[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

BOB Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 13

File: IMG_7055.png (785KB, 1622x977px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7055.png
785KB, 1622x977px
Anyone have some good guides or infographics on building a good bug out bag? I'm kinda new to this, also any good bags you can recommend?
>>
>>31470699
The best idea for a BOB is to tailor it to what you want out of it. For example if you want to prepare for a car break down in which you go on foot, then the bag would be different from a winter car kit designed to keep you alive in the car as emergency services cleared the snow.

>during snowmageddon people in Boston were stuck in their cars for up to 48hrs!
>>
>>31471194
>Boston
Buffalo, NY, sorry.
You aren't walking anywhere there without snow shoes.
>>
>>31471194
Yeah I second this guy, what is it you are planning for or are common threats in your area? Then maybe we can help.
>>
>>31471194
>>31474246
I wasn't thinking like a SHTF scenario, I live right next to the cascade mountain range in the PNW so I'd probably go innawoods there
>>
File: 1464724656638.jpg (165KB, 780x936px)
1464724656638.jpg
165KB, 780x936px
>>31474802
SHTF or not BoB works for both things. A BoB isn't a permanent thing it's only designed to last a few days, not forever.

If you are planning on going innawoods for a SHTF scenario then you already need to have started stockpiling supplies at your designated location (I'm not going to go to into why I don't like the idea of going innawoods as I'm planning on bugging in)

A BoB is designed to last a few days: during an emergency (Katrina), to get you to your bug out location, or in my case to bug out if my home is compromised regroup then retake my home. I'll post my kit list from the other day if you feel like it will help?
>>
>>31474802
>I live right next to the cascade mountain range in the PNW so I'd probably go innawoods there
... Do you have some place to go or...?

Seriously if you're going to the fucking mountains you're probably going to go there for a long time, right? If you don't have a destination and this is your serious survival plan then you've fucked up if you didn't think about where. If you're living in the middle of the woods you're going to need a long-term food solution which means you had better bring some seeds. Relying on local flora and fauna is a retarded plan, for one hunting and foraging take up far too many calories than you gain (and thus it should be on an opportunity-based system) and for two all the other people with similar ideas are probably going to ruin that for you. Once you rely on the local ecosystem for food you become part of that ecosystem, so if a bunch of apex predators with guns deplete the food supply then most of them will starve. If this is the first time you've considered this there is literally zero evidence that you'll be one of the few who will make it.
>>
>>31474917
Never mind this guy pretty much explained why I don't like the innawoods plan, not to mention even with seeds cultivating crops on a mountain or in woodland is fucking hard due to roots from trees or shallow soil depth due to gradient.
>>
My BOB over the years just keeps getting smaller and smaller and more tool based. My main survival strategy is working with wood and dirt and killing shit, so more room for ammo and some essential tools. I want something that can dig, something that can cut big like a motherfucker, something that can cut small, and something that can cut sharp. I still take some food but I look more at emergency type food. I think its more important to become self sufficient and maybe starve a little bit getting there than just use up all your weight/room on MREs. I guess I'm talking more an INCH bag than a BOB or 3 day bag. The other guy is right, a car bag, a my house is on fire bag, an emergency travel bag, all different than a grab sks go innawoods bag. Anywhere heres some of my important items and why:
>lensatic compass(dont get lost)
>paracord(tie shit, fuck weaving grass)
>small pickadze(adze end can be sharpened for use on wood, canoes n shit, pick can break up hard dirt, adze can do more detailed digging than a shovel, a scoop/shovel can be made out of wood to more bigger dirts)
>axe (100% most important tool, dont get a fuckin fiskars)
>kukri and bowie( i like both, my bowie is the kabar bk9 so its really just a fuckin pointy slab of steel, i see it more as something i can always whip out and utilize, like an extention of my arm, i just find it very handy to have a big knife always ready when working on shit. also better for batoning/splitting/shaving. the kukri i keep more reserved as a tool and a backup. its good for a lot of work that a hatchet or machete would do and can be used as a pull knife in woodworking or as a weapon)
>buck 0119 (my all around reasonable sized belt knife but not used in bangaround roles like the bowie, kept sharper and for more detailed work)
>folding saw (mainly used for trimming things up and fitting wood together, can be used to cut something one handed or in a tight place you cant swing)
(cont.)
>>
>>31474948
>not to mention even with seeds cultivating crops on a mountain or in woodland is fucking hard due to roots from trees or shallow soil depth due to gradient.
Raised bed is your friend in that situation, it also lets you pick and choose what nutrients go into the soil. Find a small bump in the terrain, cut some boards, shore it up, and then till the inside and add any fill that's necessary.

