[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How important will horses be in a post SHTF world?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 337
Thread images: 52

File: image.jpg (57KB, 620x413px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
57KB, 620x413px
How important will horses be in a post SHTF world?
>>
>>31440815
Potential food. Honestly would probably be more of a detriment keeping one with you for an extended period of time. Better off with a small/medium size dog breed like an Australian cattle dog as a companion.
>>
I a world where people that know anything about horses are minimal, not very. For the people that can ride and maintain them it'll be great assuming absolutely zero injuries occurs
>>
Hard to hide
Makes noise
Eats a lot
Drinks a lot
Huge footprints in anything wet or soft
Isn't very smart and is prone to panic
Even after the apocalypse, you'll still be a horse person

Can carry stuff
Can carry you and your stuff
Can be a lot of food
Can travel fast
>>
>>31440815
Would quickly become food I think. Bicycles are the most underrated post-SHTF transportation.
>>
Have worked extremely well throughout history. So I guess they will be a great asset to those that have them.
>>
>>31440815
Extremely, assuming that any readily available horses survive the starvation that will be taking place. Literal horsepower is going to be the gold standard in getting shit done once the petroleum infrastructure collapses.
>>
>>31440815
Horses fucking suck
t. Parents own a horse
>>
>>31440815
She could mount me
>>
>>31440815
Horses are fairly expensive to maintain aside from rough assed ponys and the like, especially in a SHTF scenario.

They eat a lot, need a lot of care, die from eating the wrong things, get eaten by predators, & have the brains of, well, horses. They require specialized equipment (saddles/bits/halters) that requires training to utilize. You have to learn how to ride and that requires a specific set of muscles and skills. They a not like a car and have a very small control surface (mouth). They have minds of their own. Also, they must be trained to accept a rider as they are not really cool with humans crawling up on their backs. You can fall at any point and break your back/neck/pelvis or fracture your skull.
>>
>>31441100
(continued) . . .so, unless you are a horse person and know all this stuff, and have access ot the gear and have facilities to care for & feed a hay burner they aren't gonna be much good for you.

On the flip side they are pretty decent eating. Horse tastes a lot like beef really.
>>
>>31441019
I thought you suppose to do the sucking
>>
>>31441149
Oh I did the sucking alright: on your mama's tits while I was fucking her raw
>>
>>31440815
>How important will horses be in a 1860's world?

FTFY

Answer: very fucking important.
>>
>>31441170
I never you were in to pigs anon, just horses.
>>
Fucking pussies crying that owning horse would be hard. fucking people have been using horses since before fucking writing...well except for Africa, they never rode horses or had writing but I digress.

now it's supposed to be fucking hard. Fuck you.
>>
>>31440815
Not useful, simple machines provide better labor and rapidly firing firearms murder the shit out of a horse sized target that will drop the rider as a bonus.
>>
>>31441202
You're also looking at a 2000 year gap between first evidence of writing and first hypothetical domestication of horses.
>>
>>31440815
Have you ever been around horses and seen the required upkeep that they need? Ignoring the fucking large amounts of food that they require, they require huge amounts of training and health related products.

>ex gf did equestrian stuff and I have seen how much work horses require

Oh btw, an apocalyptic event in western countries is never going to happen. Dream of something else, anon.
>>
>>31440815
Yes, quite simply when gas becomes no longer useable, people will go back to riding horses

>muh horse upkeep

People rode them threw the frontier for decades without trouble. and with the alternative being walking a horse is a viable option.
>>
>>31441202
Is sailing a ship by wind hard? Yeah, it fucking is, if it's more boat than just a little hobie cat to run around on the lake with. Even that is easy to tip over.

Is knapping a flint blade hard? Yeah, it requires skills & learning.

Is making a fire with a drill or flint & steel hard? Yeah, it's a pain in the dick if you don't know how and haven't practiced.

All these are literally stone age skills that people have been doing for thousands of years. All of these are skills that will require you to learn how to do them and practice until they become second nature, especially if the "shit hits the fan" and there is no margin for failure

Also, most people in history did not ride horses. They used wagons/coaches and the like or fucking walked. There is a reason the equestrian class were aristocrats in Rome. It was fucking expensive to own one and required land. Land to graze, land to hay, land to grow grain. Training on how to effectively use.

It costs about $100 a month in feed to keep a horse. Add in the cost of hoof maintenance as they need their hooves trimmed/cared for. No hoof, no horse. Now, imagine that food cost, the labor cost in time/knowledge on how to care for that horse. This isn't shit you can just google, it's physical skills. . .so unless someone in the modern world is ready to make the investment of time and money to learn archaic skills on horse care/feeding/use, the average city/suburbanite fucktard will be shit out of luck on riding off into he sunset in the race war/zombie apocalypse/post nuclear holocost/grid failure on his faithful paint.
>>
>>31441263
Yes, and they learned how to do it as a course of growing up/schooling/vocational training. It was a common skill. It is a fairly uncommon skill now, very experiential/hands on, and not something you just look up on the internet which wouldn't exist in a real "SHTF" scenario where "cars don't work no mo"
>>
>>31440815
About as important as a bicycle that eats as much as an entire family.
>>
>>31441307
http://www.aces.uiuc.edu/vista/html_pubs/horse/horse.html
>>
File: Ural Gear Up.jpg (61KB, 650x463px) Image search: [Google]
Ural Gear Up.jpg
61KB, 650x463px
so...... SHTF vehicle thread?

ive been wanting one of these for ages, anyone here ever had any experience with them?

having the option to throw it into 2WD and having the cargo room, or room for a friend/dog of some sort would be great for a bad situation i think.

link to their website http://www.imz-ural.com/
>>
>>31441292

(continued) ... and this isn't even taking into account the fucking dental care a horse needs.

Google "floating teeth." It's partially where the phrase "look a gift horse in the mouth" comes from, as horses teeth continue to grow their entire lives and thus as they get older they get "long in the tooth." The teeth need to be evened off with big fucking files and snips because they wear unevenly.
>>
>SHTF
>see some autist riding a horse in the distance
>catch up to him in my ford falcon and shoot him
>take his stuff and eat his horse
>>
>>31441202
>fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking

ok leafy

my shtf plan as far as animals is to kill a cougar or bear and steal its skin and one of its cubs to tame and keep around camp
>>
>SHTF
>see horse
>jump on back because, fuck people been doing this for thousands of years and rode in the old west
>horse doesn't know me and runs away
>horse's owner come out of house and sees me
>shoots me fucking dead because SHTF adn I'm trying to steal his horse
>shit, I'm dead. Shoulda got a Russian motorcycle
>>
>>31441344
Feels real Wojtek bro.
>>
>>31440815
Gotta fuck something, I guess.
>>
File: I am at.jpg (29KB, 320x283px) Image search: [Google]
I am at.jpg
29KB, 320x283px
>>31441323
is that a DP-28 mounted on that sidecar?

filename related
>>
>>31441335
1973 Ford Falcon XB GT coupe, amrite?
>>
>>31440815

Horses don't need fuel.
>>
>>31441413
Yeah they do. Its called hay and water
>>
>>31440815

>will

lol
>>
>>31441352
horse thieves get the rope
>>
>>31441413
Horses require adequate pasturage/grazing or 22 lbs of high quality hay a day, plus grain when working/being ridden so yeah, they require fuel. Also, pretty extensive maintenance.
>>
>>31441424
Short drop.
>>
>>31440855
>Isn't very smart and is prone to panic
If they're not trained to work around gunfire.
>>
>>31441282
Ships are easy af to sail.
And this is a shtf scenario, you're not going to be trading, you're going to be taking.
>>
>>31440815
i think what we are all missing here is that OP specifically asked if horses would be important in a POST SHTF world.

and the answer would be, it depends. if fuel is not easily available or replacement parts then yes, horses would become part of regular life for that area if it is suitable to the raising of horse herds.

even if fuel and parts were available, if there was any scarcity to them they would only be used for specific needs like bulk hauling or other purposes that a horse or horse team would not be able to do as well.

