -- they're most likely to just crack at the back of the pistol grip area.

don't let the horrorshow pictures some anons are about to post dissuade you -- building your own firearms is a very rewarding experience, even if it's not going to win any beauty pageants.
>>
File: 1473299732109.png (246KB, 3198x3493px) Image search: [Google]
1473299732109.png
246KB, 3198x3493px
>>31476901

Oh I'm not worried about it looking ugly. In fact, I have a soft spot for ugly firearms.

I want the satisfaction of having built it myself, that independence of circumventing the usual path of having to buy. I want something functional that will last, but most of all 100% safe.

It's just that I am a mechanical retard, a complete city slicker with regards to manual labor. I can barely work with tools sadly. So I'm afraid I'd try to build it and accidentally an hero myself
>>
>>31476923

Well, buy a few then, so you can fuck up and not have to wait a week for another to come. Polymer 80s are certainly cheap enough.

The hardest part by hand will be milling out the fcg pocket with a dremel, but it is do-able.
>>
>>31476992

Is there a safe way to test your final product once it's complete?
>>
>>31477096

AR15 lowers won't effect safety of a weapon, they'll only break if you've made their walls too structurally weak. By break I mean break, not like explode or anything. Aside from that the only other things you could fuck up are the FCG holes -- get them in the wrong spots and it won't fire, too far up and the bolt wont cycle, and too far down and it may not hit the firing pin. All of those are totally 'safe' malfunctions. You will not die from your AR 80%.
>>
>>31477278

Good to know. I value keeping my face intact
>>
>>31477096

Lastly, consider your apprehension here. You're worried about safety, its legitimate, but do you think bubba in his garage thought about that at all? There are mouth breathers out there who have built ar 80%s with way less caution and skill and fortunately/unfortunately they're still around
>>
File: tumblr_nm3lnjPO011sjbxzvo1_500.jpg (107KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nm3lnjPO011sjbxzvo1_500.jpg
107KB, 500x500px
>>31477314

Oh I know it's not rocket science, I just know that I'm not skilled in this stuff yet so I want to be cautious about it
>>
File: 1473278094004.png (12KB, 600x375px) Image search: [Google]
1473278094004.png
12KB, 600x375px
What is a good brand or website for polymer 80% receivers?
>>
I finished two lowers with a hand drill and a router (and a router jig). The hand drill was a mistake. At least use a drill press.

I tried a dremel instead of the router on a polyer lower. I changed my mind really quick.
>>
>>31478311
polymer80.com
>>
never done poly lowers but ive done a couple aluminum lowers with a hand drill and router. Im not retarded, but have limited skill with power tools and mine turned out fine.
>>
File: 6xfhM6b.jpg (345KB, 1151x1579px) Image search: [Google]
6xfhM6b.jpg
345KB, 1151x1579px
>>31479247

Why?

>>31480386

How difficult was it?
>>
i recently just did the cutting and drilling on one of these. I also installed the parts kit for the receiver. so far the trigger works. it takes magazines easy and the size is nice in my hands. If you don't have a drill press then this is a very easy build to do with a dremel and drill.
>>
>>31476875
My drill press couldn't mill so I finished one off with a dremel. Took a few hours every day for about a week, never again.
>>
>>31482519

That doesn't sound too bad. Was it aluminum?
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.