Still it's not the best of plans when you're literally fighting to survive.
>>
>>31474969
That is a thought however when your body is already running on emergency energy it's all a lot more work.

Hence the reason I am bugging in, I have far more control of my situation and I'm able to reduce far more variables.
>>
>>31474961
>pemmican(this shit doesnt fuck around. all protein and fat. id rather have a few bricks of this to nibble on while i try to get meat than sit around building lean-tos and eating the 15lbs of MREs)
>hardtack (emergency food. i make 2 different kinds, one with buckwheat flour as the plain and more stable one, one with bean flour, quinoa flour, and teff flour with some shortening or other oil/fat, bit more nutrition and protein and easier to eat but wont last eternity.)
>fishing kit (couple automatic reels, trout lines, lots of hooks, some lures, a small cast net, a gig head, a couple reels, 2 take down poles)[takes up space but i like to have better fishing gear than just some string and some wooden spears)
>foldable containers, such as nets, sacks, bladders (for gathering and/or transporting shit, expands your capacity beyond your bag)

the way i see it the more skill-based shit i learn, the more i refine my tooling, thats more room for goodies like ammo, coffee, fishing gear, and whiskey
>>
>>31474985
>Hence the reason I am bugging in, I have far more control of my situation and I'm able to reduce far more variables.
Bugging in is the best solution in almost every single SHTF scenario people can come up with, fucking off to some rural nowhere place makes zero sense if you don't have a place to go to and ready to rock. I'm fortunate enough to live in a rural community to begin with but come on let's get real here, most of the ~wholesome country folk~ these days are petty, vain assholes no better than trailer trash so they might as well come from the city.

Bugging in and having a good defensive plan that combines being as low visibility as possible coupled with adequate preparations is probably the most sound plan of action for most people. Plus if you can "redpill" your neighbors (use the "FEMA says to do it" argument, etc) you'll be all that better off when you wall off your street/building/whatever.
>>
File: 1389745124543.jpg (514KB, 1000x1200px)
1389745124543.jpg
514KB, 1000x1200px
>>
>>31475016
I'm pretty thankful of my location as well. We are in a nice area not to populated, I already have crops growing, bees and a few animals, Two wells sunk. The house is a little obveous a Victorian because that's what the wife likes. However I do have a good basement that will act as a control Centre if needed, I have range cards for every part of the property, tools, and a wall the while way around.

Plus my team is reliable. Almost all family.
>>
>>31474969
people were railing on growing shit in an innawoods/SHTF situation in that other thread but look at it like this.

1. mainly only applies to long term innawoods and after you have become well established
2. for the amount of space seeds take up if you can make it work its is beyond justifiable to throw a couple packs of seeds in your bag. you dont even need many seeds: crops = more seeds
3. its not impossible, if you are in some deep ass woods maybe but you can find/clear an area to get some sun, also might need to be close to water depending on climate. as far as soil: yeah roots and shit with not only rape you once you get it growing, be hard to dig in, and steal the nutrients, but there is solution. like one guy said raised beds and it depends on where you grow. soil quality can be improved by crop rotation, adding compost, and some plants like clover will put nitrogen back into the soil. pests will be a problem but if you dry and grind the bones of a couple big game kills and dust your plants that will be a huge help.
4. as far as effort and energy and space, something like the good ol indian three sisters would work out great for your first crop. throw an old salmon in with some beans, squash, and corn. youve got the corn growing upward, beans vine up the corn, and squash spreads out and prevents weeds. Dried corn and beans also aren't horrible to take as an initial dried survival food, save 5% and youve got some seeds. Also some plants like potatoes just dont give a fuck.
>>
File: 1468777095100.jpg (992KB, 2160x2880px)
1468777095100.jpg
992KB, 2160x2880px
>>31470699
>>
>>31475068
The big issue here I see with a lot of people is that first point. It only works once you are well established.

I see so many guys on here talk about it as if they are going to throw them down and BAMF crops galore with no real plan on how to survive until the crops have grown or ways they will store this stuff over the winter months. The most common argument back is just... fuck you I will.
>>
>>31474916
You are confusing a BOB with a GO bag.
>>
>>31475025
>no acorns