DURING a SHTF situation you would be better off with a bike, unless you know what you are doing a horse would be more of a liability to you. if you planned on staying away from population centers and more out in the wilderness, a properly trained pack string and a few buddies would be a tough combination to beat.
>>
File: 1444440915110.jpg (74KB, 571x570px) Image search: [Google]
1444440915110.jpg
74KB, 571x570px
>>31441454
this anon gets it
>>
>>31441439
I've seen horses scared of the most moronic things like buckets. Takes a fair bit of training to get a horse over gunfire. More I think than a dog.

Not mentioned, which pairs into this, is disposition. Some horses are cool as can be and great big teddy bears. Some are mean as snakes and are so precise with thier hoovescan kick the eyes out of a fly. They will target you with precision and kick the fuck out of you. Getting kicked in the head is a good way to get dead. Also, they bite. Seriously, they will bite the ever living fuck your of your ass if the get a notion to. Herbivore does not equate to "nice."
>>
>>31441453
If you know how. If you don't, it's a good way to drown by capsizing.
>>
>>31440855

>Hard to hide
Not much more than a car. in fact, rather less.
>Makes noise
Way less than a car.
>Eats a lot
Yeah. Grass. I don't think unkempt grass will be a problem in a SHTF scenario.
>Drinks a lot
Beats gasoline.
>Huge footprints in anything wet or soft
Any other means of transportation just hovers over the ground, I guess.
>Isn't very smart and is prone to panic
Got me there.
>Even after the apocalypse, you'll still be a horse person
Got me there too.
>>
>>31441323
holy fuck, now i want one too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jgxv8WqEU2o
>>
>>31441470
Best way to send a herd of horses into a panic:

Tape measure.
>>
File: bsa_museum_23[1].jpg (405KB, 850x660px) Image search: [Google]
bsa_museum_23[1].jpg
405KB, 850x660px
>>314408150
a bike would be better alternative
>>
>>31441486
>Yeah. Grass. I don't think unkempt grass will be a problem in a SHTF scenario.

Problem is that horses can eat themselves to death on fresh pasture/grass in the right circumstances. You have to transition their feed.

For fucks sake people, these aren't video game horses in Skyrim. Riding a horse is not like driving a car.
>>
>>31440815
You need to feed them. So if you want to keep one you'd better get on well with everyone who knows you have one and make it useful.
>>
A bike would be more useful, outside of being a pack animal

Horses aren't exactly common these days and the skills needed to ride ad care for a horse, as well as having the equipment to do so, are not likely a skill everyone has.

However just about everyone can ride a bike and maintaining a bike is easy as fuck, finding them would be fairly easy as well because almost everyone has one
>>
A truly fit and prepared person can literally beat a horse in a long distance race.

Because horses have to stop to eat while humans don't have too.

Ever heard of "persistence hunting"? Humans have literally chased antelope until they died of exhaustion.

Humanity is actually pretty fucking hardcore. I'd trade a horse to add a friend to my survivor party any day of the week.

Have you seen the shit some people do for FUN? Climb mount Everest, walk on lava, break a car into small pieces so you can EAT A CAR to get in a beer companies record book...... Guinness world Records.

We do shit like this for fun. I never want to see humanities true survivalist dark side come out.

" oh fuck, we have a baby and there's no way in hell we can feed it.... I'll kill it and eat it. Waste not."

Humans can be cold as ice.
>>
>>31441660
You don't understand how persistence running went do you?

It was a team effort much like you would herd cattle today, except the goal was to run them off a ledge or into an ambush.

It was not about being a survivor man and single handily running down a single creature. Horses are much faster than you can ever be, without help even the most fit man in the world will collapse.
>>
>>31441323
Look up some Ural forums. They're widely regarded as the worst piece of shit to curse the roads ever created. Owners expect them to require heavy maintenance after every ride. If you spend more time buying parts and wrenching than riding in a world with infrastructure and the internet, imagine how dead you'll be in a SHTF situation.
>>
>>31441696
Your explanation for persistence hunting is factually wrong. It works by keeping the animal in question at a steady jog where it's heartrate and breathing remain high. This prevents it from dissipating heat and the animal dies of exhaustion. It's the entire reason that we as bipedal animals have an advantage over four legged animals. Distance vs sprint speed.

Read a book you double-google instead of just parroting nonsense.
>>
>>31441737
Its also that humans never get "adult muscle" we permanently have adolescent muscle. Pound for pound other animals are stronger than us. Capable of burst of incredible power and speed.

Humans are built for the long haul. Our bodies dont get tired as fast. We can carry food and water with us.
>>
>>31441737
And that version of hunting is done by idiots only concerned with today's meal. The tribals who had enough brain power for actual civilization? They did it in the way I described, methodical group slaughter that allowed a massive endowment of meat and tools at once.
>>
Outside of being used as beats of burden on farms, not very important at all.

Horses make for relatively shitty transportation, even in ideal conditions. They are very resource heavy and spook extremely easily. A bicycle towing a wagon would even be better
>>
>>31440815
Useless, the amount of water and oatage that a horse would need to eat to remain viable is huge when compared with a similar amount of tools and fuel a motorcycle could carry. You also have to worry about shoeing horses, which happens all the god damn time when on hard surfaces, disease, health, stamina, overheating, temprament, fear, loud noises, scents and smell, it breaking free, spooking it, and a whole mess of other shit.

The only bonus to a horse is that you can eat it. which ourside of certain fetishes, is not possile with a motorcycle. You are better of butchering it and packing the meat in a shit load of salt for later months.
>>
File: 1469672161349.gif (397KB, 245x138px) Image search: [Google]
1469672161349.gif
397KB, 245x138px
>>31441737
>double-google

You gonna get googled.
>>
File: image.jpg (127KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
127KB, 1024x768px
>>31440815
Not very. Pic related can go faster longer, requires less upkeep, and with a few modifications can be made to run on moonshine.
>>
>>31440815
there is an old saying about horses they have too directives. homicide and suicide. they are accident prone, temperamental, sickly beasts. you can have all the benefits with a horse and none of the draw backs with a bicycle. if you must horse, get a quarter horse, or a donkey.
>>
>>31443170
I bike is not anywhere near a replacment for a horse.
Bikes cant carry heavy loads, bikes cant pull heavy loads, bikes cannot go through rough terrain like a horse can.
And in this rough terrain a horse will carry a havier load than a bike will.
>>
>>31440815
A bicycle literally will go faster than a horse over distance. Max speed at a gallop it can't maintain is 25mph with a walk of 4mph and trot of 8mph. A 24 speed mountain bike on asphault can easily go a constant long distance speed in excess of 12mph and travel over rough terrain faster. I'm a cross country rider and can go 25+ mph on the right bike for at least as long as a horse can reliably gallop.

Buy a bike and exercise pre shtf so you aren't a soft doughbody
>>
Very, once all the fuel is gone there is no viable alternative for horses in an industrial sense, no non fuel using alternative can plow a field or pull wieght like a horse can.
For transportation bikes could be better for general transportation and light loads but any kind of wieght or bad terrain or speed, a horse will be way better.
>>
People don't realize this but horses are fucking pussies.
All animals have fight or flight responses and horses are not apex predators, so they choose flight.

The only way you can make use of a horse is if you have been around them taking care of them all your life and already own the one you are going to "use".

You are not going to mount and break a wild Mustang and have him be your war-steed.
That's a skill that takes a long time to learn and master and then there's countless hours more of training the horse.
You will need a pin to keep the horse in to train it meaning you will have to haul food and water to him.
>>
>>31443140
Not going with a Puch Maxi.
>>
>>31443244
The average guy is not fit enough nor has access to a dedicated offroad bike and then outrun a horse.
Nor can bikes go as fast with as much wieght as a horse over super difficult ground.
>>
>>31440815
I'd rather have an electrically powered dirt bike or atv with a portable solar charger. Even if it can only take me a maximum range of 25-35 miles a day, that's still far more than I'd want to walk with a full kit, and it's about the same as what I'd do with a horse. An ATV won't spook if you have to shoot near it, an electric one will be extremely quiet, and it's far more manageable than a horse.