acorns just shit out of oak trees and you can gather them, remove tannin, and make into flour
>>
>>31475103
I think we are arguing semantics here, they both serve effectively the same principle of "I can't be where I currently am"
>>
File: IMG_7264.png (25KB, 580x575px)
IMG_7264.png
25KB, 580x575px
OP here, I wasn't clear when I was talking about SHTF, we got a couple types of MASSIVE earthquakes that are gonna fuck shit up due in the next 10 or so years, so when that happens I'm gonna need to head east for the cascades to avoid being fucked by the tsunamis that will follow, I don't know why I said innawoods that was retarded of me, I just meant towards the smaller towns in the cascades. So what kind of stuff would I need if I was gonna be displaced by mother nature for a while? If more information is needed let me know, like I said I'm new to this, thanks for the advice so far and the patience
>>
>>31475094
yeah crops is seriously one of the last things you would do. its like a year 3 project almost. You are gonna be spending tons of time foraging and hunting and then processing your bounty, especially considering winter. Theres only so much time for projects and those projects should start with improving your shelter and defenses and resource management. If you got your shelter, water, and arent starving to death at the end of winter, then you can go dig out that little bag of seeds come spring.
>>
>>31475156
Again, the very reason I am bugging in haha
>>
>>31475155
In that situation seems like you need to scope out a place where you can bury some supplies. Sounds more like a be well armed and have some essentials but hide your power level situation.
>>
>>31475155
Well definately cold weather gear.

How long are you planning on going for?
Do you have any places in mind?
Have you scoped out any potential places or done practice hikes?
How long will it take you to reach your selected destination?
>>
>>31475051
>control Centre
Canadian detected!

Seriously though sounds good, how's your electrical situation? I have some solar panels, a few VAWTs (because they're easy to build) and a bank of truck batteries that were free.

>>31475068
It's still not a good *plan* to leave your very functional shelter you're in right now, travel many miles to the mountains of all places, clear out a camp site, and then set up the camp and then build some type of garden. That's an absolutely stupid idea, you're actively eschewing a perfectly viable shelter that's also quite defensible because... why? For what purpose?

Plus point four relies on finding a salmon which is why it's objectively terrible. I don't have salmon around here, I have tiny little sunfish.

Plus >>31475094 has a point in that most of the people who claim they'll cut out a nice spread and to hell with anyone who says otherwise simply don't understand how hard it is to grow crops. Before tractors were invented agriculture was hard as hell and people starved to death all the goddamn time, before that (which is comparable technology level to an individual survivalist) most people starved every now and again and had to make due in the meantime. Those same people who eked out an existence in the neolithic age had a lifetime of skill, the people thinking they're going to grow corn in the mountains don't.

A lot of people have this romantic notion they'll go camping indefinitely and just somehow survive and fight raiders or something like that. I don't know. My brain doesn't work like that, I only think in problems.
>>
>>31475173
Like rent or buy cheap property? Or find some dirt and dig a hole?
>>
>>31475180
Haha I'm a Brit living Stateside, we have a built in generator as well as a portable one. I'm looking at getting some solar panels as well in the near future.
>>
File: chainsaw.jpg (19KB, 355x342px)
chainsaw.jpg
19KB, 355x342px
>>31474961
BK9 is a great knife, love mine. The thing can cut through damn near anything.

Why a folding saw and not a hand powered chainsaw (pic related)
>>
>>31475182
Well you could do that, but really just have a target a set location and say, "that is where I'm going to go" once you have that then you can work from there
>>
>>31475177
If you're familiar with the cascades there's a town called North Bend that's basically the enterance, I've done some hiking around that area a lot so I know the good trails and such, my worry is that roads will be fucked, from what I've read anything near the water is going to be ground zero levels of fucked, I don't want to get caught in any kind of Katrina style looting, it takes about a day to get there by foot
>>
>>31475155
>>31475182
I should have refreshed the thread because I missed this.

Anyway like >>31475173 said you'll need caches somewhere uphill. So yeah if you want to do it like I did you can go bury caches somewhere but I suggest you do it in a place where nobody would ever find it. This means no fields, ditches are a bad deal too, and clearings in forests might not stay clear forever so if a tree sprouts right on your cache and sends a sucker into it you're fucked.

Buying cheap property lets you be more selective about what you can do. If you want you can even rent an excavator, dig out room for a shipping container, drop it in, reinforce the sides and roof, and then bury it again. If people think you have hunting land and use it exclusively for hunting it's extremely unlikely that your cache/bunker will be found.

Or you could just buy a couple of acres and just bury a barrel full of stuff. As far as that's concerned I do advise you put a hose going from the top, down the side, and to the bottom so it's easier to pull out. That vacuum at the bottom is a bitch to overcome.

>>31475195
Yeah, having a power solution that doesn't rely on a resource you don't have at hand is probably best. I have a generator too but I'm not sure how long it'll last without access to diesel, and even though I can technically make biodiesel that's simply not sustainable at all.
>>
>>31475182
Either. You said you were planning on going to small towns and I guess I got the implication that you are pretty much sticking with civilizations and surviving with everyone else. So if you found a good deal on a storage unit you could just drop a pallet of water and dried food and pay your $40 a month or whatever.

You could just find a spot and dig. In some places you can get cheap shitty land, could also perhaps double as a deer lease or camp spot, bury it there, and have the legal right to be there.

Just remember Katrina if you go that route. People are gonna be scared, gov is gonna try to help, resources might get pretty scarce. And if someone sees you got water, they are gonna take it and maybe kill you.
>>
>>31475200
>>31475229
Thanks for that advice, I'll get started on scouting this weekend, as for an actual bag, assuming the worst case scenario, what kind of tools food and gear should I pack for a 1-2 walk until I get to my stashed supplies?
>>
>>31475229
We have a lot of wood stoves, when I built the place I designed it to run without power Should we lose power full stop.

I don't plan on using the generator unless I absolutely have to, a house with power when everyone else is blacked out is like a massive shining beacon. Everything that runs on power in my house I have a secondary that doesn't need power and can work or be powered by hand.
>>
>>31475199
cuz everyone says those are shit and break and i believe them. also, the axe cuts the trees, like i said the saw would be more for cutting shapes and notches into wood to fit it together or trimming it down to size. could also be used for cutting bones.
>>
>>31475247
If I go the safer route and stay away from civilization, should I have a somewhat of a campsite or area picked out/set up before hand? Or just set up a shelter when I get out there
>>
>>31475229
lol my computer died while i was typing and you said basically the same thing. i think barrel cache would be the way to go so you could have multiple. if you are doing just random caches then different locations, but if you buy an acre then only unbury as needed, bonus if someone finds you just give them the shit and unbury another one. buying the land gives you legal right to be there and everyone can fuck off so thats a bonus. fencing it off could be good or bad.
>>
>>31475248

Clothing:
2x wick t-shirt
2x pants
1x long sleeve top ( ubacs )
3x underwear
2x socks
1x hiking socks
1x scarf
1x watch cap
1x bush hat
1x mosquito net
1x poncho
1x gloves
1x waterproof top and bottom

Food and water:
1x 3L bladder
72h long life food ( mre )
72h energy snacks
1x wets kit
1x titanium canteen
1x titanium cup
1x Teflon pan
1x spork
1x long handled spoon

Hygene:
1x camping towel
1x toothbrush
1x toothpaste
1x chapstick
1x floss
1x hand sanitizer
1x camp soap
1x insect repellant
1x sunscreen
2x trash bags

Base equipment (camp):
1x 4 season sleeping bag
1x sleeping bag liner
1x bivvy sack
1x kifaru
1x bivvy
10ft 550 paracord
25ft 550 paracord
1x tent footprint
1x pack storm matches
1x pack tinderquik
1x pack of fuel tabs
1x Vargo hexagon wood stove
1x duct tape

Survival and first aid:
1x ultralight / watertight .9
1x IFAK
1x multipurpose knife
1x small multitool
1x exotac candle
2x lighters
1x signal kit
1x water purification and filtration system

Misc gear:
1x headlamp
1x small notepad
1x pen
1x pencil
1x marker
1x USB stick ( personal info, titles, deeds, etc. )
Spare batteries

Navigation:
1x map
1x compass

This is my BoB from the thread the other day, I have some tweaking I need to make to it, I'm planning on getting a tensile flite tent to lighten up some parts. I am also planning on losing some of the clothing but I'll see how it all feels.

You probably won't need an insane amount because it's not a permit ant move it's just until the water recedes so as long as you have supplies at your bug out location you should be good.
>>
>>31475248
>>31475262
well firstly dont assume you WILL make it there, so dont forget the essential survival items. keep it simple though so you are kinda incognito. basic med kit, 5 days of food, as much water as you want to carry, a semi auto pistol and some ammo, good knife and/or hatchet. and of course your digging tool.

i wouldnt set up anything beforehand, keep it on the downlow. you dont want to find a bunch of hobos and a methlab when you get there.
>>
>>31475283
Man I can't thank you and everyone else who's helped enough, I made this thread feeling like a dumbass but now I have a lot more confidence, I'm gonna get started on all that stuff you guys recommended real soon, this kinda stuff could save my life in the future and for that you have my thanks
>>
>>31475294
Should I have my supplies buried seperately from where I plan to set up camp? Or can they be the same general location
>>
>>31475305
Buddy everyone has to start somewhere. Some people lurk and slowly put shit together but others just ask.

The more information you can gather the better, that's why I like this place. I know some people come here and lay out their plan and ignore any criticism they recieve. They will die.