Really, you only want to consider a horse as transport in SHTF if you've been riding horses long enough to be very experienced in the practice, AND if you've gotten plenty of practice riding the particular horse you've got.

Also, a good electric ATV can be found in the 5000-6000 dollar range. You'd pay about this much for a good horse, so the choice for me is pretty easy to make.
>>
>>31443312
You must have replied to the wrong person because I didn't mention bikes at all.
>>
>>31443354
Whoops my bad. Love you tho.
>>
>>31443419
Love ya too m8 take care
>>
>>31440815
ok... I'm missing something. what is SHTF ?
>>
File: 1471361176277.jpg (161KB, 508x610px) Image search: [Google]
1471361176277.jpg
161KB, 508x610px
>>31443535

Lurk moar newfag.
>>
>>31443339
>I'd rather have an electrically powered dirt bike or atv with a portable solar charger. Even if it can only take me a maximum range of 25-35 miles a day,

that's some tech you got there. in the real world, it will take some more 30 years until that shit exists.
>>
>>31440815
after all the gas ran out and vehicles no longer maintainable because all plastic and rubber has rot (probably 10 years into the apocalypse there will be no more tires uv radiation will eat them up sorry madmax fans) horses will be the next best thing.
>>
>>31443575
We've had electric bikes for years now. Same with portable solar charging.
>>
>>31443601
link to products pls?
>>
>>31443583
We've been using the wheel long before rubber, anon.

If North Korea can make their old chicom army trucks run on wood burners we can definitely make tires out of non-rubber materials.
>>
>>31443605
https://www.zeromotorcycles.com/ since around 2006. There are several other companies doing the same thing.
Solar panels are also an old technology. They've had portable versions in various wattage for over a decade now. http://www.powerfilmsolar.com
>>
>>31443551
no need to do that. some nice and helpful coolfag will tell me. unfortunately you are not a coolfag. you are just a fag. a faggot. a dumbfag who will die first when the shits hit the fan. courtesy is a useful tool. learn that.
>>
File: mongols.jpg (1MB, 2110x1240px) Image search: [Google]
mongols.jpg
1MB, 2110x1240px
>>31440815
Mongols will revert to barbarism and breed the things en masse to plunder the few remaining civilized areas on the planet.
>>
>>31443621
all depends on what the SHTF looks like. I'm srsly afraid of a The Road tier scenario where everything seems to be dying, even the trees and nothing grows.
>>
>>31443621
leather could be used but it would suck greatly compared to what tires can do now.

they would be heavier harder overall worse traction speed and maneuverability. cars would go with fraction of their current speed on wooden tires.
>>
>>31443643
>Mongols will revert to barbarism
>Mongols
>implying they aren't barbarians right now
>implying they need to "revert"

Aye librul SJWs...
>>
File: 1471443340199.gif (393KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
1471443340199.gif
393KB, 640x360px
>>31443637
>courtesy is a useful tool

Usually I'd ask "Where do you think you are?" but clearly you haven't been here long enough to know.
>>
>>31443668

They could still run, though. Wouldn't be ideal, but it'd work.

Hell, if push comes to shove we could just use steam locomotives again, all you need is wood, water, and lubricant.
>>
>>31443312
The average guy doesn't own a fucking horse stable either buddy.

A moderately fit guy on a $200 Walmart mountain bike could cover rougher ground, faster, than a man on horseback.
>>
>>31443697
>wood, water, and lubricant
like a sex marathon huh?
>>
>>31443716
Kinda, except you can haul stuff with it, or use a stationary variant to some power machine tools and make more.
>>
>>31443708
You've obviously never been up a mountain in dense scrub on horseback before
>>
Get a good mountain bike instead nigger.

Bikes don't flip their shit and plow through your fences when they smell pussy, Bikes are the most obedient steeds you can have.
>>
>>31443729
You've obviously never watched a horse kill itself and it's rider going down a 30° incline slippery Rock cut path a bike could take at 20mph all day long downhill and 5-7mph uphill to a horses ~3 if it could even traverse the terrain

If you're riding a horse long distance right you're doing it the trot-canter-walk way and are moving slower on average than a bike ridden by an amateur at a constant speed.

Straight line on dirt or asphault a man on a bike can go a constant 10mph literally all day with almost no effort thanks to inertia and gearing.

A mountain bike frame with road tires and front and rear bag mounts is the ultimate gaseless shtf machine.
>>
>>31441481
It really isn't that hard unless you go into a giant ass storm. Most boats are self righting if you aren't an idiot and most also have a motor if you get in trouble.

>>31441453
Agree 100% I literally have been sailing since I was a teenager and started by buying a 21ft daysailer wig 0 experience. From then on it's the same basic model just bigger.
All you need to know is to not point the boat into the wind and your good.
>>
>>31441428
That would be certain breeds. Back in the day there we were plenty of breeds that could graze freely.
>>
>>31443697
And some luck for the first decade or so until people have enough experience running them to manage not to blow them up.
>>
>>31443140
They're loud as fuck though. I wonder if you could affix a car muffler to exhaust system to quiet it down a bit
>>
File: horse chick1470589409616.jpg (19KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
horse chick1470589409616.jpg
19KB, 480x360px
Why do women like horses so much?
>>
File: flare_101[1].jpg (95KB, 800x1067px) Image search: [Google]
flare_101[1].jpg
95KB, 800x1067px
>>31443907
>>
I see the use more in farming. Use them to pull a till.
>>
>>31443939
Oxes are much better at it and are much less frail
>>
>>31443888

They're really not that hard to run, driving them is pretty straightforward and hostling one can be taught in a month or so.

Boiler explosions are mostly a meme, too.
>>
>>31441412
And in black.
>>
>>31441567
>Riding a horse is not like driving a car.
Once you gained its trust and trained it, yes

t.rancher
>>
>>31441263
This is what I kind of figured too. I don't know why so many people here are so pessimistic about the idea of horses. They were literally the fastest land transport for thousands of years and only stopped being a central part of the military in 1915.

Yeah initially few people but ranchers and rural types will know anything about horses but I wouldn't be surprised if in 10-15 years, humans (especially those in the American plains or the steppe) would be dependent on them again. Plus its not like you can't break into a library at a Vet school and get some knowledge on caring for horses.
>>
File: carrello.jpg (135KB, 700x457px) Image search: [Google]
carrello.jpg
135KB, 700x457px
>>31443817
>A mountain bike frame with road tires and front and rear bag mounts is the ultimate gaseless shtf machine.

this. I was thinking about this after seeing a guy with a trailer for a bike. if gas really ran out totally and you had to move, that would be the best option you have.
>>
>>31444086
>>
>>31443852
>It really isn't that hard unless you go into a giant ass storm. Most boats are self righting if you aren't an idiot and most also have a motor if you get in trouble.

My buddy who was a USCG flight medic and Google seem to believe differently. Both say idiots & water don't mix well, and I think I mentioned beyond sailing a little toy on a lake type sailing.

"Been sailing since I was a teenager" is far more than the averge basement dwelling keyboard autist is going to know, or infact the average "normal person." If people go out on the water in the 21st century, they do it on a powered boat to fish, cruise, or fuck off like on a jet ski/ski boat.
>>
It's always good to know how to ride a horse, honestly.
>>
>>31443575
>>31443605
http://www.greenlivingtips.com/articles/electric-atv.html

This is primarily what I had in mind in my post. Mount a small solar charging station onto it and you should be able to go pretty much anywhere
>>
>>31440855
>good for sex
>>
>>31444120
>Both say idiots & water don't mix well

if you don't have actual training, boats and anybody are suicide in the open sea. sure, you may use a motor boat to run around a coastline, never further away from shore than maybe 400m but even that is dangerous.
>>
>>31444146
Son, the number one place you don't want to be on a horse is right behind it. The number two place is right in front of it. I've watched a man have his elbow shattered by a bucking mare. Horse puss may be sweet, but it isnt that sweet.
>>
>>31443207
our you fucking high hippy? a bike can carry a pannier, so that up to around 100lbs of gear. (which is more than a horse can for any length of time.) rough terrain?? at speed a horse will break its fucking ankle.

bikes can't pull heavy loads? how much shit are you bugging out with? are you planning on plowing a field all the way from your apartment to Calgary?
>>
Fuck this. Horses don't need to exist in SHTF. The whole point of SHTF is less competition for the women.

When a horse enters the room, all the women go over to him instead. Its fucking bullshit. Why do they do this?
>>
>>31444120
>>31444156
Former sailing instructor here. If you arent extremely familiar with the boat youll be using, don't even think about it. You could certainly take a smaller boat up and down a few rivers, but the open ocean will kill you before you even realized what's happening.

I live in houston, and I'd be MORE than happy to take a boat along the coast to New Orleans and make a run at getting up the Mississippi (assuming it hadn't been clogged to shit by barges), but anyone who thinks that they're going to bug out to sea is deluding themselves.
>>
>>31444175
This thread is going places.
>>
>>31444197
>How can human males even compete?
>>
>>31443643
The majority of mongols (as in literally living in mongolia) are still nomads who wander the steppes on horses and mortorcycles.
It'd only take some combat training and a large enough catastrophe for them to revert back to pillaging survivor camps for guzzaline, meat, and pussy
>>
File: 1471328889001.jpg (3MB, 2250x1464px) Image search: [Google]
1471328889001.jpg
3MB, 2250x1464px
>>31444230
>>How can human males even compete?
this is how.
>>
File: the-postman-528bdd9444bde.jpg (499KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
the-postman-528bdd9444bde.jpg
499KB, 1920x1080px
>>31440815
Short term people would use cars and motorcycles at first. Even if we ran out of gas, there's still diesel and ethanol ,etc.

If it was really bad like in the Postman, then we could see whole calavary units or something similar comeback.

Either way, I'll keep my 73 Ford Falcon for the wasteland...
>>
>>31444197
We had a great thread about this a couple months ago. My theory was that horses represent everything a woman is taught to sexually desire. Not that all women are rabid horse-fuckers mind you (though some certainly do go down that path) but because horses embody the traits that they want in men. They're giant, muscular beasts who (according to TV at least) are also gentle, tender and caring (see: any woman ever who tells you about how she has 'such an emotional connection' to a particular horse).

This also led me into another point as to why you want to avoid horse girls at ALL costs, because they have a relationship with an animal that, in their subconcious, embodies the masculine traits that they are attracted to, but the dynamic of this relationship involves them quite literally owning and controlling it. They wind up applying this same line of thought to any man they happen to be with, and bad times ensue.
>>
File: wristbreaker.jpg (98KB, 720x470px) Image search: [Google]
wristbreaker.jpg
98KB, 720x470px
>>31444247
>>
>>31444181
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freight_bicycle#Long_John_bicycle

scratch that 200 lbs of cargo on specialy designed bike. sure it would be a bitch to go over the rockies with that, but

http://www.horsesciencenews.com/horseback-riding/how-much-weight-can-a-horse-carry.php

this article states that a horse can carry around 20% body weight, so figure a total with rider of 250ish pounds. sure you could get a clidesdale but that would eat a fuck ton and be slow as fuck.
>>
>>31443817
This
Though if you're going full wasteland you could do what the local homeless do and lash the long handles of one of those dollies/hand trucks/whatever you call them to your bike and load that up with your shit
Looks alot like the sleds native americans used but with big rubber wheels at the back
>>
>>31444175
i have sad news for you anon i have seen horses kick the face off people standing right next to them. fuckers have 360 range really.
>>
>>31444260
i want this! where can i get it?
>>
>>31444146
This guy gets it, humans require certain things and it might get lonely on the long roads innawoods

>>31444175
Mares are kinda like womyn, they'll kill you, but a least a horse has the decency to do it while you're awake.
>>
>>31440836
So like Mad Max?
>>
>>31444211
I go to school in Galveston. Bought myself a 27 Ranger sailed it coincidentally to New Orleans where I live. Before that the most experience I had sailing was maybe 5-7 afternoons on little daysailer on lake Pontchartrain. It really wasn't that hard once you get the basics down. Yea things could've gone wrong but it's not certain death.

For one radios are a thing, channel 16 and call for help.
Two, protected achoranges aren't that rare in this area, just keep an eye on the weather.
Three, use the engine or a storm anchor if it get too windy.

Sink? Have a raft or dinghy.

My entire plan is to bug out to sea or more specifically an oil rig.
>>
>>31444320
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M79_grenade_launcher
>>
>>31444320
>where can i get it?

1. Go through BUDS
2. Go through 5yrs of NSW
3. Go through Green Team
4. Aquire
5. ???
6. Profit!
>>
>>31444175
Right behind the horse is safer than a few feet behind it though. They can't get a full swing when you're close. Still fuck you up though.
>>
>>31444120
The whole point of "sailing since" was how I stared, with 0 experience. I just bought a boat. Used YouTube videos to figure out how to raise the sails and shit. Then motored out to open water and started sailing. I could teach a basement dweller to reliable sail in fair weather in an hour or too. I have before.
>>
>>31441282
sailing is easy
>>
File: Exxon Valdez waterworld.jpg (24KB, 640x352px) Image search: [Google]
Exxon Valdez waterworld.jpg
24KB, 640x352px
>>31444336
>specifically an oil rig.
>>
>>31444320
fucking idiot
>>
>>31444402
My nigga
>>
>>31444336

>bug out to oil rig
>running to a place that is most likely to be attacked by pirates
>>
>>31440855
>isn't very smart and is prone to panic

Yeah they can be flighty, but they are smart as fuck. Have you ever actually interacted with horses?

Also I agree they would be a detriment in many ways, but don't add falsified b.s. to your reasoning.
>>
>>31444352
yeah but sawed off in that paintjob, where?
>>
>>31440860
You can't eat a bike or buy parts for a bike after shtf anon.

>you also can't fuck a bike
>>
>>31444471
>You can't buy parts for a bike after shtf anon.
>implying you can't just find another bike
>implying the millions of bikes lying around the US are simply going to evaporate
>>
>>31444443

>Horses
>Smart

Yeah. Nah.

They're fucking dumb animals. If they hadn't been useful for pulling and carrying people/gear. They'd all be turned into glue by now.
>>
>>31441282
>they often used wagons and coaches

Pulled by..?
>>
>>31444414
kinda like a mobile oil rig innit?
>>
>>31440815
I know I shouldn't. Not even once. I've been burned twice before but God why must women who like horses invariably turn my dick to diamonds.

Fuck. Goddamn. It's happening again.
>>
>>31444471

>You can't fuck a bike.

Do I need to break out the furry artwork?
>>
>>31444487
Still you can't eat or fuck it.

>I really didn't want to use the second as an arguing point
>>
>>31444522
>bikes
>furry

I...I what?
>a-anon I'm gonna...
>ring ring
>>
>>31444515
Every girl I know who has horses is thicc.