The ones that do best are the ones that talk and learn and bounce ideas off one another. You may not see a flaw in your plan but someone else may do as you have seen in this chat especially regarding innawoods.
>>
>>31475283
clothes take up a lot of space but you also dont wanna be stinky and wet and uncomfortable. i am very anti-MRE and trail mix. Pemmican, hardtack, and a multivitamin. More food in a smaller package and focus on finding food.
>>
>>31475248
Well basically what's already been posted, I can't really say much more than what you put in your OP image and points made in >>31474916 regarding packing. Also >>31475014 makes some points about pemmican and hardtack, and don't be afraid to bring along dehydrated food, portable soup, or anything like that because it will make everything taste better and break up monotony. >>31475283 has a good list and >>31475294 makes a *critical* point in that don't assume anything. Your cache is *not* on your person so you do not have it, some kids could have dug it up or something at some point or maybe it failed or maybe you just won't be able to find it.

>>31475254
Yeah, there is that, but you can always block off windows or just keep to working on things in the basement. Having power here isn't a big deal, I'm not the only one with off-grid capability, but I do intend on changing the security light to an IR lamp so I can use my Gen1 NVGs for maximum effect.

>>31475273
Yeah, that legal right makes things far, far easier in non-SHTF times and as for fencing I'd say keep it looking old and ruined so it does it's job but you have every legal right to say "it was fenced and he trespassed" if somebody fucks with your shit.

>>31475311
Depends on how many you have and if they're on your property or not, I advise having more than one. If you want an easy to bury and easy to conceal type get some big PVC pipe with end caps and bury that (be sure to have tubing to relieve the vacuum at the bottom) wherever you want. Wrapping it up in a long plastic bag helps a great deal, if it's too short make sure the open end is facing down. When you remove it the bag acts as a sleeve, *very* easy to withdraw with the tube I mentioned. (you will also need a way to pull it out, your hands won't be enough)
>>
>>31475311
I'd recommend in the local area but not the exact same spot. That way if Jonny McHobo decides to raid your camp while you are away you won't lose everything.

>>31475322
I'm not so worried about finding food, as I mentioned before it's not a permanent bug out kit it's a "regroup so I can take back my home" kinda kit. However I may still drop some of the heavier clothing
>>
>>31475335
That's a good idea about the IR lamps that could come in handy by illuminating the whole area while keeping it relatively dark.

While yes I could block the windows I'd rather try to save the fuel for when I actually needed it. Because I imagine replenishing it once it's gone will be a bitch.
>>
>>31475383
If it's gasoline hell yeah, unless you can crack plastic using pyrolysis then you're going to be foraging for gas or trying to use ethanol.

IR lamps let you use $250 dollar Gen1 and also gives any security system you have a huge advantage. Downside is if they have NVGs then your house will be very lit, but if they have NVGs then you have other problems anyway.

You did say you were getting some solar panels though, so that lets you have a freezer/refrigerator and powered appliances which is a huge advantage over your peers.
>>
>>31475419
Very true, I'm saving up for some new NVG's some Gen 3 hopefully. If they have NVG'S and are snooping around my house I'm sorry that's a shoot on sight situation in my book, you clearly aren't just Joe public by that point.

I have a few ground freezers which are useful but the solar panels will be a massive help.
>>
>>31475305
One more thing I will mention, your position means you are in a colder area. Your body burns a fuck ton more calories during cold weather in an effort to keep the body warm, make sure you have lots of warm clothing and layering as well as enough food, even though it may only be a 1-2 day trip try to get enough food for 5-6 days this will help in two ways, it'll allow you replenish any calories lost by your body trying to keep warm and if you travel in worse conditions it'll mean that even if you get caught up you won't run out of food.
>>
File: 1471481318510 (1).jpg (1MB, 1308x2732px) Image search: [Google]
1471481318510 (1).jpg
1MB, 1308x2732px
I thought I might post some of the infographics I have on bags.
>>
>>31475798
>>
File: 1460313581735.jpg (774KB, 2000x1339px)
1460313581735.jpg
774KB, 2000x1339px
>>31475803
Again, I would take all of these with a pinch of salt. No one kit will have everything you want except the one that you build for yourself and your own purpose and surroundings.
>>
Out of intrest as far as home storage for a bugging in how much ammo would you say someone should have.
>>
>>
File: k innawoods guide pt2.png (368KB, 1000x1200px) Image search: [Google]
k innawoods guide pt2.png
368KB, 1000x1200px
>>31475967
>>
File: k innawoods guide pt3.png (478KB, 1000x1200px) Image search: [Google]
k innawoods guide pt3.png
478KB, 1000x1200px
>>31475972
Thread posts: 58
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.