I think it's either the effect of general farm work, or perhaps horse riding develops thicc thighs. Either way it merits further investigation.
>>
File: fuck.png (186KB, 450x450px) Image search: [Google]
fuck.png
186KB, 450x450px
>>31444530

You've asked for this.
>>
>>31444526

>try to fuck it
>it kicks your head in because it doesn't like you that way and just wants to be friends.
>>
File: trump in paradise.png (2MB, 1592x850px) Image search: [Google]
trump in paradise.png
2MB, 1592x850px
>>31443902
oh, you can.

you can do a lot of weird shit with those little motherfuckers with enough alcohol and pipe clamps
>>
>>31440815
I have motorcycle. I can survive with no horse
>>
File: KingOfTheHill.jpg (407KB, 1260x1782px) Image search: [Google]
KingOfTheHill.jpg
407KB, 1260x1782px
>>31444558
This thread just took a wrong turn on freaky street.
>>
>>31441433
Sudden stop.
>>
>>31444028
You misunderstand. I'm talking about in a complete SHTF scenario, like the OP stated. Shit hits the fan. Horses are expensive to keep now. The animals can be had damn near for free these days due to the ban on slaughter and the fact horses live for decades... the problem is upkeep. Those problems only get worse when industrial farming tech goes out the window. I am completely amazed by the number of idiots that thang raising animals is as easy as it is on Minequest. I grew up on a farm, a shitty little hobby Farm, about the scale of what most of you idiots think would be a good shit hits the fan scenario farmstead. Mom sold meme food before it was a meme. We had horses, and cows, and sheep, and rabbits, chickens, you name it. All of them, all of them require constant care maintenance feeding and upkeep. All of which would have been 100% impossible without petroleum power technology like tractors haybines mowers and the like not to mention electricity for things like refrigeration and Heating.

Dunning–Kruger effect. Look it up sometime.
>>
>>31444561
>>31444561
Fuck. I hope in shtf people still have obituaries set up just for stupid shit like that.
>>31444558
That's not a bike :^)
>>
>>31444584
Sumo is love
Sumo is life
>>
>>31441522
Or literally the wind.
>>
>>31444545
It's the legs.

It's the way if she's on top of you she can and will fuck you into the mattress with those conditioned muscles.

It's the way she is so matter of fact about exactly what she wants, just like she is with dobbin.

Oh ffs I'm going to call *that* ex again. Last time this happened she went straight for my wallet through my dick. That was 4chans fault as well.
>>
>>31441413
Horses run on diesel you kike.
>>
>>31444637
>tfw no horse riding qt
>tfw no qt
>>
To me? Extremely. Horses are the best all-terrain working vehicle. They don't need gas, you can take them places motor vehicles - and yes, even humans - can't go (go trailriding, horses can go up crazy steep hills) and you can train them to do just about anything from farming to pulling equipment to being a hunting vehicle to warfare. All you need is a secure source of water and a little grazing land (according to the government, 1 acre per year per horse). In a shtf scenario all I'd need to survive long term is a defensible source of running water near a source of good wood and grass, about two or three horses (at least 1 rider, 1 working/pulling horse) my guns and ammo, maybe a week's supply of food, and I'd be 100% set. Everything else can be made, grown, hunted or scavenged, even the horses' tack - I can make literally every piece of tack I would need out of rope and string. All the horse medicine I'd need can be grown in an herb garden with few exceptions.

Ask me how I know all of you who say "they're too much work" have probably never even seen a horse in person. No, pony rides at the county fair don't count as riding experience either. Jesus christ.
>>
>>31444306
They're like fucking elks (alces alces that is)
>>
>>31444603
>due to the ban on slaughter
fucking animal rights cunts. they ruin everything.
>>
File: steve jobs.gif (3MB, 480x292px) Image search: [Google]
steve jobs.gif
3MB, 480x292px
Let's just disregard thousands of years of human history and shitpost about the minor drawbacks of horses
>>
>>31440815
>Bikers will inherit the earth as everyone runs out of gas or has an expensive mortal animal to keep
Envision armies of marauders in bicycles.

Kring kring motherfucker.
>>
>>31441522
Wrong. Plastic grocery bags. That shit is nightmares.

*crinkle crinkle*

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!
>>
So... Unless you have a farm nearby or something and you yourself are a seasoned rider... Where would you get your horse and where would you go after your got it? I mean most people who have half a brain will probably bug out to open country side and flee as the the cities implode and then Tyrones make their way to exurbs...
>>
>>31444693
>Envision armies of marauders in bicycles.

the dutch rise to dominate what's left of the world....
>>
>>31443170
Quarters are a shit breed for shtf. You want an arabian.
>>
I clicked this thread hoping to see women in English riding attire with guns. I was disappointed.

Would the infrastructure and knowledge base to bring back horses as a valid post-SHTF means of travel even exist? Farriers to shoe them, vets with farm animal experience, people who know how to load a pack saddle or leather workers to make good, riding saddles. There's not a lot of those people, and ho many of them will come through the early chaos and be able to practice their trades? Are horses still optimized for cavalry, pulling carts or pack saddles or have those breeds been allowed to wither for pleasure or competition horses?

Bikes or motorcycles with engines converted to alcohol and trucks running off biodiesel seem easier to manage.
>>
>>31444722
>So... Unless you have a farm nearby or something and you yourself are a seasoned rider... Where would you get your horse and where would you go after your got it?

nowhere and you wouldn't. I hear there are thousands of wild mustang populations in the US but that's wild horses. you'd need to catch newborn ones and raise them for them to be usefula pack animals.
>>
>>31441282

Good thing I was raised between two farms, a cattle operation and a horse-boarding operation.
>>
>>31444722
I think most people would stay around the cities because they wouldn't know where else to get food other than stealing it.

>>31444748
Maybe not where you live. I live in Montana. Life would continue more or less like it did a hundred years ago, provided we weren't ground zero in a nuclear attack.
>>
File: horse chicks.jpg (53KB, 367x542px) Image search: [Google]
horse chicks.jpg
53KB, 367x542px
Can human males compete?
>>
>>31444748
>>31444637
>>
>>31444492
Other people's horses, or oxen, mules, or even dogs.

Fun fact Rottweilers were originally bred to pull carts.
>>
>>31444781
>>
>>31444766
I was talking about preppers types when I said they'd flee the city. Mist normies in the city and suburb will probably hunker down, waiting for the national guard or FEMA to save the day. But inevitablely the Tyrones will start Tyroning and suck the city dry as they move on to the suburbs.
>>
>>31444515
Probably because the same thigh muscles that are used for riding a horse are the same ones used for riding your dick
>>
>>31444794
>236x354
Kill yourself, friend.
>>
>>31444769

In horse sports? Dudes are not very welcome in English competition. Males dominate cutting horse shows, bronc-riding, non-breakaway roping, bull-dogging.
>>
>>31443817
>canter

English riding fag confirmed. Of course you aren't gonna make it through shtf in your ninny poopoo spandex, bonglord. The dirt, sweat and blood might make your horse look unkempt, God forbid. People you pass by arent going to tell you YOU ARE NOW BEING JUDGED AT THE WALK, they're going to say GIVE ME YOUR SHIT OR I WILL KILL YOU.
>>
>>31444632
i, too, watch Yammie Noob
>>
File: overloaded-bicycle-cart-china.jpg (172KB, 1200x945px) Image search: [Google]
overloaded-bicycle-cart-china.jpg
172KB, 1200x945px
>>31441605
>A bike would be more useful, outside of being a pack animal
You know nothing.

Junkshop-men of India and China habitually overload their bike rickshaws.
>>
>>31444804
>waiting for the national guard or FEMA to save the day

you mean "waiting for the national guard or FEMA to take their guns and ammo, water, food and medicine supplies and also their daughters if they are pretty enough"?
>>
>>31444835
Because those shitskins eat their beasts of burden instead of using them properly.
>>
File: 200702060134061288.jpg (34KB, 529x372px) Image search: [Google]
200702060134061288.jpg
34KB, 529x372px
>>31440815

>Very
>>
>>31444568
You could say that about anything
>>
>>31444175
They're dangerous at both ends and crafty in the middle.
>>
File: fuck kids 1474590846326.jpg (48KB, 540x538px) Image search: [Google]
fuck kids 1474590846326.jpg
48KB, 540x538px
>>31444867
>>
File: 1464223079130.jpg (24KB, 400x306px) Image search: [Google]
1464223079130.jpg
24KB, 400x306px
>>31444840
Sure.

Either way if the shtf irl get the fuck out of city if you live in one.

>tfw 30 miles from Shitcago

Well now I...
>>
>>31440860

reminds me of dayz.

Fuckers in bikes. Cant here them. Will ride up right on you.
>>
>>31444873

Reminds me of the time a horse bit my brother's pec.
>>
>shtf
>not just brewing your own diesel fuel
shiggy diggy
>>
>>31444873
>filename
kek
>>
>>31444901
>source of diesel fuel
That's what the fat people are for. Melt them down.
>>
>>31444901
how many acres of rapeseed do you plan of farming?
>>
File: 0mmharl928301.jpg (81KB, 468x357px) Image search: [Google]
0mmharl928301.jpg
81KB, 468x357px
>>31444901
Muh nigga. You get it. Some engines will even run on fucking booze. Also diesel is widespread and relatively easy to obtain/ create.
>>
>>31444835
>Bicycle trailer with a machine gun mount.
Fund it.
>>
>>31444873
Exhibit 'a': anger horse.

Anger horse has the following...
>ears pinned back
>showing teeth
>whites of the eyes showing

Anger horse does the following anger activities...
>anger bites
>anger kicks
>anger pawing the ground
>anger headbutting/rubbing

Now you know about anger horse.
>>
>>31443210
But cheetos, a barrel of mountain dew, and survivorblog.com are preparing me fine!
>>
>>31444936
>o hai, you is anger whorse?
>meet 9mm to the head
>????
>PROFIT: italian whorse salami!
>>
File: skyrim-physics-horse.jpg (69KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
skyrim-physics-horse.jpg
69KB, 640x360px
>>31444664
>they can go up crazy steep hills

you don't fuckin' say?
>>
>>31440815
What gun is that?
>>
>>31443643
>massive Mongol cavalry charge
>approx 2 squads (normal, not weapons squad)
>cyclikek 5.56 and.308
>all my wet dreams as a 240 gunner coming true now as a civilian
>>
>>31444886
Dayz is the only game i've ever played that can give me an adrenaline rush
>>
>>31443729
You've obviously never heard the concept of going around. You wanna go over harsh dense terrain in shtf, you deserve your slow death
>>
>>31445012
something attention whoring emos can give themselves nice cuts on their wrists from cylinder gap blast....
>>
>>31443643
>had the largest land empire in the history of the world
>now probably the most politically irrelevant country on the planet
seriously, I've never heard a single piece of news come out of Mongolia, seems like nothing happens there
>>
>>31444175

It's not that hard to hang around behind a horse without it kicking you. There are plenty of websites right here on the internet that provide ample proof of dozens if not hundreds of incidents of men spending prolonged periods of time behind mares without being injured.
>>
File: gute azn gid.jpg (53KB, 800x532px) Image search: [Google]
gute azn gid.jpg
53KB, 800x532px
>>31445063
>>
>>31443959
>boiler explosions are mostly a meme, too.

Nigga wat? As someone who has worked in multiple factories and refineries, I can tell you that the only reason we don't have weekly deadly boiler explosions is because there is stupid amounts of constant high tech monitoring, micromanaging, and safety regs nazily enforced by uncle Sam. All those go out the window with shtf
>>
>>31445051
That doesnt really give me a name
>>
>>31445051
>implying there's no shield to protect your wrist
>>
>>31445028

240 is more of a weapons squad thing.
>>
>>31444854
Loool
>>
>>31444124
How to ride and how to train and maintain are 2 completely different things
>>
>>31444443

Yeah, they stomp craters in and shit all over the trails here while their owners say "Oh, dear, don't scare my precious horse with your muddy bike! You have to stop, dismount, and walk far around us."
>>
File: yum yum.jpg (63KB, 400x398px) Image search: [Google]
yum yum.jpg
63KB, 400x398px
>>31444930
this a harley? i want one. i need more info.
>>
>>31443708
Yeah that's bullshit, up a mountain , youre not beating a horse.
>>
>>31445171
Someone gets what I have been saying...

And for the boatfags that think sailing is "so easy I can teach another autist basement dweller to do it in an afternoon" you fucktards are why I have to pay taxes for a fucking coast guard.
>>
>>31444515

Don't take horse chicks.

They're crazy and it isn't worth it.
>>
>>31441727

Yea well, if you own a non-fag motorcycle you're going to have to learn how to do on-the-spot fixes.
>>
>>31445248
The hotter the pussy, the crazier the woman attached to it...
>>
>>31443535
Shit hit the fan, ever watch the movie The road?
>>
>>31444740
Mustang would be the best in NAmerica imo, as long as you had ones well broken before shtf. Even lane frost reincarnate would have a hell of a time breaking a horse in the wasteland
>>
>>31444766
How is big sky country? I've really been looking into moving near Bozeman or Helena. Best areas for /out/ and /k/ shit? Also biggest downfalls of MT?
>>
>>31444854
S-sauce?
>>
>>31445135
Sorry, poorly worded. I'm drunk watching football. I meant I was a 240 gunner in the army, recently got out. Never got the opportunity to now down herds of shitskins. I would have that chance against mongols, but without my beloved 240.
>>
>>31445394
Sadly this and entropy are two universal constants.
>>
>>31445905

Ah.

Gucci.

>tfw POG but my section just came to possess a 240 and M2
>tfw willing to suck every dick in my CoC to be on either
>>
File: 145983520395376.png (87KB, 417x234px) Image search: [Google]
145983520395376.png
87KB, 417x234px
>>31444867
G-go on
>>
>>31444175
Actually right behind it were you want to be. It's when your behind then with a little bit of distance that you can get kicked.
>>
>>31444930
Ok Chuck Norris
>>
File: HJB10_–_Radfahr-Kompanie.jpg (223KB, 861x549px) Image search: [Google]
HJB10_–_Radfahr-Kompanie.jpg
223KB, 861x549px
>>31444693
>>
File: vickers5a.jpg (61KB, 600x367px) Image search: [Google]
vickers5a.jpg
61KB, 600x367px
>>31444934
You're about 100 years late to the party m8
>>
>>31441019
Horses are shitty animals and I hate them.
>>
>>31445044
You've never played csgo when you're about to get an ace or when you're last alive
>>
>>31446886
No idea what your complaint is, smart guy
>>
>>31441344
It's LITERALLY hard
>>
>>31445221
>A horse walking up steep terrain at 4mph or slower
>Faster than a guy on a mountain bike
Wew

You horsefuckers need to watch some GoPro mountain biking footage. A horse can't go up a 30ft 70° hill or jump off a 3-10ft ledge m8. Or go on open ground with and average speed of 12-16 or 15-20mph like a man on a bike.
>>
File: 1472345491753.jpg (110KB, 705x960px) Image search: [Google]
1472345491753.jpg
110KB, 705x960px
>>31447016
>That pic
>That "protein shake"
>>
>>31445051
There's a guard near the bottom front part of cylinder to prevent this.
You would know this if you actually shot guns or owned them.
>>
>>31445078
Those websites occur under one of two very specific circumstances:

1) The mare is sedated to the point of not giving a shit what goes on back there

Or

2) The mare is in heat, in which case she'll try to kill you if you DONT fuck her
>>
>>31441344
#allchinsmatter
>>
File: cryingindian.gif (2MB, 260x195px) Image search: [Google]
cryingindian.gif
2MB, 260x195px
>>31441019
>>31446958
>>
>>31444492
...cattle.
>>
File: pony pez dispenser.gif (2MB, 171x315px) Image search: [Google]
pony pez dispenser.gif
2MB, 171x315px
>>31447425
Go on...
>>
>>31441203
Horses are usually not targeted because why would you ruin a perfectly good ride. Horses are highly commodified in the old west, if you shot one with a rider on it you'd ruin the point of looting the rider in the first place
>>
>>31443960
Black on Black
>>
>>31440815
>Using a circuit judge
absolutely disgusting
>>
>>31444443
Donkeys are smarter not as cool though.
>>
>>31447021
Youre telling me that a mountain bike with 200 pounds of gear and a rider can beat a horse up a 30% grade or more?
You are so full of shit.
>>
File: 1474412537126.jpg (132KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1474412537126.jpg
132KB, 1000x1000px
>>31440815

How did they condition horses to not flip out from explosions/gunfire while not making them deaf?
>>
>>31449023
Training just like anything else, but I doubt there is anything you can do to save their ears.
>>
>>31449004
Not to mention the likelihood of getting a flat tire on shitty unmaintained roads everywhere you go, and even if you don't get a flat you'd be constantly having to replace tires, brakes, and chains.
>>
>>31449052
Im not saying bikes would have their uses, but over all a horse would be more valuable.
>>
>>31449023
Basically they shot guns around it until it stopped reacting, either cause they got used to it or they went deaf, whichever came first
>>
>>31449068
That guy you're talking to is a faggot afraid of riding a horse.
>muh bike
Can't plow a field you'll inevitably need to plant crops i. Can't reproduce itself to trade to other people. Horses turn grass into fuel, bikes require you to burn your own already scarce calories that you'll have to find somewhere in a shtf scenario.
>>
>>31440815
>Good for terrain too difficult to navigate by vehicle, doesn't require any gas.
>Can carry your shit, or pull a cart; combine horses to pull more shit.
>Can swim across rivers
>Can fit with armor; historic battle companions of knights
>Can alert you to bad-guys while you're sleeping

Also NO, Horses are not for sexual, you fucking degenerates.
>>
File: 1473916919778.jpg (12KB, 426x382px) Image search: [Google]
1473916919778.jpg
12KB, 426x382px
>>31440843
>1984 nishiki rally master race

Try and keep up with my 10 speed cuck bois
>>
>>31449121
>Also NO, Horses are not for sexual, you fucking degenerates.

You can't tell me looking at a horse cock doesn't make you want to suck it.
>>
>>31440815

not sure anon, but there are a few interesting things that come to mind

when gasoline is plentiful, everyone will be driving their gas guzzlers like normal
but most countries never adopted the "90 day supply" guidelines, so resources will run out quickly

and when gasoline becomes scarce, it might be more valuable to power generators to supply power for computers or tools

horses don't need much looking after if you have the land, but that being said if you DON'T have the land buying feed will put you in direct competition with livestock feed

and horse russling will be a thing almost straight away, it's like stealing a cow plus a free getaway vehicle
starving people might shoot and eat your animals

now horses arn't quiet, but they are much quieter than cars or bikes
and horses can move at night without much difficulty, whereas headlights can be seen for fifty miles even in forested areas because the light pollution hits the tops of trees

horses are also venerable to gunfire, someone could take a pretty good pot shot at you
if the horse was hit you would likely be thrown off it, perhaps injured

myself I'd probably stick to chickens and rabbits unless I was in the midwest
>>
>>31440815
big, noisy, requires food and water
why does noone talk about bikes? they seem the to be the best SHTF vehicle
>>
>>31449181
>rabbits
enjoy dying
>>
>>31443238
>there is no viable alternative for horses in an industrial sense, no non fuel using alternative can plow a field or pull wieght like a horse can

>what are oxen
>what are donkeys
>what are goats
>what is hand power
>what is fucking no plow method

Seriously, plowing would be the least of your worries. For SHTF, learn how to aquaponics or just use no plow like the ancients (its surprisingly effective).

FFS a properly setup fish-aquaponics system in a 200sqft space can feed a family of 4, and cost less than a thousand dollars. Plowing is ancient shit.
>>
>>31449121
>not for sexual
Then why do women love them so much?
>>
>>31449201
Go ahead and burn calories hauling your shit around in a scenario where food is probably scarce. I'll be riding my grass powered equine right past your ass.

>>31449216
>what is hand power
Really slow compared to a beast of burden
>>
>>31441486
>>Huge footprints in anything wet or soft
>Any other means of transportation just hovers over the ground, I guess.
Roads will still exist. While I realize horses can use roads too, if you have empty roads, why bother?
Cars you can at least drive a lot farther 'out of the way' if you're trying to create a false trail. Horses will need food, water, and rest. A car will continue so long as you have gas.
>>
>>31449216
There are even fewer donkey and oxen available than horses you goon.
How you gonna run your 200sq ft hydroponics farm without fuel?
>>
>>31449121
>Also NO, Horses are not for sexual, you fucking degenerates.
A mare in heat would disagree with you. Full grown ranch hands have been pinned against the wall by her extremely powerful ass. Especially if they regularly care for the horse.
In a SHTF post-apoc scenario I would fuck a horse.
>>
>>31449250
Fuck these retards. Let them starve. Let us raid their shitty settlements when the time comes.
>>
>>31449207
Elaborate a bit.
>>
>>31449207
what's wrong with rabit keeping?
>>
>>31449259
>>31449259
I...what survival advantage would that give you
go to /zoo/ man, wtf
>>
>>31449273
>>31449275
As long as you can supplant the rabbit meat with fat from somewhere you'll be fine but you can starve to death on a diet based around rabbit.

"Rabbit eaters, if they have no fat from another source - beaver, moose, fish - will develop diarrhea in about a week, with headache, lassitude, a vague discomfort. If there are enough rabbits, the people eat till their stomachs are distended; but no matter how much they eat they feel unsatisfied."

http://www.raising-rabbits.com/rabbit-starvation.html
>>
File: JESUS H CHRIST.jpg (6KB, 250x208px) Image search: [Google]
JESUS H CHRIST.jpg
6KB, 250x208px
>>31449250
>There are even fewer donkey and oxen available than horses you goon

Donkeys take less food and room than horses. Oxen was just an example that horses aren't the end all be all; the term acre for example comes from the amount of land that could be tilled by 2 oxen in a day.

>How you gonna run your 200sq ft hydroponics farm without fuel?

...are you fucking retarded?
>>
>>31449289
Won't be tempted by women in distress who really want to take my food/water/firearms. When you're drowning in horsepussy, you can chase off sociopath damsels.
>>
>>31449289
You can't get a horse pregnant
>>
File: centaur.png (439KB, 894x894px) Image search: [Google]
centaur.png
439KB, 894x894px
>>31449333
>>
File: 1474644852441.gif (430KB, 540x304px) Image search: [Google]
1474644852441.gif
430KB, 540x304px
>>31449333
>>
File: 1470164759619.jpg (105KB, 639x745px) Image search: [Google]
1470164759619.jpg
105KB, 639x745px
>>31449004
>30% grade
>A lot for a mountain bike
First gear on the front derailleur, mid gear on the rear derailleur. Easy as pie, even with another person's worth of weight distributed around the bike on it. Will still move faster on open ground than a horse, especially a laden down horse, and up hills.

Exercise tubbo

>>31449052
>Yfw im running nail proof tires with self sealing run flat tools
You being too dumb isn't an argument

>>31449110
So if you have a horse farm with 2+ horses, can train colts into saddle horses, and have several acres of grazing land you can have a horse carry you slower than you can travel on a bicycle. All of which you'll set up and aquire post shtf. Great plan

>Muh Lind Victoria fantasy where government control is never reestablished and everyone becomes subsistence farmers ;_;
I'd do what they did in the depression, eat the horse and use a 5 horsepower crate motor to make a self propelled plow. Run it off ethanol or biodiesel, both easier to make than establishing a fucking horse breeding program. Much easier to turn a small patch of corn or potatoes into mash and throw it into a still than to grow a few acres of hay and oats to keep the horse I use and maintain in shape to be shittier than a 2stroke motor.
>>
>>31449320
You are a 4channer, you'd be killing women on sight regardless.
>>
>>31449441
I would be in a situation without internet porn or /r9k/ to complain about how terrible women are. I'd be tempted if I didn't have a mare with superior muscle control and an insatiable appetite for human stamina.
>>
>>31441170
Why would you own a horse and not suck it off, do you know how much cum they produce? Its enough to bath in, to cover every inch of your naked body, youre a fucking faggot
>>
>>31449228
>Hauling tens of pounds of oats on your horse so it can eat
>When you could eat the oats
>Muh food scarcity!

Instead of feeding your horse over TWENTY FOUR POUNDS of dry feed a day you could supplement your diet with a few spoonfuls of peanut butter and maintain your weight while getting stronger. Dumbass
>>
>>31449299
well that's something I've heard before, well worth mentioning

but you wouldn't intend to eat only rabbit
keeping rabbits would allow you to stretch your stored/scavenged food considerably further
especially considering the amount of fat in longer life products that are commercially available

I think the chief concern of rabit starvation is the build up of toxic molecules in the blood stream, and the energy/nutrition balance
so I'm not sure you can say three is anything wrong with a rabit heavy diet, so long as you supplement with easily digested carbs and fat

and one chief advantage of rabits is that you can move them all inside a vehicle easily, which means you can keep generating food while mobile, unless I'm missing something just load your cages and feed on the back of a truck with a tarp and you're good to go

also just let me put it out there rabit starvation>regular starvation

maybe ginuea pigs or other small animals would be better, IDK really
I'd keep goats if I had space or could protect them
>>
>>31449486
Where do you get this idea that you have to feed your horse everywhere you go? Do you know what foraging is?
>>
>>31449429
>So if you have a horse farm with 2+ horses, can train colts into saddle horses, and have several acres of grazing land you can have a horse carry you slower than you can travel on a bicycle. All of which you'll set up and aquire post shtf. Great plan
How much travelling do you plan on doing guy?
>>
File: 0005.jpg (618KB, 1269x1800px) Image search: [Google]
0005.jpg
618KB, 1269x1800px
>>31449399
>>
>>31440815
Very important

Horses have great sense of smell and hearing. They make a great look out as horses only sleep a few hours a day and would prefer to be out in an open field vs inside with you like a dog. If you have at least 2 horses, there will always be one looking out for predators. They're very good at sensing a threat and can handle themselves against unknown threats if cornered (excluding firearms of course).

They can be used to haul supplies long distances (Though a mule would be better suited) or for dragging materials around if needed (moving fallen trees, sandbags, etc).

They can carry YOU long distances as well, at a decent pace with the ability to hightail it out in short distances if needed.

They're quiet compared to most animals. Sure they'll neigh around other horses or if stressed or hurt, and breath heavily and snort after running or something, but the majority of the time a horse is very quiet. If on the move, a horse is much quieter than a motorized vehicle, especially a dirt bike.

Horses can handle many different terrains and will graze on grasses as needed, but supplemental grain is helpful.

They're easy to train, however training is something that needs to be done slowly and consistently throughout it's life. You can make a horse do anything but don't expect it to happen on day 1.

Some downfalls though are if a horse is injured, it can't just be "repaired". Depending on the injury it may take weeks to recover or never recover enough to be rideable.

>>31440855
Horses are VERY smart. They only panic in response to unfamiliar situations and without good leadership to overcome their fears. Remember horses are prey animals and by nature will prefer to run away from potential threats (whatever they perceive to be a threat). With the right leadership and training they can be made to overcome any fear and do anything
>>
>>31443926
Nailed it
>>
>>31444257
>horse girl

How are horse girls in the sack?
>>
>>31449526
I forgot about all that feed quality grassland on mountain passes with 30° inclines
>Muh foraging ;_;

>>31449551
Kinda the point. Mountain bike with road tires and run flat tubes is better than horse in every respect. Especially when you can buy an 80cc 2.75 horsepower bicycle engine for wewlad $150

A street legal 4stroke moped made out of a bike set up for shtf with front and rear bags will go 30+ mph on flat ground at about 150-200 mpg and still function under pedal power. Horses btfo
>>
>>31449561
Thank you senpai. Now i will make sure to target horse people first.
>>
>>31449558
s-sauce
>>
>>31449620
Yeah this is pretty much the true SHTF vehicle.

People always talk about Hummers and Jeeps but that will last you a good 1 month if you stored gas proper. They would only work as mobile battleboxes or something(that you moved once a week for only a short distance.)
>>
File: dinosaur fucking wut.jpg (67KB, 640x456px) Image search: [Google]
dinosaur fucking wut.jpg
67KB, 640x456px
>>31444592
The ride has only begun.
>>
>>31449658
With a moped conversion kit and two 5 gallon gas cans you could get from Miami to new York city. Or from wherever the fuck you currently don't want to be to bumblefuck rural America as everyone else sits in their stalled cars on the freeway.
>>
>>31449455
>>31449475
/mlp/ go back to your containment board
>>
>>31449614
Terrible in my experience
>>
>>31441191
Fucking lel. But horses seem okay. Walking dead style with a cavalry sabre? Might die but I'd feel American as fuck doing it.
>>
>>31449730
>moped conversion kit
This is a thing? Sounds great for road hunting.
>>
File: WhiteRaleigh.gif (471KB, 700x504px) Image search: [Google]
WhiteRaleigh.gif
471KB, 700x504px
>>31449879
Yes
>>
>>31449475
>anything but a male zebra
Dat 1.3 liter cumshot
>>
>>31449312
That depends, how are you going to run a hydropnics farm without fuel for a pump?
>>
>>31441486
I found the nohorses
>>
>>31449429
30% is a lot for a bike carrying a lot of wieght, there is no way that a pedal bike will beat a laden horse up a steep hill. Holy fuck are you retarded.
>>
>>31441756
I once walked down a suburban mountain outside Pittsburgh for cigarettes and walked back up with a twelve pack impulse buy. And I'm out of shape af.
>>
>>31450051
Not everyone is unathletic with a steel frame fixed gearing beach cruiser

Unlike a horse, a bike doesn't need 200lbs of feed to survive a week and a half in an area where it can't graze for 6 hours every day.

3 frame packs worth of gear (2 on back, one on front rack) on a bike and you're carrying more shit than a horse can when you don't count the fuckton of horse feed as "gear".
>But horse buggy/carts!
Now it can't go up muh steep hills or faster than a trot.
And a bike can carry the same on a bike trailer with human power. Or 3 times more than a horse with a 3bhp motor.
>>
File: Windmill-pics-172.jpg (2MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
Windmill-pics-172.jpg
2MB, 2448x3264px
>>31449992
>>
>>31449976
same senpai, do want
>>
>>31449992
I require proof
>>
>>31450280
Those YouTube vids are the closest I'll get :(
>>
>>31450175
>the wind will blow enough to charge my batteries or run my pump 24/7 365
>>
>>31450142
Noone is going to carry the feed with them you stupid faggot.
Horses can eat native grasses just fine.
A bike cant carry uphill what a horse can, prove me wrong.
>>
>>31450647
>what is storage.
>>
>>31450775
Already addressed batteries tard.
>>
>>31450908
Yet you can't store water? or more than one or two batteries?
>>
>>31450426
Follow your dreams anon
>>
>>31451125
>I found a place that sells zebras
>>
>>31451175
>>31450426
>>31450280
>>31449976
>>31449475
Does anyone have links to vids, like good quality ones? Also does anyone know if i can buy horse cum online or something? I need this
>>
>>31451282
Barnlove is a kind jew site, sometimes good stuff tho.
Youtube is free and sometimes good.
Horse cum online? Nah m8 thats pricey af. Spend ur shekels on funs.
>half the fun is collecting it fresh from the source
>>
>>31451282
> dat pullout
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TOI0O__qQ_A
>>
>>31451398
Wtf
>>
>>31451398
How did I never know about that
>>
>>31451398
Man, I never see good stuff like this at my zoo
>>
>>31444854
11 hours later and its still up. I'm impressed
>>
This thread has taken a very sharp turn from its original intentions....
>>
>>31452083
Makes perfect sense that a professional shitposter would have that pic
>>
>>31452201
This is /k/ we are talking about, did you honestly expect anything else?
>>
My serious guess is there will be few if any horses. Take China for the post-industrial model: large numbers of semi-starving semi-slave villagers in partial industrialization.

Your future feudal lord must trade off between horses and people, and people usually win as during the Qing dynasty. Pikemen win, slave-built fortifications win. Teams of slaves plow if there is a need. Horse messengers become signal towers. Horses are relegated to where there isn't much more than pasture. They compete with other domesticated grazers as primary product generators.
Thread posts: 337
Thread images: 52

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.